A Murderer in the Rain
51 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello readers! 

This will just be a short mystery story that I wrote in my free time, so it will end rather quickly. Still hope it's a good read to pass time if you need a quick read.

Enjoy!

The Jackson’s three-story mansion always had something to be in awe of for any passerby who happened to be looking at it. With lush greenery surrounding its thick high stone walls, it was an old fashioned brick mansion reminiscent of the industrial age with old fashioned long windows that have been appropriately maintained.

One of the richest and highest noble of the kingdom, the Jackson family were not one to be trifled with.

On this one particular night, there was an ordinary thunderstorm.

A lone middle-aged man out in the night was in one of its luxury bedrooms, sitting on his bed, brooding and thinking.

I should apologise to him.

He made a resolve in his heart. The apology has to be done today. Right now.

Getting off the bed, he handed out his hand towards the door and slowly turned its knob.

That’s when he heard it.

 

BANG! BANG! BANG!

 

It didn’t startle him. Instead, the man found his legs suddenly sprinting downwards towards the first-floor study room.

In his mind, he recognised those sounds, and they only meant one thing.

Gunshots.

As soon as he entered the room, the sudden smell of gunpowder filled his nose. A black silhouette encompassed the small chair in the middle of the room. There was a small light table on its side, with a thick book resting on it.

The man slowly stepped into the room when he felt his feet kicking an object on the floor. Slowly bending down, he blindly picked it up.

His eyes went wide. 

It was a pistol that he recognised. Many questions floated in his head. 

Holding the gun, he returned his view to the silhouette on the chair. Approaching the small light illuminating the only small part of the room, he finally understood what happened.

No. This has to be a mistake. I have to get away quickly.

Without any hesitation, he threw the gun to the side and quickly bolted out of the room. In the hallway, he quickly ran towards the large doors of the hallway that leads outside.

He heard a couple of loud steps behind him, but he had no time to look at who was there. He used all his strength to open the large doors quickly and sprinted towards the metal gates. Since he lived there for many years, he expertly opened it in a way that had been ingrained in his memory.

Without a 2nd thought, he left the compound. The severe rainy weather on top of the nightly conditions didn’t disturb him at all as he disappeared into the void, leaving only footsteps in his wake.

There was only one remaining place he could simply go.

He heard it within the upper echelons of nobles before. Rumour has it that even the 3rd Princess of the Asiana Kingdom was in it too.

The man could only simply hope that the people over there would be graceful enough to assist his predicament.

2