Chapter 1 (unedited)
47 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I threw myself off of my bed, hitting the floor with a hard thud while clutching my neck and gasping for air. Adrenaline was flowing through my veins and the gears in my head were turning, trying to make sense of what had just happened. I look around, my dark green eyes shifting from left to right. I scanned the area, my pupils darting around the room.

Huh...? Wait what...?

That's right. Around me were old worn white walls, a sturdy steel door, a surprisingly clean sink, and a very nice toilet. It was my room. How did I even get back here? I closed my eyes and breathed a sigh of relief. I'm not dead! I'm alive! I placed my hands on my face, giggling manically to myself. Have I finally gone insane? I stood up, walking over and running my hands across the surface of the painted walls. I jumped onto the sorry excuse for a bed and slowed down my breathing. I am... back? Was I saved? I opened my eyes and placed my hands on the rugged sheets, grasping them firmly. I blinked a couple of times, rubbing them which caused them to tear up. I even pinched my arm. This can't be a dream! It feels too real... I didn't die? Before I could contemplate my situation further, I hear the sound of heavy footsteps. I jolt up from the bed in a panic, standing up and facing the door. Who is that? Are they coming in here? The loud beeping sound was heard before the door clicked and opened. There stood two men clad in body armour, wielding two fully automatic weapons. I stared at them before the guard to the left began speaking.

"Hey, you. You're up. We've got some work for you. So do me a favour and step on of your cell."

With no hesitation, I walked towards the guards and stepped out of my room. A brightly lit hallway greeted me, littered with many other steel doors that I assumed were also 'cells'. I had already been informed that I was not the only lab rat here. I began to think of all the other people who are going through the same thing as me. How many cells are there? There were way too many to count. After looking around, the same guard looked at me and spoke.

"What are you looking all stupid for? There is nothing here for you. Now keep quiet and follow me. Oh, also, we're authorized to... uh... dispose of any disobedient test subjects. I would recommend not doing anything else stupid."

Duly noted. I stepped behind the guard as he turned around and began to walk forward. The other guard got behind me and 'suggested' my cooperation with a shove. I shuffled forward, regaining my balance while inwardly cursing at the rude guard. I followed the first guard's suggestion, keeping my head straight and not looking around too much. There were other guards that we passed by, staring me down as I passed by them. Some even laughed at me. My mind was in shambles as I tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for my sudden revival. I was sure I had died from the horrifying statue they had introduced me to. I was still alive and now heading back to its room, with no hope that it will be happy for a new visitor. My thinking was interrupted by an announcement that came from a speaker somewhere.

"Attention, Dr. Maynard. Report to administration's office immediately."

Dr. Maynard...? That name sounds somewhat familiar. There are many things at this time that I cannot provide a reasonable conclusion for. I assumed I had some sort of memory loss, maybe even the breaking of my already fragile sanity! If this is actually proceeding how I think this is proceeding... Then won't I die soon? I need to formulate a plan quickly... As I thought to myself, the guards started conversing.,,

"So... Have you seen any good movies lately? I heard Morbius was pretty good." - Guard 1

"Oh, uh... I don't really watch movies. Not really my thing." -Guard 2

"Ah ok, understandable. What about novels? Read any of those? Now that I say that, maybe I should write a novel about this place." - Guard 1

"What? Why would you do that? Would they even allow you to do that? No!" - Guard 2

"I don't know. Just seems like something that would be cool. No need to get so loud." - Guard 1

"You know, now that you mention it... I was planning on writ-" - Guard 2

"Bro...? Look, I've kinda lost all interest in this conversation. Let's just escort this D-Class to the testing site." - Guard 1

As they conversed amongst one another, I began creating a plan in my head. We eventually came into a hallway, which seemed to split into two separate paths. We took the left pathway and came across a triplet of scientists conversing amongst each other. There was another poor soul being taken away by some other guards as well. I whispered them a silent prayer in my head as we finally made it to our destination. We stepped into what seemed to be a proxy room and the door was closed behind us. I gathered my thoughts and took a good look around, searching for any advantage in the upcoming catastrophe. Cameras were placed along the wall along with some bulletins that seemed to hold important notices. I made sure to remember that so I could look at them later. There was a monitor by the door that was turned off, along with a small camera right above it. It seems that there is a video feed showing both sides of the door, preventing unwanted exits. I turned to look at the guard and he spoke while rustling for something on his person.

"Well! We are, in fact, here if you did not realize this already. Continue from here and follow all instructions and you'll probably be fine. Oh, and yeah, take this while you are at it."

The guard pulls a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket, extending his hand and offering it to me. I take it from his hands and he walks towards the door. It opens for him and he steps through it, not looking back even once. What an asshole. I look over the paper, trying to gain as much information as I possibly could in order to maintain my... mortality. 

Item #: SCP - 173

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Item SCP-173 is to be kept in a locked container at all times. When personnel must enter SCP-173's container, no fewer than 3 may enter at any time and the door is to be relocked behind them. At all times, two persons must maintain direct eye contact with SCP-173 until all personnel have vacated and relocked the container.

Description: Moved to Site-19 1993. Origin is as of yet unknown. It is constructed from concrete and rebar with traces of Krylon brand spray paint. SCP-173 is animate and extremely hostile. The object cannot move while within a direct line of sight. Line of sight must not be broken at any time with SCP-173. Personnel assigned to enter container are instructed to alert one another before blinking. Object is reported to attack by snapping the neck at the base of the skull, or by strangulation. In the event of an attack, personnel are to observe Class 4 hazardous object containment procedures.

Personnel report sounds of scraping stone originating from within the container when no one is present inside. This is considered normal, and any change in this behaviour should be reported to the acting HMCL supervisor on duty.

The reddish brown substance on the floor is a combination of feces and blood. Origin of these materials is unknown. The enclosure must be cleaned on a bi-weekly basis.

So this statue's main weakness is a direct line of sight. If I can maintain eye contact with the SCP, then I should be able to trap it until I can get far enough away from it. Got it. I crumple up the document, shoving it into my pocket for future use. I gather all my courage and...

step inside.

woah
  • woah Votes: 2 40.0%
  • woah Votes: 3 60.0%
Total voters: 5
6