Chapter 2 Is This A Secret Agency Or What? Cont. 19
59 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ro lifted his right hand to eye level and begun to chant. Since I was concentrating on what Yasagawa-san was saying I only picked up a line.

"O spirits of the earth heed me grant this vessel the power to hold back my oppressors…" He spoke softly.

Then I saw a glowing circle with a diagram and intricate runic looking inscriptions within, a magic circle, appear hovering over his fingers.

Small floating orbs of light begun seeping out of the floor.

"What's that?"

"Spirits" Yasagawa-san replied.

Spirits? Those ghost like entities or the fairy types? God, I'm imagining the beautiful lady in her natural state hovering around me.~~Heh heh heh~~.

"Ro is a Spirit Mage. He has an affinity with spirits. He speaks to them and they lend him their power."

"… I see." That real if amazing. I want to feel them too~~ if you know what I mean.

I wonder…

"Is there a possibility of a person being able to use both magic and have an ability?"

"Here's the thing. Another that comes to play is ones affinity to a branch of magic and it's almost close to that of our abilities. That said we haven't had anyone who has been able to use both magic and have abilities for the both have different mechanic, those two cannot exist."

"But who know someone out there maybe different, after all it is a mysterious world out there." Hoshi commented.

Shinosaki-san blew a balloon with her gum, she took a hand out and the gum popped, before she returned chewing on it. He posture make her look haughty She gripped the air and suddenly a light flash downward a gun appearing in her hand.

"How did she do that? Magic? And is he going to be safe?"

"Don't worry. It's not magic. Ayama-chan's ability divided into three. This is one, teleportation."

"Teleportation! That sounds real cool!" Think of the peeping you could do, and escaping without being caught. I want that one!

"Yea. Though the limitation is for machines and certain types of weapon. Using a designated point she can recall any of them."

"So awesome! I can imagine if the limitation were lifted."

The glowing orbs that were dancing around him slowly were pull towards him making a faint orange glow appears over his skin.

Shinosaki-san lifts her gun and fires at Ro. The bullets bounce off him. A barrier. Just like in the Animes! Exciting!

"It's non-lethal rounds."

Ro stretched out hi hand and begun another chant. From the look on his face he's trying to act serious but it seems he's not happy doing it. The glow of the new magic circle had had different inscriptions and glowed a brighter shade of orange. As he spoke smaller glowing orbs gathered into the circle and when he was done a ball flame shot out.

She moved to the side, still firing. That guns got unlimited ammo or what? Oh right, she could just teleport the ammo anyway. She rushed towards him. Ro didn't let firing the balls of fire at her.

"And the other two?"

"Accelerated thinking and a talent in machine overhaul. I don't know if we can consider the last one an ability but… she know how to handle them. So she falls under the Unique Tech Type ability."

Before him she swung the butt of the gun at his head. Ro clumsily went low to dodge but he didn't see the gun which appear in Shinosaki-san's other hand and fires.

He distances himself from her but she was on him, firing with both guns. He also throws spells around missing her. Her movements were somewhat graceful, dodging and his casting speed really is awesome. Being overwhelmed by her firepower I doubt he could take it any longer.

"So how do you use those abilities?"

"For most it's innate, they have a feeling for it once they awaken. For other they train to accomplish such effects, like you. You might have involuntarily used it but since you were not accustomed to it the feeling leaves you, but you can train to have a grasp on your powers."

"There are others here who are like the normies they don't have any abilities aside from the fact that they can see the supernatural as you can now. So maybe that might be the case for you. But they do well to hone themselves in combat so they don't feel like dead weight and in the long run they tend to be pretty tough to beat than those having abilities."

Hoshi said looking to Yasagawa-san at the corner of his eyes. She really is something. I have to persevere like her if I am can't find out the so called ability I have and want to get stronger.

I focus on the stage. Ro really is the timid, clumsy type. Every reaction he had made and movement he took so far looked sloppy and inaccurately performed, as if this was his first time doing it. He lifted his hand cover himself but since he wasn't paying attention to his surrounding he tripped and fell.

Match over.

"That enough." Yasagawa-san said.

...

We found ourselves back in our team's HQ. I have a question though. The others showcased their ability but not Inyx.

"So with that, introductions are out of the way. Welcome again, Rinji-kun." Yasagawa-san said with a smile. Beautiful~~

"Yea. Thank you very much. I'm in your care. About introductions…" I look towards Inyx who is sleeping on the couch.

"Well, among us Inyx is rather… unique. She can't just use her ability as she pleases. Because of that she has to be in constant rest to recuperate." She looked down. All of them had the same look, even haughty Shinosaki who is sitting on her swivel chair leg folded, feet together. The atmosphere feel solemn all of a sudden.

Feels like something morbid. But for Inyx to be vice captain she must be strong.

