CH14: Karmic Destiny
111 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Five horses moped around one of the rooms on the first floor. Piles of green manure fell wherever the horses pleased as a groom worked to keep it all in a corner. The boy hadn’t been invited to the table, and I suspected he was a slave or a villein to the noble. He worked hard to care for the horses, even in a nightmarish place like the cabin's first floor. Shadows laughed occasionally, and the boy turned around only to see nothing. I gathered my aura and the shadows receded.

 

“Thank you, my lord. I feel better now.”

 

Ariel moved in close and whispered in my ear. “This boy stinks of a powerful Karmic destiny. Be careful, or we’ll be swallowed into it. Either in this life or the next, he will become something great like a king or a hero.”  

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Pardon my lord, but the oppressive feeling is gone.” The boy said.

 

“That’s good to hear, but I wasn’t talking to you, and I’m not a lord. My father was a mercenary until he settled down and became a free man. So unless I become ennobled either by buying a title or earning it from a higher lord, I am a free man.”

 

“Pardon again, my lord, but that isn’t true. Anyone who can stand shoulder to shoulder with Samson or Swarm can’t be just a free man.”

 

“You’re braver than I am. I hesitate to say things I know or make things right I know are wrong. Majorian assigned your master and his party to fish during the day.” I heard his stomach growl at my words and frowned at the interruption.

 

The young boy blushed red which stood out against his pale skin. There was something odd about him that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. He didn’t look right, and I imagined he might have had a little blood from another race. His long blonde hair covered his ears, and his frame was thin as a reed. Under his oversized clothing, he was probably skin and bones.

 

I approached him. “You’re hungry,” I said.

 

He bowed his head. “I’m sorry, my lord.”

 

“Why haven’t you eaten? The horses could have waited, and there was plenty of food?”

 

“They are my responsibility, and if you think they could have waited, you don’t know my master.” I pulled out a plate and some utensils from my bag and handed them to the boy. “I’m unworthy.”

 

I raised an eyebrow. “Who decided that? The food was mine to give. It’s barely been any time since I came down here, but it feels like I’ve experienced years. By the time I finish this quest with the party, it will feel like I’ve spent centuries in this place. I’m dreading the next 9 days here because I know I’ll be transformed again. If I leave, I know I’ll regret it.” The boy quickly wolfed down the plate.

 

“That was good. My lord, I can only give you the same advice my father would give me. Stop being a dumb bitch and do what the young lord says. I don’t care if he wants you to get on your knees and suck off the horses. We need their money, or do you want your sister to starve.”

 

“You’re a woman.” She raised an eyebrow and licked the plate clean. Her green eyes seemed to stare through me.

 

“We don’t get a choice in how we’re born, our lot in life, or who we work for. My master isn’t the best or the worst.” 

 

My mind froze, and I grabbed her shoulders. “Has Tyrannus forced you to touch him in odd places or put things in your mouth?”

 

She gave me a stern look. “If master had, I wouldn’t refuse. This job helps my family.” I sucked in a breath and let it out.

 

“I suggest you come up with an excuse to stay in here while they fish. Being close to the blood river isn’t good for your health.” 

 

“This place isn’t any safer.”

 

I closed my eyes and decided. “I’ll look after you as much as I can.”

 

Ariel spoke up. “The more contact you have with her, the more her karma will draw you in. She has a powerful destiny, and even this dungeon would have a hard time snuffing her out.”

 

She gave me a look of utter contempt. “You can’t even look after yourself. No one can save me; there are no heroes in this world.”

 

Had she already drawn me in? I didn’t even know my name, and already I wanted to protect her. Was it instinct the karma Ariel had spoken of, or was I attracted to tomboys? She was a little young for me, and I didn’t know her name. Not to mention people with powerful destinies rarely lived happy lives. Then again, being drawn into her karmic orbit might be the only way to survive the curse of the fifth member. It was something to think about, so I put just enough mystery into my next words and decided to withhold information.

 

“Tyrannus will not be your master forever.”

 

She snorted. “We all die eventually. I’m sure he’ll take my sister into his care next.”

