[10]
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked through the scope one more time, my fingers slick with sweat as they lingered over the trigger. The safety was off. I could see his head through the scope, his grey skin twitching slightly as he focused on me. His gun was trained on me but he was waiting, giving me one final chance to redeem myself after all these years. I almost saw the beginning of a smile on his face.

I knew he wouldn’t give me more than a second, so I held my breath as I moved the gun three centimeters to the right.

Do it now.

Gregis’s finger moved, pulling his own trigger, and I did the same.

My gun kicked back as soon as I fired and I didn’t have the reflexes to see the bullet fly through the air. I did, however, see him smile…and he didn’t move.

He didn’t snap his neck to the right as he had before.

He knew I would predict his next move and had instead done nothing.

I missed.

I failed.

I was predictable.

As his pellet his me in the neck, right where I’d tried to hit him, I felt my eyes water from both the pain and the loss of my one chance to prove myself.

Were we all going to be dismissed now? Deemed unworthy to fight the Calumnia?

A tear soaked my cheek as I released the weapon, letting it fall to the grass. Gregis must be so disappointed in us…

So why was he smiling?

“They look happy,” Scotia whispered, pointing at the glass window on the far end of the training room. Sure enough, the four other Occisio were standing there, grey tablets in their hands and wide smiles on their faces. It looked eerie on them, not welcoming and friendly like when we smiled at each other.

“Shouldn’t they be angry we lost?” Sina asked, as confused as I was.

Scotia was the only one who didn’t look surprised. Maybe I shouldn’t be either.

“Grab your weapons and come here,” Gregis called, his voice almost gleeful. It was so different from his normal monotone. “And wipe the paint from your faces.”

Zealand was seething as always, breathing so hard his entire body shook. Graec and Libyci looked like Congo and Sarmatia had yesterday, terrified of getting kicked out.

As we formed a circle around Gregis, weapons in hand, I took a deep breath to prevent any more tears from falling.

“Well done, students.” Gregis turned away from us and walked toward our barracks, motioning for us to join him. “You have proved your worth.”

None of us spoke. We just glanced at each other, breathing heavily. What was he talking about? We failed!

Only Scotia bothered to speak up.

“Done well?” She laughed. “How have we done well? We were defeated in five minutes against one opponent!”

“Exactly,” the alien whispered and a shiver ran up my spine.

He led us down the hall we’d lived in for ten years, then through the cafeteria until we were at the far end of the room.  I held my breath as Gregis stopped in front of the cafeteria’s wall and it opened before him, revealing a door I’d never known existed.

“My colleagues and I have always been impressed by each of you,” our mentor continued, his smooth steps making zero sound on the floor as he proceeded. “You have given us immeasurable insights into your race.”

Insights? I thought we were supposed to study the Calumnia and how to defeat them.

“And we have decided you are the best humanity has to offer. You have proven to be capable in every way we require. Now, you are to become Earth’s last hope, the new generation that will repopulate your planet.”

“But there’s still humans on Earth. It doesn’t need repopulation,” Zealand said with a chuckle as the wall finished opening, revealing another small room behind it. As Gregis led us into this new area, I spotted six small bags on the floor. They must be packs for us.

“Yes.” Gregis glanced fleetingly at Zealand, then gracefully waved his hand toward the packs. “Each of you must take one. These backpacks possess the tools you need to survive on Earth.”

“Weapons?” Sina asked but Gregis didn’t answer.

I stooped to pick one up. It was so heavy I nearly fell when swinging it on my back.

As we each chose a pack, I felt the ground beneath us move, like the entire room was moving downwards. Were we finally going to Earth? Right now? This was a little sudden. I wasn’t mentally prepared.

0