[LIGHT] C008 – We follow like Alice, diving down the hole.
14 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hadrian chuckles and pats me on the shoulder, "At least we won't starve. And maybe we'll discover some useful tools or relics."

My eyes widen in surprise, "Really?! That's all you have to say about a possible nuke? Isn't it going to cause major environmental damage?!"

Looking a bit confused he looks at the others who have arrived at the clearing who share the same confusion on their face so I try to explain. "Look, nuclear bombs are nasty stuff. If used properly they can change the course of history. However, if they aren't detonated correctly or if they detonate prematurely they can kill millions. Or worse, destroy the world entirely."

They all glance at one another uncomfortably, unsure how to respond. Eventually Hadrian speaks up, "So why would someone build such a weapon near us?"

"This type are usually flown around and dropped. I have no clue why it hasn't decimated the area, even up to the place you found me in fact. On the bright side it has only been slowly killing the wildlife nearby, rather than completely decimation your nation." I pause briefly before continuing, "But it means we have to dig deeper to find whatever it is hidden under the soil. Which also means we will need shelter soon."

As always the others seem eager and willing to assist, so we decide to split into teams to work faster. With the extra manpower we quickly uncover a number of items which I gather together as fast as I can. After several hours of searching we finally stumble upon what I believe to be a large storage unit, judging by the size and shape. The worst part of it all? The fact there seem to be 15 similar bombs, my bionics starting to audibly beep due to proximity to radiation causing a bit of confusion from Hadrian as he walks over to investigate.

"Is it supposed to sound like that?" He asks, glancing around warily.

Rolling my eyes I reply, "Probably because it's trying to warn me about the danger. I know my limits and my magic can work as a hazmat. Just try to not get too close because you aren't protected by my magic like I am."

Grabbing a piece of wood from the pile of firewood the group is collecting a distance off, I use it to prop open the door as much as possible. Inside I find stacks and piles of crates and containers, each filled with different kinds of supplies. All irradiated heavily but this weapon cache might be something extremely useful. As long as we can survive the trip home.

After inspecting the contents and taking note of where certain things are stored I begin stacking boxes of ammunition next to the exit, starting to keep a count of the weapons. Most of the weapons seem to be in sealed cases, marked with a familiar seal, requiring an ID my biochip can provide, revealing a few of the top end guns my nation started producing close to the collapse.

The bright side is that due to biometrics, none of these weapons can be fired without proper bionics and authorisation. The downside is now I have to question how guns fit into the world I've found myself in. Considering the natives I've met so far, guns are a bit too advanced in tech level.

Leaving the container I pull Hadrian aside for questioning, "Before I give you any information concerning what we just found, I require proper truthful answers from you. As a representative and champion of my god Sune, I formally request permission to use a spell for lie detection between us. You may choose whether to allow it or deny it but denying it will get you no answers to this container and I am then required to destroy the contents at the expense of nature and the surroundings."

Thinking for a moment, he nods slowly before saying, "Go ahead. But please don't hurt me."

Walking forward I hold out my right hand as it begins glowing faintly blue. When it reaches its full glow I release mana through my fingertips, forming a cube of energy above my palm. Faint circles of runes fly around in a close orbit, the sun overhead casting a 3D shadow in its place as the divine spell warps reality around it. Theorised that divine spells are 4D constructs that gods have given their followers but makes it impossible to research or develop them further.

A glowing blue thread joins itself between us as the spell completes and surrounds the both of us. After a moment a connection that feels like the pull of gravity on my brain starts being directed at Hadrian. "While we are connected by this magic, neither of us are able to lie without the other recognising this. To confirm the effect please repeat after me, "I have never breathed."

I can see his eyes widen slightly as I finish the sentence, so he definitely felt the effect of the spell reporting that lie, he follows up with the same sentence, my senses sharpen as the spell triggers its effect, indicating a lie.

"Now we have confirmed the effectiveness of the spell, I will state that not every option after this will result in the cache being destroyed. I just have no intentions from a military standpoint to sell anything to a collector, assumed based on the current culture for this era. In addition, know that millions have died in the past to the weapons I'm talking about and with the weapons in that cache it would be super easy to take over numerous towns with hostile intent."

He looks a bit stunned, realising that due to the spell I can't be lying. His gaze turns towards the sky as he mutters quietly, "You're serious…"

"Unfortunately yes," I answer honestly, "Just remember that you were warned."

Moving closer to him I speak up again, "I need to know some things from you, for the safety of your nation and my own. Do you have access to any ranged weapons that don't rely on kinetic force? Like bows or crossbows?"

"Crossbows? We do have those!"

I nod, "Good. Anything else? Are you aware of how to make explosives? Gunpowder or guncotton perhaps?"

"Guncotton? No, I haven't heard of that substance."

"Okay good! Now I want you to think carefully before answering. If there was a weapon that didn't rely on physical strength, meaning a child or toddler could use it to the same effectiveness against a target, provided they aimed properly. How much would that destabilize this world?"

There is silence for a moment before he responds, "It would completely destroy entire nations if there was a weapon like that available to children."

"Exactly," I reply smiling, "Which leads me to ask, You have no such thing as machining? I've seen mills and watermills about the place, for grinding flour. Are there any methods or developments regarding those types of tech?"

Another pause followed by a longer response, "Machines that don't rely on physical strength? Yes, we had developed machines like that many years ago, mostly for agriculture. Unfortunately most of them fell apart within months of operation. So a lot of people still rely on animal ploughs. I think I recall a dwarf trying to do something with magic but runes are a lost art so we have no way of keeping a magical effect active without a spellcaster maintaining it."

Nodding, I reply, "Well, if everyone is fine with it, we are keeping these weapons so I have them to use. They are biometrically locked and removing it without damaging the weapon isn't worth the time and risk of damaging them just to try and let each of you be able to use them. Not to mention limited ammo supply. What do you think?"

"Fine, but we'll have to figure out something to store the bullets somewhere since we can't carry them all I hope you don't mind letting the others have a go with the tools to show them this biometic-metric? lock you are talking about. It seems very interesting."

Lightly smiling at him I reply, "Not to worry. I have very deep pockets."

3