Chapter 3 The Weakest Squad, Team Evaluation. Cont. 6
93 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: Merry Christmas] 

"How long were you listening for?" He said to the girl that had half her face covered by her above length hair. She wore a cape, with the same color scheme as the others, that covered her assets that were above average.

"That last part." She replied, soft spoken, without hesitation. "Time is up. What do you have in mind?" Not wanting an argue from her statement she spoke the reason she came closer.

Seeing her the hulking teen managed to hide his nervousness as he turned away to the one who the question was directed to.

At that point seeing the countdown was about running out the others drew in.

"...Just go along with them. They'd definitely try to split us up and pick us off one by one. But I want them to know that despite their trick we will still crush them." He quarter turned facing his squad. "Make sure you move in pairs or more. If you can solo them keep your guard up. They may be weak at using their abilities but it doesn't mean they are weak. And beware of their Captain. Back away if you are faced with her." He He turned away. "Leave her for me. She is someone skilled, on par with me."

"Captain!" Someone among the team called out to him. They looked to the teen, who had a pair of black rimmed glasses on, his index and middle finger to the side of his head. "They've entered my tracking range. On our flanks. Two close by."

"... Can you tell me who the two close are?" The hulking teen looked to the boyish looking girl, haircut and all which a bow strapped to her back.

With a nod she got closer to the one who had alerted them. Facing her he took his free hand out touching the side of her head.

A second later her iris glowed a light shade of purple, her vision turned gray.

Mapping, much like a radar he could see feel to a certain distance what was around, depending on the size could differentiate between those in the radius of observation.

The girl looked away scanning the front. She locked to a two sets of pale figures overlapping the gray forest.

Tracking, it was a complimentary ability to the boy's, giving her the awareness of the surrounding and the location of their encroaching targets. Including her impeccable aim, if she managed to get a lock on her target no matter where they hid she would find them.

"Judging from their mass, height and auras it should be Matsumura Hoshi. The weaker one being the new kid. The two on the other side are the shorties. I don't see the vice or captain anywhere near."

"It's about time I get the chance to see what that prettyboy's got." The teen hulk banged his fist together with a ferocious  battle hungry smile. "Hey, Ozaki let me handle those two."

"Ken?..."  A moment of contemplation Ozaki replied "Sure. Go on ahead. Take those two with you. Let's see what the new kid can do."

With a nod he Ken walked off along with the boy with the glasses and the archer.

Ozaki wore a smile.

"How about we give them a handicap. We don't want the others to say we are bullying them, now can we? Two from the rest should take out the girl and the spirit mage. Decide among yourselves. Nori and I will handle Kaede and their vice."

...

This arena was meant to simulate a real life terrain, all the way down to even the crickets chirping. They were not present in the sights but the reaction to presence of people sounding real. Just like when animals turn silent when predator is nearby like it had did when we came by a minute ago.

I was perched up a tree listening to my surrounding to know if they were already in wait for us but then I felt something different.

What I felt was different from what I just describe a moment ago. I felt the need to awe in the magitech.

I dropped from the tree to Rinji who had been on the ground waiting for me. I thought I'd get a startle out of him for just dropping up in front of him, but he seemed calm.

"You don't seem shaken up for your first battle. Not that it's something overly dangerous."

"..." I got no response out of him. He seemed a little in thought at the comment. No it's more like ever since coming into the arena he seems a little out of it.

Putting away the thoughts about his countenance is speak.

"... Anyway I've got good news and bad news." I begun, and he gave me his ears. "Good news is; the plan might work. But the bad is; we've already been found out. They'll be on us in a minute or so."

"How do you know? We're not even close to their camp."

"Instincts." That's right. I don't know how to explain but I always trust my instinct. Just like when Rinji even joined us.

He looked a bit doubtful but it didn't stop him from asking.

"...--What do we do then?"

"Plan doesn't change. We lead them away and deal with them."

With that I lead him away.

I couldn't help but smile. I'm eager, you know. I wonder who will come after us. Are they strong. I can't wait to exchange blows with them. Among them there is only three people I want to fight. And one among the three I really really want to clash with.; Ken Daijou. When it comes to raw strength, among this batch he is the best. There say due to his ability and excess training he's body became had as steel.

In my case when fending off a blade I use raw strength in my fists and tightening up the muscles so it can't penetrate, but it's a little difficult to pull off, because I have to concentrate on doing both that and fending off attacks.

The other two are their vice and captain. [Add Ken and our captain to the mix and you got a group of old friends.] As for those two they are on par with the captain but with their abilities it'd be difficult for me to fight them. But with Ken we are similar in terms of abilities though I have low proficiency. But that doesn't mean I don't want to fight the other two.

