Chapter 7 – The Flight from GriGri
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Mutants, Vampires, Heroes?
  • Mutants Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vampires Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heroes Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0

“You let us in now, or I will cut your head off and drink your blood.”

Ra’ul gulped hard as the three men stood in front of him in the lobby.  They wore long trench coats and their skin was as pale as snow on a moonlit night. 

The one that seemed to take the lead rubbed his beard. “So, will you let us in, or will I be having a free meal tonight?” 

The man next to him had long flowing hair, and a fresh scar across his face.  He calmly looked about his comrades, “I think we should gut him now.”

Ra’ul looked at the man speechless; he rang for security several times, but they were nowhere to be seen.  All of the guests had left, and he was now alone and afraid in the lobby.

The man with the scar reached his hand into his coat pocket.  Ra’ul’s eyes opened wide as he took a step back. 

“This way gentlemen.”  All four of the men at the desk looked at the large ornate doors.  Scott was standing their holding them open, “Mr. Bartlett wasn’t expecting you so early.” 

The vampire with the scar pulled his hand from his coat and waved the other two men to follow. 

Mr. Scott held out his hand inviting them to enter past the heavy wooden doors.  The vamps gave him a dirty look as they passed. 

The bearded vampire spoke up as they entered the restaurant, “We don’t need permission to see our dear friend, Mr. Bartlett.” 

Scott smiled at the bearded vamp. “You should watch your tongue, Bradock.  You have few friends here.” 

The vampire with the fresh scar stepped forward to Scott.  Bradock stopped him with his hand, “Not here Yerick… at least not now.”  Bradock let a malicious grin overtake his face as he finished his sentence.

Scott stood in front of the men unaffected by their taunts. “Please, follow me gentlemen.” 

Bradock turned to the third vampire, “Stev, keep your nose up, she could be hiding anywhere.” The third vampire nodded and followed them up the stairs. 

When they reached the top, Yerick looked at the lone table overlooking the restaurant.  Sitting all alone was Andrelle, grabbing some food off of Red’s plate across the table.  “Look who it is boss.” Yerick nudged Bradock with his elbow. “The traitor, Andrelle, is here.  The girl must be close.”   

Yerick started to reach into his coat again when Bradock grabbed Yericks arm. 

Bradock shook his head at Yerick disapprovingly, “You already screwed up once tonight. Don’t make any moves without my say so.  We can’t afford mistakes this late in the master’s plan.”  Yerick bit his lip and shrugged off his fellow vampire.

  Bradock turned and smiled as Scott led them towards the table.  He knew the elevator to Mr. Bartlett’s office was on the other side, but letting the girl vampire know that she was found out would be a nice topping to this night.  Once he returned with the little girl, master would make a place for him in the new world.

As the trio of vampires got closer to the table, Andrelle looked behind her, hearing the footsteps of several men.  She saw Bradock and her eyes opened wide, behind him she noticed Yerick, the vampire from the warehouse.  She quickly turned back to her food and whispered to herself, “I knew I should have killed him when I had the chance.” 

She soon felt a hand on her shoulder. “I can relax now that I know where you are, my dear.”  Andrelle looked back to see Bradock smiling a devilish grin. 

“Even my friend, Yerick, is happy to see you.” 

Yerick stepped forward and started to say something, but Andrelle quickly cut him off, “Nice face, Yerick, did you do something new?” 

Yerick’s jaw clenched and he bit his lip again, drawing blood.  He quickly reached down and grabbed the back of her neck. “How about I kill you now?  I missed my chance at the warehouse.” 

A sharp pain hit Yerick in the chest. He looked up at Scott.  The man’s hand jabbed at his chest.  Scott gave a slight shove and Yerick jerked back, catching himself from falling. 

Scott’s face was cold as stone. “We are here for business,” Scott pulled his arm back to his body, putting his hands behind his back. “If you step out of line again, you will have to deal with me.” A thin smile then spread across his face, “And them.” 

The vamps looked behind them to see several of the restaurant’s guards holding large rifles.  Bradock shifted from side to side a bit, deciding whether or not he could take them on.  He then forced a smile onto his face and raised his hand to Scott, “Lead the way.”

 

“I need you to hide in here for now.” Mr. Bartlett slowly pushed Sam and Starr into his closet. 

Sam stopped him before he shut the door, “What’s going on here? Answer me now!” 

Mr. Bartlett gave an uneasy smile. “I have some expected guests that are looking for a certain little girl.” 

Sam frowned, “What?” 

Mr. Bartlett tossed her bag into the room and shut the door on Sam, leaving her in the small closet with Starr and a mountain of questions.  She stood quietly for a moment, and then looked down at Starr, who was covering her mouth to keep quiet.  Sam was tired of all the secrecy surrounding Mr. Bartlett.  She wanted answers, answers to why he left her, answers to why everyone was after this little girl, answers to anything.

She shook her head. “Enough.”  She reached up to the closet handle when the elevator rang out with a ding.  She froze and peered through the very small slit in the closet door, trying to get a look at who was entering the room. 

Scott entered first, leaning in to Mr. Bartlett and whispering to him.  Mr. Scott then walked over to the desk, looking in the closet at Sam.  He gave a quick wink and turned to the men that had entered the room. 

They all wore trench coats that seemed to flow in a gust of wind as they walked about. 

Sam could only get a good look at the first man who entered.  He held out his hand to Mr. Bartlett, using his other hand to stroke his beard.

 Mr. Bartlett spoke up as he did so. “I see Horus sent his lapdogs to meet with me.  Too busy to do his dirty work I see.”  Mr. Bartlett smirked.  “He fears what I might do to him if he steps foot through my doors.” 

Bradock’s fist clenched tighter around Mr. Bartlett’s, but Mr. Bartlett gave no sign of pain, “You should be more polite when you talk about our master that way.  He is less forgiving than I am.” 

Sam tried to get a better look at the other two men.  One of them was sniffing about the wall, examining the photos.  The other was still partially behind the man with the beard.  After a few moments of shifting about the closet, Sam was finally able to see him. 

She caught her words before they left her mouth.  It was the vampire from the docks, but she had thought Joseph and Andrelle had killed him, but then again, she hadn’t stayed to find out. 

Starr saw the same man, and edged closer to Sam.  She put her arm around Sam’s leg, and looked up at her in worry.  Sweat was starting to form on the girl’s forehead.

“Let us get on with business please.  I would like to get to sleep before the sun rises, and rid myself of this hideous scar.” The vampire pointed to his face.

The bearded vampire nodded, “Yerick is right.  Do you have the girl or not?” 

