Chapter 179 – Resolve
55 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NSLICE Mini-Glossary:

Spoiler

-00P Beta - The Best Variant.

-83NS - Wonder Knight

-96NS - Dragontooth

-47NS - Majestic Moth

-21NS - Aqua Mage

-Defender - Pink Star

-12NS - Amano Kiyoatsu

-20NS - Captain Hot Devil

-425NS - El Capa/The Warped Warrior

[collapse]

Aurora Legion sat staring at their feet, no one speaking a single word for a long time. Finally, Pink Star broke the silence.

 

“So…what do we do?”

 

Icy Rose bit her lip.

 

“I…want to save our timeline too. But to bring the Vophae…after what they did…what they will do…”

 

Chronolock frowned.

 

“Do we have a choice though?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

She heaved a sigh.

 

“Look…I don’t like it. Not at all. But what choice do we have? Are we just going to give up, go live in this timeline forever?”

 

Pink Star nodded.

 

“Not to mention, what about Nemesis? We know they aren’t going to quit. So it’s not just if we’re willing to give up on our timeline. If we are truly against this…then wouldn’t we need to stop them too?”

 

Everyone went silent at that. Pink Star turned.

 

“What about you, Wonder? What do you think about this?”

 

Wonder Knight was leaning on his knees, gripping his hands together and staring at the floor.

 

“Does anyone else have any other ideas? Any other way we could possibly reset time, without calling the Vophae?”

 

Chronolock poked Voidspeaker in the side.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Oh come on, not again!”

 

“Forget the time part. They said the important thing is we need to break the boundaries of the universe, right? Surely you know something that can do that, right?”

 

Everyone turned to Voidspeaker. He heaved a sigh.

 

“Ok…hypothetically…not that I’ve ever even considered trying this…there are rituals to summon beings from beyond the void. I guess that might count as breaking the boundaries of the universe, so maybe it would work?”

 

Everyone’s eyes lit up.

 

“...BUT! That would call an eldritch being from beyond the void to our location. And if we wanted to break the boundaries of the universe…it would have to be an extremely powerful one. So…you know…as you all keep bugging me, an ancient dark god kind of being.”

 

Everyone frowned at that. Chronolock sighed.

 

“So this world is screwed either way.”

 

Pink Star nodded.

 

“Probably less screwed with the Vophae, to be honest.”

 

“Which is exactly why I don’t suggest these things! So stop looking at me every time something like this happens!”

 

“Ok, Void’s inexorable doom bringing aside, do we have any other ideas? It can be to reset the timeline, break the timeline, find an alternate way to send the other Elise back in time, break the boundaries of the universe, or else find an alternate way to catch the supposed time traveler?”

 

Silence hung in the air once more.

 

Wonder Knight turned to Roxanne.

 

“What do you think of this?”

 

The girl shrugged.

 

“Like I said, I like your timeline better. I think most people would. And there’s something else you’re not considering.”

 

They all gave her their attention.

 

“You are focusing on the destruction the Vophae brought to your world. But our world has already been destroyed. In this timeline, even the Earth itself is dying. From what I see in your memories, the Vophae came to conquer, not to destroy, right? Honestly, I don’t think they’ll do any worse to us than we’ve already done to ourselves. There might actually be more hope there than there is now.”

 

“Even after overthrowing the Concordat?”

 

Roxanne frowned.

 

“They were not the worst thing here. Not by a long shot.”

 

Everyone went silent again. Wonder Knight turned his gaze back to the floor. He ducked his head, gripping his hands together with all his might, and then he exhaled a deep breath.

 

He looked back up, looking each member of his team in the eye.

 

“We reset time, whatever it takes.”

 

They all slowly nodded at him.

 

“Then if we don’t have any alternatives…we go with the best plan we have. The best thing we can do, for everyone, is to get this done, as quickly and surely as we can. So we do this, and we make sure it works. Make sure it’s worth it.”

 

They each took a deep breath and nodded. Icy Rose was the last. She closed her eyes, tears forming.

 

“Falcon…I’m sorry…”

 

And then she nodded too.

 


 

Nemesis and Aurora Legion gathered together. Wonder Knight held Elise’s gaze, and then sighed.

 

“...you’re sure this will work?”

 

“Reassuring Confirmation: My analysis indicates an 83.71% chance of success with this plan. No other plan has a success rate above 50%.”

 

He took a deep breath and nodded.

 

“That will have to do, then. Let’s make it one hundred.”

 

He extended his hand. Elise grabbed it and shook it once.

 

He turned to Saydaa and nodded.

 

“Ok then, let’s do it.”

 

Silence hung in the room. Saydaa jumped and started fidgeting.

 

“Um, yes? Why are you all looking at me like that?”

 

Pink Star tilted her head.

 

“What do you mean? Aren’t you going to do the magic thing?”

 

“You mean, like, now?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I can’t just do that whenever! I need WAY more power for that! There was like, this big ritual. And a dragon gem thingy. And that stupid cult!”

 

Aurora Legion clapped their heads and groaned. Voidspeaker actually fell over. Then they all turned and shouted as one.

 

“““““Tell us that first!!!”””””

 

Wonder Knight just heaved a sigh.

 

“Ok, so what do we need to do?”

 

Saydaa grit her teeth. Kiyosuke placed a hand on his shoulder and nodded at her. She heaved a sigh.

