Life with the Potters
221 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the Potters woke up that morning, they expected to see two loud boys fighting over who was going to do the dishes. They did not think for a moment that their son will be carefully holding a girl while his best friend was pacing in front of them with an angry expression. 

"This is quite the sight," Mr. Potter started surprising the kids. "Ophelia," 

Ophelia bit her lip feeling incredibly awkward. James had one hand wrapped around her as if he wanted everyone to know she was his to protect. That was comforting seeing how the person she trusted the most just turned his back on her. 

"Mr. Potter. Mrs. Potter." She said nodding at the adults. "I do have a reason for being here." She said pushing James to the side so that she could get up.

"I bet you do but does Cerberus know about it too?" 

Ophelia's eyes widened just a little but it was enough for Fleamont to know the answer. 

"I'll send him a letter and-"

"Dylis told him. Dylis was the one to bring me here and I told him not to speak to anyone but Cerberus." She replied quickly seeing how the secrecy of her safe place could be broken. 

"It's fine, dad. We already had breakfast, you can go on and we'll continue here." His son said glancing at his parents with a 'get into the kitchen and leave us alone' glint in his eyes. 

"Alright but I do expect a longer explanation before dinner." 

Fleamont left together with his wife and Sirius started to pace again. He had many thoughts and many worries. If Ophelia told James the truth then her secret was pretty much endangered. 

"Will you tell the others about your father once we return to school?" He asked away.

"Or at Grimm's Hollow. There's gonna be a party again this summer, war or no war." James added.

That reminded her of the Slytherin party. If a student wanted to become a Death Eater, that was the moment he could take advantage of. She suddenly felt very scared for Severus.

"I-" she wanted to say that yes, she was ready to tell them the truth, but she couldn't. "They won't trust me anymore. They won't come to our meetings and will look at me as if I am Tom himself."

"Is that his name? Tom?" James asked since he had very limited knowledge about Voldemort. "You know, it does make sense now."

"What?" 

"When I left after taking you home drunk Knowingall shared some words of wisdom with me. I didn't get it then but it makes so much more sense now. I think he was telling me to be your friend no matter what." 

"How romantic," Sirius said rolling his eyes. "The world is getting worse and high status wizards and witches are taking Voldemort's side out of fear. It's not just Littlewood that's being forced to cut ties with us but a lot more. Muggle born and half blood wizards will be terribly affected by his influence." Sirius added having a more realistic view since he ran from home.

"If you're not with him then you are not worthy of living. I saw him kill right in front of me. He...it's hard to guess what he will do next." 

"Well, you ran from him so he will be mad." James commented.

"Terribly angry with Rabastan, I'm sure." Sirius agreed. "But that's his problem, not ours. Let's just enjoy ourselves for a bit. We need good memories for our patronus charm." 

Ophelia found herself smile at how positive these two boys were. 


When Ophelia entered the Potter house, she did not expect to be welcomed so warmly. James was a chatter box and Sirius was rolling his eyes from the side. Mr. Potter was the same she knew and Mrs. Potter seemed quite happy to have a teenage girl around.

"Are you sure it's alright for me to stay here? I don't even know for how long I have to hide." She started when she was helping Mrs. Potter washing the dishes.

"Of course. If it was such a problem I wouldn't have agreed with Sirius either. But you are a friend of my son." 

"...did you also know my mother?" Ophelia asked remembering how the Potters seemed to have met Peverell. 

"No but I have heard about her. I do, however, trust my husband. He has always known how to choose the right people to keep around him and his family." She replied honestly. "James talks about you, you know. He comes home every summer and tells me stories of his friends. I remember it was the vacation between the first and second year at Hogwarts when he mentioned there was this girl in his house that he couldn't understand." 

"And here she is now, endangering him and his family." Ophelia mumbled feeling guilty.

Mrs. Potter chuckled and put the plates aside before she turned to the young witch. Whatever she wanted to say remained a secret because James rushed in and grabbed Ophelia by her wrist.

"You should check this out, badge! Me and Sirius have worked hard to make this work." He said as he dragged her outside.

Ophelia glanced everywhere on the front lawn but she couldn't understand what she was supposed to look at. 

"You know how it can be a bit difficult to get home when one of us is incapable to stand on his feet," Sirius started making her raise an eyebrow. "Well, not anymore!" 

They pulled the covers off of what looked like a bike. She blinked still not getting the point. 

"The driver stays here," Sirius explained getting on the bike.

"And the drunkard stays here!" Exclaimed James getting in the small co-pilot chair. 

"And then we fly." Sirius said turning it on.

They rode for a bit before Ophelia watched as the bike rose from the ground. Her eyes widened and she actually showed the expression that the boys wanted. They had to return relatively quick because they couldn't risk being seen by the neighbours. 

"That is brilliant." She mumbled, her eyes sparkling. "Now, my turn." She said and moved to take Sirius's spot but the boy grabbed her shoulders and pulled her aside. 

"Sorry but no. It's not yet functional."

"I just saw you fly with it."

"You didn't let me finish. It's not yet functional for other riders except James and I. We barely finished it and we don't know how it will react to someone else." Sirius explained as if she was a child that needed to be lectured.

"How bad could it be?" She asked with a raised eyebrow, sceptical that she will ever get the chance to ride their flying motorbike. 

"Oho! Very! You could slip off it or you could be thrown off it or-" James was shut up immediately by her hand covering his mouth. 

