Another Visit To the Mansion
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We are near the end of this book, so I will be releasing the remaining chapters once per week from now on.

I'm still considering if I should write bigger mystery stories with school life/romance/yuri/harem(guy or girl) thrown in, but unsure of the commitment.

Or maybe I should write other genres as the main theme instead.

Sigh... 

“That’s… interesting,” Alice remarked.

Betty had rushed back to the clubroom after meeting Sebastian. She came across Alice who was still there thinking and relaxing about the case.

She informed everything of what had transpired and the new details as soon as her breath had steadied.

“The guns are stolen at two different periods?” Alice clarified. “ Several weeks before and the night before the murder, right?”

“Yes, so either one is lying, or both were telling the truth.”

“I agree,” Alice nodded. “This case has made some progress. Good Job, Betty.”

“R-really?”

“Yes, you did the right thing by following Sebastian.”

A hand landed on Betty’s head, patting it once.

 The petite girl quickly moved away, her face flush though not with anger.

“Hmph! I-I just want to help solve the case!”

The grey-haired youth smiled knowingly. This girl remains the same, no matter the situation they were in. She then tapped her chin lightly, glancing down.

“I wonder why Daniel lied to us about owning a gun…”

The girl stared at the whiteboard, all the evidence and facts presented to her. But within her mind, a lot of gears were turning.

Whoever is behind this case was detailed and cunning.

Not only was the evidence hard to find and hidden well. The facts of the case were quite convoluted and well thought off to deter anyone who investigated to go veering off course. The person used the human element associated with the victim to make this entire thing more complicated with people saying different things about what they believe to be happening.

This was a challenge that she always loved. In a lot of these kinds of cases, it gave her the thrills and kept her mind engaged.

A faint hint of excitement fell into her eyes. 

Not realising it, Betty recoiled slightly after seeing the increasingly sharp glint from those stormy grey eyes.

A storm is indeed coming, and it would eventually fall on the murderer once the detective club finds the culprit.

A decision arrived towards the grey-haired youth.

“Alright, let’s call the group and go to that mansion again. I think we should have another round of interviews and check the mansion for anything that we missed.”

 


 

“So why are we here again?” Elaine whispered to her friend.

“Not sure myself…” Betty answered softly.

They were at the Jackson's mansion again, surprised for suddenly being called to meet outside the place the very next morning by their leader.

The duo had not had many ideas about what was happening. Alice had said nothing along the way.

There’s nothing left to be done as police have combed through the place and there was nothing new to be found. They have even left the site unguarded while the study room has been restored to its original environment.

The club was now at the mansion’s compound, heading towards the door entrance.

Daisy meanwhile spoke up, “So Alice cares to explain why we are here again?”

Alice stopped in her footsteps and turned to the group, and they did the same. “I am just wondering… isn’t the case a bit too easy?”

Daisy took a moment to decide, “I think so. It’s like a perfectly wrapped package.”

As announced in the club the evening prior, the news released just this morning stated that a man was being held in relation to the recent murder. He was someone who would assist the authorities in the case.

Although no name was disclosed for the people involved, it was painfully obvious.

Thus, for them to be here again, Daisy felt that the Jackson’s family could get quite weary of them considering that they got the man they were searching for.

“That’s what makes me feel quite uneasy about this case,” Alice informed them of her thoughts.

“The gun wrapped nicely in a bag. Two different people claimed the gun weapon had been stolen on two different dates. And Daniel seemingly running away right after the murder.”

The girls watched their leader pacing deeply, pacing around. They used to see a familiar sight in a lot of cases they’ve been to.

“So I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask someone about the case. To be more precise, the sister of the three siblings, Yui.”

“Yui?” Betty narrowed her eyes, “Why her?”

“I just want to confirm some things,” Alice shrugged.  “I set up a meeting with her just earlier today. We are going to meet her once we get in.”

The grey-haired youth started walking to the door and swung it open. 

The rest followed behind quietly, having no comment.

 


 

Yui opened the door of her room and greeted the girls with a smile that Betty thought was only a few degrees above the water’s melting point.

“Still trying to find out more about us, girls? I thought you got the man already?”

Her voice sounded shrill and reminded Betty of a fingernail scratching a blackboard.

Despite Alice’s earlier call, she appeared quite wary and suspicious of them, just as Betty predicted earlier.

Yui closed the door behind her as she faced the four girls standing in front of her. 

It was Alice who answered her question.

“It was very good of you to see us again, Yui. I know how busy you are with your paintings.”

“Busy?” The woman ran her painted hands along with her hair,” I’m busy looking for inspiration. Ideas. It tends to get hard as you grow with age.”

Together, they slowly head towards the staircase. 

“I hope we are not going to the study room again. The wretched cat in there has been quite unpleasant lately with the loss of his master.”

She raised her hands to show some faint scratches marks. 

The group reached the top of the staircase and together looked down. 

Alice nodded in encouragement for the woman to continue. Meanwhile, Elaine had already had her phone out to take down notes.

The woman slowly closed her eyes as she tried to recall.

“I was standing here when I saw Daniel run from the study room after killing Father. I will never forget that moment.”

“I can imagine,” Daisy spoke courteously. “Tell me, Yui, when you saw Daniel leaving the library, was he carrying a gun?”

“I can’t remember,” the woman spoke warily.

“But you just said you never forgot the moment just a moment ago, “Betty pointed out. “Aren’t artists like you who recall details easily?”

Despite the disdainful look on Yui’s face briefly, Betty only continued to look on with scepticism.

Alice’s lips curled up in satisfaction. Betty did her usual job of pointing things out that no one else did.

Yui covered her face with her hand as if shielding herself from a painful memory. “I’m not good at details, despite being an artist.”

The petite girl frowned deeply.

How could an artist and painter like her not be able to remember details? Isn’t that what her job is all about? Yui even mentioned looking for inspiration. That meant needing to recall any particular characteristics of a scene. Hence, her answer seemed strange.

Elaine, who had been typing notes, paused. She made a pleading smile with a soothing voice, “Please do try to remember.”

Yui took a deep breath. She was silent a moment before her hand dropped to her side as if she had decided on something.

“Yes… I believe he did.”

“Are you positive?” Daisy asked.

“I just said so, didn’t I?”

The rest quickly asked along.

“It was his gun?”

“He owned it?”

“Yes, and yes, I believe it was his gun!” Yui snapped. “I just told you!”

“That is strange, Miss Yui,” Elaine spoke up, checking the notes on her phone. “Previously, you said he got a gun, but you didn’t know where he got it from.

“Are you telling me that I am a liar?”

“Of course you are, Miss Yui,” a voice came from the right. 

Everyone turned to see Sebastian walking toward them. He had emerged from a wall which showed that he had listened over everything that transpired.

“I think that’s what they are trying to tell you. And I also knew it all along. I believe it’s about time for you to tell them everything you know of the truth.”

0