Chapter 7: The True Source
8 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the black line within the Forest of Exiled.

"Enos, as I said, I think I am right."

"Let's... Let's continue for a while. If... we still didn't find anything, then that's when we will go out."

Its been two days since the two started to explore the place beyond the black line, but no matter how they search for food or place, not a single one was found.

"Catto, look! Look over there! That's... That's a cave!"

Catto look over and saw a humongous Black and White Cave.

The cave looks lonely within the forest as no trees nor living things surround it except for the dried grass.

It's as if the cave was the lone survivor after an apocalypse and strongly stands up among the sea of dead bodies.

"That's a strange cave."

"Don't be like that, Catto. We have no choice but to enter that, okay?"

"What? I'm... I.. I think.. I'm good. How ab--about I just wait for you here?"

"Catto, are.. you scared?"

"What?! No.. I'm.. the former king, so why.. would I be scared over just a cave?!"

"Then let's enter it together."

"But.. I'm really fine here outside.. waiting for you."

"Why? You really scared?"

"I said I'm not scared! I.. I just think it's.. dangerous."

"Oh, so you're not scared but a coward."

"What did you say?! Enos, I'm the former king of our clan, I have fought with numerous foes, so who do you call a coward?!"

"You. You're a coward when it comes to unknown things."

"Dam... Fine! Let's go together."

"That's right. If we didn't find anything else inside it, then that's the time we leave this place."

"Ok."

The two then enter the black and white cave.

It was as if the two enter a new world, as the moment they put their step inside, the whole place has suddenly change.

An almost galaxy-like background and a gigantic black tree with no leaves greet the two.

"Woah! This.. this is so beautiful!" 

"It's magnificent."

The two were overwhelmed by the enchanting charm of the tree.

"Enos.. look. There's a strange fruit over there!"

"Ah, it's a lot. I wonder how did that tree able to bear fruit without any food or sunlight."

"Maybe it just eats energy or aura."

"Eh.. that's possible. That's maybe the reason why this place is devoid of energy."

"This.. this tree is a legendary.. one! I'm sure of it! If what you said is indeed true, then it's a powerful item. We can make a good weapon out of that tree."

"I don't think that's possible."

"Why?! Are you looking down on me?"

"No.. I just said that if you still have your power, then that would be just easy-peasy for you."

"Um... You're right! I.. I am now.. a.. mortal."

"Don't be so down. What's wrong with being a mortal? As long as we are still alive, then there's nothing impossible that we can't do."

"You're right."

"Well, on second thought, there's indeed nothing wrong with what you had said. What if you try breaking a branch first?"

"Ah.. well how about you do it?"

"Am I the one who suggested it?"

"Well, I take back my words."

"Eh? A king has no resoluteness?"

"Enos, I'm a former not currently."

"Well, you're such a schemer."

"You're the one who's a schemer. You make me go inside as well so that if bad things happen, you would sacrifice me, right?"

"Catto, how.. could you think of me like that? I didn't dare do that, you know."

"Then, why don't you pick a fruit over that tree first?"

"Then, how about a bet?"

"Let's hear it then."

"If I manage to pick a fruit without getting myself any harm, I would be picking all the fruit over that tree and you'll be the one who breaks a branch, but if that tree is indeed dangerous, then you can run and leave me alone to die, how about that?"

"You sure about your bet? Aren't I the one who will benefit the most?"

"Well, it's fine, so what do you say?"

"Fine. I agree."

"Okay, then."

Enos grinned secretly before walking towards the tree and picking the lowest fruit.

A round fruit weighed down Enos' hand, feeling squishy and tickling. It looks like a tangerine except for the seed in the center with coiling shape.

Enos wait for something to happen, and as just he expected, nothing happened.

"Catto looks like I win."

"Enos, you.. you're a swindler! You knew nothing would happen from the very start."

"Eh? I don't have any prediction skills. You.. you're overestimating me again, Catto. But whatever you say, a loss is a loss, right?"

