Side Story 137.7 – Home
58 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bob, Elise, and Saydaa gathered in a room. Saydaa was fidgeting about, looking this way and that.

 

“Um, are you sure about this, Elise? Mind spells…aren’t really pleasant you know?”

 

“Resolute Statement: Certainty at 99%. This unit has detected inaccessible memories, and has experience vulnerability as a result when confronting Baba Yaga. Additional Observation: Friendlies Kiyosuke and Saydaa demonstrated increased efficiency as well after unlocking inaccessible memories. I wish to know everything inside me.”

 

“B-But…I’m not Baba Yaga, you know?”

 

“Reassuring Statement: Obviously not. This unit has significantly more trust in friendly Saydaa.”

 

“That just makes me more nervous!’

 

Bob pat Saydaa’s shoulder.

 

“Saydaa, it’s going to be fine. Just do your best. Trust Elise…and trust yourself.”

 

Saydaa looked at him for a moment and then took a deep breath. She walked over to Elise, who sat down on a couch. Saydaa drew a magic circle over Elise’s forehead, carefully adding in as many safeguards as she could think of.

 

She took one final breath.

 

And then she tapped Elise’s forehead.

 

Elise’s human closed as her robotic eye began to blink rapidly…

 


 

Pain.

 

Fear.

 

Hurt.

 

It hurt to move.

 

It hurt to breathe.

 

And these people…hurt her more.

 

Hurt, hurt, hurt!

 

Elise found herself drowning in pain and fear. Images of sterile white walls and sparking machinery overhead flashed through her mind. Her mind burned as she felt machines plug into it, consciousness and patterns of thought not her own trying to grasp at her.

But Elise wasn’t a weak little girl this time.

And what’s more…

She knew what this memory was.

Her cybernetic half took over, processing and storing the traumatic memories.

This time, Elise could handle it.

Because she knew…this wasn’t all bad.

It was the birth of her other half after all.

Her organic components could endure the pain for the sake of her cybernetic components.

And her cybernetic components worked to reduce the pain of her organic components.

And so…Elise made it through.

 

And found…something else.

 

Memories her cybernetic half had never seen.

Memories her organic half had forgotten.

Laughing children.

Running as she played with them.

Humble but happy meals, with all sharing what little they had.

A kind woman, doing everything she could to take care of them

Elise…felt something warm rise in her chest. Her cybernetic components recorded each image and feeling in exacting detail.

And then she felt the magic fade…

 


 

It was nighttime at the orphanage. Sister Johanna had just put the children to sleep and was going over their finances. She held her head, heaving a sigh. The last year had seen an influx of orphans, so they were having trouble keeping up with their current donations…

No choice, looks like they’d be rationing once more.

And then she heard a knock at the door.

She narrowed her eyes as she approached the door.

She glanced out the peekhole…

She gasped and flung the door open, not trusting her eyes.

There was a teenage girl, wrapped in a hoodie.

 

But that was a face she couldn’t forget.

 

“Laura?”

 

“Greetings: Hello, Sister Johanna. It is nice to see you again.”

 

Sister Johanna wrapped the girl in a hug, tears filling her eyes. The girl didn’t respond for a second, but then slowly lifted her hands and returned the hug.

It was a good few minutes before Sister Johanna let go.

And started to confront reality.

That felt…like a great deal of metal for a normal girl to be carrying around.

 

“Recommendation: Privacy would be appreciated for our conversation.”

 

Sister Johanna nodded, her face going grim. She led Laura back inside, leading her to her own private room.

 

“Warning: Next revelation may be shocking. Recommend Sister Johanna prepare herself.”

 

The sister simply nodded. She had seen a lot throughout the years…and a great deal more in recent years. She knew Laura’s story was not going to be a simple one, last she saw of her was when Dr. Ottosen took the terminal girl away several years ago, so she steeled her mind.

Still, she was not ready for what happened next.

Laura…removed her hood. And a light faded, dropping the projected images. Revealing that half of Laura’s face was covered in metal, as well as her hands.

Sister Johanna gasped, raising her hands to her mouth. Tears started to fill her eyes as she grasped the implications of what she was seeing.

 

“Laura…what happened to you?”

 


 

Sister Johanna sat on the chair, staring forward. Her legs had grown weak at the tale she was told. She closed her eyes, gritting her teeth. She heaved a sigh, and then looked up at the girl, looking her in the eyes.

