Chapter 10 – Agent Flaurence
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Did you like this chapter the most out of the novel so far?
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I like the book as a whole Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0

Sam looked down at her phone to see if Mr. Bartlett had any updates.  She had been driving for several hours, only able to look out upon the rural landscape for entertainment.  She passed an occasional house or two on her way, but besides that, the landscape was a bleak affair.  She felt rested at least, with the few hours of sleep she was able to pull off.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper.  She had followed the directions Mr. Bartlett had given her, but she had not yet seen the abandoned truck stop diner that Joseph and Starr would be hiding out in.  It was an odd choice for a safe house, but it was rather inconspicuous.  All in all, she just hoped that Joseph knew how to take care of Starr.  He didn’t strike Sam as the babysitter of the century.

Sam started to get the pins and needles feeling in her body as her thoughts turned darker.  She worried that something might have happened to the two.  She shook her head and looked down to grab her coffee, but something caught her eye. “What the?” 

The sky suddenly turned dark and thunder cracked.  Snow started pouring from the sky in a crazed fury, and soon it engulfed most of Sam’s vision.  She could only see a few feet in front of her as the snow pummeled her car from all sides.  The wind broke on her car like waves crashing on a cliff side.

In a matter of seconds the whole road was completely covered with snow, and the surrounding landscape was a white wasteland. 

Sam slowly came to a stop and grabbed her sweater from the passenger seat.  The cold started to penetrate the car at incredible speeds, “There shouldn’t be any snow here, it’s not even winter yet.”  Her breath visible in the air as it started to fog up her windows.

She stepped out of the car and into the snow covered road.  She looked around to see if there were any signs of what was going on.  Her footsteps sank deep into the snow, reaching up to her knees.  She held her sweater tighter around her, trying to stay warm in the frozen monsoon.

Sam whipped around instantly as a shrill scream came from behind her.  As far as she could see there was nothing around; just wind violently thrashing the snow all about.  Her hair flailed about endlessly in the storm.  Sam pulled her sweater tight and quickly got back in her car. 

She looked in the back seat seeing her duffle bag.  She moved it up to her passenger seat and unzipped it, pulling out her axe for comfort.

Sam slowly stepped on the gas pedal.  Getting stuck in a snowstorm was the least ideal condition she could be in right now.  As she drove, the wind started to blow away the snow in the road, creating a path just wide enough for her car to move through. 

“Finally some luck.”  She went to hit the gas, but the car started moving on its own, slowly at first, but it accelerated faster, and faster.  The wind shifted directions, pushing the car forward at even faster speeds.  Sam slammed on the brake, but the car just started to slide.  She looked down at the road in front of her.  It was covered in thick ice as far as she could see. 

She grabbed her axe with one hand and the door handle with the other.  If she had to, she could jump out into the snow and hopefully she wouldn’t break any bones.  As she readied to jump out, something caught her eye at the front of the car, and a look of horror spread across her face. 

Her car has flying towards a large metal pole.  She instantly buckled up, and braced herself for the sudden impact. 

Sam squeezed her eyes shut as the car suddenly slammed into the pole, instantly shattering her window.  Everything not bolted down flew into the air around Sam.  The airbag burst open, saving her from any real harm.  After a couple of seconds she opened her eyes and looked around.  The car was totaled, but she was fine. 

She grabbed her axe off the floor of the car and stepped out into the frozen abyss.  She looked around, still only able to see a few feet in front of her with the snow still spewing from the sky.  She turned to the large pole she hit and looked up at the sign perched atop it.  “Tim’s Truck Repair and Diner.  I guess I found it.” 

The shrill scream sounded out again, only this time it was louder.  Closer.

Sam dropped to the ground, looking all around her for whatever had made the noise, but still, there was nothing to be seen.  She glanced to her right as she saw a faint light in the distance.  She looked around one more time to make sure she was all clear to move, and then she shot up and sprinted to the light.  Sam could make out what seemed to be the diner’s front entrance, the snow was clouding her vision. 

Sam reached out for the door, and tugged it open. She looked behind her one last time, making sure no one was following her.  The scream she heard wasn’t human, and she wouldn’t be caught outside for it to tear her to pieces.

As she turned to enter the diner, a bright light blinded her.  Sam rubbed her eyes, and opened them to see a diner full of patrons chatting, eating, and drinking their routine coffee. 

Sam stood in shock, “What’s going on here?”  She felt like she was losing her mind, first with the random snowstorm, and now this.

