Chapter 2 – The Death of Me
113 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Displayed on the screen was the page of the web novel I made a few years back.

=======================

Title: From A Zero Nobody to a Hero Everyman

Synopsis: No one thought that Max Hutton, a seemingly nobody who was raised in the countryside by his farmer parents, would discover his insane potential as a Maven. Join Max as he battles evil villains and demons as he slowly becomes a Hero everyman!

Ratings: 3.4 stars

Tags: [Action], [Adventure], [Fantasy], [Definitely Lighthearted], …

=======================

There it is; honestly, I wrote it on a whim during the first few months of my retirement since I had nothing else to do.

'From A Zero Nobody to a Hero Everyman' is a real masterpiece of a title, don't you think? What's more is the synopsis, which is so beautifully done that Stephen King would have to change his name to Stephen Sink because I rose to take his place.

It had the usual Hero versus Demon Lord fantasy trope that I usually see in those animes. You know, where morality was simply dyed in black and white.

'Max Hutton was thought to be just an ordinary nobody from the countryside until he learned of his great potential as a magic user, then he used his powers to defeat the Demon Lord, becoming a Hero along the way,' was what I was thinking back then. It was actually based off of a nonsensical dream I had back then too.

Alright, I lied. It's not actually based off of it. The written story is exactly what I dreamed of back then. As I said earlier, I had nothing else to do, so I just decided to go with it.

And the ratings… yeah, we don't talk about that.

.
.
.

Actually, let's do talk about that.

=======================

Comments:

BillLight (1 star): What the absolute #### is this?! Light-hearted my ###! Are you a ####### sadist???

NotASpam (5 stars): Love this! I love how the protagonist did this and did that in those chapters! Definitely worth a read, but only after you read '###############.'

Katern (3 stars): Tags WERE not misleading, but over time they did. Oh, yes, and… are you a ####### sadist author??! Why torture Max like this???! He deserves better!!!

Stilllookingforthatmilk (5 stars): expexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexpexp

Madehay (5 stars): I dunno about yow peeps but I ######################### lovin' this work!!!! All who says othawize r haterrz, yo! Haterzz gonna hatez!!!

DramaGnome (2 stars): Upstairs is probably a white knight or maybe even the author himself, as no one would love this sort of ####. Admittedly, it started nice, but it went to a gruesome dark turn since the war arc.

Wizas (2 stars): @DramaGnome is right!!! True True TruE

=======================

The reviews were pretty much mixed, but they were mostly negative. But guess what? I intended for that to happen.

I have made the worst web novel they have ever read, and I'm pretty proud of it, I must say.

It's somewhat exhilarating since I was always praised as a genius all my life. Even when I purposefully acted wrongly, they would unreasonably justify it.

However, make no mistake, I am no masochist. It's just a change of pace from what I usually experience.

However…

"Madehay, huh," I muttered. Honestly, the main reason why it went from incredible to not-so-incredible, as some readers had said, was because I got bored of writing.

I wasn't into writing in the first place, anyway. However, readers at the time wanted me to continue the story no matter what.

Of course, I had every right to not continue it since it was done on a whim, but I just couldn't.

However, I wasn't that motivated to continue writing in a way that only appealed to the readers, so I began writing things according to my mood. I used cliches and predictable tropes, but still, many praised it. So, I wrote some depressing things there, which pushed pretty much 99.9% of readers off the edge.

And Madehay was one of the remaining 0.1 percent. He (or she) absolutely loved it regardless of what I wrote. He would endlessly praise it as if I had laid a golden egg. It's honestly nerve-wracking, but it's not like I hate him or anything. I just think that it's too much, even for me.

I wrote hundreds of chapters until I truly got bored of writing altogether and stopped writing. Because of my indefinite 'hiatus,' Madehay has become aggressive and told, well, it's really more like demand, me to continue my work and finish it.

It was initially entertaining to see a reader desperately seek my attention to finish the novel, like a fish on the land jumping and squirming around for water, but it soon became annoying.

However, I didn't do anything excessive or unreasonable since not only does it not bother me much, but I'm also the bigger person here. So, I simply blocked the user from accessing any porn sites, including the animated ones, 'hentai' as they call it.

Once again, although his antics don't bother me much, I do find them annoying to my routine. Me banning him from those sites is already lenient enough, considering the things that I can actually do if I so desire.

However, seeing him persistent for the end, even after years of my hiatus, reluctantly made me continue it, albeit I don't put much thought into it anymore.

After years of aimlessly writing it, I decided to end it all today, no matter what.

I quickly typed down the outline of the chapter and reviewed it a few times before creating the final draft.

Roughly an hour had passed, and the chapter was finished. Although I do admit that the ending was rushed, I couldn't care less about it anymore, but I did give my best to make it somewhat satisfying.

After stretching my back, I returned to my web novel's page and published the final chapter. Not even a minute had passed before a comment from a familiar user appeared.

