Chapter 128 – A Second Opinion
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Acting-Director Wilson rubbed his chin as he looked at the reports displayed on the screen.  He leaned back into his chair in the Director’s office of the mobile HQ.

Seriously?!  How many reports did this woman go through every day?!  Does she even sleep?!

Just keep things from completely falling apart?

He was about to completely fall apart!

 

But…he had a good idea why.

 

A lot of these reports were signed off by the Director’s assistant, Linda.

The assistant who had unceremoniously vanished just before the Director handed him the keys and then disappeared with the ILS’s top scientist in tow.  

It didn’t take a trained CIA operative to infer that something had happened.

Which resulted in Acting-Director Wilson now doing a job that was originally done by two people.  And that probably should’ve been done by several more.  Many more.  Significantly more.

He was starting to wonder if Director Green was actually a super all along.

But…it wasn’t all bad.  Although, looking at the report in front of him, bad might’ve been better.

Ever since that ominous surge of powers, villains around the world voluntarily surrendered the moment the ILS identified them. Hardly a monster attack since either, and all of those went docile shortly thereafter.

Assuming every villain in the world didn’t have a simultaneous and unprovoked change of heart and given the light show around their eyes, Acting-Director Wilson could think of only one explanation:

 

Mind Control.

 

…so that was what she was up to.

Or…that was what she was trying to stop.

He wasn’t sure which was worse.

Only that things were going well…in the worst way possible.

He had contacted Director Green about the situation, of course.  And she had even responded.

 

“It’s nothing to worry about.”

 

…did that mean she truly was responsible for this?

Or that she had already fallen victim to it herself?

Given the apparent targets and the fact he still had control over his own mind…he’d guess the former.

He heaved a sigh.

 

“...is this truly what you want, Director Green?”

 

But he couldn’t make the call to oppose her.  He was former CIA.  He had joined up with the government-sponsored BSI before ultimately choosing to swap to the League.

He knew sometimes protecting the peace meant getting your hands dirty.

He was in no place to judge Director Green.  Heck, he honestly could not state with certainty that the CIA would not have done exactly the same. 

...

Scratch that, they'd straight up kill for a mind control device, they wouldn't even hesitate.  And the BSI...well fortunately the BSI didn't have the budget to be evil so they get a pass.

But still…

He was worried.

If nothing else…what could have driven Director Green to such lengths?  What state of mind was she in to greenlight such a plan?  Was this truly the Director Green everyone knew?  Had something happened to change her?

 

Or had they been mistaken about her all along?

 

He heaved another sigh.

And approved the blanket time off for most of the heroes.

Those were questions he couldn’t answer.

 

But there was one he could.

 

The heroes needed a break.  They had been stretched to the breaking point this year.  So no matter the reason, if he had a chance to give them a breather, he was going to take it.  They needed it.

 

He could only hope…that the Director would get one too.

 

…if it wasn’t already too late.

 


 

Aurora Legion walked through the halls of the ILS HQ.  Voidspeaker walked up to Wonder Knight, who was leading the way.

 

“So, um, where are we going, bro?”

 

“To find out what’s going on.”

 

“Right, I got that, but, like, where are we going, bro?”

 

“...”

 

“Bro?”

 

“I…um…haven’t figured that out yet.”

 

“Wait what?  You’re leading all confident-like and you don’t even know where we’re going?  What the heck, bro?!”

 

“Hey!  I figured someone here should know!  We should be able to find something out…somehow.”

 

The rest of Aurora Legion sighed.

So much for the man with a plan.

Icy Rose turned to the other two girls.

 

“So, should we find someone to talk to?”

 

Pink Star shrugged.

 

“Maybe the Director?”

 

Chronolock shook her head.

 

“Acting Director, seems Director Green is busy.”

 

Icy Rose raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

 

“That’s weird, isn’t it?”

 

All of Aurora Legion nodded.

 

“““Very weird.”””

 

“Then what, we just walk around until we find someone who looks like they might know?”

 

Wonder Knight shrugged.

 

“Unless someone has a better idea.”

 

Chronolock sighed.

 

“We should at least decide on someone to look for.  HQ is huge and handles operations around the world.  We’re not going to conveniently stumble into someone to talk to just like that.”

 

At that moment, someone rounded the corner, a woman looking down with a hand on her chin.  Icy Rose’s eyes lit up and she strolled over.  Voidspeaker gave a huge grin to Chronolock, who held her head and sighed.

 

“Dr. Ueda!”

 

Dr. Ueda looked up and smiled.

 

“Hello, Icy Rose, how are you feeling today?”

 

“Better now that I found you!”

 

“Oh?  What can I do for you then?”

 

“Actually…we were trying to figure out what’s going on.  You know, with the villains and that yellow surge.  Do you…happen to know anything about that?”

 

Dr. Ueda frowned.  Slowly, she nodded.

 

“That’s what I’m here to investigate.  I’m deeply concerned about that event.”

 

All of Aurora Legion froze in that moment.  Icy Rose gulped.

 

“D-Dr. Ueda…is it…something to be concerned about?”

 

Dr. Ueda held her hands up.

 

“Ah, I don’t mean to frighten you.  The surge itself doesn’t seem to be dangerous to most of the world at large so I’m not anticipating big trouble or anything.  But for those affected, well…”

 

Icy Rose started to tremble slightly.

 

“Um…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“For those affected…would they be in pain?  Is this…harming them?”

 

Dr. Ueda’s eyes narrowed as she rubbed her chin.

