Chapter 1: Crisis in the Office
201 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome to the Kirt Enterprise. So Steve, tell me why you should be selected for the job?” Asked the manager. 

 

"Well even though I don't have any powers, I am hard-working and will even work after hours," Steve answered. His voice sounded tense.

 

"Do you have any experience working with power potions?" Asked the manager.

 

"I don't have any experience with them, But I would be glad to learn," Steve answered. 

 

"You are lucky Steve, even though you don't have any experience in this field of work, We are understaffed so we would love for you to join the team."  Said the manager.

 

"Thank you very much, When should I start?" Steve replied. His voice sounded eager.

 

" We would love it if you could get started by next Tuesday." The manager replied.

 

*After Steve’s interview* 

 

“I can’t believe it, I was able to get a job. After six months I did it. I can’t wait to tell my mom.” Steve thought 

 

*Steve rides his bike back to his house*

 

“I am home,” Said Steve.

 

“Welcome back son, How did the interview go? ” Steve’s Mom asked.

 

“You won’t believe it, I got the job. I will start by next Tuesday.”

 

“That’s great, I am so proud of you. You should hurry and tell your sister.” The mom says. She hugs Steve while saying it.

 

Steve walks to his sister’s room and knocks on the door.

 

“Hey sis, I got a surprise for you,” Steve says. With an excited voice.

 

“Welcome back bro, did you say surprise!?” The Sister says with an excited voice.

 

“What is it? Is it chocolate cake? I love chocolate cake, please tell me it’s chocolate cake” The sister says with an excited voice.

 

“Sorry not cake, But your bro finally got a job,” Steve says excitedly.

 

“No way congrats bro, Took you a while but you finally did it.” Says the sister with a surprised yet thankful voice.

 

“Thanks, sis, anyways you are supposed to be asleep by now it's getting late,” Says Steve in a concerned tone.

 

“Yea yea I get it, goodnight bro.” Says the sister with an annoyed voice.

 

*Tuesday comes*

 

“Alright I am going now, bye mom, bye sis,” Steve says with a nervous voice.

 

“Bye son, Good luck with work,” The mom says with a happy voice.

 

“Bye bro, good luck on work and you better bring me a chocolate cake this time,” says the sister with a smile that shines so bright it could be comparable to a star.

 

“ Alright I will be sure to bring it,” says Steve while chuckling.

 

Steve rides his bike to go to work, When Steve arrives at work.  He is given his first task to clean the broken power potions. 

After Steve finishes cleaning the manager calls Steve to his office.

Steve walks over to the office and opens the door.

 

“Hello manager, you called me?” Asked Steve.

 

“Call me John, you saying manager makes me weird.” Said, John.

 

“Oh okay,” Said Steve

 

“Alrighty let’s get to the reason I called you here. So for you to start working with power potions you will have to learn about the history of them. It all started on May fourth in the year 2,180 in the USA. A Super Villain called ‘Overseer’ started wreaking havoc; he was a narcissist and powerful villain capable of destroying a star. Then a hero appeared and killed The Overseer bringing peace for the next couple of months. Then humans started to get random powers and their strength grew massively. Some can destroy a city to some able to destroy an entire solar system. But not all humans got power only about 50% of humans got powers. That’s why the Kirt Enterprise started to create power potions so the world can be fair. Any questions?” Said, John.

 

“I have an important question: how do we know we are not selling potions to villains? And can’t everyone that has a superpower drink the potion to get a new power?” Asked Steve

 

“Those are some good questions. Firstly we don’t know if we are selling it to villains or not. That’s also part of making the world fair. And the power potion doesn’t work on humans that already have power.” Said, John.

 

“Can I get a power potion?” Asked Steve. With an excited voice.

 

“No, power potions are expensive and cost around 1 million dollars.” Said, John.

 

“Okay,” Said Steve with a sad voice.

