Chapter 5 – The Fall GriGri
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Would you trust Mr. Bartlett?
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and I'd let him do what he wants to me Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0

Agent Flaurence guided the SUV up the wide arced road leading up to the luxurious small tower building.  Large letters were mounted on the front of it, declaring to the world its name.  Spotlights lit up the outer walls, casting daunting shadows up the side of the stone building and onto perched gargoyles.  A large fountain spewed water high into the sky, only for it to rain back down upon the cherubs from whence it came.  A most delicate garden filled the area between the arcs of the road.  The Fall GriGri was truly a sight to behold.

Agent Flaurence looked back to his passengers, “The Fall GriGri. I don’t know what to expect here, so be careful.” The passengers all nodded, checked their weapons, and concealed them where they could.

“GriGri eh?  That’s voodoo, or hoodoo, for a talisman.”  Red grinned as he unloaded his knowledge onto the vehicle’s inhabitants.  Everyone looked at Red with motionless faces, and turned back to what they were doing.

“No one cares Red.”  Sam chimed in last second.

Sam loaded up her bag again, hiding her axe inside.  She glanced at the small talisman hanging from the hilt.  She didn’t know much about it.  It was a gift from a man that she met on the fateful night that changed her life forever.  Four years ago was a long time.  Some of that time was spent with the man that had given it to her.  He taught her how to fight, not only her enemies, but her fear as well.  The talisman started to emanate with power as they neared the restaurant.  She could feel it growing stronger.  She wished that she had more information about it, but the only thing she did know is that when it hung from her axe, she could kill anything. 

Agent Flaurence drove the battered SUV past several luxury sports cars, and limousines, up towards the front door.  Valets were taking the cars and driving them to a nearby parking garage.  Agent Flaurence drove his bullet hole ridden, broken windowed, busted up, SUV to the nearest valet. 

The valet stared at the black SUV in confusion.  The agents filed out of the car one by one.  Blood and dirt were caked on their clothes, some more than others. 

Andrelle, who was closest to the valet, spoke up, “Never seen a real party?”  She laughed, bearing her fangs as she walked towards the entrance of the building.  The valet just stood in wide eyed silence.

Sam approached next with Starr.  Sam’s jacket reached down to Starr’s thighs.  Sam grabbed her bag and held the girls hand, leading her to the entrance.  She ignored the man and kept walking after Andrelle.

Red stepped out and wiped glass from his shoulder.  He smiled at the valet and followed Sam and Andrelle. 

Agent Flaurence held the keys out to the valet and waved a fifty dollar bill. “Take good care of her, alright?”  The valet took the keys and pocketed the bill.  Joseph shook his head and stared at the bent up SUV.  He let out a short sigh and followed the others inside. 

Men in pin-stripe suits and women in glittering, fancy, ball gowns entered the doors ahead of them.  They stopped to stare at the agents.  The wealthy people whispered to each other as the agents walked past them.   “Should we call the police?”  “Such filthy people.”

“Just keep moving,” Sam held Starr’s hand tighter and pulled her along through the front doors.  The agents entered a large lobby with several dozen people waiting around to be seated.  There were several lavish leather couches and padded arm chairs.  The wealthy people all turned to stare at the agents who were obviously out of place here. 

Sam looked at the front desk.  A man was standing over a book, perusing it with ease. “Bernard, table of four.  We’re ready.”  Two couples stood up and followed a waiter standing next to the man at the desk.  The waiter took them to the end of the room and they walked through a large set of carved, dark wooden, doors, and the group disappeared behind them. 

Sam walked up to the man behind the desk.  He looked the group up and down and smirked, “Can I help you?  Charity scraps are out back.”  He scratched his pencil thin moustache.

Sam ignored his statement, “We’re here to see someone.” 

The man chuckled to himself, “Do you have a reservation?”  Sam shook her head.  They hadn’t been told who they were supposed to meet at the restaurant.  Breaburn had been quite vague about the mission. It added to her suspicions of his motives about sending them to retrieve the package, which turned out to be an odd girl. Nothing seemed right.

She began to speak, but before she could the man cut her off, “Even if you did have a reservation, I wouldn’t let you in dressed like that.” 

Agent Flaurence walked up to the man, “Listen here,” he looked at the man’s overpriced nametag, “Ra’ul.  We’ve gone through hell to get here, and if you don’t let us in, then we will bring hell to your fine establishment.  Now, open those doors and let us in.”

Some of the crowd turned to see what all the commotion was about. 

Ra’ul took a step back, “I have already called security to escort you out.  I will have no riff-raff here.”  Two men in colored suits and a third in a sherwani, made of red silk embroidered with gold symbols, came from the large doors and approached the group causing trouble. 

The lead man in the sherwani stepped up to Ra’ul, “What’s the problem here?”  He held his hands behind his back.