"Fine. I will go now and get some branches, happy?"

"Yeah. And if you can make a sword, then that would be better."

"Okay, fine."

Enos didn't bother Catto anymore and just pick the remaining 13 fruits.

Looking at Catto who's still immersed in sculpting a sword with its paw, Enos couldn't wait and take a bite at the first fruit and was instantly captured by its sweetness and sourness. The sweet and sour juice was perfectly blended while some crunchiness add the thrill to eating it.

Enos didn't notice that he had eaten all the fruit in an instant and forgot to share some with Catto.

"Catto.. I'm.. I'm sorry."

"Why? Did you do... Don't tell me you eat all of it?"

"I'm.. I'm sorry, Catto. I just.. took a small.. small bite, but when I look, they're already gone."

"Enos, don't take me for a child who would believe such a terrible lie."

"Let me just compensate it with other things, is that fine?"

"Then, what do you have?"

"This. I.. somehow manage to find it somewhere."

"Oh, that's an omiviolet fruit!"

"Is that what it's called?"

"Yeah. It's an immortal ingredient with strong effectiveness in recovering strength, but it can be eaten by mortals, though the only thing it could do is to satiate their hunger for five days."

"Then is it fine for you?"

"Eh? Do you take my word seriously? I was just joking, you don't need to feel so sorry. In fact, I thought that was part of the bet so I already expected it."

"So you don't want it?"

"Well, if... you insist.. then I would have no choice.."

"Fine. Since you don't want then I just.."

"Enos, why are you so impatient? You didn't even let me finish my word."

"Why are you snatching my fruit?"

"You give it to me, so I just naturally and gladly accept it."

"But you said you didn't want."

"I.. I was just.."

"Hahaha! Just joking."

"If I just have my powers, I would have killed you... Enos.. what's.. what's wrong with you?"

"I.. I'm jus.. blurghh..."

"Enos! What's happening to you?! You're vomiting blood!"

"I'm.. just... blurghh..."

"Damn it! As I thought! That fruit is indeed a poison! What.. what do I do!"

Enos start to vomit blood non-stop, and it got even worse as time passed. Catto was now desperate and anxious and can't properly think of a way.

"Enos.. hang in there, got it! Don't.. don't you dare close your eyes!"

"We promise to leave this cave together, so don't back down, okay?!"

Even with Catto's warning and pleas, Enos seems to be deaf by the overwhelming pain he was feeling right now.

His blood was boiling with scorching heat, while his inside was deforming itself, bringing endless pain and despair to Enos.

The pain even shook the soul of Enos and was already at Death's door.

Enos wasn't able to withstand such pain and finally give in and closed his eyes.

"No! Enos... Enos!!! Woke up! Woke up!!"

Catto yelled Enos' name and tried to wake the latter, but no matter what... Enos remains lifelessly laying on the ground.

"Damn it! Enos... you leave me behind! As I finally thought.. I.. can have.. someone.. I can lean on.. nor be together with.. you.. you just die and leave me behind! Is.. is that the reason.. why.. why do you eat all of them?! You.. you.. also knew it's poisonous and end up saving my life?!"

"How.. could you! You're so selfish! I.. I would never forgive you! Please come back to life and say sorry to me!"

"You still didn't see the sword I sculpted, so please stop pretending and just woke up already!"

"Damn you! You're so selfish! You.. you didn't even ask me what would I feel for sacrificing yourself before doing it."

"I'll never forgive you!"

Catto continues for a while but also gives up as he finds that it's already impossible since he can't sense any pulse from the other anymore.

"Fine! I.. I promise you that I would never waste your sacrifice. You.. sacrifice yourself for me... So I.. I would live myself and tell... You about your parents. That's the least I can do, Enos."

"Thank you.. for saving me!"

Catto, who felt emotional and strong guilt unexpectedly able to acquire a Special Skill (Guilt Embodiment) of Archangel of Hope, Phanuel.

Catto didn't bat an eye though and just pick the sword he had sculpted and quietly leave the cave.

2