Chapter 13 – The Plan
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
How do you like the book so far?
  • Great Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chop off your fingers Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0

Sam looked into the bathroom from her seat on the bed.  Brockly had a towel around his waist and was shaving the scruff from his face.  His hips held the towel in place but not by much.  He had kept his body in great shape while in prison.  He had several scars around his back and chest, no doubt from all the missions he had completed for the Institute.

She turned to Eddie, who was looking out of the motel window. “So what happened to him anyway?  You guys were all part of the institute, and then years later everything changed.” 

Eddie kept staring out of the window, “He was supposed to take out a target. It was his mission.”  He turned to Sam. “But he couldn’t do it.  It gave Breaburn the best excuse to get rid of him.  Since he was friends with B, Breaburn couldn’t stand him.” 

The two turned to the motel room door, reaching for their weapons as it opened. 

Mr. Bartlett walked through and furrowed his eyebrows at the two patrons of the bedroom, “You couldn’t if you tried.”  He turned and locked the door behind him. 

Sam started her conversation up again. “Why couldn’t he do it?” 

Eddie was about to speak, but was cut off by Mr. Bartlett, “A woman, what else?”  Mr. Bartlett took a seat in a chair across form the beds, “You can’t kill what you love.” Mr. Bartlett smiled at Sam, making her turn away slightly and blush.  “Brockly loved his target, so he let her run away.  He’s been looking for her ever since.” 

Eddie pulled his shotgun out of its case and started to dissemble it, “How’d you get kicked out, B? I heard you threw a punch at old Breaburn himself, but what really happened.” 

Mr. Bartlett crossed his legs and leaned back.  “Breaburn and I used to be quite a duo back in the day.  He used some dirty tactics, but I was fine working with him.  Until the liaison position became available.  The Boss didn’t think I was cut to be top man, so he gave it to Breaburn.  Ever since then, he opposed me no matter what I did.  Whatever I did, whatever methods I used, whoever I recruited,” he glanced at Sam, “He opposed everything.  So I gave up my spot so someone with promise could save the world.  Maybe change the Institute for the better.” 

Eddie nodded and started to run a rag over his gun parts, “I see. I never liked the guy anyway, kind of a douche, if you ask me.” 

Sam chuckled, “It seems that you all have problems with the Institute.”  She stood and stretched, “From what I’ve seen, you’re the best we’ve got.”  She twirled her axe a bit in the air, “You think Breaburn’s going to fire us, we haven’t reported in for a while.  Seems kind of strange he hasn’t tried to contact us yet.  I don’t like it.” 

The door opened again, and Red walked in on a trio of weapons in his face, “Chill out guys.”  He held his hands up while they lowered their weapons.  He held a plastic bag full of beverages.  He tossed drinks to everyone, setting Brockly’s on a table.  He looked at Sam, “I don’t think getting fired would be a bad idea.  We’d all live longer.” 

Sam scoffed in agreement and twirled her axe again, gasping as it stopped in midair. 

She turned to see Brockly holding it in place, he smiled, “How do I look?”  His face was cleanly shaved and his hair neatly done.  His black suit brought a presence of sophistication to his look.  He stood upright with all the formality of a prince.  He looked like he did on the first night she met him.

“Good,” Sam quickly jerked the axe away and sat back on the bed. 

Brockly grabbed his drink off the table and pointed to Red, “So, you the psychic then?” 

Red nodded and began to drink his water. 

Brockly stared hard, “Hate psychics.” 

Red started to cough up water. 

Mr. Bartlett shook his head then stood, “Brockly, his names Red, he knows where the vampire’s lair is.  So cut him some slack.” 

“Vamps?”  Brockly leaned up against the wall, “This will be fun.” 

Eddie started reassembling his gun, “So what’s the plan?  Sam said there are friendlies, a vampire, and a girl that we need to save, but that’s about all I know.”

“We have to save a vampire in the middle of a vampire lair?  Doesn’t seem like a solid plan.”  Brockly chugged down his coffee.

Red spoke up, “I would like to find Andrelle. It was my fault she was captured in the first place.  I’ll take care of her so the rest of you can focus on Starr.” 

Everyone nodded in agreement.

“Looks like we have Prince Charming over here,” Brockly pointed at Red.  “Good for you.  Any man who looks after his lady is alright by me, even if he is a psychic.”

Red’s face turned bright red, putting Rudolph to shame.

Sam looked at Eddie and back to Brockly, “Starr is the girl.  We think she’s an alien, but she looks like a human.”  Sam broke the awkward tension.  Brockly stood silent for a few seconds, taking in the information.  “Anyway, she would be highly guarded, if not hidden away.  We need to act fast.” 

Mr. Bartlett grabbed his cane, “Which is what the rest of us will be worrying about.  We don’t know why the vampires want her, but they do, badly.  So be ready for anything.  There are only five of us against a whole vampire lair, so act fast, and act deadly.” 

Sam looked at Red, “She saved us at the warehouse, so it’s our turn to save her.” 

Mr. Bartlett gestured to Brockly, “Let’s get the cars ready.  I’ll fill you in on the rest.” 

The two men in suits left the room, shutting the door behind them. 

Eddie loaded his shotgun and cocked it, “Now that the party poopers are gone, I have some gifts for you guys.”  He pulled a small suitcase out from under the bed. 

Several small round blue objects filled the case. “UV grenades, or ultra violet grenades, if you will,” he pulled one out and handed it to Sam.  “Lethal only to vamps, but don’t look at it when it goes off, or you’ll go blind.  Kind of a side effect, but hey, it beats death.”  He laughed nervously when finishing his sentence. 

Sam tossed it from hand to hand, “You field test these yet?” 

The grenade stopped in midair, and floated over to Red’s hand.  He started turning it about, inspecting it.

Eddie was a bit fascinated by the psychic, but snapped back to Sam, “That’s why I brought them along.”  He took a few out and clipped them to his belt.  He looked Sam in the eyes, “Just watch your back out there.” 

Sam nodded, “And you watch yours, man, you’ll be right there with me.” 

A large smile spread across Eddie’s face, “There’s more to this baby than meets the eye,” he grabbed his shotgun and patted it a few times. “I like to go out with a boom.” 

Several honks came from outside the window. 

Red grabbed his things and walked over to the door. “Is it safe to fight a vampire lair at night?”  He opened the door and looked at the darkening sky.  Twilight had taken to the sky, and soon, darkness would rule once more.

Sam shrugged. Eddie spoke up, “They let their guards down at night, and they think they are safe until the sun comes up.  They will underestimate us, big time.” 

Sam shot up and grabbed her axe, “Their mistake.”  She pushed past Red and walked out to the car, smiling at Mr. Bartlett as she entered. 

Eddie grabbed the last of his gear and joined Red at the door.  Eddie held out his hand for Red and they shook, “Let’s just hope we last through the night.” 

Red nodded in agreement.  They both stood there for a second in awkward silence, and then they both headed off to the cars.

Consider donating to my Patreon to support my work- https://www.patreon.com/DakotaCardinet

0