Chapter – 39 Guardroom
229 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, this is the room for the security guard. Please wait a moment. Uncle......, I've brought a new security guy!"

The girl (I heard her name is Felicia-chan, and she is 12 years old) who guided us from the reception room to the staff room. Her age is 12 years old. I wonder if she is good friends with the people in the staff room, or is it a rough way to talk to them.

"Felicia, I'm not old enough to be your uncle. I told you to call me your brother."

"What? Uncle is uncle, right? I brought a new security guard because the owner told me to."

Okay, I don't know his actual age, but he has a beard, and from the 12-year-old Felicia-chan's point of view, he is a great uncle. Maybe he is younger than he looks from the way he says, but at least he looks like an uncle, right?

"that's why...... tsk, oh well. So where's this new guy?"

"What are you talking about, she's right here. Oh, maybe you really are an uncle and your eyes are getting worse?"

It seems that Felicia and the uncle in front of her are on good terms with each other. The uncle's tone of voice is abusive, but it doesn't seem like he's really angry.

"Huh? Where are you? Isn't there Felicia and a child smaller than Felicia?"

"Kuhuhu, maybe you really don't know? No, uncle. Judging people by their looks alone will hurt you, okay?"

"What the heck are you talking about......? You can't say that until you've got customers and can make money on your own. So, is it possible that this kid is like that?"

"Boo. I'm not sure. I'm not going to take you seriously, even if I become a full-fledged employee. I don't know all the details, since I was only told by the owner to show you around. I was just told to bring the new security guy here."

"They look like kids to me. Well, if the owner said so, it must be so. Okay, I'll take care of the rest, so Felicia, get back to work. It's time to open the store. If you don't get back soon, Ane-san will yell at you again."

"What? It's that time already? Oh no......, I'll leave the rest to you!"

"Don't be in too much of a hurry!"

I look at Felicia-chan's back as she leaves, a little dumbfounded. I was a little surprised by the lighthearted exchanges between the two. On the other hand, a stubborn old man who wants to grow a stubble, and a girl who can be called a daughter to him. The two of them exchanged light words with each other, and at the end, although it was a bad word, the uncle said that he cares about Felicia-chan. Uncle and Felicia, you two are on good terms. If you look at it with that in mind, you will feel that the eyes that look at uncle Felicia-chan are kind.

"Well, let's get to work here. Hey, new girl, don't just stand there come in, we'll talk inside."

Oops, work, work, work. Switching my mind, I follow the uncle who just said what he said and quickly went into the room.

The room was about 10 tatami mats in size, with a table in the middle of the room and a couch like a cot in the back, probably for napping. In the room, there was an uncle and another large man with muscular muscles who looked like a bouncer. The old man was not so burly in appearance and about average in height, but the macho man looked like a real man. He is tall and has scars on his face, and a weak person would be intimidated by his appearance alone. He is probably in his mid-thirties. By the way, both of them are wearing leather armor. Their weapon seems to be a long sword that they carry at their waists.

"Ah, it seems that this young lady is a newcomer who has joined in place of Mashua. What's your name......?"

"My name is Sakura Fujino, and I'm going to be guarding the place for four days starting today. I'm here at the request of the Adventurers' Guild."

"That's what it seems. Felicia told me that the owner has given his permission. Well, we don't mind as long as you do your job well. My name is Gordon Garrom. You can call me Gordon. Nice to meet you."

Gordon-san seems to have a friendly personality. He accepted me rather easily. Or does it mean that he trusts the owner, Oline-san? I can't say either way from our conversation so far.......

"I'm Muscle Gracia. best regards"

Hey...... Muscle, Muscle, Muscle! Isn't "Muscle" too fitting for Mr. Macho's name? I almost blew it out of the water. No, that would be rude, so I just endured it, you know?

"But still, such a little girl is an adventurer. I thought you had to be at least 15 years old to register as an adventurer. In other words, she must be at least 15 years old....... I can't believe it, but even if you lied, the owner would find out immediately, so I guess it's true....... Just for your information, what is your rank? I used to be an adventurer, too, and I was ranked D. Muscle was C, I think. Muscle was a C, isn't it?"

C and D ranks? ....... Although rank is not a direct measure of strength, it does mean that you are at least capable of that rank, so it is a good reference. 

D ranks are those who have graduated from beginners and have just become full-fledged adventurer, while C ranks are those who have mastered the game. These are just for reference only, but I would say that both of them would not lose to any other adventurer in that area.

Eh? B and A ranks?
Ah.. B rank is a classification that is considered advanced or first-rate. In fact, from B rank, you need to take an examination for promotion.

A rank is very prestigious, right? A rank A adventurer who has made a name for himself is sometimes given a second name, as a sign that he has made a name for himself. Many of them are named after their appearance or fighting style. Most of them have names that I find quite embarrassing, like a chuunibyou syndrome......
And the S rank is......, which is almost a formality. If I had to put a classification on it, I'd say it's "outside the norm". Aside from achievements and abilities, there seem to be many other conditions....... In fact, at this point, there are zero S-rankers. I am not sure because no one else is. There have been several people in the past, but all are considered heroes of their time. It's a rank that currently exists only in form.

And well, this is how each rank is classified. Of course, this is an average and for reference only.

What I am trying to say is that Gordon-san and Muscle-san are reasonably competent. In an indoor environment, the way of fighting is limited, and both of them seem to have a lot of experience in terms of familiarity with fighting against people in such a place.

Oops, my thoughts went sideways. I didn't reply, so Gordon looked at me a little quizzically.

