Chapter 3 The Weakest Squad, Team Evaluation. Cont. 11
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: It's been a long while everyone. Hope you all doing good? Took a while but finished book one and moving on to two. While have the remaining here and a couple of book 2 but while shift to releasing on Goodnovel, pls check it out there. We'll on occasion I will drop a few here, though.] 

I honestly have no idea what is going on. The fights were still going on when the alarms started to ring and then the red panel flashing. What did it mean?

You can’t blame me, Rinji, after I’m new here and even if you cram all their terms and emergency—whatever I wouldn’t be able to understand anything. 

Yasagawa-san said to wait for the explain about what is going on when Shimura-san come.

Not long after we arrived in our HQ the door swung open and Shimura-san came through.

I've come to think that with the usual position the place themselves it's much like their registered spot, just like always, even on the first day. As for me I stood leaning to the bunk beds.

"What's going on, Shimura-sensei?" Yasagawa-san asked.

Shimura-san glanced at the room making way to the table. I said conference table from before, but it's just a small table which had no seating around. Apart from what I had known to be the usual from them, debriefing… So colour me surprised when I saw what happened next.

I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes.

[Shimura-san… I have disappointed you. But even so it still think was the right thing to do… If this is what I think it is then it seems I did so at the right time because I will be able t help my teammate.]

She stopped before the table.

"This is not something your group would have to be concerned with. But I am still obligated to bring you up to speed. And in the off chance something unprecedented occur you are on standby and might be deployed as support."

With a tap on its surface the table lit up.

A small panel before her showing the map of the world and a larger map, blue hologram, hovering over the table.

"All around the world there has been reports of portals forming. With so many places across the board all combat proficient personnels are being deployed. Even so there is still lack of manpower the squads will be splintered to deal or delay until backup arrive." As she said with a tap on the panel white spots blipped on the map, mapping the whole world. “…” She continued with the debriefing.

The room that had been under tension turned even more glum.

Yasagawa-san squinted in somewhat perplexed before speaking,

"How come they were able to bypass detection?"

"We assume a large concealment spell."

"Deploying all our forces would barely cover the amount of space, not forgetting the time it will take to get there. How do the bigwigs plan on dealing with that." Shinosake-san commented, then asked.

"Mentors and your seniors from all around the world, down to the prefectures here will head over to places deemed eminent and distant places as if left alone might break leaning to who knows what coming through."

She pinched out zooming in our country.

"… We can't just sit here and wait for something to happen before sending us in. Why can’t they just let us go in immediately?" That was from Hoshi.

I can only barely understand what is going on but can tell it’s really serous so I really can't help but worry. This seems like some Armageddon stuff you know. I've watch it in the movies and this right here is playing in the same way. I worry for my family, and the friends I know should this go overboard. So I ave to agree with him.

"Then let me ask you. How certain are you, that you can hold up against whatever might come through the portal you find, until backup arrives? How certain are you that you powers wouldn't fail you just like it did a few minutes ago? Or are you the type to want to sacrifice the lives of your teammate to achieve success? Your going would only make things harder for the others."

Even though her expression and tone had no fluctuation her words were piercing.

Side note. I didn't say anything because of the atmosphere in this whole place. I could see bits from the burns and tears on Yasagawa-san's dress. If only just a little more I could have seen more, I and if lucky I could have gotten an eyeful. Such a shame!

It's been three days since the alarms went off. The place barely had anyone around. You could very well say we were the only people around, excluding those who don't really showed their faces.

The first day was heavy and tense.more because of the silence that came. As the break of the portal was eminent everyone was on edge. You could feel in the atmosphere all the way to here.

The good thing was, with the delay had more they had more time to prepare, but still couldn't move to other portals to apply the same. Another thing that made them more on edge was the longer the delay the more such eminent portals grew.

We got this from the delay briefs which were relayed to Yasagawa-san.

Since there was pretty much nothing to do we basically lay around the HQ. Yasagawa-san going down into our training facility to keep herself busy. Shinosaki-san was on her rig running some programs and checks from the real-time update. She had her focus more on on fine tuning her stuff whiles paying attention to the updates.

Hoshi and Inyx took the bunks. Ro sat cross-legged on the sofa you'd usually find Inyx on. He really looks like a Buddha with the soft glow around him.

I, on the hand had nothing more than my thoughts to go with. I found the weight bearing on me more than anything. I couldn’t help but wonder, was there a possibility that 'it' would be among them? That one that all this begun with. I'm afraid they would subjugate it before I can.

And if could would the me now have been strong enough to hold against it. The director did say they were tricky creatures, so would it be the same as before.

Such were the thoughts in mind as I lingered there now empty campus and hallways.

And when I felt for it I would go join the other who barely left HQ even for sleep and move my body around the training room with either Hoshi or yasagawa-san…

"You seem out of it this couple of days."

It was on the day when the portals started opening up and the demons and monsters came through did I hear that question from Yasagawa-san.