Sam grabbed the girl standing next her in the closet, who was still covering her mouth to not let out a scream.  Mr. Bartlett wouldn’t betray her or Starr. He couldn’t.  She had known him to be one of the good guys, the one on her side.  It would all be over shortly if he led them to the small closet.  Starr would be taken and Sam would be killed by the vampires. 

“Let’s not be too hasty gentlemen, you are in my house after all.” Mr. Bartlett strode towards his desk and grabbed his drink.  Scott moved out of his way and stood by the elevator.  “I do not have the girl yet, but she will be here shortly.” Mr. Bartlett took a sip of his drink, and picked up his cane from the side of the desk.  He took a few steps towards the men. “What do you want with her anyway?” 

Sam eased up a bit, she was right about him.  Mr. Bartlett was playing them for information, but the vampire sniffing about the pictures was getting closer to the closet as he inspected the ancient art in the room. 

The third vampire was doing the same thing as Mr. Bartlett, playing the room for information.  Hopefully, Mr. Bartlett would be first to finish, otherwise Sam would be a sitting duck in the closet.  Sam swallowed hard.  Starr followed her lead, and swallowed as hard as she could.

“Do not assume we are friends, Mr. Bartlett.”  The lead vampire stepped forward.  Sam could see rage starting to form on his face.  His neck was tightening as he spoke on, “Our plans are our own, and the vampire race will be quite pleased with them.”  His face lit up with a large smile, revealing the fangs inside his mouth. “Now I would ask again, when will the girl be here? Horus will be displeased if we return empty handed, especially after all the men we lost tonight.” 

Mr. Bartlett took another sip of his drink, and set it back on the table.  His calm demeanor had cast a strange air about him.  He wasn’t the least bit taunted by these men.  “Horus can wait.  She gets here when she gets here.”  His words made the vampires enraged.

The vampire, Yerick, clenched his fist, drawing blood in his palm, and reached into his trench coat, “I’m tired of all this waiting.  Let’s end this now!”  He pulled a large pistol from his jacket and aimed at Mr. Bartlett’s head.

The other two vamps began to reach in their coats, but stopped dead in their tracks. 

Scott stood back, holding two pistols, aimed at the other vampires’ heads.  There was a tense silence in the room. 

Sam pulled Starr even closer to her.  She would need to get Starr to the floor if the bullets started flying. 

Mr. Bartlett stared down the barrel of the gun and into Yerick’s eyes.

The moment of silence was broken by the laughter of Mr. Bartlett.  The vampires looked around at each other, confused by the man in front of them.

“Please gentlemen, even if I did have the girl, you broke the rules.” Mr. Bartlett walked back to his desk and flipped the monitor around. 

Bradock took a slow step forward, “What do you mean?” 

Mr. Bartlett showed them a white van, on the monitor.  It was parked outside the Fall GriGri.  “I’m guessing this isn’t yours then?”  He then flipped the image to another van outside, and then another and another.  He pulled them all up at once. “You brought guests without asking.”

Bradock and Yerick looked at each other.  Scott’s guns were still drawn, keeping them from making any brash moves.

Mr. Bartlett then took his place in front of the group. “Now, will you leave, or do I have to make you?” 

There was another silence in the room. 

The third vampire tilted his head up, and started sniffing the air again.  He could smell something, something human along with something else.

Everyone turned to him.  He slowly smiled and looked at his comrades, “She’s over there!”  He pointed to the closet and started to pull his pistol out. 

Yerick kicked backwards, catching Scott off guard, and knocking him to the ground. 

As Scott fell he aimed at the vampire in front of him, getting two shots off in his chest. 

Yerick shouted in pain and fell to the ground. 

The third vampire moved towards the closet, his pistol drawn.  As he was about to open the door, it swung open hard, knocking the gun from his hand.  He looked in horror as he saw a woman inside with an axe. 

There was no time to move as she swung down on the vampire’s head.  He let out a short gurgle then fell to the floor, bursting to flames.

Mr. Bartlett pulled up his cane and grabbed the silver-balled top.  He pulled off the bottom, which revealed a thin sword.  He stepped up to Bradock, who aimed his gun at Mr. Bartlett, shooting him twice in the chest.  Mr. Bartlett smiled. “You know that won’t work.” 

Bradock tossed the gun aside and held up his fists. 

Mr. Bartlett let out a short laugh, and then disappeared in a gust of black smoke. 

Bradock froze in wonder. “What are you?” 

Mr. Bartlett reappeared behind the vampire, “I’m a man,” he slashed at the vampire several times, disappearing again as the vampire turned to fight him. 

The gust of smoke reappeared behind the vampire. “Who hates.”  He again slashed the vampire multiple times, disappearing like before. “Rats like you.” 

Bradock tried to turn to meet the man again, but failed as he vanished before he could do so.  Deep cuts now had covered the vampire’s body. 

Mr. Bartlett then appeared in front of Bradock, “Infesting my planet.”  He took one more swing at the vampire throat, cutting clean through. “Join the rest of your kin, monster.” 

Mr. Bartlett then kicked the vampire out of the window overlooking the restaurant.  Glass shattered as the vampire flew through it and tumbled to the ground, cut in two pieces.  He exploded into flames as his body hit the ground, leaving a pile of ash.

Yerick looked around the room still lying on the ground.  His eyes stopped at the broken window.  He knew how to escape now.  He jumped up and pushed Mr. Bartlett aside as he leapt out the window and flew to the ground. 

Scott stood and ran to the window, firing his guns at the vampire gliding below him. 

Mr. Bartlett held out his hand for him to stop. “Save your bullets.  There are more outside.” 

Sam stepped forward, grabbing Mr. Bartlett’s arm, “What was that all about?”  She held tightly, not letting him go until he finally answered her.

Mr. Bartlett sheathed his sword and looked at Starr, who jumped over the dead vampire’s scorch mark on the ground, and ran to Sam’s side. 

“The vampires want the girl, more than everyone else it seems.  I’m still not sure why, but I’ll do everything I can to find out, if we make it through this.” 

Sam furrowed her brow, “Make it through what?” 

Mr. Bartlett walked to his desk and pulled out a revolver.  Sam recognized it as the revolver he used four years ago.  Her memories of that night shot back into her mind, and she suddenly got a pins and needles feeling in her stomach.

Mr. Bartlett holstered the gun in his jacket, “A horde of vampires, what else?”

 

Joseph checked his gun and placed it back inside his coat, “Things are going to get ugly soon.”

