A Chat with a Dead Man
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spinnard was standing there, not moving an inch, but he couldn't hide his surprise. He didn't know how to react, so he chose to stay as if he was petrified. Ophelia chuckled and let him go, delighted with having finally disposed of that guilty emotion she had for causing his death.

"You speak as if you hate everything about me but you don't," she started.

"You're lying to yourself, then," he scoffed, looking displeased.

"Am I? Recently, I have discovered that some of my early memories have been altered. I wasn't attacked by a dementor in Scotland, I was taken by my father. Interestingly enough, you were there as well," Ophelia started, watching his cold eyes soften and his usually rigid form become mellow. "You asked him to let me go, to let me come to school and learn and live a normal life. You assured him that you would keep an eye on me, so why do you act like you have no idea why I am here? At this point in time, I have no recollection of your discussion with Tom, I barely know you." 

"That's the point. The less you know, the happier you are." he finally gave an honest answer. "What good brought knowing your father in the future? Has your life improved? I don't think so,"

"You're right. If anything, my life has become emptier and I have a hard time controlling my emotions and even my magic. But I had to discover him by myself. You cannot just block him from me and expect a child not to be curious. You could have told me a little about him, about what he did to my mother and to you,"

"I did, I always made it obvious,"

"No, you only made me hate you, not Tom and that led me right into his arms."

"I'm not going to change how I act just because you felt mistreated," he said with a glare.

"I don't want you to. It is also your behavior that, eventually, creates a drift in my relationship with Tom. It's you who makes me stronger. Isn't that funny? I owe you everything I own and who I have become. I also owe you my friendships and allies. But I need to know more, I need to know what happened back then, what were his plans, and why everyone helps me because of Peverell,"

Spinnard sighed and sat on his bed. He looked at Ophelia and for the first time, he actually looked like a normal man. 

"Were you there when Dumbledore came for me after my mother died?" she asked but he shook his head, "Were you there when he took me to the orphanage?"

"I was the one who arranged your move to the orphanage. Dumbledore insisted that I should wait there since I would only have scared you, and he was right. I was also the one who buried Lillian. She's in a cemetery in Aberdeen, near Vernon's house,"

Ophelia blinked, unable to do anything since this was information she never expected to get.

"Did you hate her?"

"I pitied her. I was the one who destroyed her life by taking her as a fetus straight into Tom's hands. She knew nothing about the world, just what he taught her. She didn't even know they were cousins, she just loved him because he was everything to her. I convinced Tom to allow her to come to school because her magic was growing hard to manage and that's how she started her third year at Hogwarts. McGonagall took a liking to her from the beginning and Lillian grew to look at her like a mother. Peverell was my only friend and out of guilt, I asked him to return to school and take care of Lillian. That idiot fell in love with her," he explained rubbing his forehead. "Each summer break, Lillian grew further and further away from Tom but she still loved him. I don't know if she truly loved him or if it was all just manipulation, but in her last year, she suddenly visited McGonagall and told her about her pregnancy."

"Why did he want a child?"

"He didn't. You were a mistake that he didn't take into account," Spinnard said, glancing at her in order to see her reaction. "You don't look surprised, I guess he told you what his plans are. Around the time you were born, he took an interest in the immortality stone. He searched for it but couldn't find it, so he returned to his original plan,"

"Horcruxes,"

Spinnard nodded, "He already had several made so I wondered why he wanted you so badly."

"It's my blood, isn't it? I'm his daughter, I have the magic of two great wizards connected to the Slytherin lineage. The stronger I get, the better host I become," Ophelia said, her heart breaking on the inside but she could still hold a blank expression.

"It's not just that. Placing a piece of his soul into you will connect you deeper than you imagine. You will be one, two sides of the same coin, able to feel what each other feels. You will never be able to live by yourself anymore, he will consume you. One will not be able to live without the other." Spinnard explained, making Ophelia grasp the sides of her shirt tightly in anger. 

"Why did he abandon his plans with Lillian?"

"Peverell is a renowned name in the wizarding world. They are amazing wizards and hold more power in the pure-blooded society than a half-blood born from an affair based on a magic potion. Peverell protected Lillian until the end,"

"What about me? Why are all these people helping me?"

"I don't know exactly what people you speak of, but Peverell did take measures just in case you will be found," he said.

"The letters sent to all his friends?" Ophelia asked, finally sitting next to him.

Spinnard raised an eyebrow, confused by what she meant.

"What letters? He didn't send any letters, at least none that I know of. We all made unbreakable vows to keep you safe from your father."

Ophelia's eyes widened and a huge wave of guilt fell over her. Mr. Potter, Hagrid, Knowingall, Eynon...they could all die if something happens to her.

"Why?"

"We all have different reasons. I guess I felt responsible for Lillian's life and death but I'm sure others didn't care about her. If you become a Horcrux, then he becomes harder to kill. Tom has always been a charmer, even back in school. But we could all feel the darkness in him, which amplified after he graduated. We were a small group of people who made sure he would not spread his darkness into the world," 

Ophelia looked down at her snake ring and chuckled darkly.

"If only that worked he wouldn't have so many followers in the future. Hogwarts is in danger,"

"Hogwarts has always been weak, it's just a school. You're still young, Dumbledore cannot put all his hope in some kids. Especially not kids like Black and Potter," he added with a roll of his eyes.

"You'd be surprised," Ophelia whispered, touching her necklace.  

"Have I answered all your questions?" he asked, looking in desperate need of sleep. 

"You seem a lot nicer now," she said trying to change the mood.

"If you're here, it means I'm dead in the future. I know that much," he started, sounding like he had made peace with that thought long before she arrived, "I'm not harsh on you because I hate you but because that's how I am. If I were to dot on you, it will not help you improve. Besides, I dislike children and being around so many every day," he explained, one of his eyebrows twitching. 

"Why did you help Tom so many times?"

"Because he's a great manipulator. He gains respect and power with fear and lies while, on the other hand, Peverell gains respect and power because he is honest and friendly. I'll take you being here as a sign that my death will not be in vain, neither will be other deaths that will follow." he said and he smiled.

Ophelia was speechless. Luce Spinnard smiled softly and he caressed her head just like he did back in Scotland. It was warm and sad and she suddenly rose and tried to stop her tears. 

"I-I have to go," she said, catching sight of a clock. He had one right on his bedside in the form of a raven. "Thank you," she said before she made her way to the door.

"Ophelia, don't trust Dumbledore too much. He has his own interests, just like your father," Spinnard gave her one last bit of advice.

The brunette hurried to the bathroom but once she found herself just a few feet away, she slowed down and closed her eyes. Spinnard did watch her for her whole orphan life and he gave her his house, his money, and his friends. 

"And his life," she whispered before she entered the bathroom. 


Rabastan was still in the bathroom when she returned, but she didn't see him. She looked sad and regretful, which meant his idea worked. 

"Are you satisfied with your discussion?" he asked walking behind her. 

Ophelia took off the Time Turner and handed it to him. She wiped her runny nose and took a deep breath in. 

"It was enlightening," she admitted, "I found out where my mother is buried, which I didn't even consider before. I bet Peverell would like to know as well," 

"He probably knows already," Rabastan muttered hiding the time device in his pocket. "What now?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, washing her face and freshening up a bit.

"How does this discussion help you with your father? Did Spinnard say anything new?"

"He said that Hogwarts has always been weak,"

"That's true, especially nowadays," Rabastan muttered, knowing there were Death Eaters running through the corridors as they spoke.

"No, it has to grow stronger and protect the innocent. Hogwarts has to remain the safest place in the world."   

0