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking. I'm a B-ranker, aren't I?"

"Huh? You're a B? You're a little girl? Even though you're so tiny!"

"You've been calling me small and tiny for a while now. I am a short person. From my point of view, you guys are too big. And I am 19 years old, soon to be 20."

I am not lying. The average height of Japanese women is about 158 cm at age 20, which is quite short compared to people here. ...... I am quite short compared to that, though.

Gordon-san's mouth went agape, as if he is surprised. Is it that surprising?

Muscle looks...... the same, but if you look closely, you can see that his eyes are open. He seems to be surprised too.

"If you want, I can show you my guild card."

I was a little annoyed at their reaction and took the card out of the pouch and showed it to them.  Gordon-san snatched it away from me and checked the contents on the display.

"What do you think? My rank and age are just as I said, aren't they?"

If other people see my face now, they probably have an expression that sounds like an onomatopoeia.

"Huh, it's really a B rank... Age is also written as 19..."

Hmph, I'll forgive you for the words you just said if you apologize now, okay?

"Me, I couldn't even get a C rank even though I spent 3 years on it....... This little girl is ranked B...... haha!"

"Wait a minute. Height has nothing to do with rank, but since there is a point system and no promotion test up to C rank, you should be able to make it as long as you are diligent in receiving requests properly. If you haven't reached C rank even after years of work, you are either failing to take on unreasonable requests and lowering your rating, or you are not completing the requests, you know?"

Incidentally, it takes half a year at the earliest to reach D rank, and a little over a year if you complete requests at a normal pace.

From D rank, there are many requests that require a longer period of time, and many of them pay better. The period of time required to complete a request is also longer, and the period until rank advancement also becomes longer. It is rare for people like me to earn points irregularly.

"Whatever the case may be, if you are strong, there is nothing better than that. It's easier for us and we don't have to worry about it. Don't you think so?"

"Huh? Oh, yes, that's right........ The most important thing to remember is that you can't go wrong with a B-rated card. Well, even if you can't...... help the way you look, you can fight, and that's good enough for the job. Yeah, no problem."

Oh, I'm convinced by Muscle's words. Yeah, well, I don't want to be dragged into this topic forever.

"So, can I ask you to explain the job soon?"

It has been a good amount of time since I entered this room. We are here on business, so we can't just sit around chatting forever.

"Yeah, right. Well, the only job description I can give you is that make regular rounds around the store to make sure there are no suspicious people around, and also patrol the store to make sure there are no problems going on. If there's a problem, take care of it on the spot or call someone to take care of it, and if there's not a problem, come back here and report it and stand by. You'll start out with one of us going around, and after a couple of times you'll be able to do the rest on your own. Also, one of us must stay here. If there's a problem, this is the first place they'll call. The rest of the time, After that... Ah, you can get a late-night snack after midnight and you can eat it. There's a tap there for drinks, so do what you want with the water. You can drink whatever you want, but you will have to prepare all other drinks by yourself. And you can do whatever you want while you are in this room."

Hmmm, they are pretty lax, aren't they? So you make regular patrols, and as long as there is no trouble, you can relax the rest of the time? Well, maybe that's how it is with security guards.

"Ah, the shop should have already started, but is it okay for me to take it easy like this?"

I came to this room shortly before nine. A good amount of time has passed since then. The opening time must have been long passed. If you look outside, you can see that it is much noisier than it was before the store opened.

"Ah, problems don't happen for a while after the store opens. If there is a problem, it's usually because a drunken idiot does something or a customer who misunderstands the situation gets out of control after a minute or two. It doesn't matter if you're relaxed at this time of the day. If something goes wrong, someone will be there to call you. If you're worried, there's a peephole over there so you can see the entrance."

I see, so it is usually drunken customers who cause trouble. So, it is still early in the evening and such customers do not show up at this time.

"Well, just relax for a while. Well...... want to follow me? Muscle-san's doesn't talk much, as you can see. I'll take you on your first rounds."

If you ask me, Muscle-san just introduced himself and opened his mouth a little after that. I thought it was Gordon-san's role to explain, but I guess Muscle-san just doesn't talk much.

"Okay, I will ask you then. By the way, I was thinking of having a cup of tea if I am free to do so until then....... What should I do about hot water?"

There are a few cups in the room, but there are no kitchen facilities....... I don't think that there is only water. No, if it's all men, they could be drinking......?

"If that's the case, tell the kitchen and they'll bring it to you in a pot. If you get one of the girls who work in the kitchen and ask her, she'll get it for you later."

"I understand I'll go ask them."

When I was about to leave the room after saying that, Gordon-san stopped me.

"Wait, wait. Before you leave the room, check the entrance through the peephole. These are customers who come here for a one-night stand. If you see an armed man in front of them, you'll ruin their dreams. Unless it's an emergency, we have to keep a low profile."

Oh, if you ask me, that's true. If a bulky old man or a muscular, strong man comes out of a place where you are being welcomed by a beautiful woman, you might be surprised, wouldn't you think? We are the backstage people, and the front is the place for the glamorous ladies, right?

However, Gordon-san, you seem to be taking it easy, but surprisingly, you are thinking about your work very carefully. I was a little bit impressed.

Following Gordon-san's words, I checked the entrance through the peephole, and after confirming that there were no guests, I left the room. Fortunately, I soon found someone who looked like a booth attendant and asked her to bring hot water to the security room.

Please check the Final 5 Chapter Release Date that i post if anyone wants to know when the next 3 chapter will drop

2