Mr. Tentin nodded and turned to Folesom, “I want a full scale alert, those vamps outside are going to storm this place.”  Mr. Tentin checked his own gun and shook his head, “Mr. Bartlett didn’t help the situation any.  We’re going to have our very own D-Day because of him.” 

The monitor room was now abuzz with men, running about, calling the reserve guards, and loading large rifles.

Joseph nodded in agreement, “At least he can hold his own right?”  After witnessing the fight upstairs through the camera monitors, Joseph knew that Mr. Bartlett was more than human.  He could disappear in clouds of smoke, and reappear elsewhere.  Mr. Bartlett also took two bullets to the chest without harm.  It scared Joseph a little, but he believed Mr. Bartlett was truly on their side.  Joseph didn’t want to know what else the man could do.

“Alright, Joseph, are you ready for a fight?” Mr. Tentin smiled and started heading for the door.  He wanted to prove his men could fight just as well as any Institute agent, and the chance to fight was nigh.  He hoped that no one would die, but he fought enough battles to know that wasn’t going to happen.  People died, and all he could do he was his best to prevent that.

“Tentin!  We may have a problem here.”  Folesom brought up what he was looking at on the wall of monitors, “This garbage truck here.”  Folesom pointed to the large screen.

Mr. Tentin stepped forward and stared at the truck for a minute, “So? I don’t have time to take out the garbage.”  Several men chuckled at the comment.  Tentin smiled, he was at least lightening the mood.

“Well, I thought the same thing but,” Folesom fast forward the video feed he was showing Tentin.  The large garbage truck had passed by many times.  “It has passed by the restaurant twenty-five times now.  This late at night, I don’t think it’s a coincidence.” 

Mr. Tentin nodded.  If it was something to worry about, it would have to wait.  He looked at the security room door as gunfire rang out in the restaurant, “Folesom, stay here and radio me if anything goes on.”  At least then he would have a heads up if anything was off about that garbage truck. 

He pulled his gun out and looked at Joseph, “We’ll get you to Mr. Bartlett’s office, so you can take care of your friends,” he started walking to the door in a cool manner. “The rest of you grab a gun and follow me!”  The men in the security room shouted out in affirmation as they grabbed any gun they could find.

Joseph lined up behind Mr. Tentin with the rest of the monitor room men behind him. He glanced back to see them all holding various weapons.  “At least we’re well armed,” he whispered to himself before Mr. Tentin opened the door. 

Mr. Tentin barged out raising his gun left, then right, and then he waved at the rest of the men to follow him out.  More and more gunshots rang out across the restaurant, followed by screams of pain and death. 

Joseph could hear that the vampires had hit several spots at once with the noise coming from various directions.  “Where are we going, Tentin?” Joseph asked the lead man, not knowing any of the guard’s protocol.  They could be set up in squads, if so, Joseph would only slow them down.

Mr. Tentin stopped at the edge of a hallway right off of the main eating area, and raised his fist.  The group stopped instantly.  Mr. Tentin looked back at Joseph. “First I got to get you to the elevator.  The rest of us are fortifying the main eating area.  If you have time we can use your help.” 

Agent Flaurence nodded, “I’m sure you could use all the men you can get.” 

Mr. Tentin peeked his head around the corner slowly; the men behind him sat against the wall, waiting, their anticipation rising.  He turned his head back to the men following him, “Let’s go.”  He then charged around the corner, raising his gun, “Kill every last blood sucker!”  The men shouted war cries as they followed their leader into battle.

Joseph turned to the men behind him taking one last glance at their faces.  He wanted to wish them all luck and hope they all made it through the fight, but as he turned back to face Mr. Tentin, he knew that wasn’t going to happen. 

He pulled his gun quickly and ran out into the chaos that had undertaken the restaurant. 

Many men lay on the ground, their bodies mutilated past recognition.  Others had taken up behind a blockade of tables, firing on any vampire that came near them.  Vampires were running amok everywhere he could see.  They jumped over tables, clawing, shooting, or stabbing any man that got in their way.  Gun shots rang out in every direction.  Men desperately clung to survival as the onslaught ensued.

Joseph looked at Mr. Tentin; he had stabbed a vampire in its heart, throwing it to the ground before it burst to flames. 

Joseph raised his gun and fired at a vampire flying through the air at Tentin.  The bullets hit her square in the chest, knocking her to the ground. 

Tentin quickly looked at Joseph and gave him a slight nod before stabbing the vampire through the chest. 

Agent Flaurence looked at the men behind him, one was shot in the shoulder lying on the ground, blood pumping from his wound.  Several of the men tipped over tables, dragging the bleeding man behind the them for safety. 

Another guard pulled his fully automatic rifle to bear on a vampire lunging for his neck.  The bullets tore through the vamp as the man held his finger on the trigger, he yelled out a war cry as he expended every last bullet in his gun.  The vampire slumped to the ground and twitched for a few moments before going up in flames. 

Joseph turned back to face Mr. Tentin, who was waving him over to the stairway which they ascended when first arriving at the restaurant.  Joseph started to dart form cover to cover, keeping his head low.  A loud twang of snapping metal brought his attention to the ceiling.  Joseph’s mouth went agape as he saw a massive crystal chandelier plummeting towards him.  He turned and sprinted as fast as his legs could carry him.  His muscles burned with exhaustion.  He hadn’t had time to rest since the warehouse, and it was wearing him down considerably.  Joseph took one last leap, hoping the chandelier wouldn’t smash him into human pulp.

The chandelier crashed down in an explosion of noise.  It crushed everything beneath it instantly, spraying broken shards of crystal in every direction.  Joseph looked back at the wreckage.  If he were a few seconds late, he would be dead.  He looked back up at the ceiling.  A lone vampire was clinging to the roof, laughing hysterically.  Several of the guards nearby focused their fire on the vampire.  In seconds, the vampire was eviscerated by a hail of bullets.  Joseph thanked the men and pushed himself back to his feet.

Joseph met up with Mr. Tentin behind a pillar by the stairway. A few of the monitor room men had followed, the rest stayed behind helping out the others trapped in the chaos of the restaurant.

Mr. Tentin looked at the man in front of him.  He was panting for air and rubbing his arm down.  Mr. Tentin wanted to crack a joke to lighten the mood, but figured this wasn’t the time for joking.  His new friend almost died.  “You ok there, Joe?”

Joseph just held up his thumb, still panting for air.

“Ok, just up the stairs and a straight shot to the elevator.”  Mr. Tentin turned to Joseph while reloading his gun, “That’s when you get in and get Mr. Bartlett and your friends out.” 

Agent Flaurence nodded and checked his gun.  He finally caught his breath and was able to speak, “I’ve been through hell and back Tentin, you can trust me on getting this done.” 

