Prologue
1k 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name is Mark Chapman and this is my story.  

I grew up in a small town near Boston, a city in the United States of America, Earth.
Why "Earth", you might ask? Well, I will get to that part quite soon. 

When I was still eighteen years old, my mind was set on studying at Boston University. You see, I've always had an interest in and a natural affinity with electronics, so I was frequently asked by family and neighbors alike to fix things like their computers. But I felt that I was capable of much more than that, so I decided to try getting into university, hoping it might one day help me find an interesting job.  

Things didn't work out for me though. I couldn't even get into university, for the simple reason that the maximum number of students for the coming year was already reached.

The day after this news hit me, I considered my options. Suffice to say that I was really depressed, my thoughts locked into a never ending flow of questions and uncertainty. Should I try to get into another university, one that is located much farther away, or choose an entirely different field of study?    

On that very same day, my mother entered my room and asked if I wanted a coffee break downstairs. I nodded at the suggestion, but when she was about to leave my room, she glanced at my monitor just before closing the door. She saw the image of a wedding, a man and woman dressed for their magical day, holding hands.. 

She didn't say a thing, but decided to sit on my bed.

"Mark, son, I know you are feeling down lately. How about you ask that young girl from the hardware store out for a date? I know you like her."

I looked at her in total surprise, "mom! really? How did you even get that idea that I like her?"

"Well, I noticed how you look at her.. and now you are looking at wedding photos? I can connect the dots, you know?" She was smiling warmly..

That is when I lost my temper, and said "you don't get it do you?"

"Mark, don't you speak to me like that!"  

"But I don't want to ask her out," I said, feeling misunderstood.

"Why not?"

And I still don't know why, maybe I was too angry to notice, but somehow those exact words had left my mouth: "because I am like her!"

She still sat on my bed, silently watching me while I looked away, not wanting her to see my tears.

Then she said, "Mark, I think you are depressed, this is not healthy. Maybe it would be good for you to talk with someone about this. I will set up an appointment with my therapist, you know he helped me get over my anxiety issues."

Thank god she probably understood that I only wanted the girl's job, and was depressed about it. I don't think she understood my true feelings.

I then said, "mom, I was only kidding. It was a joke, I don't need an appointment."

"Then why are you crying?"

"I am just frustrated, I don't know what to do with my life!"

"Then ask her out for a date!"


And so we were back to square one. After that comment I couldn't think straight anymore, so I decided that I needed order in my life, and fast too. In my young troubled mind, the only idea of order was a career in the military. They would tell me what to do and what to study. Of course, things are never this easy in life, but I pushed through and applied for a career in the US Navy. I took notice of their advertisements on TV and have always been fascinated by the military, besides..they have the technology, right?

After a very thorough selection procedure, I was no longer a civilian, but a Seaman Recruit in the US Navy. 

Let's just say that my parents were pissed and they closed the door for me, literally and figuratively.

After many years of efforts and training, I was promoted to Petty Officer 1st Class, an electronics specialist. 

My job is to keep the communications and radar/sonar equipment functioning under all conditions, well...me and my team of course. Honestly, I would never want any other position, this is my life and I love it.

In retrospect, the US Navy was the perfect employer for me. They guided me and helped me find meaning in life. My life is definitely not perfect, but still, I wouldn't give up my job for anything. I even have a modest apartment close to Washington. My parents? Never spoke to them again.

 

This chapter was not sponsored by the US Navy  😉    

23