Ra’ul smiled, “These people won’t leave, and I have warned them if they do not leave they will be escorted out.”  He smiled again, “They obviously can’t afford a meal here.”

The lead man took a step closer to Ra’ul and whispered into his ear.  Sam couldn’t make out what he was saying but she knew they had impact as Ra’ul’s face suddenly turned frightful. 

Ra’ul turned to the group stuttering, “I am so sorry for your inconvenience.” 

The lead man stepped up to the group, his reddish-brown hair gleamed in the light.  He gestured with his hand, “You’re expected, please come this way.”  The group shifted gaze between each other for a second.  They weren’t sure they could trust this man, but Agent Flaurence took the lead anyway, waving for his colleagues to follow.

The other two men in suits, who entered with the lead man in the sherwani, waited on either side of the ornate doors.  Sam could see demons battling angles, and smaller people below them, probably humans, getting the backlash of the fight above.  The two suited men pulled the doors open and nodded to them, “Welcome.” 

Agent Flaurence walked into a massive room filled with dark wooden tables and chairs, and all the people to fill them.  Waiters raced back and forth bringing food and from different doors on either side of the large room.  The very same waiters were pouring wine with apt attention to the fullness of their patron’s glasses, while said patrons kept eating the fine foods that looked much too expensive for any normal person, like food you could only dream of.  The patrons looked like they were eating their very own slice of heaven.

Two stairways on both sides of the room led up to a massive balcony.  Even more tables were on top looking down onto the people below.  Massive crystal chandeliers lined the tall ceiling, reflecting an angelic light onto those below it.  A live band played classical music in the middle of the room, lifted up on a small stage.  Ornate carvings of vines and flowers covered the pillars holding up the balcony.  Lavish decorations of gold and silver, as well as paintings of more gods and demons filled the walls.

The lead man stepped in front of the group in awe.  “This way please,” he led the group up a stairway on the right.  The fancy people enjoying their food looked at the agents walking by, who were covered in the byproduct of their battles throughout the night.  The patrons whispered to each other in disgust. 

Starr looked up at Sam, “This place, so nice.” She spoke in a quiet tone, as if trying to be polite. 

Sam looked out on all the people looking at them, “Yes it is nice, just try not to look at the people.” 

Starr looked confused, “What do you mean?” 

Sam’s lip went into a slight grin, “These people are talking about us.  They are probably mad because we are so gross and dirty, and they are trying to eat their food.” 

Starr looked out on the people as she started walking up the stairs.  She saw what Sam meant.  The people whispered and pointed at them, some even seemed a little angry, “Why are they grossed at us?” 

Sam pulled her a little closer, not sure of what to say, “You’ll find out when you’re older.”  She opted out for an easy answer.

Starr looked back out across the restaurant, “I wish I could eat here.” 

As they reached the top of the stairs the lead man turned and faced them, he held out his left hand, “This way, please.”  As Sam and Starr passed, he smiled at the girl, “Your wish is about to come true.” 

They all walked up to a roped off area where two men were standing guard.  One of them pulled off a side of the rope and ushered them through. 

Red closed his eyes and focused on the restaurant. “Keep your guard up guys.  There’s a lot of strange energy here.” 

Agent Flaurence nodded and kept his hands close to the inside of his jacket.  His handgun was nestled in one of his inside pockets, and he wanted to pull it out quickly if trouble started.

They kept walking along the blocked off section of the balcony.  There was one table stationed above the entrance of the doors below.  A single man sat there talking to one of the workers.  The worker soon left and the man turned his attention to the arrival of his guests. 

Sam pushed her way towards the front of the group, getting a good look at the man. 

His suit was white as snow, with shoes to match.  He was young looking with a sense of maturity about him.  He sat up straight with his shoulders leveled.  A slight scruff of his beard covered the lower half of his face.  His one eye was slowly scanning the group, looking them up and down, while his other was covered with an eye patch.  His eye caught Sam and he smiled.  He stood up and grabbed a thin cane, with a small silver ball for the handle. 

Sam dropped Starr’s hand, “Stay with Red, okay?”  Starr nodded and Sam walked forward. 

The man grinned and gave her something she didn’t expect, a hug. “Samantha! I haven’t seen you in ages, love.”  Sam stood stiffly, she was caught off guard.  He took a step back, and looked at the group she was with, “See you still like the company of rough crowds.”  He grinned at her again. 

The party stood still for a second, all of them staring at Sam for answers.

Sam looked back at them, “Don’t worry, we can trust him.”  They all seemed to relax a little, except Agent Flaurence, who still looked about the restaurant. 

The man with the cane held up his arms, “Let’s eat. Please, the food here is exquisite.” 