 

“Laura…I’m so sorry. I never should have let them take you…I should have stayed with you to the end…and now…”

 

“Objection: This unit disagrees with that assessment. Sister Johanna did nothing wrong. And Dr. Ottosen did not directly lie. It was because Sister Johanna agreed that this unit survived. Probability of death without cybernetic enhancements was nearly 100%. Sister Johanna's decision saved this unit’s life. I am only grateful.”

 

“Still…”

 

“Addendum: …I must also inform Sister Johanna, I found a family, a purpose after this. I…am happy now. I would not want events to change. So Sister Johanna did nothing wrong.”

 

Sister Johanna gave her a warm smile.

 

“I see…in that case, I’m glad.”

 

The two talked for a while longer.

Eventually though, it was time for Laura to go. Sister Johanna saw her to the door.

She found a man waiting outside.

She tensed for a second until Laura stepped forward and gave the man a hug, and then walked off to leave the two adults alone. Sister Johanna crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes at the man.

 

“Mr…?”

 

“You can call me Bob.”

 

“Ok, Bob, I’m Sister Johanna. I presume you’re the ‘family’ Laura has found?”

 

Bob nodded.

 

“...I do not approve of what you’re having her do.”

 

Bob made a sad smile.

 

“...I wish it could be different for her. But there were not many places in the world for her, and I couldn’t leave her alone. So I brought her into the family business I’m afraid. For that, I’m sorry.”

 

Sister Johanna glared at him for a bit longer before heaving a sigh.

 

“Well…I’m the one who sent her off into the hands of men I didn’t know. I guess I don’t have the right to complain anymore. Just tell me this…do you care about her? Do you consider her family as she considers you?”

 

Bob looked into her eyes, and replied immediately.

 

“Yes. I will take care of her, no matter what.”

 

Sister Johanna held his gaze for a moment longer and then nodded. Bob then reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope.

 

“Here, please take this.”

 

Sister Johanna raised an eyebrow and opened the envelope, glancing at the contents.

 

“...I’m not sure I can take this. I’m not sure I want to, given what little I do know about your ‘family business.’”

 

Bob shook his head.

 

“Oh, that’s not from my business.”

 

“Oh?”

 

Bob made a dark grin.

 

“That represents the last remaining assets of the late Dr. Ottosen. He’s not around anymore, but I believe you would be the best person to manage what he left behind.”

 

Sister Johanna returned his grin.

 

“I see. Well in that case, I suppose I can only acquiesce to his wishes. I’ll use these funds as he certainly would have wanted.”

 

The two exchanged a handshake.

 

“Take care, Sister Johanna.”

 

“Take care, Bob.”

 

Bob walked off into the night. Sister Johanna remained at the doorway watching as he left. She placed a hand over her heart, closing her eyes and smiling softly.

 

“...and thank you, for taking care of Laura…”

 


 

Bob and Elise walked together as they headed back towards their grav-jet. Bob took a deep breath.

 

“So, you know your name now.”

 

“Objection: Elise already knew her colloquial designation, Commander Bob.”

 

Bob raised an eyebrow.

 

“You don’t want to use Laura?”

 

“Explanation: Only half of this unit responded to that designation. No current friendlies besides Sister Johanna utilize that designation, so it would be inefficient.”

 

Elise’s robotic eye spun a few times more. She stopped and turned to Bob.

 

“...Fond Statement: And…Elise is the designation granted by Commander Bob. I…am happy with my current life…and current family. So…I prefer the designation used by current family.”

 

Bob couldn’t help but grin, and pat her on the shoulder. The two resumed walking.

 

“...you know, we still have some time. How would you like to get some ice cream?”

 

“Affirmative.”

 

…I’m very happy for Elise again.  I might…need a moment…hang on.

Ok, we’re good now.  Hm?  Where did Elise go?

She’s off bragging to Aurora Legion about getting another ice cream chapter?

Well…I’m glad she’s happy…but, um, Pink Star’s eye is starting to twitch again…and she’s saying…things…about the author…um…h-hey you got ice cream too, right?  And an actual backstory, Pink!  T-The only one in Aurora Legion!  T-That’s cool, right?  Um, said backstory was just used to make you cry a bunch more and get rejected again while Elise got extra love and some totally random girl Emao got a four part arc involving her getting a love interest?

T-That’s…

Um…

I’m sorry.

Anyways!

How many chapters will the author devote to buying Elise ice-cream?  What sort of things is Pink Star saying about the author?  Tune in next time, to find out!

2