 

“Even though you are already 21 and normally humans awaken at the age of 12. There have been cases of humans awakening after their thirties.” Said John trying to cheer up Steve.

 

“Really, That’s good, at least I’ll get a power one day.” Said Steve excitedly.

 

“We drifted off track. Let’s get back to talking about power potions, shall we? So now that you know about the history and how it works. Tomorrow you can start working as a lab assistant.” Said, John. Then John waved goodbye to Steve.

 

‘That was crazy, I didn’t know power potions cost so much. I won’t be able to get a superpower now.’ Steve thought. 

 

After Steve gets home, He says hello to his mom and his sister. He forgot the chocolate cake for his sister. So she got upset and shut herself in her room.

 

The next day Steve rides his bike to work. And starts to work as a lab assistant.

 

“So, do you know what power you put in the potions?” Steve asked his coworker.

 

“No, the power potion is random. No one has any clue what power you get after you drink it. You just hope for the best.” Says Steve’s coworker.

 

A siren alarm starts going off. Steve freaks out and hides under the machine. 

 

“Calm down, this building is built to withstand a grenade,” John yells to Steve. 

 

“Okay, but why is the siren going off?” Asked Steve.

 

“It’s a villain causing some trouble in the area you have nothing to worry about.” Says John.

 

“But, will my family be safe?” Asked Steve. His voice sounded worried.

 

“There are heroes in the area you have nothi-

 

An explosion happens right below John's feet. Exploding John into hundreds of thousands of pieces. The explosion knocked Steve back onto the machine. Multiple explosions continue to occur in the building. Parts of the building started falling. One hits Steve in the head and knocks him out.

 

“Si- Sir, are you awake?” Asked a nurse. She rushed and called a doctor.

 

‘Where am I? Why can’t I move? My whole body hurts like hell. What are these things connected to me?’

 

“Brother” Steve hears a high-pitched crying voice yell.

 

“I thought you died. Never do that again”  Steve’s sister said while crying.

 

“I understand your concerns about your brother. Sweetie, could you please leave so I can talk to your brother.” Said the doctor. With a gentle voice.

 

“Where is my mom?” Steve asked. With a worried voice.

 

“I am sorry, Steve, your mother. She has sadly passed away.” The doctor says with a sad voice.

 

Steve’s body starts glowing. Thunderclouds start forming. Lightning strikes the hospital. Steve’s sister sneaks in and hugs Steve. 

 

“Don’t worry brother, I am here for you.” Says the sister while sobbing. 

 

The lightning stops and the weather is back to being sunny. Steve hugs his sister back while crying.

 

The doctor has a shocked face. Your sister looks down.

 

“ Oh my god, nooooo way!” The sister yells.

 

“What is it?” Steve asks, confused.

 

“Your legs are there!” The sister yells.

 

“Yea, no shit,” Steve says.

 

“That’s what I was also going to tell you, Your legs had been crushed but you somehow survived.” The doctor says in disbelief.

 

“Wait what?! Did I lose anything else?” Steve asks worriedly.

 

“No, you didn’t but we thought you were going to die from blood loss. Since you had no powers.” Said the doctor confused at what happened.

 

“I can tell you what happened,” Said a man wearing a black tuxedo with a white shirt underneath. He also had a top hat with a white ribbon in the middle. With black jeans. His shoes were Oxford shoes. 

 

“Who are you?” Asked the sister.

 

“I am-

 

Before the man could finish his sentence he got cut off by Steve.

 

“It’s the the A-Class Hero ‘Game Master’!”

Says Steve with an excited voice.

 

“So you know me?” Game Master asks. 

 

“Of course, I am a huge fan,” Steve answered. His eyes glowed like a puppy while nodding his head.