I blanked out for a second there as we moved. And because of that I wasn't paying attention. What brought me out of my reverie was explosion that came, dust trailed close.

Quickly halting I grab Rinji and moved out of the way. The shock wave sending us a-tumble.

The power in that was enough to uproot the trees and clear out a path.

[If I'd been a second slower that blast might have knocked as out.]

I probably could have taken it if I had the chance to prepare but I would not be in the game for too long.

I look to where it came from. I saw a familiar silhouette in the clearing dust. With a heavy wave it disappear and I saw who was behind it.

"Warriors fight head on, not chase each other around..." He stared intently, a wild smile. "... right?"

Ken Daijou! That drew a grin on my face.

"Well look who we have here. Just the person I was hoping to do battle with."

"Look at you, that grin, just rearing to go just like I am." Hastily, I stood up.

You think I'd be scared with the amount of power he just released... Maybe just a little. But even so, I am excited. Fear is a factor that contributes to the thrill of doing battle with someone, especially one stronger than yourself.

"Hey, Rinji. You good?"

"Yea. Just a little shaken... Who's that?" He replied standing himself up.

"A difficult match up, and it's exciting." I only glanced at him from the corner of my eye. My grin even wider. A battle junkie everyone know I am. And I'm not afraid to hide it. "Even with him here alone it's going to be difficult holding back. Think you're up for it?"

"I will have to fight something dangerous. This is nothing compared to that." This guy's good for a bluff. But the look behind his eyes proves he wasn't trying to lighten the mood.

About turning my head his way, my instinct cried out and I jerked my head back a little.

Something wizzed by sticking into the ground. When I looked it was an arrow.

"Who said he was alone..." From the trajectory and where the voice came from, I looked to see a girl dressed in boyish cloths and a cut much like Rinji's. And a boy with a black rimmed glasses.

"Hey new kid, you'll be facing us." The girl said.

At this point, from the files about him, though it was lax since he came here I was half expecting a comment from Rinji but his gaze was burning, itching for a fight. Like he wants to prove himself.

Something is really off about him.

Pushing away the thought away I whispered to him.

"We've got to hold them off as long as we can. You take those two. We'll switch up and I'll deal with them and then we'll deal with Ken together."

"Sure." He gave a resolute nod.

I hope he understands what I'm saying. I know his limitations so all I want him to do is evade them long enough, and close enough for me to take them down. I don't expect him to fight take them on.

In any case. Let's see how strong this Ken really is.

"Alright, go!" On that signal I rush toward the hulking teen.

I cocked my hand back and when before him I punch out. He met me with a punch of his own, stopping my fist with his own. A shock wave push the dirt and twigs away.

"What a let down that was pretty weak." He looked disappointed.

[Crap I lost it again.]

"And I even held back too." He continued.

My arm feels numb. Just like every other time. I can't seem to properly regulate my strength, or even send up the a higher threshold.

Well shit. Can't stop now I have to go on like that.

It was fast, but I saw it, his other fist coming for my head. Quickly I pulled both hands back to shield my face.

Rather than changing target due to how fast he was, he still landed the hit, my hands taking the blow. It felt like they were going to snap off!

From that blow along I could tell he wasn't using much power but the weight behind it was just tremendous and it sent me skidding back.

I can't back down even disadvantaged. I shake the pain of my hands and run up at him.

With every punch, block, I felt like the bones in my knuckle and wrists were going to snap. Even the shock wave from evading his punch was heavy that if I let myself go even just a little I would balance, and the little momentum I have.

Even as we exchanged blows I kept my eye out for Rinji. I was a little shock to see.

He was holding up on his own. Blocking and evading the arrows that came flying. Keeping a good distance away even as he closed in. He looked stronger than he was yesterday. Now that I think about he was able to keep up with me, even though I had slowed down for him to do, barely out of breath.

Clumsy as he looked looked moving around swinging his sword when the two decided on close combat. The boyish girl used her bow to parry and block, his sword. The material for the wooden bow was reinforced with magic it was strong to withstand the swords slashes.

The other was also running interference with Negishi Ryu Shuriken. Rinji managed to dodge or block those.

The girl wasn't too good either so you can say they are evenly matched with him.

[I'm starting to tire out!]

"You shouldn't get distracted." Ken mocked as his punches got even heavier.

My focus was indeed shifting from ours to their fights. This change in Rinji is a little to sudden.

Could he have woken up, like a lesser majority, awakening his ability and grown stronger.

Highly likely. I'm not one with the knack for mysteries but my gut say it's not quite right.

... There is only two other things that could achieve this effect and the highly probable one is... Don't tell me...

Forced Awakening.

Rinji, I get the fact that you are desperate for results but why would you go and waste your growth potential like that?

[What are you trying to prove Rinji?]

1