The wards and isolation barriers had been set prior to the eminent ones so the were somewhat under control, but the tension only got higher as they had now opened. Reason being there could be a sudden change in the inactive which were now starting to react. The lack of man power really was a problem. And the rising numbers coming through the portals were beginning to take a toll.

Since this was widespread the respective heads of states has been alerted and the appropriate regulations have been put in place. After all not all of these could be always hidden. There the aftermath of destructions and loss of life. So making the governments aware makes it easier for coverups. It goes as far as some of them in high positions are Awakened themselves.

[All in all you could say the world was under the organisations’ hands these past few days.] 

Today I was observing her as she phantom trained and trying to mimic the little I could, but I didn’t have that much of spirit to do so. I lowered the sword in my hands, straightening myself up a little.

"… I'm just worried. I checked it and… there seems to be a portal a little away from my neighborhood. I can't let go of the fact that it might reach my neighborhood and my friends and family may get hurt… or worse."

I tighten my grip on the sword.

"…" Even she didn't know how to reply, with a momentary pause in her movement.

Honestly I’ll just rush down. Should I hear anything come up there and there wasn't anyone to deal with I'd go myself if I have to.

"… Hey, Yasagawa-san, do you think what I did was wrong?"

"What are you talking about?" She gave me her signature sly smile.

"… Don't act like you don't know. I'm sure you've heard it from Shimura-san. Forced Awakening. Hoshi might be aware. Shinosaki-san could just check it up if she was a little suspicious of me…"

Ever since I came here, apart from that one time Yasagawa-san always has her smile on and today is the second. It was just a subtle solemn feeling. She paused, took a neutral stance,

"… Everyone has a reason they fight. Noble or not. What you do to achieve should goal, is part of your conviction. Whether it fail or succeeds you would bare its weight… That said it's good to know your limit and act accordingly trying to over came it. Those who rush in to achieve such quick result are fools. Then again such procession may have been the right path for them. So you never know…” As she spoke she shifted to a Chudan stance and begun swinging her Katana. 

“Though in regards to the Forced awakening you yourself should know what come after failure. There ends your limit, never to grow stronger again.” She concluded.

The facts about the Forced awakening were undeniable as it seems. So it ends here for me.

But I'm I really to blame. I'm not cut out for this. If they had done a better job to begin with I would have never been in this place. I would have never gone through the Forced Awakening, nor would I have ever known this side of the world.

… No… The is no point to blaming others. As much as this organisation was created to deal with them. They really have no obligation to fight but they had being doing so regardless, for centuries.

I return my gaze to her still swinging her blade. Even with the slightly crude of this place, the scene looked breath taking. She had been at it for quite a while before I got here and there was barely any sweat on her. But looking at her, with the thin layer that coated her face made her more alluring.

[If she hadn't been one in this organization, or one with abilities she could have been a real famous idol. She gave of that matured yet playful vibe that the fans word just die for.]

With a soft grunt she struck once more before opening her mouth,

"… Even so, don't let the procession or people dictate your limits. If you have accepted it then that it. But should you keep tried there may be hope yet to break through and become stronger." She wore no smile, just a deep solemn as though the words not just for me but herself as well.

Just when she looked like she was going to continue swinging her blade a familiar voice reverberated across the room. It's a little surprising since I couldn't see any P.A. system in these place. But then thinking about it with this place having magic and tech it shouldn't be two difficult to work around it. They could be perfectly hidden within or behind the walls. Maybe even magic circles embedded into the walls, stealthy as well. And then there’s the fact of calling us up when we are down here, just like now. Such convenience.

"… Kae. Mentor is here. I called for Hoshi-kun and Roka, they are on their way. You two should come up. It's urgent." It was Shinosaki-san.

Yasagawa-san lowered the Katana. She walked of the platform.

"Let go…"

She place the blade into the scabbard as we made our way out.

...

When we got there Ro and Hoshi had also just made it in. Shimura-san was already waiting by the table.

"As of now Emergency Protocol Omega is in effect. With the casualty rates rising and the lack of manpower the weaker squads are to partake as support. Mentors and trainers will head off as well to deal with places that have yet to have any of our people to handle the rampage of the creatures coming out."

Hearing this honestly makes me feel scared. But I knew what I signed up for so I can't complain.

"Even if you tell us this it's not as if we are allowed to participate. After all we will be seen as no more than niusance." Hoshi commented, folding his arms.

"Yes... but you too are being deployed."

"What!"

"You're serious?" Caught off by her reply they all looked shocked. Even Hoshi's arms coming back down.

"Your mission, right here." Double tapping the screen before her the map quickly zooms in, giving us a clear aerial view and the white spot in middle.

No way!! That's the one not far away from my neighborhood!! Seems my fears had come true. Then what would happen if left alone, destruction. Mom, Dad, Orino. I don't know if I'm strong to fight what came out of the portal but I coming. Along with my comrades I will protect you!!

0