=======================

Comments:

Madehay: NO! NO! NO! NO! How can you do this??! It's not done yet!!! That definitely isn't the ending. Author! FIX THIS!!!

=======================

Who would've thought that the reader who would support the web novel through thick and thin would lose himself over the last chapter?

Although it's not a great ending, I did put some thought into it so that it won't be disappointing. Hmph, it seems like some people don't appreciate my thoughtful act.

However, I do not care. What he thinks about it is now completely irrelevant to me.

And, boy, does it feel good.

I stood up from my desk, stretched, and then looked at the clock, which read that it was a quarter to nine.

My stomach growled understandably. Rubbing my belly, I said, "FRIDAY, get me the usual for breakfast."

I was about to walk out of my office until I realized that FRIDAY didn't answer, and because of that, I immediately knew something was wrong. FRIDAY, though unreasonable and annoying at times, would always answer with the appropriate remarks. After all, it is in her code, and the fact that she didn't answer me back would mean that she can't answer because either she's busy being updated, which I haven't scheduled now or in the near future, or… she's offline.

To confirm it, I went back to my computer and opened the status of FRIDAY, and sure enough, it stated that she'd been offline for a while now.

Shit. How can I be so stupid? She hasn't checked up on me or delivered news since her conversation with him, which means that my house has been—

-Shatter! Clank! Clank! Clank!

Before I could continue with my thoughts, a canister went through the window, shattering it to pieces, and bounced on the floor a few times before stopping a couple of feet away from me.

Focusing closely on it, I realized that… it was a grenade.

I quickly flipped over a desk, but the grenade exploded before I could take cover behind it.

-BOOOOM!

The blast of the explosion pushed me away a few meters back. My vision blurred, my mind hazy, and my ears ringing, yet all I could think of was...

"That was a weapon I manufactured…'

The designs were exactly the same as those I had manufactured at that time and what's more, my business's trademark logo was there, which meant someone from the military had supplied my weapons to whoever attacked my house. And whoever that person is, they're most probably the one who instigated the attack since not anyone can simply deactivate FRIDAY.

I shook my head and looked back at where the grenade used to be, which had destroyed and burned anything within four meters of its vicinity.

However, I knew that it wouldn't end with just that, so I hastily went to a specific corner and placed my hand against the wall. Gaps suddenly appeared as blue light shined through and swept over my hand. Then the light disappeared as the wall opened, revealing the hidden compartment in case of emergencies like this.

Inside it was a handgun, ammunition, and… a special yoyo.

I grabbed the yoyo and loaded the handgun before quickly going to an undamaged computer to reactivate FRIDAY since most of the protocols can only be activated through FRIDAY.

I was able to commence the reactivation process, but it'll take time. As I was waiting, I called 911 and locked down the house to buy time.

—Thud!

A single footstep came from across the room, and I knew my time was up; the intruder was here.

I reached for my gun, but—

—Bang!

"Aargh!" I felt a painful, stinging sensation in my left arm as blood slowly leaked and trickled down.

Behind me was a figure wholly covered in black clothes, except for the eyes.

The figure slowly removed the cloth covering his head, revealing a disfigured face of a man. He slowly said, "Arthur Bennett, we finally meet again!"

Panting heavily with my other arm pressed on the bleeding wound, I tried to recall who this person was for him to say that we'd met again, but I don't remember meeting someone this hideous. No wonder why he covers his head…

I can't afford to be laid back right now.

Taking a deep breath, I grabbed the yoyo instead and started playing with it. Then, without stopping, I looked him in the eye and asked, "Who the hell are you?"

Regardless of who he is, it wouldn't change the fact that he's tried to kill me. But I'm at a disadvantage with my wound, so I need to find an opening.

He seemed bothered about me playing with the yoyo, not because he found it suspicious but more likely because he thought I was taking him lightly, yet he opened his mouth nonetheless.

"…You may not remember me, but I remember you," he stated. Then, caressing his disfigured face, he continued, "All too well."

Him saying it like that made me shiver in disgust. However, I can't act rashly. "Hoh? Is that so? Are you a fan?"

"You could say that. I was a huge fan of your previous works," he simply said. "In fact, I've experienced your works first-hand."

Previous works? Was it… my weapons? I started swinging the yoyo even faster.

However, that doesn't explain anything.

As I racked my brain for an answer, he looked at me with an amused expression, giving me an odd, disturbing feeling. "24th of December, 2026. Do you remember?"

My hand stopped as I stared him dead in the eye.

Seeing my expression, he grinned heavily. "Hahaha! Of course, you do! It was when you lost everything! HAHAHAHA!"

"I don't think I have to tell you who I am now, do I?"

That's right… it was the day I lost everything because of my irresponsibility and impudence.

It was disguised as an unfortunate accident, but only I, a few selected trusted officials, and the individuals involved knew what truly transpired.

"HAHAHA! Because of that, you went for my brothers and killed them all! You may not remember who you killed that day, but I could never forget the person who gave me this!" he bellowed as he clawed his face with a maniacal look.

