[LIGHT] C003 – Intensity and gradient.
26 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we walk deeper into the forest, it feels like there isn't any life except for the small insects and animals. A few times I spot small birds flitting in the branches above but otherwise there's no sign of any creatures other than ourselves walking along. I keep an eye on the members of the party, what herbs they gather for trading and which ones they pick to chew on as they walk past. Taking a leaf out of their book quite literally, I pluck a few leaves of one of the plants they have been collecting to chew. It tastes bitter, not too bad but definitely bitter enough to leave a sour taste in my mouth after swallowing it down.

Our progress slows as we reach the edge of a large lake, marking our boundary between wilderness and civilisation for now. As we continue towards a settlement we pass by a group of men on horseback riding towards us at a rapid pace.

I quickly scan over them and identify a mix of humans, half-orcs, and mountain dwarves riding a sort of horse down the road in heavy armour. Some kind of frontline fighters? The riders wear helmets, carrying spears, swords and axes while wearing chainmail under their padded vests and cloaks. Each rider has an additional weapon strapped to their back in addition to whatever else they are carrying.

They pass by in a hurry as we stay on the side of the path to allow them quick passage. The road takes us north towards a city they call Vlens. Hadrian spends part of the walk explaining the city, as well as rules and other things. The fact they have been keeping me in the center of their formation makes me slightly cautious of the group still. Trust isn't built easily, especially with strangers. They have no reason to be helping me for free as far as I can tell. Still, I can't complain. My only option is to find another group to join and if they turn me away I'll end up in a tough spot.

"This is Vlens," Hadrian explains as we walk into the small town, "It's a city established years ago as a go-between for the southern wall and the capital. There's a chain of cities leading south from here to other areas. There are plenty of places here for merchants and traders to buy goods and sell things from, plus there are many workshops here as well as many different kinds of jobs for adventurers."

My eyes roam across the city, seeing small wooden houses with thatched roofs nestled between huge warehouses filled with goods and buildings constructed from stone blocks.

"Where are we headed?" I ask him quietly as we approach a large building covered by banners hanging from its walls.

"The city guard headquarters," he replies calmly, "We're supposed to check in here with some guardsman from the city."

"Do I have to register?" I ask him curiously, "Or can I just say I'm new in the city?"

"You need to register." He says simply as we approach a set of double doors guarded by two guardsmen in full armour, one man standing beside them with a spear in his hand and one standing behind them with a sword drawn but held casually across his chest.

The guardsmen step forward as we approach, "State your business sir." One asks, looking at me while the other stands still staring at Hadrian, who seems to recognise one of them.

"Oh hey, I know you! You were part of the group we fought alongside against the enemy in the ruins!" The one standing still exclaims suddenly, turning towards Hadrian. He looks at me and nods his head once before returning his attention to Hadrian.

"Yep that's right, I did fight with him." Hadrian replies confidently, "I'd like to register our friend here at the guard post. She is from an isolationist tribe. Not sure if you guys have encountered any like her but she is a bit out of place here."

The guard turns back towards me, "What tribe are you from?" He asks, glancing at me as I try to avoid his gaze and keep quiet.

I shake my head as I look down at my feet, unable to meet his eyes. The guard frowns as he stares at me, then motions towards Hadrian, "How do you know this woman then?"

"She's a mage." He replies quietly with a small smirk, "She helped our group in our exploration near where she came from."

I look up at him again with wide eyes as I realise he is speaking about me as if I am part of their team or something.

He nods, "Very well, come inside with us. We will see what we can do for you. Follow me." He orders, gesturing towards the doors with his spear.

As soon as we enter the building it becomes apparent that this isn't a regular guard station, but a military outpost, built for security of the road passing north/south through the town. Several soldiers stand around the lobby waiting for us as we walk inside and towards a desk with four people sitting behind it. Two male human soldiers, a female orc and a female human sitting behind it, the two males standing on either side of it.

Gotta love getting ill when I was planning to backlog chapters

4