Sam turned to her companions and nodded, “This is Mr. Bartlett.”  Sam walked over to the table and set her bag down next to her seat. 

Mr. Bartlett lifted his arms in a semi shrug, “How rude of me.  Yes, you can all call me Mr. Bartlett, and welcome to my restaurant.”

Andrelle quickly followed after Sam, as she passed by Mr. Bartlett, she winked at him, “Bon jour’.” 

Mr. Bartlett smiled at her, “Ah, bon jour’ madam.  You look lovely tonight.  I have a perfect room with no sunlight for you to enjoy as you stay here.”  Andrelle smiled seductively and looked the man up and down before taking her seat.

Red walked to the table fidgeting with his fingers.  He held out his hand for Mr. Bartlett to shake, “The name’s Red.” 

Mr. Bartlett shook his hand, “Pleased to meet you.  Go ahead and order anything from the menu.” 

Red’s body went still when he touched Mr. Bartlett’s hand.  It was cold to the touch and something seemed off.  Red nodded to the man and went to take a seat at the table; making a glance back at the one-eyed man as he did so.

Starr followed right behind Red, trying to sneak by Mr. Bartlett. 

Mr. Bartlett bent down to meet her at eye level.  He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a chocolate, “This is an expensive chocolate straight from the Amazon. Sweet yet addicting.”  He patted his stomach, “I should know.”  He smiled at the little girl 

Starr took the chocolate and smiled, “Thank you… sir.”  She then ran to Sam’s side.

Mr. Bartlett stood back up and turned to Agent Flaurence, who was still surveying the restaurant.  Mr. Bartlett walked up to his side, “You don’t have to worry, I have men at every door, and even more throughout the restaurant.  Take a break, agent.” 

Agent Flaurence looked Mr. Bartlett in his one good eye, then back out to the restaurant below.  “It just is a little too convenient to come here and be this welcomed.  So forgive me if I seem a little up tight.  It’s been a rough night.” 

Mr. Bartlett put his hand on Agent Flaurence’s shoulder, “I know how you feel, but this is my restaurant, and I have it under control.”  Mr. Bartlett took a step back, “Believe me, I’ve been with the Institute longer than you have, Agent Flaurence.  There’s nothing to worry about.”  Mr. Bartlett gestured to the table, “Please, take a seat.” 

Agent Flaurence nodded slightly, not knowing if what Mr. Bartlett said was a comfort, or a threat.  He started walking to the table when he realized that he hadn’t introduced himself, but Mr. Bartlett knew his name.  He glanced back one more time at the man in the white suit, and joined his comrades at the table. He couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off about the man.  He had never heard of a Mr. Bartlett at the Institute.

Mr. Bartlett joined them at the table and took a seat, “I hope it wasn’t too difficult for you to get here.”  Everyone at the table let out a sigh. “I see, so tell me what happened?  All I know is that some guests from the Institute were arriving tonight, and that I should care for them with the upmost respect.”  Mr. Bartlett took a sip of wine from his glass, “Anyone else for some wine?”  He poured some into Sam’s glass, “Great year this is.” 

Agent Flaurence spoke out of turn, interrupting Mr. Bartlett, “I came here for answers Mr. Bartlett, not food.  We were almost killed tonight by three different groups of, of, monsters.”  He turned to Andrelle, “No offense,” he turned back to Mr. Bartlett, “But I want answers.  We were supposed to pick up a package, but we got this girl instead.”  He stood up from his chair, “Then we come here and run into a one eyed man who wants us to eat food and relax.”  Joseph pointed to Mr. Bartlett, “I want answers not food, and I know you’re hiding something from us.” 

Mr. Bartlett set down his wine and wiped his mouth with the cloth napkin in front of him.  He leaned back in his chair and sat silent for a second. 

Agent Flaurence stood still, staring at Mr. Bartlett for a while; he was starting to get nervous about what he had said. 

The rest of the table was deathly quiet, and then Mr. Bartlett spoke, “If you wanted to get down to business, you just had to ask.  First things first though.”  He turned to the man that led them to the table, “You have already met Mr. Scott, my right hand man.  He is much appreciated here.”  He looked at Starr who seemed out of place among all the adults.  “I’m sure Starr here would like some new clothes.  I don’t think she enjoys running around in her skivvies now.”  Mr. Bartlett turned back to Scott, “Would you please find the young miss some nice clothes.” 

Scott nodded and walked off to an elevator situated behind the table.  Mr. Bartlett looked back to the table, “Starr if you would accompany Scott here, he will get you dressed and whip up some delicious food, while we adults talk.” 

Starr looked at Sam for direction.  Sam gave her a slight nod and she followed Scott to the elevator, and soon disappeared behind the closing doors. 

Mr. Bartlett looked Agent Flaurence in the eyes, “I appreciate your directness, but a little respect would do you good.”   His words sounded like ice and hit Joseph hard.