 

I shook my head. “What happened to the, my lord nonsense?”

 

“That’s for people who deserve my respect. Fakers who act like they can save me don’t deserve it.”  She said.

 

I walked over to the sturdy-looking black boss mare who could have been a first-floor boss in an E-rank dungeon. Of course, those were nearly the weakest dungeons possible, but even that was powerful for a bred horse. Most adventurers, besides the rare monster tamers or those who chose mounts as familiars, walked, ran, or in rare cases, flew.

 

The mare brushed her nose against my palm before licking my hand like a dog. She sniffed my face before whinnying at the top of her lungs. I shook my head and rubbed her jaw as the horse tried her best to throw herself into my lap.

 

“I was hoping for peace and quiet, but I can’t even get that.” The horse threw her hoofs up and leaped off the ground into my arms. I was about a sixth of her size, but she didn’t weigh much. After anchoring myself to the ground, I caught her easy enough. One of her hooves knocked me in the face as I adjusted while she shimmied her back to get comfortable.

 

The other horses were trotting closer, ready to take their terms in my arms if I didn’t stop them. It was a problem of mine, and my increased charisma worsened. I thought my increased control would have made a difference, but I guessed wrong.

 

“I don’t think my master could do that; you must have focused solely on strength.” She said.

 

Slowly I sat the boss mare on the ground, and she rolled over on her hooves and stood back up before prancing around like she owned the place.

 

“It doesn’t take much strength to lift a horse. They weigh less than a hat to me now.” I shook my head as the horse nibbled at my shirt. “What’s your name?”

 

The girl frowned. “If you want to sleep with me, you’ll have to talk to my master. I don’t do things for free.”

 

“That’s not what I wanted.” 

 

She gave me a look like I was not only a liar but a terrible one. “Then why did you feed me?”

 

I squatted down until we were at eye level. “You were hungry.”

 

Her eyes hardened, and her face went scarlet. “I’m property, thank you for feeding me, but we have no business with each other.”

 

“I will talk to you again tomorrow. Don’t go outside if you want to live.”

 

I walked towards the exit and saw where Samson leaned against a wall with his eyes closed. “Obelisk made sure that only the party heard your conversation. I would say that you should thank him, but he has his own motive to help you. Was that your attempt to proposition her?”

 

My heart hammered in my chest. “No, I thought she was a boy at first and just wanted to help. I don’t have many friends my own age in Loon.” I said.

 

Samson smirked. “Define not many.”

 

“None; I even broke ties with my best friend before coming here because he hooked up with the girl I liked. I want to train. We’ve barely been here a day, but it feels like it’s been forever since I practiced my aura manipulation.”

 

My semi mentor frowned and crossed his arms to his chest. “Your suffering from power leveling sickness. You gained what should have been a decade of training in a day. Even your body hasn’t had time to adapt to your stats.” Samson shook his head. “I would buy you a few hours with the girl if that’s what you wanted.”

 

“No, I don’t want to have sex with her.”

 

“Are you gay?” Samson asked.

 

“No, I like women, but she’s so young.”

 

Samson sighed, exasperated by my words. “She is 13; Tyrannus probably tried her out at 11 before giving her to his friends.” My eyes widened, and Samson raised his hand. “Maybe I’m wrong, and she’s still a maiden. It doesn’t matter; she’s not a person; she’s the property and a celt barbarian from Gol or Britannia. Pass the Dragon Roost Mountain range, and you’ll see thousands like her. Go East from here across the hordes of the Hun, beyond the Draccon lands, through the great empire of winter kings, and you will find lands with women truly like no others.”

 

I rolled my eyes at the man. “You could say the same if you went south across the sea to the wild continent.”

 

“I’m sorry to say, but there may be a size issue on your end. With your experience, you would be better off trying to please the last lady you had in your arms.” Samson wiggled his eyebrows and smirked at me.

 

“Forget training I’m going to sleep.”

 

“Good, tomorrow we’re going to fight our way through the second floor. That’s where the nightmares live that killed past adventurers who stayed here.”

2