“How can I help you?”  A thin man with a Beatles haircut and a military cap greeted Sam at the door. 

Sam took a step back, “What is this place?” 

The man laughed a little. “The signs right outside ma’am.  Tim’s, that’s me by the way, Truck Repair and Diner.  Best burgers this side of the Mississippi.”  The man held himself tall and proud as he claimed to have the best burgers this side of the Mississippi.  Several of the diner’s patrons cheered in agreement as he did so.

The man’s slight southern accent threw Sam off a bit. “How bought I make you a burger and coffee, eh?  You look a little shook up.” 

Sam nodded, still confused about her situation, but she followed the man to the counter anyway, and sat down. 

Tim walked through a low, swinging door, and moved behind the counter.  He looked over his shoulder at Sam, as he pulled some meat out of a bucket, “So what’s your name anyway?” 

A waiter came and filled Sam’s glass with coffee, “Sam, my name’s Sam.”  She started to settle down a bit and take in what was happening.  Maybe she was in a coma or something from the car crash.

Tim plopped the meat down onto the grill with a sizzle to follow. “What’s the axe for?  You’re not gonna murder us all, are ya?  We don’t need another chainsaw massacre on our hands.”  He laughed to himself finding small enjoyment in his own joke. 

Sam leaned her axe up against the counter and slouched back a bit.  She thought fast to come up with an excuse that sounded somewhat reasonable. “I got in a wreck not too far back. I was using this to try and dig my tires out of the mud.”  It was a slight lie, but Sam didn’t care, she wasn’t sticking around here any longer than she needed too. 

“That explains why you look all banged up.  You alright?”

Sam nodded, and started playing with her coffee mug. 

“Don’t worry ma’am, I’ll get Rufus to tow you out, but for now, all I want you to do is enjoy this burger.”  Tim flipped the burger and grabbed a bun, “Everyone thinks the meat makes the burger, but really, the grill makes the burger.”  Tim stepped back and admired his grill, “Made it myself you know.” 

Sam was unsure of what to say to the man. “Nice grill?” 

Tim smiled and flipped the burger onto the bun, “The key is getting the gas lines all in the right spots.  It keeps the flames from heating just one spot.”  He reached down and pulled open the face plate, “See, got about fifty of them down here.” 

Just as Tim said there was, a slew of pipes all cluttered together under the grill, “The gas bill is a bit high, but it’s the best grill this side of the Mississippi.”  Again, he puffed his chest out and stood tall, followed by the cheers again.  Tim put the face plate back on and took a step back, admiring his grill one more time.  He plated the burger and set it down in front of Sam. 

“Looks like the best burger this side of the Mississippi.”  She let a smile creep into her face.

A smile crept onto Tim’s face as well.  He enjoyed the woman’s remark, “See, now you’re gettin the hang of it.  Enjoy.” 

Tim smiled one last time before he started to fade away into blackness.  Sam looked around her as the warm diner, patrons and all, started to fade the same way.  Before her eyes the diner had degraded past its glory years and everyone had vanished into thin air.

Sam sat in the torn chair of the now dimly lit diner.  She looked back to where Tim had been standing; he was gone, but his grill was still there, a little rusty, but still there in all its glory. 

In front of her lay a plate of rotted food and a cup of black goop, “What is happening to me?” 

She shot out of her seat when she heard a faint sound deeper in the diner.  She grabbed her axe and pulled it upright.  She was supposed to meet Joseph and Starr here.  They should still be around somewhere.

A small sign hung from the ceiling at the end of the diner pointing down a hallway, Restrooms/Garage. 

She heard the sound again and walked closer to the hallway.  Sam gripped her axe tight and peeked around the corner.  The hallway led all the way down to the garage, Sam could see a broken down big rig in the garage, and had two doors on the right wall, labeled restrooms, with a figure of a man on one, and a woman on the other.  Sam took one step into the hallway when the wind outside started to thrash about. 

The door to the diner started to shake violently.  Sam turned to see what was happening, and then the shaking suddenly stopped. 

She relaxed a little, taking a deep breath in, then out.  Maybe she was going crazy.  It happened to people enough in her line of work.

The door then burst open with a large gust of wind.  Ice and snow began swirling around the diner, blowing over chairs, and blowing around old newspapers.  Sam shielded her face from the cold air, managing to get a peek at what had entered the diner.  The snow and ice started to take shape, like pieces to a puzzle, the image started to become clearer. 