"… I see… well thanks again for having me." I shifted from that topic.

"Welcome…" Ro, Hoshi and Yasagawa-san said will smiles.

Just then the door swung open

"Sounds like the loser-squad is all cheerful"

"What a 'you' doing here?"

"Heard the new kid was sent here so I thought I'd come check him out."

He said as he made his way before me.

"So you must be Nonako." He gave an appraising look, evaluating me. "Average.'

[Hey! I know I look average so why do you have to rub it in!]

"Doesn't look like an awakened. Guess that's probably why he was sent over. A bunch of 'unuseds'."

He said with contempt. The hell is wrong with this guy.

Suddenly he quarter turned towards Yasagawa-san.

"And all for this?" He faced her walking closer. @Why don't you come back Kaede? You're wasting you talents with this bunch here. Come back and you won't be treated any worse. Say it and I'll have the higher ups deal with it?"

Huh? Looks like there's some history going on here. Since he came in the others look like they are teeming with rage and self-deprecation all except Inyx, who is still asleep. Yasagawa-san looks indifferent.

[I'm angry!! Where does he get off calling Yasagawa-san by her first name.]

"These useless lot are dragging you down with them. So why don't you drop the dead weights and return to our squad?"

The heck is this guy's problem? The moment he walked I he's only had foul things to say. I can't do or say anything since I just got here and also have no clue as to what ability I might hold.

I have an inkling on what's going on. I mean its pretty obvious. But I seriously hate this guy.Especially with his slick hair combed back and his handsome face which is on par with Hoshi. With the small black mole on the right side under his lips and his narrow eyes he has this devilish charm.

[Add a pair of glasses and he'd give you that cunning scholarly type.]

If all awakeners look this ethereal—like those I've seen so far—Oh my God!! Why am I so average!!?

"How many times have I told you? No! You're just wasting your time."

"Is that so? Tch Ungrateful"

"I am! So what?"

[Shameless?]

Don't tell her I said that. I was being sarcastic by the way.

"Feisty, as always… Well I already got what I came here for." He wore a smile as he turned walking away. He glanced my way. "To welcome the newbie."

"…"

"Oh and by the way the triennial team evaluation is almost here. Do your best not to come in last place again. You'll be stuck in the training room again for another four months whiles we get to do some real job out there." He stops just outside the threshold of the door. "I hear the higher ups don't plan on sticking their noses in anymore if you lose this time."

He lets go off the nob and the door shuts.

"I guess that ruined the mood." After a few moments of silence Yasagawa-san said.

"Sorry you had to hear that" consoled Hoshi.

"No need but…"

My silence was enough to make her speak. I know it's not my place to ask being the new guy and all but since we are a team together their problems are mine.

"… I was part of their squad before transferring over."

Well hat's obvious… Perhaps seeing my confused look she spoke again.

"No, not for any special reasons though. It's personal."

"… I see." I didn't probe anymore seeing as she didn't want to continue.

"But you know what captain" we all turn to Ro. "He's right. We know we are dragging you down. So it's okay if you want to leave and go out there." They couldn't bear to look her in the eyes.

She put on a small smile and shook her head.

"Currently I have no plans of doing that."

That's an expression I thought she'd never show. I mean she gave of this wild, sadistic vibe. But this caring with a touch of sadness I didn't think I'd see. I know I just met her and all but that was the assumption since those sort of people—I know keep their true feelings bottled up. I think she looks matured with that look.~~I like it~~ this side of her as well.

"I have a question."

"What is it."

"What is this team evaluation?"

They share looks with each other.

"You probably know the squads consider themselves Factions. The higher up promote competition between each squad to show of their skills and garner more resources. It's duel between squads of choice."

"At least that's what it is on the surface." Disdained Hoshi.

"It's a way for the stronger factions to poach talents that catch their eyes, including their mentors and making the other less stronger faction even weaker. Their goal is also isolate the weaker ones."

Even frontier organizations for the safety of mankind behave like this. Shouldn't they like be united helping the growth of ever awakened, strengthening the line of defense or something? But rather pushing each other down? This internal strife would be a problem, making the whole organization break from the inside.

[My head hurts trying to process it. Let's forget about all what this could entail. I'm not smart anyway so let's just concentrate on the important things.]

"And before you ask. Since this squad was set up we always end up in a loss. But with Higher ups prevented them from targeting us, mainly the captain. But if what Ozaki says is true. The other teams will be coming for her should we lose this time again." Hoshi answered the lingering question.

So that guy's Surname's Ozaeki. I'll remember that.

"That doesn't sound good…" I said softly, to myself but it was carried across.

I can feel there is a lot going on for everyone. I can on;y do my best—at this point I would be the one dragging them down. I don't want that! I don't want to be the one that drags them further down. I have to get strong, quickly. They are my mates and it is my duty as a member of my squad to perform well.

1