CH12: Nobles And Curses
71 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as the wait was up, we heard a knock at the door. I sensed 5 presences, but they were weaker together than Samson or Swarm’s hive. So even if they were monsters, I didn’t think they would be much trouble even if there were 5 of them.

 

“What are you waiting for? Some of us are hungry?” Samson said, and I jumped off the barrel.

 

I wasn’t sure if the pot was big enough to handle the dragon catfish. My thoughts of the guests at the door were quickly forgotten as my stomach gurgled. I hadn’t eaten since the spit-roasted boar the night before. I reached for another roll, but Samson swatted my hand away.

 

“You can’t have any more until dinner is ready. We have some guests go greet them at the door. If they get, rowdy Swarm will back you up.” I nodded slowly and backed away from the garlic and cheesy goodness of the rolls. Samson didn’t take his eyes off me until I left the room.

 

Usually, a bit of sunlight was enough, but I hadn’t been outside long enough. Ariel wasn’t far off; drool leaked from her mouth as she looked between the dragon catfish and me. Clearly, she wasn’t picky about which one of us she would rather eat first. I pulled a fish out of my inventory and tossed it to her. Ariel gave me teary eyes before gulping the fish down.

 

Her sharp teeth worked like a thousand knives dicing the fish into bits faster than she could push it into her mouth. Bones and all fell before her teeth before she swallowed the tail. “That was a good snack.”

 

Obelisk looked up from his book as I made my way through the 1st-floor rooms. “Something smells good in the kitchen. I always thought Samson would make some rich man a great wife.” Obelisk chuckled at his own joke. “Speaking of food, you should take all the pills you have while you can. When your stats reach a certain level, they’ll be useless to you. While nobles will always buy them, they can only empower you once in your life.”

 

“Why are you so worried about me?”

 

“You’re a member of the team. If you’re not at your best, you’ll die like the others. Adventuring parties traditionally have 5 members. Has Swarm told you about the curse of the 5th member?”

 

Obelisk liked to mess with people and was obsessed with tragedies. Still, he was stronger than me, so I couldn’t just ignore him. There was always a chance he could share a nugget of wisdom with me about getting stronger, even if he didn’t mean to.

 

“We’ve had 12 fifth members since we started our party. Each of them met a grizzly end worse than the last. Whether by the hands of the dungeons or our personal enemies, none last. All of them were stronger, more talented, and better liked than you. You are an experiment between Swarm and Samson to see if they can break the curse by training our fifth member. If I were you, I would flee up the hill before it’s too late.”

 

Peace flowed into me through Nirvana. “What are you talking about? I saw what could be called the final triumph of your tale. If anyone is about to die, you. What else is there for you to accomplish?”

 

Obelisk nodded. “If that were the case, I would truly be a goner. But after this little dungeon excursion, I plan to make my debut as a dark lord. I will bring tragedy as I spread my dark influence throughout the known world. Heroes will ensure my tale continues as they attempt to end it.”

 

“You are one crazy bastard. I was joking about tales. Is what you're saying real.”

 

Obelisk snorted. “Karma is a force that influences every user connected to the grand system. You can only get ahead of it by finding new ways to push your life. Those who die are the ones who ensure their final page is written with no hope of a sequel.”

 

Another knock rang out through the cabin, and I shook my head. “I’m going to see to our guests.

 

“They qualify to be here more than you, but don’t let that intimidate you. One of us could wipe them out with little effort.”

 

“I know,” I said.

 

Obelisk raised an eyebrow. “Do you? You’re so snappy; I thought you forgot your place.”

 

Ariel spoke up once we were out of earshot. “I don’t like the spider; she won’t stop looking at you.” In the far corner of the room, the drider clung to the wall and stared at me.”

 

“What do you want me to do about her?”

 

“Bring her to the point of death and tame her. Even if she vanishes if she leaves this, you’ll be stronger before that happens.”

 

“What brought this on?”

 

“I’m lonely.” I blinked and stared at the mermaid.

 

“Really,”

 

“Of course not, but you need to strengthen yourself. You have me, and you surrounded yourself with adventurers who can kill you with a single blow. I thought he would destroy you the entire time you spoke with that crazy pale bastard. If you had hundreds of monsters under your control, that wouldn’t happen.”

 

I thought about what Ariel said, and she was right. Taming more monsters would increase my power. But I felt that the power was choosier than she realized. Not just anyone could be added, and while the drider wasn’t a no, I didn’t want her if she would just vanish. So once I had money, there was a familiar shop I would visit on my way to the Ultra Skyward Heavens Revolving sect.

 

I opened the door to the outside under Swarm’s supervision with that idea in mind. In front of me were four powerful individuals and a noble-born boy dressed in golden armor. Long locks of pristine hair smelted from an ore found in celestial mines where even immortals toiled for the gods must have been spun and planted on his head. A slight blue aura gathered around his body, making his sky-blue eyes glow with heavenly light while his party prepared for battle. Compared to the other men, his power might as well be a spark in a rainstorm. But, even compared to my own power, he wasn’t much.

 

“Disgusting creature, this truly is a nightmare to see a common-born peasant in an A-rank dungeon of all places. Men slay the beast and fetch his drops for me. On the double, his face offends me.” The princely noble turned his attention to Ariel. “Don’t harm the beauty; she’ll make a fine wife and a finer lover bear heirs to Tyranus, the future emperor.” The teen said and struck a pose.

 

One of the men smirked and then moved to fulfill the orders. “Excuse me, but if you attack my party member, I will have no choice but to dispose of you.”

 

Tyranus, the future emperor, froze as power oozed out of Swarm. The sounds of thousands of flapping wings beat just beneath her skin. In moments she would release wasps capable of burrowing into the bodies of the noble’s guards and planting parasitic eggs. But, even if they worked together, I could back her up. My strength was still relevant in such a battle.

 

The noble’s face turned beet red as his men fell to their knees before Swarm. “What is the meaning of this? She’s one woman?”

 

“Please forgive our lord; he knows not what he says. You are Swarm, one of the strongest adventurers in the empire. We are big fans of your battle against the dread demons in the barbarian campaign to the north. It's my little girl’s favorite story; she wants to grow up to be a powerful adventurer like you.”

 

“Oh, how flattering, but your charge doesn’t think so.”

 

“Pay him no mind; his father hired us to prepare him for the Ultra Skyward Dragon Sect.”

 

Swarm’s eyes lit up. “I’ve heard great things about that sect. Red, why don’t you try joining that one instead of whatever place you were planning to go.” 

 

I blinked; the name sounded familiar, but I was set on the Ultra Underworld Dragon Sect. “Is it a good one?”

 

“The best in the city, even one as large as Loon. You could do worse than learn there even if Samson wants you to find an old master.”

 

“Oh lord Samson is here as well. Is that where the heavenly smell is coming from?” One of the guards asked.

 

“Stop ignoring me and tell me what’s going on.”

 

One of the guards took pity on the noble. “We have stumbled upon living legends in the adventuring world. They are members of the party of Sol’s Hand. Don’t bother bullying the boy, young lord; he’s their fifth member. Karma has already decided that he will have a horrible fate.”

 

The noble nodded his head and looked at me with pity in his eyes. “I’m sorry, to be the fifth member of Sol’s Hand is an honor but a curse. Forgive my rudeness before, and let Luan bless you in the next life.”

 

I opened my mouth and closed it. “I’m not dying here.”

 

One of the guards shook his head. “We should hurry and introduce ourselves to the rest of the party.” 

 

Swarm nodded. “Of course, I’m sure Samson has made more than enough food for everyone.”

2