An unnaturally large wolf now stood in front of her, the light glistening off its icy fur. Sam could make out objects through its transparent icy body as it let out a low growl, a growl that sounded like icebergs crushing together.

Sam readied her axe to swing.  She wasn’t sure what was in front of her, but it didn’t look like a friendly neighborhood dog.

The wolf let out a loud shrill scream as more ice and snow started flowing in from the doorway outside.  The wolf started to grow larger and larger until it could barely fit in the diner.  Its’ eyes locked onto Sam’s.  A large snarl started to form across its face. 

Sam’s axe was lifted in the air as she patiently waited to strike.  She gulped, and quickly turned down the hallway, sprinting to the garage at the end. 

The ice wolf leapt into the air, turning into a burst of ice and snow, flying through the windy diner, and crashing into the wall behind where Sam had stood seconds earlier.  She turned her head slightly to see what had happened. 

The ice and snow then rematerialized into a long, skinny, flying serpent.  Its large mouth opened up, letting out the shrill screech through its long jagged icy teeth. 

That was enough to keep Sam running.  She made it to the door and yanked it open.  She threw herself past the door, and began to yank it shut as hard as she could. 

The ice serpent was almost on her now, flying through the air at incredible speeds. 

“Come on, come on!”  Sam tugged the door, but the ice around the edge had the door stuck in place. 

She stood in the doorway staring down the beast, “Come and get me!”  She raised her axe high into the air, ready to strike.

The serpent flew straight at her, screaming out again.  Just before its fangs were upon Sam, she stepped to the side, hugging the wall tight. 

The creature flew into the room, crashing into the broke down semi-truck, exploding into a cloud of snow and ice. 

Sam didn’t waste any time on seeing if it had died.  She ran back into the hallway, not looking behind her, she heard another loud shriek, which confirmed her suspicions that the ice creature was still alive.

She passed the first restroom, and stopped as she heard a faint moan and an annoying beeping noise inside.  It was the faint sound she had heard in the diner shortly before.  Not looking behind her, she pushed the restroom door open, and stepped inside. 

The light was dim and flickering.  “Agent Flaurence?” Sam shouted out into the restroom.

The moan was louder now. 

Sam stepped in front of the first stall.  She pushed the door open with her axe, not knowing what to expect. 

The door slowly swung open.  Nothing.

Sam stepped up to the second stall and did the same.

“Joseph!”  Sam bent down to Agent Flaurence.  He was lying in a pool of his own blood, slumped against the toilet. 

His eyes squinted open, “Sam?”  His voice was faint and weak.  Sam checked his pulse, which was also weak, too weak for comfort.  Sam looked down at his stomach.  There were three bullet holes and a lot of blood.  She went to press down to stop the bleeding.

“No, don’t bother, Sam.  I’m gone anyway.”  Joseph faintly shooed her with his hand.

Sam hesitantly pulled back not sure what to do, “What happened here?  Where’s Starr?” 

Joseph coughed up some blood, and composed himself as best as he could. “They took her, and left me for dead.  Three shots to the chest, and I’m still alive.”  He chuckled a bit.

Sam leaned forward to hear his voice, “Who did?  I thought this was a safe house.  You were supposed to just hide here.” 

Joseph cut her off before she could finish, “The vamps were waiting for us.  They got Starr.”  He winced in pain as he said her name. “I let her down Sam.”  Joseph moved his arm in front of his body.  He had Sam’s jacket that she gave Starr at the restaurant. “It came off when they took her, and it has been beeping like crazy.” 

Sam grabbed her jacket, and reached inside her pocket.  The scanner that Eddie had given her was giving off beeps sporadically. 

“It’s an ice spirit,” Sam whispered to herself as she put the jacket on.  A bit of good news did not make her feel better.  Her friend was about to die, and she was helpless to do anything.  She should have left the restaurant immediately to save Starr.  This didn’t make any sense.  This was the safe house that Mr. Bartlett had sent them to.

Agent Flaurence coughed a bit more, “Save her for me.” Sam nodded. “And once all this is over,” Joseph reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. “Give this to my son.  I never got to see him since they left me.  I guess I never will.” 

Sam nodded somberly, and put the envelope in her pocket.  She stood up, and stared down at her comrade and friend, “Don’t worry Joseph, I’ll take care of everything.  Just make your peace.”  She started to wipe her eyes.  She didn’t want the man to see her cry.