 

“I can’t say for sure at the moment…but I am concerned that may be the case.  At minimum, there’s no telling the long term effects.”

 

“Do you think…the affected people…need help?”

 

Dr. Ueda thought for a long time.

 

Until…

 

She slowly nodded.

 

“I…cannot say for certain without knowing all the details of what’s going on.  But in my professional opinion as a counselor, I can’t see this as  constructive for the sake of rehabilitation.  Depending the exact mechanism of this phenomena, it could even cause harm in the long term.  I would personally recommend the affected individuals be treated as soon as possible.  But, well, that’s something I’m here to discuss with the Director.  It would be remiss of me to propose a treatment without all the variables.  Did you need anything else, Rose?”

 

Rose took a second to realize she had been addressed, then slowly shook her head.

 

“No…we were just curious about what was going on.  Thank you, Dr. Ueda.”

 

Dr. Ueda smiled once more.

 

“Anytime Rose.  I’ll see you all later.”

 

With that, Dr. Ueda continued on her way.

 

Aurora Legion silently turned to one another and gathered up.  Wonder Knight’s eyes narrowed.

 

“...that settles it.  They’re in trouble, and truly need help.”

 

Pink Star and Icy Rose nodded.  Chronolock rubbed her chin.

 

“...there might be more going but…I think you’re right.”

 

Voidspeaker nodded too, a frown on his face.  Wonder Knight took a deep breath.

 

“Let’s go save our nemesis then.”

 


 

Jim Roberson sighed as he walked down the streets, hands in his pockets.

He certainly appreciated the time off.  Desperately wanted it in fact.

But deep down, something stirred within his gut, leaving him slightly nauseous.  

There was something off about all this.

What was that light?  It seemed like it was a global event.  And then all the villains and monsters just laid down and surrendered after?

 

And where was Director Green when something that big was occurring?

 

Jim was willing to admit he was not the most clever or insightful person.  In fact, all he really knew was how to punch things.  But still, years of combat and foiling villainous schemes had honed his intuition.  Gave him something of an instinct.

 

That instinct told him something was wrong.

 

And he knew better than to ignore it.

 

Still…there wasn’t much he could do.  He was in the process of retiring from the League after all.  And he knew Acting Director Wilson.  Man had a good head on his shoulders and the drive and integrity to get things done.  If he said it was being handled, it was being handled.

If he truly wished to hang up his cape…now was the time to let go.  To stop meddling and let someone else handle it for once.

He heaved a sign and continued on his walk.  Just then, a man turned the corner.  He had a hat on and his head down, so Jim couldn’t see his face.  Just as Jim was about to pass him by…

 

“Captain Hot Devil, I need your help.”

 

Jim stopped and turned to face the man, his hands curling into fists.

 

“And you are?”

 

The man looked up…

He was wearing an armored mask.

A very familiar one.

 

“Would you understand if I said I once worked for the sole distributor of the laws of physics?”

 

Jim’s eyes widened.

 

“...you…”

 

“What was it?  I believe someone else said ‘the fires of hell are free for all’ that day?  I’ve come to collect on that offer.”

 

Jim took a step back.

 

“You…you were there…that means…”

 

Jim Roberson thought to that day.

The day he broke everything.

The day he was broken.

The day he nearly killed Director Green.

 

Come to think of it, there was a fourth person in the room that day.

 

The minion who ignored Dr Kayserling’s final order.

The minion…who had carried someone out of the room.

Which meant…

 

“…you’re the one who saved Director Green’s life.”

 

The man before him nodded.

 

“That’s right.”

 

“…then I owe you my thanks.”

 

“I’d prefer your help.”

 

“…with what?”

 

“Doing it again.”

 

Jim Roberson’s eyes narrowed.

 

“You’re saying the Director’s in trouble?”

 

“I’m saying Londyn Green is.”

 

Jim Roberson had heard enough.  He cracked his knuckles.

 

“Where do I go?”

 

The man held out a card with a number on it.

 

“I’m still working on a location.  But it may be worth checking with the ILS.  More eyes never hurt.”

 

Jim nodded and took the card.  The man turned around and walked off into the night.

Jim turned around, heading for his home at a brisk pace.

 

He had intended to hang up his cape.

 

But if Londyn Green, the one who had saved his life, his family, needed his help…

 

Captain Hot Devil would answer the call.

 

And he would not rest until he had saved her.

 

Whether from danger…

 

“I’m saying Londyn Green is.”

 

…or from herself.

How can Bob, a faceless minion on the run, and Elise, a known rival of Aurora Legion, possibly recruit heroes to their cause?

Actually it’s gonna be super easy, barely an inconvenience!

And so the team assembles!

Hm, what’s that?

This whole situation would be barely an inconvenience if Bob just called a certain number stored in his phone?  He’s supposed to be reflecting on his issues so his original reason to avoid that shouldn’t be in force anymore?  

Um…

He, uh, wants to fix this…um…sort of on his own…since he and his other friend are the ones responsible?   Even though…he’s asking heroes to help…it’s, um, all part of his plan to do it this way?  Totally?  The plan he made up in like five seconds?

Well, I’m sure there’s no one who could possibly be upset that Bob asked a hero of all things for help before them or anything.  Nope.  That couldn’t possibly backfire on Bob later.  Definitely not.

Anyways!

Can this strange alliance put a stop to the mind control device? Can Aurora Legion save their Nemesis? Can these very different people work together?  Is there something Bob is not doing that could possibly have consequences for him later? Tune in next time, to find out!

2