"After a few more tests, if it will be alright, we will maybe, probably, bring you home on it. From Grimm's Hollow." Sirius said sounding like a responsible teenager.

Ophelia spent the rest of the day pondering if she should go to the party or not. She spent most of the time in the living room, looking ahead and thinking hard about her family. She could somehow understand why Lillian didn't want her to end up with a father such as Tom. He probably manipulated everyone around her and sent her people that gave him reports on what she was doing. That...hurt.

"How are you feeling?" James asked coming and sitting next to her. She turned to look at him and the poor boy's eyes widened in surprise. "Wh-I didn't say anything! Why are you tearing up?" 

She didn't answer. James Potter was one of the few people who was there for her and not because she was Voldemort's daughter. He didn't want power and he wasn't interested in death. He was actually very honest to the point it made her feel bad for how many secrets she hid from him. 

"Badge, seriously. Why are you crying? Is it because I didn't let you ride the bike? If it makes you feel better it was Sirius' idea, not mine. He is very possessive." He explained with a loose smile. His joking attitude helped the atmosphere because it made Ophelia laugh. 

At that moment, Sirius came downstairs in his pyjamas. He noticed how cosy his two friends were and sat right in between them.

"Are you stealing my best friend, Molley?" He asked narrowing his eyes at her while wrapping an arm around James' shoulders. But then he saw she still had tears in her eyes and turned to James. "Seriously, mate. What have you done to make a girl cry?"

"Nothing! Is that what you think about your best mate? The only woman who will cry because of me is my mom, when I will marry." 

"You have high expectations of me, son." Mrs. Potter commented while going into the kitchen making everyone except James laugh. 

"You just wait mom! You'll be so happy that you'll shed some tears!" He shouted back at her. Mr. Potter came in through the front door, most definitely from work, and smiled at the kids. "Dad! You will cry at my wedding for sure!"

Fleamont Potter didn't know what was happening but he laughed and nodded.

"First find yourself a girlfriend and then we will speak of marriage." He added taking his coat off. 

"I will. Very soon too. In a month, to be more precise." James said proudly. "I'm going to ask Evans out at Grimm's Hollow." 

Ophelia chuckled to herself, unsure how the party will go.


That one month passed too fast for her liking. She almost forgot about her life in the magical world because the Potters preferred to do certain things the muggle way. Every Saturday they had cleaning duty, which was done manually. Mrs. Potter also liked cooking and doing small chores the normal way, without magic. Sirius was in a constant state of complaining whenever he couldn't use magic but Ophelia liked it.

It was the day before the party when James was in his bedroom with his two friends on his bed as spectators. 

"What about this shirt? Does it fit me?" 

Ophelia could hardly concentrate on the clothes because Potter's expressions were way funnier. 

"Should I try it out with the red jumper? Or maybe the black shirt with the beige blazer? Or maybe just go with the Gryffindor colors?" He asked parading around shirtless. "What do you say, badge?"

"Nothing." She replied without thinking making Sirius laugh but James frowned. He pouted and threw the shirts over her head making Sirius roll on his back laughing even harder. "I'm not amused, Black." She commented pushing the shirts off her head. "Why does it matter how you dress? It's what you say that will work with Lily."

"True. She is that type." He muttered to himself and sighed. "It's so stressful having a crush."

He was dramatizing a lot but Ophelia learned it was not only about such subjects as girls but in general. Mr. Potter knocked and stuck his head inside the room with a polite smile.

"Ophelia, could I have a word with you?" He asked and Ophelia nodded, "And James, how can you be shirtless in front a lady?" He scolded his son while Ophelia walked out.

James rolled his eyes and could be heard shouting She's badge, it doesn't count! Ophelia laughed to herself until Fleamont invited her to sit.

"What is it?" she asked suddenly getting scared of what he could tell her. "Is Cerberus alright? Is Dylis hurt?"

"Look, Ophelia, I'm not going to lie to you. I don't think it is wise for you to go to Grimm's Hollow tomorrow night.  After your disappearance, if we can call it that, your father has gotten very angry. Very. I heard from Dumbledore that Tom has ordered every Death Eater to keep an eye out for you and if they catch you, they have to take you to Rosier's mansion."

Ophelia gulped thinking about how horrible that predicament was. Rosier has hated her since the beginning and if she were to go inside their house, Merlin knows what would happen. 

"You don't have to worry. He doesn't know you are here but you will return to Hogwarts soon and I am afraid that it will not be the same homey feeling for neither you nor the boys. Families have changed, some have chosen his dark way while others perished fighting for their values. Malfoy has taken over Spinnard's cottage."

"But potentially dangerous people cannot enter the house." 

"Lucius Malfoy can." Fleamont replied not knowing about her relationship with the blond. "Cerberus is in hiding, that's why he hasn't contacted you these months. But your house elf, he has disappeared. He wasn't taken by Death Eaters but we don't know where he is." He added trying to give her hope.

She nodded and looked down at her hands. There was another question that was bothering her.

"Tonight is the Slytherin party for those who desire to become his followers. Is it possible to know who passes their test?"

"Are you worried for one of your friends?" Fleamont asked his eyes softening at her naivety. "I'll see what I can do." 

Ophelia was really worried for Severus. Meanwhile, just a few feet from them stood Sirius Black, hidden behind the wall. He sighed heavily as he thought about Regulus and his devotion to Voldemort.

3