Chapter 3 The Weakest Squad, Team Evaluation. Cont. 3
67 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: Not sure if this chapter is good, but wanted to give Rinji a little chat time with the Yasagawa-san. Nothing else in mind... yet😋] 

. 

Shimura-san had me return earlier for the day and told me that I wouldn't need to return until the evaluation is over. So having nothing more to do for the day I head to the team's HQ. Being rather early only Yasagawa-san and Inyx were in. Inyx was lying on the couch and the Cap by her side.

I had started calling her that since everyone did, at least when it slips out.

"Morning, cap."

"Morning. It's always feels bland to hear you call me that." She said with a smile. She doesn't let the chance go to tease; "you're here early."

"Got a few day off, for the team evaluation."

"Right you'd be participating along with us. Welcome aboard." She said with a smile. The was an awkward silence that entered the room.

"… Aren't you the least bit worried of losing?"

"There's nothing we can do if it happens. To the higher up it just bickering between children trying to prove themselves. Besides it's not as I'm being relocated to a place half way across the world, we're in the same organisation we'll meet ever so often. That said it doesn't mean I'm going to lie down and just accept defeat."

"I only know so little. But what is the criteria for the team evaluation?"

"Thing about squads is that they were made to balance the members out. In order avoid the evaluation it is to perform well on missions. But even those who do so could still use the evaluation as means to pouch members. The evaluation serves as a platform to challenge squads. And it is a redeeming point for the lesser, weaker teams to prove themselves and prevent their teams from being disbanded and assimilated. It just another way of bullying the less skilled. Teamwork, leadership, control and coordination, and most important, surviving against the team that challenges or is pitted against yours."

"… Then I have a favor to ask, Yasagawa-san."

"A favour?… Would you like to know my three sizes?" She teased with a smile.

"Certainty!!" And I inadvertently blurted out. I quickly shook my head "What, no…" Seeing me restrain myself from the natural forces in my head to know she chuckled.

"What's on your mind then?"

"… spar with me."

She raised a brow.

…

"Why the sudden challenge? You've never done that…"

I was currently about facing off with Yasagawa-san in the team's personal training room. She was a few meters away from me with her Kitana over her should, looking carefree. I went with the same one I pick on the first day of training with Shimura-san.

Inyx way here too. Her eyes open slowly by the time Yasagawa-san accepted to spar with me. It was as if she felt something and woke up just at the right time.. Not wanting to leave her alone the Cap' brought her down and she was lying on the bench. Side note, I didn't know there was a bench in there until like two weeks after being here. It was part of the tech, rather than magic, in this place. So with just a tap of a button a rectangular compartment would open in the wall and bench would come out.

"I honestly don't know. I just wanted to figure something out. I'm not even considered a novice wielder but I still want to know how far I've come."

I say this but I honestly do not know what I want to achieve. I wasn't even close their standard.

Let's be frank here. Apart from my own mates showcasing their power, with the exception of Inyx who never had do so and coming across those showing off their magic I haven't seen the abilities of the other squads. Well, I have watch a couple of battle video compilations of senior squads to learn from them so when it comes to grading I pretty much rank my comrades high, 'flaws and all'. Well now is not the time to thing about that.

"Then I'll be on the defense for a minute then I'll attack. I'd be restricting myself giving you a handicap… Ready when you are."

She brought the sword down to her side.

With a nod and take a stance.

Both hands on the hilt. As my right hand is dominant in holding the sword, it was on the right of my head the tip pointing at her, left leg forward and right back. Shimura-san also had me learn to wield weapons in my left to build familiarity, and if my right… well could not be in use.

I kick off for her. Before her I bring the sword down. She took arc her leg back turning and I miss her. I didn't relax and I took the word for a horizontal slash. This time she met and use her kitana with mine to guide my sword away without needing to dodge. With the moment I rotate myself to slash again but she easily blocked it shifting her hold on the hilt to a reverse… But I didn't stop…

"You are to focus on where you intend on attacking. Not only those it tell your opponent where you are aiming for, making you predictable, it leaves you wide open since you are not even paying attention to their other parts. Unnecessary movement should be advantageous if you opponent is imbalance and there is certainty of delivering a blow. If not you're just telling them to kill you." Just after a few slashes she begun to comment on what I was doing.

I was told to look for flaws in postures but where do I look? What am I looking for? What is it I should find?

To create or find openings. But what does an opening look like?

How do I predict the movements of my enemies in battle? What do I look for to know they movements? How do I know my predictions are wrong or right?

Always try to add in feints and try to counter ones from you opponent. Though unpredictable, keeping the mind sharp you can predict evade or counter. But how do I start to counter? When I know it is right to feint? I don't get all this.

She said a minute but she was patient enough for me to swing my sword for a while working up a little sweat for myself. I took a couple of steps back.

"It's my turn… defend." She was already on me before the word reach my ear.

My mind was blank that only one word came: fast. And that was her not using even a bare minimum of her strength.

On instinct I lifted my sword and cross blades with her. The moment of contact I felt my bones rattle and my arm slightly numb. I could only grit my teeth. I also felt the little form I had was shaken.

"Oh~" She sounded amused.

It was quick, I felt something get behind my leg I was all butt first on the floor and her sword was pointed at my neck.

Be observant. Even in a sword fight let your whole body be firm and unshaken." This ended expectedly quick. "Rinji-kun. Why do you wield your weapon?"

I felt my eyes wanting to widen in realization that I'm going to hear what I had head. But I restrained after it twitched.

"… To protect myself and those close to me…"

"… You have the goal, but you lack the intent. You are not fit for the sword." She too.

What do they mean? Intent? There was cowardice too.

She lowered her sword. "There one thing to be glad about. You have good instincts. Your instinct will protect you in times of danger. Putting it to the extreme is also a good way to raise your survivability in times of danger."

I don't know if I should be happy, but I was aware of the instincts. It's pretty much what saved my lots of times, but it's either I normally ignore it or it just doesn't work all together. She then helped me up.

"… Basic sword styles are good for beginners. But do you know why it is called swordsmanship. No matter how basic it may be it is the ingenuity that counts Making that style yours, whether by modifying, or perfecting. But you aren't trying to grasp it, and your sword isn't with you." She walked to the bench as she spoke and sat.

Sometimes I wish they just have 'a guide to doing everything battle for dummies.' It makes no sense.

"Just a month is pushing it for a complete newbie to get better at using a weapon. So don't feel down."

…

I returned to my room after she spoke some more. There was nothing more to do and just came to sort out my mind, sitting at the edge of the bed. It's just depressing. Is it that even with this so called ability I would be unable to use it, not even get an ounce of being able to fight.

[I was so preoccupied with my thoughts that I forgot to really pay attention Yasagawa-san's bounciness.]

I fell back to the bed, spread eagle when I felt my hand something. A second to grab it I brought it to my face. A folder with a title.

I sit up. This was something I have been waiting for. Perhaps this would be able to help me bridge the gap and help me forward. I look forward to it…

2