Joseph’s words caused Tentin to smile. Whether he was joking about being through hell or not was hard to judge.  He had a very strange line of work after all. 

Joseph nodded and took lead.  He darted out of the cover and charged up the stairs, raising his gun at several vampires jumping down at him. Aim for the head.  Joseph had one clear thought going through his mind, and he wasn’t going to mess it up. 

The first vamp pulled out a gun while charging him, but didn’t get far before he fell to the ground, flinging his gun into the air as he did so.  The second vamp growled at the death of her comrade and pulled a knife out of her coat.  She hurled it at Joseph with incredible speed. 

In a split second the Agent fired his gun twice, with a loud ding at first, flinging the knife outward into the restaurant, followed by the crash of a body that soon burst into an inferno.  There was no room for error now, and he definitely would not be killed by meager vampires. 

Several more shots sounded out behind Joseph.  The men had followed him and charged up the stairs with the same force as Joseph.  A slight smirk appeared on Joseph’s face, “Mr. Tentin trained some good men after all.”

 

Red zipped his pants up.  He sat in the stall for what seemed like an eternity.  He was trying his hardest to make sure the vampires had left the lobby, so he wouldn’t have to confront them again.  “There’s no way they are still out there,” Red whispered to himself, trying to cheer up as much as he could. 

He walked up to the mirror and turned on the faucet.  His eyes were a little red, and bags started to form beneath them.  His short buzzed head had some bruises and some blood was still caked in his nose.

He chuckled to himself, “The Institution, ain’t no rest for the wicked.”   As he washed his hands, he slowly started to think something was wrong.  It was quiet.  He should be able to hear a crowd of people talking about their latest television series or whatever else they talk about, but it was silent.  Not that Red knew enough people to know what normal people talk about.  He spent most of his days studying the psychic phenomenon, and why only a handful of people are born with such a gift.  But it was just that eerie silence.

In his line of work, silence only meant one thing, trouble.

He shifted his head slightly at the sound of a tap, or a pop.  He slowly walked to the bathroom door.  He could hear more and more. 

He propped open the door slightly to gaze out upon the restaurant lobby.  It was vacant except for the desk jockey they had encountered earlier.  Ra’ul flinched every time one of those pops sounded off, but he seemed to be relatively unaffected.

Red noticed even more of the pops, but they were louder now with the door open, then he realized it.  Those weren’t pops, but gun shots. 

Red shut the door and slumped up against it.  He quickly started to think about what was happening in the restaurant.  “What if they need my help?” Red whispered into the air.  He wasn’t a fighter, but a thinker.  Sure, he had a powerful ability, but to put it to use in a fight would mean endangering himself.

He slowly dropped to the ground and rubbed the back of his neck.  Red sat on the floor, and continued debating with himself.  He could help his partners, but then he could also get shot, which wouldn’t do him any favors. Plus, they were rather rude to him, at least the girls were.

In the end, he couldn’t let his partners die while he hid in a restroom.  Fighting his cowardice, he rose to his feet and grabbed the handle.  “Alright Red, just open the door and get to the restaurant.” 

He closed his eyes and tightened his grip on the door.  He took a few deep breaths and jumped in place. “Let’s do this.”  With a final sigh, he opened the door.

 

Folesom sat quietly in the surveillance room, peering out onto the many screens that lay before him.  He had locked the door when the others left and only a handful of people knew the code to open it.  As long as he sat neatly tucked in his room, he would be safe from any harm.  The feeling was a good one, to know when you’re safe no matter the outcome of the battle that raged outside.

He quickly glanced to the door, still hearing the fight between vampire and man that sprawled out across the restaurant.  He gave a quick smirk, “They would need a tank to get in here.”  He found slight humor in the fact of being locked up in the room, but it all soon faded as he looked back at the monitors. 

Folesom could see dead comrades all around, and burn spots on the ground from the vampires last moments.  Despite the number of corpses, the restaurant guards were giving the bloodsuckers hell.  The numbers of vampires were fading quickly, and Mr. Bartlett and his friends seemed to be safe as well. 

He looked at the monitor that surveyed the front of the restaurant.  Still no garbage truck to be seen, maybe he was just too paranoid.  He picked up his pistol that was lying beside him and checked it for ammo. It was still loaded and good to go.  But then again, you could never be too paranoid when a horde of vampires just attacked your place of work.

He continued to mess with the gun a bit then slowly set it down as his attention was caught on one of the screens.  “What’s going on here?”  The garbage truck from before was driving to the front of the restaurant.  He typed away on his keyboard, bringing up several camera angles on the truck.  His paranoia was correct, but he truly wished it could be wrong, just this once.

It slowly started to turn until the back of the truck was facing the front doors of the GriGri.  Folesom stared at the truck, trying to get a look at the driver, angling his cameras anyway possible, but had no luck.  The blackened windows made it impossible for him to see.  “What are you planning?”

Then, as the lights on the back of the truck flicked on, he had his answer.  He scrambled for his radio, fumbling with the buttons as he grabbed it.  “Tentin! Sir! We got a problem in the lobby.”

                                                                                            

Red took his first step out of the bathroom, looking around the lobby as he did so.  Distant gunfire still filled the air, and the only other person in the lobby was the desk man, Ra’ul, who caught Red’s eyes as he looked at him. 

The desk man raised his chin and turned around, completing some other task behind his counter.  He added a, hmph, as he turned away, still taking the agents arrival with personal animosity.

Red slightly shook his head, “Some people.”  He quit fidgeting with his fingers, and put his hands into his pockets, as it seemed the only way he could stop fidgeting in these situations.  The lobby looked safe, and the desk man didn’t look the least bit worried, so he decided to ask the man what was happening.  A little information could go a long way.

As he was walking to the doors a beeping noise caught his attention, it was a little quiet at first but it was getting closer.  He stopped behind one of the lavish couches to find out what the sound was, “Couldn’t hurt being away from the gunfire for a little longer.” 

He didn’t realize he spoke out loud as Ra’ul shook his head and spoke in return, “Some people.” 

Red pushed the comment aside and spoke up, “There’s gunfire in the dining room.  Why aren’t you worried?  Do you even know what’s going on?”

The desk man turned to Red. “There isn’t much I don’t know about in this restaurant.”  He spoke with his shoulders slightly turning side to side.  Red couldn’t help but dislike this man, but then again, he didn’t like many people.  Red just didn’t seem to get along with anyone.