 

“...we don’t need them. We could just ask my dad.”

 

“Objection: In this timeline, Sadid’s lamp remains at large. And there is a larger issue. Sadid may not be willing to help with this.”

 

Saydaa spun on Elise, face contorting in rage.

 

“Why?! He’ll help me!”

 

“Placating Explanation: He will help his daughter.”

 

“Which is me!”

 

“Observation: Not in this timeline.”

 

Saydaa froze.

 

“What?”

 

“Explanation: This unit has double checked Concordat records and spy reports and discovered a relatively recent sighting of friendly Saydaa’s alternate. All evidence currently points to said alternate being alive and well.”

 

Kiyosuke crossed his arms and frowned.

 

“So he won’t like this plan, since it would put this timeline’s Saydaa in danger.”

 

Saydaa opened her mouth, then closed it and frowned. She grit her teeth. Kiyosuke patted her back.

 

“We’re here for you. And we’ll get your dad back too.”

 

She slowly nodded, and then heaved a sigh.

 

“Fine. We go find that stupid cult then.”

 

“You mean we have to search for another hidden person?!”

 

Kiyosuke shook his head.

 

“No, we already know where they are.”

 

“Answer: Nemesis previously launched an assault on a major cult base in the Alps, where they intended to use friendly Saydaa in a ritual with global scale.”

 

Roxanne frowned and crossed her arms at that.

 

“The Alps huh? That’s a problem.”

 

“Why is that, Roxanne?”

 

“Because that’s smack dab in the middle of Atomic Cult territory.”

 


 

The team made their way out of the room. They had chosen not to inform the Resistance of their plans, as there would be obvious objections to their goals this time. And Elise didn’t trust Aurora Legion to keep the secret.

 

Which was probably for the best.

 

Fortunately, they didn’t need the Resistance’s help this time.

 

NSLICE-83NS stood outside in the hallway. He saluted when he saw the group.

 

“Status Report: Liberator Elise, transportation is prepared and waiting for your arrival.”

 

“Expressing Gratitude: This unit thanks you, 83NS.”

 

“Grateful Response: Anything for the Liberator.”

 

It turns out the NSLICE units were quite fond of Elise. And when she had connected with their minds, they got a glimpse of her memories and experiences as well, so they were fully aware of her intentions and goals, and had ultimately agreed they would still support her. Their human sides had no objection to undoing the Day of Sorrow. Their machine sides were simply happy to have a directive to work towards, and aiding their Liberator was a goal they could all agree on.

And, of course, the NSLICE units still had access to most of the Concordat’s hardware and resources. Including long-range transport planes, and safe houses for spy and raider units in Atomic Cult territory.

The team could have had Kiyosuke teleport them directly. But given that they were heading into hostile territory, they felt it wiser to go the long way, so that they would have a chance to scout the location before appearing in the thick of it.

 

Unfortunately, their luck had run out.

 

“Kiyosuke?”

 

Amano Bin had rounded the corner, spotting the group.

 

“Mom…”

 

She looked into Kiyosuke’s eyes, then glanced at his teammates. She turned back to him with a smile.

 

“I see. I think I understand.”

 

She flickered over to him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

 

“I told you already, didn’t I? I’m always on your side, Kiyosuke, no matter what. Do whatever you need to to protect your family.”

 

He frowned, his eyes trembling, but he nodded. He gave her a hug, which she returned.

 

“I love you, Mom.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

She let him go and looked around at the others.

 

“I’ll distract the others. Should give you time to leave. I don’t know what you’re doing, but may the leaves hide you on your journey.”

 

She looked at Saydaa.

 

“Take care of Kiyosuke for me.”

 

She fidgeted about after being addressed but nodded.

 

“We will.”

 

Bin gave a satisfied nod. She gave Kiyosuke one last hug, and then vanished with a puff of smoke.

 


 

The team made their way to the hangar and found a plane ready to take off.

 

And an NSLICE unit waiting for them.

 

NSLICE-20NS, who the team better recognized as the former Captain Hot Devil, walked up to them. He looked Elise in the eyes.

 

“Serious Query: Liberator, is it true? What this unit saw in your memories? Is it possible to save them?”

 

“Affirmative Answer: That is this unit’s current mission.”

 

He paused for a moment.

 

“...Resolute Request: I ruined everything. I lost them all. If there’s any chance to fix this, to bring them back, then I will do whatever it takes. Please, take me with you. Let me help.”

 

“Affirmative Response: Welcome aboard. Your assistance is most appreciated.”

 

Aurora Legion was watching with wide eyes as 20NS climbed aboard. Elise turned to them.

 

“Sorrowful Recommendation: This unit is aware of Aurora Legion’s curiosity and former relationship, but requests they give 20NS some space, and do not refer to him by his previous designation. This timeline…was not kind to him. Or his family.”

 

They gave grim nods and climbed aboard.

 

Just another reminder of what they were fighting for.

 

As for Captain Hot Devil…well there was no Director Green or ILS in this timeline…and then the Day of Sorrow happened…I think that’s enough to determine what occurred.

Anyways!

Can our team infiltrate the Atomic Cult to go find the Lizardman Cult?  Can they summon the Vophae and attract our hated time traveler to their present?  Tune in next time, to find out!

2