Chapter 2: Meeting
282 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I parked my car in the driveway and switched off the engine. The whole workday had been a blur; I honestly couldn’t tell anyone what I had done today. God, what am I going to tell the kids? Their father has left them, and now their mother is going to have to leave. And I haven’t even found anyone to look after them. I softly banged my head against the steering wheel And sat there for a few moments as I tried to come up with a plan of what to say to the kids. But nothing came up. I looked at the time the kids would be home soon. I sighed. Come on, Reiko, you cant sit here all night. You’re going to have to face the music. I steadied my nerves and walked to the front door and opened it. I was greeted by the same mess in the passageway. I sighed and hung up my coat.

“HAHAHAHHAHAH”

It was a voice I had never heard before, a female one. I climbed over the mountain of clothes and made my way towards the laughter.

“Oh Lucy, what splendid times we have had”

Lucy? It isn’t like her to bring friends over. I entered the dining room and saw lucy sitting at the table with a woman dressed in very old-fashioned clothing with purple hair.

“Oh, Reiko, your back. I’m sorry I saw your message, and I forgot to reply. Oh, where am I manners this is-”

“It's fine. I can introduce myself," she said, cutting lucy off. She walked up to me and did a small bow. "Hello, Mrs Nakamura. I'm Vesper, a friend of lucy. I was just in the local area meeting up with my old friend here." she said joyfully. "Lucy here tells me that you are in need of a nanny to look after the kids. Is this true?"

"Y-Yes. I'm sorry my mind has been all over the place today."

"It'S understandable you are a hard-working mother. Come sit. I will make tea."

She grabbed my hand a sat me down on the chair. And she went into the kitchen to make tea.

"Err, lucy, why is your friend here, and why is she dressed like she just fell out of the 19th century."

"Oh, that Vesper has always been like that. She was always quite eccentric as to why she is here. well, I told her about your problem, and she said she would be happy to be your nanny". I looked back towards the lady making tea in my kitchen.

"I don't know. She feels kind of off for some reason. Are you sure she would be okay to leave with the kids"

"Totally, Vesper has been doing this for longer than I have. And she has no problem living away from home for long periods of time."

"I don't know; this all seems to be good to be true, a nanny falling into my lap just as I needed one. I was expecting finding a nanny to be much harder than this. I don't know, let me call the agency and ask for her record" I pulled out my phone to call, but lucy grabbed my hand.

"Reiko, Trust me on this. You won't find anyone better than Vesper for the job."

The look on lucy's face said it all; she was determined to get her the job. I let out of defeated sigh. "Fine, ill let her be the nanny. I'm really pressed for time, and beggars really can't be choosers."

Vesper came back and put a cup of tea in front of me. It had a very sweet aroma. I took a sip, and the flavours exploded in my mouth. What did she put in here? It tastes like all the nicest things in the world.

*Ahem* "Mrs Nakamura? Are you enjoying the tea?"

"ah- ermm yes, I am. It's very nice, thank you, vesper" I put the tea down on the table.

"So Vesper. I said I have no problem with you being the nanny for my children, so please tell me your terms."

"My terms?"

"Yes, your terms. How much do you charge? How long are you willing to work comfortably?"

"Ah, those. Well as for how much I charge, paying me won't be necessary all that I ask is that you give me a room to stay in here and you send enough money for me to look after the children and a little extra to spoil them once in a while" she said that last part with a wink.

"Really. You don't want to be paid. At all. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense; how are you gonna-"

"Mrs Nakamura, do I look like the sort who is struggling for money? I'll have you know my finances are well taken care of."

Judging from her clothing, she is probably from some rich European family. How did she meet Lucy then?

"Well, if that's okay with you then. I'll speak with my boss and explain the details to him." I pulled out my phone and shot him a message, "So vesper, when can you start."

"I can start now."

As soon as she said that, the main door swung open.

"That would be Midori and Kaori," I said to Vesper.

"Midori and Kaori! Come to the dining room. I have something important to tell you."

I heard the two of them climb over the mess in the passageway.

Kaori was the first one to make it to the door.

"Hi mom, What's up" Midori arrived just after her. She was still typing away on her phone.

"Ahem, Midori", she briefly looked at me and shrugged. I sighed. That was probably the best I'm gonna get.

"How has your day been" asked the both of them.

"Fine, Mom", Kaori said, coming to the table and sitting on the table. "Same old at school" Her face faltered a bit. Something is bothering her. I'll ask her in private.

Kaori looked quizzically at Vesper. “How rude of me, Kaori Midori. This is Vesper, and she is here; because I have something important to tell you both. "I looked at the two. Midori was typing away at her phone, and Kaori looked at me intently. "I will be leaving to go to another country for 6 months" Midori instantly stopped typing, and judging by the scowl on her face, she wasn't happy.

"NO" Kaori stood up from the table. "You can't leave. Especially now, I mean, it wasn't that long since dad. "Tears started to well up in her eyes.

"Look, Kaori, I know, but if I don't, the company will go under and-"

"NO, YOU CAN'T LEAVE; IT'S NOT FAIR," She said, storming upstairs.

I got up to go talk to her, but Midori stopped me.

"Don’t; I don’t think she is in the mood to see you at the moment. She will calm down.”

I sighed. “And how do you feel, Midori.”

She looked at me for a second before replying, “I’m not happy. You shouldn’t be leaving us, especially so soon after dad left. But a part of me knows your doing this because you believe it’s the right thing.”

I looked at her, stunned. “That’s very mature of you, Midori.”

“I am the eldest sibling here; I can’t afford to cry like Kaori. Besides, if people heard of me crying, it would affect my image,” she said and left the room.

I went back to the table and buried My head in my palms.

“I’m sorry, Vesper. Is it possible you can come back tomorrow? I have some things to sort out with my family?”

She nodded. “Of course, Mrs Nakamura. Lucy, let’s go to your home. I want us to reminisce some more.”

Lucy got up and said goodbye to me as she left with Vesper. I was now sitting alone in the living room.

“Ren, what do I do?”

6