“And I have locked the door, which is impenetrable by anything more than human.  I also locked the front doors there.”  He pointed at the large row of glass that served as the entrance to the Fall GriGri.  “They’re also bullet proof.  So as long as I sit tight right here, I will come out of this night alive. Hmph.”  Ra’ul pursed his lips together and turned back to his desk work.

Red was about to speak up when a light outside the door caught his eye, “What is that then?”  Red pointed at the door. 

Ra’ul looked over his shoulder, he squinted his eyes as he did so. 

The lights were rapidly approaching the door way, too fast for comfort.

Reds eyes opened wide and he threw himself to the ground, covering his head.

Ra’ul looked back at Red in confusion.  He was about to speak when a deafening crash of shattering metal and glass knocked him off his feet. 

Debris blasted all around the room blowing holes in the lobby walls and furniture.  A large cloud of smoke swirled around the room as the sound died out, and left a silence more unnerving than a demon from the darkest depths of hell. 

Red coughed as he stood.  He was trying to see what had caused the wreckage, but the smoke screen still hung about the air.

As the dust finally settled, Red saw that the backend of a local garbage truck had smashed into the front doors at full force.  Red’s eyebrows pushed together with confusion, what was a garbage truck doing here.  Terrible thoughts swirled around Red’s head.  He wouldn’t stick around to see the reason why.

Red’s attention was pulled over to the front counter.  Ra’ul was stirring from the wreckage, he ran his hand under his nose collecting a small pool of blood.  Ra’ul looked up at Red.

“You all right?” Red yelled from across the room, not really caring what the answer was.  He did it out of decency more than concern.

Ra’ul nodded, “What is this maniac doing?” 

Red started to approach the front counter to help the man, but was stopped by the mechanical whizzing of the truck. 

The back latch started slowly opening up.

Red stopped dead in his tracks, and slowly lowered himself back behind the couch, peeking from over the back of it. “This isn’t going to end well.” 

The latch slowly moved upwards until it was fully opened.  The inside was pitch black, too dark for his human eyes to see, but Red didn’t need his eyes find out what was inside.  Red closed his eyes and reached out to the truck with his mind, trying to scan its contents to get an answer of what was contained inside its metal bulk.  Something seemed familiar about his readings.  He had sensed this energy before, something filled with pain, inside and out.  Rejection hung about its soul like a leech.  He could sense the feelings of outcasts.  His eyes suddenly shot open, “Mutants.” 

As if it was right on cue, a long spike shot out from the back of the truck, jabbing straight into Ra’ul’s heart.  Red saw the man’s eyes open with disbelief before they were consumed with the empty glaze of death.  Blood slowly started pouring out of his mouth as he slumped to the floor. 

Red kept peering from his hiding spot, his heart racing, beating like an engine out of control, when a long legged, hunched over, woman came out of the truck. 

Four long spikes stretched from her back to the ground in front of her, holding her up like strings to a marionette. She resembled a human, who was morphed into a spider by a crazed scientist.  Behind her a man jumped down from the truck, making a hideously disgusting splat as he did so.  His skin was melting from his flesh, and sizzling when it hit the ground, yet, it was being regrown at an incredible rate. 

Red ducked his head as one of the mutants looked his way.  “I gotta get out of here,” He wiped the sweat from his brow and looked to the large wooden doors leading to the restaurant. 

He should have brought a gun, but then again, his mind never let him down before.  It was risky to try and get into the dining room, especially when it was full of bloodthirsty creatures trying to kill anything that moved, but if he stayed behind the couch, the mutants would indefinitely find him, and he would be killed anyway.  The choices weren’t fair by any means, but the first would at least let him live for a few more minutes.   He took a deep breath, and decided.

He stood and sprinted to the door. 

The spider lady’s head whipped in his direction, she yelled out as he sprinted past her, “Kill him! Kill the surface dweller!”  Several spikes went flying over Red’s head.  He didn’t see where these spikes were coming from, but at this moment he didn’t care, as long as none of them impaled him.  He raised his hand and concentrated on an incoming spike, deflecting it into the floor in front of him.  He gave a quick smile, psychic wins against mutant, every time.

A large mass of goop was hurled at Red, hitting one of the couches in front of him.  He caught a glimpse of what the goop had done; it quickly melted through the couch’s fabric and wood.  He frantically glanced at the mutant who threw it.  It was the melting man, who was scooping more of his flesh and pulling his arm back for another throw. 

Red cringed with disgust.  If just one of those skin blobs hit him, he’d be retiring early.

Red finally reached the giant doors to the dining area.  He raised his hands and focused on opening the door, but it wouldn’t budge.  His mind jumped to something the recently departed Ra’ul had said.  They were locked.  Red quickly cast his mind into the locking mechanisms and shot the door open.  Using his momentum from the sprint he jumped inside the dining room, landing on his back, facing the lobby.  He saw more mutants pour into the lobby from the truck. 

He quickly raised his hands, mind focusing again on the door, and threw the doors shut.  Red sighed and tried to catch his breath.  He turned to the restaurant he had once been dining in.  There was gunfire and bodies everywhere.  The massive chandelier was smashed into pieces on the floor, while scorch marks peppered the ground all about. 

“Oh, god. What happened while I was pooping?” 

A vampire to his left had just finished sucking the blood from a man and it turned to Red, “Another snack?”  The vampire dropped the dead man and began walking towards Red. 

As Red scurried to his feet a loud gunshot rang out next to him, deafening his ear.  He immediately grabbed his ear, “Christ!”  He turned to see Agent Flaurence next to him, and a group of the restaurants guards holding down the stairs.

 “Red!  You’re alive!” 

Red could barely make out Joseph’s words, “Joseph, we have to move now! Muties are in the lobby!”

Mr. Tentin spoke form his place on the stairs, “Folesom just radioed me. Got about fifteen mutants in the lobby.”

Agent Flaurence shook his head, “We’ll deal with them later. We have to get to Sam and Starr.  They could be in trouble.” 

Red nodded and ran up the stairs, following Joseph’s every move.  They passed the men on the stairs, who were giving a cover fire to the men fighting off vampires below in the dining area. 

Mr. Tentin yelled to Joseph, “We have this covered, just get to Bartlett!” 

 A bullet whizzed past Joseph’s head as he took lead up the stairs and turned to the table his comrades had been eating at before.  He scanned the area for threats before running to the elevator.  “Where’s Andrelle?”  Joseph took a quick glance back to Red, who was fidgeting badly with his fingers. 

“Not sure. I left her to go to the restroom, and then all hell broke loose.”  As Red walked by the table a hand from below reached out and grabbed his ankle.  Red jumped into the air, yelping out in a high pitch. 