I said nothing but continued looking at him. However, I started playing with the yoyo again, with a fast, skillful movement.

If he's a part of that group, then I can't let him off, no matter what!

He has obviously noticed my actions, and, just like before, he's annoyed at me for playing it.

"Can you"—he stretched his necked, then aimed the gun at me—"stop that?"

"Eii!" The moment he aimed it, I proceeded to skillfully swing the yoyo towards his face in full force, smashing it.

The yoyo detached from the string and split into pieces, but that was intended.

The moment it detached, I immediately looked away.

What makes this yoyo special is the fact it was a—

—Bang!

Miniature yet powerful flashbang.

"Aargh! My eyes!" the man bellowed as he unsteadily took several steps back. "Motherfucker!"

I grabbed my gun, aimed it at him, and pulled the trigger. However, the injury on my left arm prevented me from having a steady aim.

The bullet went through his left abdomen, and as if by reflex, he shot accurately toward my right abdomen.

"Fuck!" I groaned in pain as I fell to the floor, clutching my wound, which only made the pain worse.

'How much time left?' I looked towards the progress bar on the computer, and there was still a bit of time left before her reactivation.

"You son of a bitch!" His eyes recovered from the after-effects of the flashbang, and he was beyond pissed.

I aimed the gun at him with my other hand, but my aim with it was even worse, yet I still pulled the trigger.

Shot after shot, bullet casings popped out of the gun as I fired at him, but none of them hit him.

"God, I'm old!" I cursed under my breath as the man finally recovered and walked towards me menacingly.

He reached toward me, pulled me up by my neck, and punched my stomach at full force.

I went down on my knees, clutching my stomach, but the man proceeded to kick me in the face.

I instinctively held up both my arms to cover my face, but then his kick changed direction to the wound on my abdomen.

"Aaaargh!!!" Damn! That was a low-blow hit! It really hurts!

"Don't die just yet," he said as he forcefully pulled my hair upwards. "I'm not done with you yet. This is for my brothers."

******
***
*

I don't know how much time has passed. It may be a few minutes, or it may even be a couple of hours.

Regardless of which, I was done. As I lay on the floor, my strength was slowly seeping away from me. My body was filled with bruises, cuts, burns, and holes. That guy really didn't hold back…

Is… this death?

It was cold. I could barely feel my limbs and my eyes were heavy like anvils, threatening to close at any given moment.

In this situation, one would say they don't want to die, but all I could think of was, "H-how… did you find me?"

"Don't underestimate me. I tracked you by myself." He snickered as he coldly looked down at me, but I couldn't care less.

I snickered back, "Bullshit… even if you possessed some amount of intelligence, it wouldn't amount to you being able to track me down and deactivate FRIDAY.

"Thinking back, it doesn't make sense for a small group like yours to be able to intercept my family with me keeping watch, yet would immediately be destroyed by someone like me. So… who the hell was it? Who was the fucking rat?"

"Hmph, even when you're on the verge of death, you're…" the man paused for a few seconds before shaking his head. "Forget it. What good does it give me to argue with a dying man."

He then walked toward me and proceeded to step on my chest, making me groan in pain. He then said, "Dicinas sends his regards."

It was then my mind went blank. Him? Seriously? Then I remembered that he's been trying to contact me for a few years now, but I realized he was not doing that to seek forgiveness. No, he was doing that to find my location!

Ha… Haha… HAHAHAHA, of course, it'll be him! That greedy son of a bitch!

When I came to, the man had his gun aimed at my head.

"Any last words?" he said.

—Ding!

Hearing that, my mood explicitly became better.

"Yeah, FRIDAY, activate Protocol: Stigma and Protocol: Firework." I simply said.

"What?" the man was confused, understandably so.

[…Yes, boss.] the familiar voice of FRIDAY replied.

Using every last ounce of my strength, I pushed back the man and used my remaining strength to punch his spleen.

"Khak!" the man coughed up blood as he held his left abdomen in pain.

With my strength gone, I quickly dropped to the floor.

"Bastard!" he charged toward me and held me up in the air.

He was about to throw a punch until, suddenly, the walls, doors, and windows were reinforced with hard steel.

"What's going on?" he said coldly as he cautiously looked left and right.

Taking a deep breath, I said with a smile, "You don't need to know what Stigma is, but I'll gladly tell you what Fireworks is."

Meeting his gaze head-on, I simply said, "It's a simple countermeasure of mine that will turn this house into one huge firework."

Realizing what was about to happen, his eyes, filled with anger, were filled with despair and fear as he dropped me to the floor and desperately tried to escape, but it was too late.

"Tell it to stop!" he commanded, but rather it was with a shriek.

"Can't and definitely won't.

"We're both going to hell, yeah?" As I said that, I slowly closed my eyes as I awaited my impending death.

[… I’m sor… bos…]

This is goodbye, FRIDAY. Thank you for sticking with me to the end.

"Nooooooo—!"

—BOOOOOM!

5