Agent Flaurence forced a smile with all his effort, and with his last breath he spoke out to Sam. “Sam…make sure you kill every last vampire son of a bitch.  For me.” 

Sam nodded to the man as he let out a final sigh and slumped to the floor. 

Sam rubbed her eyes and took a deep breath.  The death of Agent Flaurence was undignified.  He lay slumped against a toilet in some trashy bathroom.  He didn’t deserve such a death.  He didn’t deserve his family leaving him.  Life just seemed to beat down on the man, and now it was over for him.  Sam turned away and started to cry.

Sam couldn’t cry now, there was too much at stake, she had to get out of here, and save Starr, avenge her friend’s death, and, kill every last son of a bitch vampire. 

Sam gripped her axe tight, wiped her tears, and held out her scanner.  Her sorrow was turning to anger.  There was still a monster outside, in the diner, and she was going to kill it, like she had to every other creature that got in her way.  The Targeter Mark II was silent for now, but she knew now that she was dealing with an ice spirit. 

Her axe wouldn’t be able to hit it, so she would have to kill it with fire. “Where am I going to get fire?  Everything’s frozen…” 

Sam stopped and stared at the bland restroom wall, “You’ve got to be kidding me.”  She remembered just several moments ago, the man with the military cap, Tim, and his world famous grill.

“I love you Tim.” Sam walked over to Joseph’s body, and pulled his handgun from beneath his waist.  Joseph didn’t even have time to pull his gun.  He was just slaughtered like a pig. Sam took one last look at her fallen friend, and gritted her teeth.  She would find out who betrayed him.  She tucked the gun into her pants and walked up to the door.  

The scanner was still silent.  She creaked open the door, and peeked into the hallway.  There was no ice spirit, or shrill screams.  She stepped out, and began walking to the diner. 

When she got to the end of the hallway, she looked out into the diner.  The door was wide open, and snow was drifting in. 

“All clear.”  But she spoke too soon. 

The loud scream came from behind her, and she looked into garage.  The ice spirit was looking right at her, and began flying towards her, fangs drawn. 

Sam quickly ran behind the diner counter, and dove down next to the grill.  She only had a few moments, so this would have to be quick.  She pulled off the hatch like Tim had shown her, and started pulling as many gas lines out of their sockets as she could, aiming them up over the counter. 

She had only gotten several pipes pulled when loud beeping started sounding off in her pocket.  The Targeter Mark II was doing its job wonderfully, and if Sam got out of here alive, she would let Eddie know he was a genius.

A cold wind blew down the back of her neck as she slowly turned to see a large icy wolf standing on the counter above her.  Her hair started standing on end as the goose bumps spread throughout her body.  She slowly reached for the gun tucked in her pants. 

The wolf’s large fangs were flashing in the faint light as it started to growl, ice dripping from its mouth, shattering upon the floor as the beast salivated over its victim. 

Sam quickly hit the switch for the grill, the sound of gas flowing into the air filled Sam’s ears.  She pulled up her gun, and squeezed the trigger, launching a bullet followed by a large spew of flames.  

The ice spirit was soon engulfed in the inferno, letting out its shrill screech, louder than ever, more agonizing by the minute.

Sam dropped the gun, and quickly crawled to her feet.  She ran as fast as she could out of the door just before a large explosion sounded off behind her, shattering all the windows left on the diner, engulfing the old building in flames. 

Sam slumped to the ground, panting like a dog, watching the fire work its unchecked carnage on the diner. 

Something inside the fire caught Sam’s eye. It looked as if a man were standing inside. 

Sam’s eyebrows furrowed with agitation, but they were quickly replaced with surprise. 

The flames took the image of a man with a military cap and a Beatle’s haircut.  The man walked up to Sam, the snow melting beneath each footstep.  He knelt down to her level and smiled, bright flames revealing themselves where his teeth should be. “What did I tell ya? Best grill this side of the Mississippi.”  Tim winked at her.

Sam scoffed at herself as Tim then evaporated before her eyes.  The snow all around started to melt at an incredible speed, seeping into the ground below.  Sam stood, and looked at the building.  It was the coffin of Agent Flaurence.  She paused for a second before moving on, “Rest in peace Joseph.” 

She slung her axe over her shoulder, and started walking down the road.

Consider donating to my Patreon to support my work- https://www.patreon.com/DakotaCardinet

0