Joseph spun quickly raising his gun. 

A laugh came out from underneath the table as Andrelle’s head popped out of her hiding place, “I couldn’t resist.”  She kept laughing for several more seconds. 

Joseph lowered his gun and rubbed his head, “What are you doing under there?  There’s a war going on.”  He pointed out across the restaurant.  They all flinched, ducking down, as a bullet flew above their heads and into the wall nearby. 

Andrelle pulled herself up to Joseph’s level, “A bunch of men are killing vampires, and well, I’m a vampire. If I die, I’d rather not die by friendly fire, thank you very much.” 

Andrelle turned to Red, who was holding his chest, “You scream like a girl.” 

Red was about to interject, but was cut off by Joseph, “There’s no time for this, we have to find Sam.”  Andrelle smirked at Red one last time before following Joseph to the elevator. 

Agent Flaurence hit the button next to the door and looked up to see the elevator was already on its way down.  “Step back,” Agent Flaurence held his hand out, pushing Red and Andrelle behind him.

The elevator came to a stop.  Joseph raised his gun at the elevator. 

The elevator dinged and the doors opened up. 

Sam stepped out first holding Starr.  She looked up at Joseph aiming his gun at her.  Her eyes widened and she almost fell to the floor, “Friendly! Whoa, we’re friendly.” 

Agent Flaurence lowered his gun and let out a sigh.  “I’m glad it’s you guys.  Are you all right?”

Sam and Starr nodded in unison.

Mr. Bartlett and Scott both came out of the elevator.  Mr. Bartlett looked out across his restaurant.  Bullet holes punctured paintings and walls.  Blood stains were splattered all over the tables and columns. Furniture was destroyed and glass lay across the ground.  A massive chandelier was crashed upon the ground.  

Mr. Bartlett spoke after a moment of silence. “What a pity.”  Mr. Bartlett shook his head and pulled his revolver from his coat, “But we’re not safe yet.”  He walked up to the guest that he had received earlier, “Joseph, take Starr down to the parking garage.” Mr. Bartlett pulled a key from his pocket, “There is a brown minivan in spot b3 and instructions to a safe house.  This is no place for Starr to be in.  We can’t afford the vampires to take off with her.” 

He turned to Red and Andrelle, “Go with him as well, this is no place for a vampire right now, and Red can shield Starr from other psychics trying to look for her.  When you guys make it to the safe house, just sit tight and protect Starr.  I will send for you when all is safe.  Hopefully we can figure out why the vampires want her in the first place.” 

Sam stepped forward and interjected, “We shouldn’t split up, and I don’t want Starr out of my sight.” 

Starr spoke up, “Don’t worry Sam, I will see you again.”  Starr gave a small smile and then Sam handed her over to Red.

“Take care of her Red, or your nuts are mine.” 

Red gulped, knowing that the threat was probably true, but the mutants gathering in the lobby was a bigger threat to him, and the others, right now. 

He turned to Mr. Bartlett, “We have a problem in the lobby though.”  Red shifted Starr in his arms, “Mutants smashed through the front door.  They must be looking for the girl too, since they lost her at the docks.” 

Joseph stepped forward, “Probably working for the same person as the mutants at the dock.”  He checked his gun for ammo, “If that’s so, then we should get moving.” 

“Mr. Scott,” Bartlett looked to his second in command, “Take Tentin and the rest of the men to the front doors and take care of the problem.”  Mr. Scott nodded, with his hands behind his back as always.

Mr. Bartlett held his hand in front of Sam for her to take, “Come, and let us take care of these vampires, love.  I would enjoy seeing how much you have improved over the years.”

Sam’s skin flushed bright red.  She tightened her grip on her axe and took his hand, “Lead the way.”  They both smiled at each other and took off towards the stairs. Sam turned and took one last look at Starr.  She knew Joseph would take care of her, but a bad thought nagged at the back of her mind, the pins and needles again.  She pushed it aside and followed Mr. Bartlett down the stairs.

Mr. Scott pulled out two guns he had within his sherwani. “Mr. Tentin!” 

Mr. Tentin quickly turned to look at Scott. 

“I need your men set up along the balcony to give me cover fire.  I’ll take care of the rest.”   Scott gave a devious smile.

Agent Flaurence grabbed Tentin on the shoulder before he could go, “Take care and kill them all, brother.” 

Mr. Tentin smiled, “Of course.  And when you get back, I’ll buy us a round of beers.”  He had enjoyed the agent’s company, even though they had only met for a short time, but the thought that he would never see him again pushed its way to the front of his mind.  He dismissed the thought as they nodded and parted their separate ways.

Agent Flaurence called out to Red and Andrelle, “Come on, let’s get out of here before anything else shows up.  I don’t think I can handle anything else tonight.”

 

Scott ran up to the balcony and jumped up on the ledge.  He looked back at Tentin and the several security guards left unscathed by the vampires, “Watch my back, and please, don’t shoot me.”  The men nodded, and Scott then leapt off the balcony to the floor below. 

The men gave out a gasp and ran up to the ledge.  It was a good twenty foot drop, and jumping off would be insane.  They peered over the edge of the balcony in wonder, worry, and wishful thinking for their comrade.

Scott landed safely on his feet facing the large doors that served as an entrance to the dinning area.  The men gazed upon their leader as he stood unscathed by the drop.  They wondered what he truly was. 

Scott stood for a moment and shut his eyes.  He breathed deeply and uttered a prayer of destruction to his mother.  He would do her work, and destroy the mutant invaders with all the ferocity taught to him long ago by his matriarch.

The large doors burst open, accompanied by the shouting of a rabble of mutants.  They quickly stopped shouting their war cries, and instead, they stared at the lone man standing in their path, wondering why one  man would do such a thing.  The wonderment was short lived.

The sludge man stepped forward, “This one’s mine.”  He grabbed a chunk of his melting flesh and raised his hand. 

Mr. Scott took one last breath and opened his eyes.  The sides of his sherwani suddenly shredded as two more arms came to bear a second set of pistols. 

Confusion spread throughout the mutant ranks.  They looked back in forth at each other, wondering if a fellow mutant stood before them. 

A slight smile spread across Scott’s face.  Then he let loose a hail of bullets.  All four of his automatic pistols rang out simultaneously.  The bullets hit the mutants hard, shredding into them without mercy.  The large caliber shells tore apart limbs and blew holes clean through the mutants’ bodies.

The sludge man was ripped apart instantly, his sludge skin flying back on his comrades.  Screams let out as their flesh started to bubble away.

As quickly as it started, it was over. 