Joseph gulped and sat back down. 

Sam was surprised, Joseph was a tough man, yet he backed down so easily.

“I am here to help you after all.”  Mr. Bartlett’s mood lightened and he turned to Sam and winked, “You look gorgeous tonight, even with all the blood and grime.” 

Sam’s skin flushed, and she looked away from the table. 

Mr. Bartlett then loosened his tie a little and took another sip of wine, “I don’t have a clue why this girl here is the package you were supposed to deliver, and I have less knowledge of why everyone is after her.” He set down his wine glass, “That seems like a matter to take up with Breaburn.”

Sam’s eyebrows furrowed, it was Mr. Breaburn who gave them the mission in the first place.  She was now sure that this was somehow a setup.  Breaburn knew more than he gave them at the mission briefing, he was hiding something.

Andrelle took this time to speak up, “And I have told them that the orders to capture her must have come from the top of the vampire’s hierarchy.  No one knew about the mission, unless they were assigned directly from the top.” 

Mr. Bartlett sat back and scratched his chin. “Interesting.  Now tell me the whole story, I might be able to piece this mess together and find out what is going on.” 

While the others started conversing about what had happened so far during the night, Red sat back and closed his eyes.  He could feel a strange power here, something he had never felt before, something dormant but powerful.  He shivered at the thought.

He concentrated and listened to the energies that flowed about.  He slowly started picking up on a low raspy voice in the air.  At first he couldn’t understand the voice, it was too hazy.  He concentrated harder on the voice, letting everything else drown out. 

“The girl with the dark hair is a very old vampire, but don’t worry, her heart is on the mission.  She may have a dark past, but her future is very bright indeed.” 

Red’s eyes furrowed, the voice was clearly talking about Andrelle.  It kept going on for a moment, revealing facts about her.

“Her father was murdered long ago by the one you call Horus.  She has been set on revenge every day since her father died.  Her relationship with the Institute was bread out of this hate.”

Then it changed direction, “Agent Joseph Flaurence of the Institute.  He is frustrated at the Institute and feels that they have betrayed him on this mission, as they have in the past.  But he is strong and still wishes to help the girl above all else.  He won’t let any harm become the girl, even if it kills him.” 

Red had to concentrate with all his might not too lose the voice as it shifted again to Sam.             “Samantha knows something is not right about you, but her mind is clouded by your past together.  She will ultimately succeed in this mission, as she is the most resourceful of the group.  She keeps the talisman on her axe, close to her at all times, feeling your protection makes her happy throughout the day, even though she does not realize it.” 

Red suddenly connected the talisman to Mr. Bartlett.  That is why it could kill even vampires with a single blow.  Mr. Bartlett must know some strong magic or at least he knew how to get ahold of such items.  He certainly had enough resources to acquire such things.  Red’s suspicions were confirmed after all.  Something wasn’t right about Mr. Bartlett.

 Then a strange energy moved over Red. 

“The scrawny man has great psychic ability.  He listens in on us even now.” 

Red’s eyes shot open in a panic as he heard these words.  Mr. Bartlett was staring him dead in the eyes.  Red started to sweat, and he instantly began fidgeting with his fingers. 

Mr. Bartlett tilted his head to the side, “Be careful where you pry psychic.  Some things like to be hidden.” 

The rest of the table looked at each other wondering what this was about. 

Sam quickly spoke up to end the uncomfortable silence, “That is all that we know anyway.  Do you know anything that we don’t?  Is there something we looked past?” 

Mr. Bartlett let his stare on Red move to Sam, “I’ll have some people look into it.  I will look into different avenues myself.”  He stood from his seat and grabbed his cane, “But for tonight, I will have the waiters bring you some food.”  He turned to Agent Flaurence, “I know it would soothe your nerves if you would sit in the security room and monitor the restaurant’s security cameras.”  He turned to one of the guards by the rope blockade, “Mr. Tentin, please take Agent Flaurence here to the security room.” 

The guard nodded and waited for Joseph to meet up with him.  Joseph thanked Mr. Bartlett and followed the guard off to the security room. 

Mr. Bartlett held his hand out for Sam to take, “If you would please follow me to my office, we have things we need to… talk over.”  Sam took his hand and grabbed her bag at her side. 

Mr. Bartlett looked at Andrelle and Red, “You two enjoy your meal, order whatever you please.  It’s on the house.  Spare no expense.”  Mr. Bartlett chuckled at his own comment.

Sam stood and followed him to the elevator behind them.  Sam saw Red and Andrelle looking back at her before the elevator doors closed.  Sam swallowed hard and took a deep breath.

 

Consider donating to my Patreon to support my work- https://www.patreon.com/DakotaCardinet

0