 

“Well anyway let me tell you what happened. So the day you were working an A-Class Villain ‘Food Man’ deceived your manager ‘John’ into letting him unclog the toilet. But food man secretly planted bombs on the building. Once he exploded the bombs. Heroes were called to stop the madman. But he escaped and started killing people in a shopping mall near your house. I placed my ‘World Board’ and found this out. So I placed my chess queen in front of him to stall time. Then I placed the ‘Golden Dragon’ behind him and the dragon bit his head off.” Explained the Game Master.

 

“Was that the guy that killed my mom!?!” Asked Steve angrily.

 

"I believe so, I am sorry for your loss." Said The Game Master. With a sad voice.

 

"I will help with the cost of the funeral," said the Game Master.

 

"Thank you." Said, Steve and his sister.

 

"I will explain what happened to you after the funeral."

 

After one week the funeral day had come. Steve and his sister were very sad. Steve inherited the house. Whilst his sister inherited the money. While Steve was crying an old man spoke to steve.

 

"Hello, little one I know you are very sad right now. But you have to cheer up. Your mom would not want you to get dragged back by your own guilt" The old man gives Steve a ring. 

 

"This ring should protect you in a time of need. You should keep this close to you." Said the old man. In a kind voice.

 

Steve puts on the ring. The ring reminds him of his mom's touch. It felt like she was whispering in his ear 'you can do it. Do it for me.' After the funeral, The Game Master picked up Steve and his sister and brought them to their home.

 

"You guys sleep well and don't forget to eat, Steve tomorrow we will talk about what happened." Said the Game Master. With a reluctant voice.

 

"Alright, I will see you tomorrow Game Master." Said Steve. In a sad voice. While waving goodbye to the Game Master. With his fake smile. 

 

"You heard what he said sis, let's eat." Said, Steve in a voice that sounded empty. 

 

"Yes, we should, how about we eat an apple pie. It was mom's favorite." Said the sister. her voice sounded sweet as an apple pie.

 

"Good thing is that I know how to make it." Said, Steve trying to cheer up his sister.

 

Steve made the apple pie that came burning hot straight out of the oven. While the apple pie was their dinner. It also reminded the siblings that their mom would always be there with them. 

 

The next day, Steve wakes up to a knock on the door. He gets up, brushes his teeth, and puts some clothes on. 

 

"Steve, are you awake?" A man yells.

 

Steve looks through the peephole of the door. He sees that the man yelling was none other than the Game Master. Steve unlocks the door and then opens it.

 

"Hey, Game Master, good morning." Said steve

 

"Morning, Steve, so I would like to tell you what happened to your body." Said the Game Master. In a tone, one could describe it as elegant.

 

Steve and the Game Master walked to the sofa and sat down.

 

"So let's start where we left off, shall we. So when the building collapsed. So did all the shelves holding power potions. When your legs got crushed, I came up with a theory that the power potions mixed making a new potion. Which I call the strengthened power potion. Which gives you two powers instead of just one." Explained the Game Master. His voice sounded excited and eager. 

 

"Does that mean I have powers? How come I can't feel it?" Asked Steve. With an excited but confused voice.

 

"Yes, you do have powers now. You can't feel it yet but I will teach you." Said the Game Master.

 

"No way, I have powers. You are not pulling a prank on me are you." Said Steve. With a voice that resembled a detective.

 

"I am not pulling a prank. Now I will show you how to see what power you have." Said the Game Master.

 

"Now follow my steps." Said the Game Master.

 

Steve nods his head. 

 

"Take a deep breath, close your eyes, you might be able to see one or two words." Said the Game Master. His voice sounded like a slow river.

 

"I can't see it," Said Steve.  His voice sounded angry.

 

"That's okay, That means that the first method is not good for you. Let's try the second method." Calmly said the Game Master. 

 

"Okay, I am ready." Said steve. His voice sounded so excited that the Game Master's ears could burst.

 

"Sit in a criss-cross position, put your hands together like you are praying, close your eyes, make your mind empty and listen."

 

"Manipulate Electricity, Manipulate Fire." A voice whispered. The voice sounded like a 16 y/o boy.

4