Scott took a step back, looking to the men at the balcony. 

They all stood in disbelief, wondering what Mr. Scott really was, and on top of that, he took out a group of mutants single handedly.  He was something more than man.

Mr. Tentin let out a short gasp as he watched the scene from the balcony.  He rubbed his chin inquisitorially; he could have sworn he saw Mr. Scott’s skin flash blue when he tore down the mutant ranks, but it happened too quickly to tell from such a distance.

“That didn’t take long now,” Scott shouted up to the men.  He looked down to the group of mutants, “Hmmm, thought there’d be more.” 

His guns suddenly dropped as a spike pierced his shoulder.  Blood squirted from the wound as he fell to the ground.  He looked up at the bottom of the balcony. 

A spider like lady was clinging from the ceiling, a devilish smile hanging from her face.  The four long appendages that sprouted from her back had held her out of Scott’s bullet barrage, keeping her safe from the demise of her fellow mutant conspirators.  She held her arm out, pointed at Mr. Scott.  He could see a new spike forming in the hole that occupied her wrist.

Mr. Tentin stared down at his partner in disbelief.  No one had ever taken down Scott.  Tentin’s mind was racing on what to do, but no matter what he thought, there wouldn’t be enough time to help Scott.  He looked to his left.  The stairs were his only bet to get Mr. Scott out alive.  He was only a man after all, he couldn’t jump down from these heights and still be able to walk about, let alone help his injured friend.

A scream brought his attention back to the guardsmen next to him.  A long spike that looked like a spider leg came from over the balcony railing, impaling one of his men.  It then flicked backwards flinging the man off the balcony, sending him to a sudden crunch on the ground below. 

The creature that had killed the man and impaled Scott had just started climbing the balcony rail, giving Mr. Tentin no more time to think. It almost resembled a woman, but was hideously disfigured, like a mutated spider.  He had to act. 

A shrill laugh was let out of spider creature’s lungs as it impaled another man.  A spike suddenly shot from its wrist killing the last guard that accompanied Tentin. 

Tentin raised his gun to fire at the beast, but another one of her long spikes swiped the gun away.  Mr. Tentin reached into his jacket, pulling out a large combat knife.  He lunged at the lady-spider, driving his knife deep into her chest.  The spider-lady let out a shrill scream.  Mr. Tentin stepped back covering his ears, trying to block out the scream.  The creature backed up to the wall, and started to climb up the side of the restaurant. Mr. Tentin dove on her, and grabbed her around the stomach.  He held her as tightly as he could, “I’ll drag you to hell with me!” 

The mutant started climbing the wall, thrashing about to shake the man clinging to her with an iron grip.  She raised her arm and a spike instantly grew from her wrist.  She brought it down hard on Tentin’s shoulder, drawing a small fountain of blood. 

He let out a cry of pain, and then he pulled his knife from her chest.  The spider lady pulled her spiked arm back to the wall for support. “Your last mistake, you freak.” Mr. Tentin then stabbed the knife through her arm and into the wall. 

Tentin lost his grip and began to fall.  He looked around frantically, spotting anything to prevent himself from falling to his death.   He shot his hands out, catching himself on one of the long spines protruding from the spider lady’s back.  He looked down to the restaurant floor.  It was a long drop, one he wouldn’t survive.  Again, in the same night, he had no other option but to keep moving forward and hope for the best.  He knew what he had to do.

“This better be worth it,” he whispered to himself as he reached down to his ankle, and pulled out a small revolver.  He raised it at the lady’s head, not thinking twice, “See you in the next life.”  He pulled the trigger, ending the shrill screams of the monster in an instant. 

The spider-lady went limp with dead weight, and ripped the knife from the wall, sending Mr. Tentin plunging to the floor.

 

Sam ripped her axe from the body of a vampire, and then kicked it back as it burst into flames.  Ashes rained down upon the carpet in front of her.  She looked over at Mr. Bartlett, who was standing over a vampire, his cane pinning it down by the throat.  It writhed in agony, letting curse words slip out when it could get a breath.

He was looking Sam, staring at her bright hazel eyes.  He admired the perfect mixture of brown and green. “Just stopped to admire your work,” then he pressed the cane down with an immense force.  The vampire erupted into flames. 

The sound of several guns blazing broke out behind them.  Sam instinctively flinched as she turned around to see Mr. Scott blasting away at the mutants rushing in from the lobby.  She was surprised at Mr. Scott, not because of his combat prowess, but that Mr. Scott was holding four guns in four arms.  She turned to Mr. Bartlett, confusion on her face, “What is he?” 

Mr. Bartlett pulled out a cloth from his pocket and started wiping down his cane. “He’s one of a kind.  Some say he is the offspring of a goddess.  He is an invaluable member to my team here.  I wouldn’t have made it this far without him.” 

Mr. Bartlett held his elbow out for Sam to take. “There are more vamps in the kitchen, if you’d accompany me?” 

Sam noticed his sudden change in conversation, as he normally does when she gets close to a straight answer from him.  Sam put the thought from her mind.  This was no time to be second guessing Mr. Bartlett.  She needed to make sure that Starr would be safe.  That was her highest priority.

Sam looked around the restaurant.  All the vampires had retreated or moved deeper into the restaurant, probably still looking for Starr, or just trying to escape alive.  She looked back at Mr. Scott at the door.  He had just finished firing his guns and with Mr. Tentin there, they should have the mutants covered for now.  Sam relaxed a bit.

Sam looked back into Mr. Bartlett’s eyes.  A slight smile crept on his face as she did so.  He had the perfect mix of yellow and blue, making a beautiful green, equal to the most luscious forests.

She looped her arm in his, “After you.” 

Mr. Bartlett held out his cane, “This way, madam.”

 

Joseph slowly moved through the elevator doorway, holding his gun in firing position.  He quickly scanned the area and then waved at his partners to come out.  Joseph had been caught before by creatures lurking around corners, but with the life of a little girl in his hands, he would do anything possible to protect her.  “Okay, I’m looking for B3.  There should be a brown minivan with some instructions inside.”  He looked around the parking garage, not knowing where to even start looking, “I guess we’ll just go straight and hope we find it.” 

Andrelle looked at Joseph and shrugged, “Your guess is as good as mine.”  She took a few steps forward, “Who knew there’d be so many cars down here.  They must be the guards’ cars.”  She looked out on the full parking garage in surprise.  “And Mr. B sends us down here to look for a minivan. You think he would give us a corvette, that cheap bastard.”

“Can we hurry this up?”  Red didn’t quite enjoy Andrelle’s lack of seriousness.  At any time they could be in a serious predicament, especially with Starr in his arms.  He could feel her fright strongly with her being this close.  Red shifted Starr around in his arms, “I’d like to get away from all the people trying to kill us.”   Starr nodded and held him tighter.

Joseph scoffed, “So would I.” 

They walked down the main aisle, their heads turning at every sound and echo.  It was the unnerving silence that stabbed at their minds.  Silence was never a good sign.

After a few moments of the eerie silence Red spoke up, “It’s getting creepy down here.”  His anxiety was picking up, making him shifty.  He tried to fidget with his hands, but he was too busy carrying Starr.

“Don’t be such a baby, Red, or would you like me to hold you?”  Andrelle laughed at her comment, “I mean Starr’s not even as scarred as you.” 

“Quiet!”  Agent Flaurence stopped in his tracks.  He slowly turned around raising his gun at the dark figure behind them. 

Red jumped with a small yelp and took a few steps behind Joseph.  

The figure stepped into the light. 

His long hair was covered in blood and a scar reached across his face.  Two bullet holes were noticeable in his chest.  He let out a sinister laugh.

“Yerick,” Andrelle snarled as she pulled out her gun.  She turned back and looked at Joseph, “Take the girl and get out of here.  Red and I will cover your escape.”  She normally didn’t take many things seriously.  She lived long enough that most things didn’t bother her as they did mortals.  But any situation involving Yerick, she wouldn’t joke about.  He was a bottom feeder vampire, but luck seemed to always be on his side.  Andrelle wouldn’t let him escape this time.

Agent Flaurence holstered his gun and nodded slightly.  He pulled Starr from Reds arms and whispered to him.  He took off running, the girl in his arms, down the garage, his head turning side to side as he passed numbers on the wall.

“What did he say, Red?”  Andrelle gave a slight look at Red. 

Red rubbed the back of his neck, “He said, don’t go dying.” 

Andrelle sighed, “So inspiring.” 

“Put down your weapon, Andrelle!” Yerick shouted at the female vampire, “Just come quietly and I might not have to kill you.” 

Adrelle let out a mocking laugh, “Did you forget about your recent plastic surgery?  Or did you want some more?  It’s on the house.”  She tilted her head slightly to get a better aim at the vampire.

He raised his gun at her as well, “You know I’m as good of a shot as you, so how about we put down the guns and settle this like the old times. A show of strength, perhaps.”  The vampires’ ancient tradition of settling of disputes in a fight to the death, only using one’s body as a weapon was as old as the vampires themselves.  Andrelle knew it well.  She had lost her father to such a fight.

Yerick set down his gun and held his arms out, “Or are you just as weak as your father.”  He gave a devilish grin as he finished his sentence, knowing that it would spark anger in the woman. 

Andrelle threw her gun to the ground, anger spread over her face, “My father was better than you will ever be Yerick.  Shut your mouth before I rip out your tongue.”

Red stepped back behind a car, “Andrelle, this isn’t a good idea.” 

“Quiet!”  Andrelle snapped at Red.  Her eyes turned pitch black and fangs started to emerge from her mouth.  “My father was the only vampire to care about our kind.  He didn’t try to rule over us all like the clan fathers, but he tried to help us live in peace in the new world.  Your speaking of him taints his name.  Now I will kill you.”

Red was startled by her burst of anger.  “Oh, god.”  He slumped down behind a car, lying on his stomach to watch from beneath it.  It was the only place he could think of staying safe in this fight.

“Come then, Andrelle.  Show me you’re not as weak as that man was.”

Andrelle let out a fierce yell and charged the man.  She leapt into the air and slashed at his face, landing behind him.  She smiled revealing the long, bone white, fangs in her mouth. 

Yerick tuned to face her.  Another cut stretched across his face, adding to the wounds he received earlier in the night.

Yerick laughed and slowly turned to face Andrelle, “You fool.  You’ve been tricked, just like your old man.”  He pulled a pistol from his coat and shot Andrelle in the leg.  She let out a cry of pain and fell to the ground. “His bout with Horus’s cousin was rigged from the beginning.  You think the vampire lords would let such a man defy them and live?”

Yerick walked up the woman and aimed the gun towards her head, “Lucky for you, Horus likes his traitors alive.  When we get back to the lair, he will make an example out of you.”  Yerick bent down to meet her gaze, “And I will enjoy every minute of it.” 

“Good, I wouldn’t want you getting bored now.” Andrelle managed to growl at the man squatting in front of her.  She swung her leg up, kicking the gun from his hand. 

She then pulled her legs up to kick the vampire. 

Yerick pulled his arm back and grabbed her by the throat.  He pulled her from the ground and dangled her in the air for a few moments.  She dangled from his hand, gasping for air.

“Red,” Andrelle was barely able to get the words out as a whisper. 

“Your friend hides under a car watching your demise.  I can smell his fear from here, he smells of a lost puppy, pissing himself.  I don’t need to worry about him.”  Yerick then tossed Andrelle against a car, breaking the windshield, and smashing in the hood.  She slowly tumbled to the ground, letting out moans of pain. 

Red lay quietly beneath the car.  He couldn’t believe Andrelle had lost the fight.  He couldn’t do any better against a man like that.  He was already wiped out from his powers at the dock, as well as in the lobby.  He sweated profusely and fidgeted with his fingers, “I should help her. Come on Red you can do it.  You’re psychic for Christ’s sake.”  

A black car with tinted windows then raced up to Yerick, screeching to a halt before it hit him.  Two more vampires got out and grabbed Andrelle, dragging her body to the trunk of the car.  One of them spoke up, “Come Yerick, let us leave this place before they find us.”  The vampires then got into the car and waved for Yerick to enter.

Yerick stood a second longer, staring at Red.  “You’re not worth the effort, you coward.”  Yerick entered the car and they sped off into the night. 

Red smacked himself with his hand, “Why are you so cowardly, Red?”  He started to shed tears as he pulled himself from out of his hiding place and stood.  He watched Andrelle be taken off to face her demise. 

Red paused and thought of what to do next.  His cowardice had let him down throughout his life.  He tried to be more courageous, more confronting, but something held him back.  “No more!”  Red shouted out into the echoing parking garage.  There was only one choice.

Red glanced at the door of the car next to him.  He pulled on the handle and it opened. 

“You know what you have to do, Red,” he whispered to himself as he climbed inside the car.  He shut the door and focused on the engine for a moment. 

The car started up and he buckled himself in, “I’m coming, Andrelle.  I’m sorry.”

Consider donating to my Patreon to support my work- https://www.patreon.com/DakotaCardinet

0