Chapter Two: The Walking Irony 
439 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Two: The Walking Irony 

The first few days of her new predicament was a blur for Chen Mei. She had never felt such a deep sense of alienation before. 

The fact that she was in a universe where logic bent to the will of the so-called hero was enough to make her want to die.

Not that Chen Mei actually wanted to perish again, even if her initial demise only involved simply falling asleep. Especially not when she had already been there and done that.   

Thus it was a cruel awakening for her. At least there was no sign of the main protagonist yet. 

Still, she was far from the only one there. There were plenty of cannon fodder individuals and other background characters around. 

The thought of being surrounded by so many strangers made her want to become a hermit or recluse. It also didn't help that she was being constantly watched by those around her.

Having to adjust to an unfamiliar way of life in a cliche xianxia world of DLR is exhausting. Nonetheless she couldn't bring herself to be upset, or rather she had no time to truly process any emotions.

So that's exactly what happened, she adapted. She learned to pretend that she was okay. She did not cry nor did she get angry. Chen Mei did not run around like a headless chicken. 

Instead she had become a totally stoic person which fit the disposition of the fictional character she had woken up as.   

It had to be some sort of twisted joke of fate because her birth name of Chen Mei remained the same. Whereas she now had a courtesy designation of Mingyun.

Yet, she refused to believe it was a coincidence. That no good author Buff Ginseng couldn't take criticism and had to be partially the one to blame.  

Being known for something or having a reputation was something of an intimidating ordeal. 

Regardless, others knew her as Chen Mingyun, or the Osmanthus Doctor now. Only age eighteen and the person was a concise prodigy healer of the Weeping Blossom Sect.  

Good thing she had a few memories of the original character from the novel. 

Yet there was certainly a disconnect between the two life times that were stitched unceremoniously together. Soon enough she was starting to feel better. 

Although at heart Chen Mingyun was still a bit shaken, the space she spent alone helped her to better acclimate to her new situation.  

Of course there were still some days where she would wake up sad, angry or disoriented and confused. Only for rational thought to kick in.

She would push the negative emotions down. Forcing them back into the dark recesses of her mind where they were to remain.             

It was one of those things that if she continued to ignore her feelings it would only continue to build up negatively and backfire. 

So Chen Mingyun would have to deal with that emotional baggage stuff sooner rather than later. One activity or hobby that proved to be a stress relief was destroying training dummies. 

Wood splintered until her knuckles were bloody and bruised. The simple act of rage helped to take her mind off of the disorienting series of events.

Nobody considered Chen Mingyun's sudden actions to be out of character. This was due to the fact her only living relative was their battle loving Sect Leader.  

Thus it helped to vent out all the negative emotions that she kept bottled up. Of course it also helped her gain a better understanding of her strength level. 

So it was a win-win situation but in the end she always fell back on old familiar habits from a previous life.

When outer disciples with minor injuries from training were not lined up outside the Medical Hut it gave her a generous amount of free time. 

Hence Chen Mingyun would be in her natural habitat reading. Oftentimes she could also be spotted returning books or scrolls to the sect library. 

It was another way of gaining knowledge to better prepare for the future. Her understanding of the different factions, their goals and motivations improved. 

Still, the space where she spent most of her time was the Medical Hut. It was an old building that was constructed from wood and bamboo. Yet the structure was surprisingly sturdy.  

Regardless, hindsight is twenty-twenty and there is a limit to how much she could plan ahead. Maybe rolling with the punches was the best option. 

Maybe she spoke too soon because her solitude was interrupted.

"Elder Chen! Most of the other elders and Sect Leader are away on official business but a fight has broken out. What should be done?!" 

"Lead me to where this is happening." She sighed while putting down her book.

Really, Chen Mingyun had no idea how the conflict started or how it ended. All she knew was that there was a lot of blood and disciples had gathered.

Unsanctioned fights were rare and thus a spectacle to be seen when out in the open. Therefore it attracted attention from all sorts of curious and prying eyes.

Yet once the people noticed her presence the crowd thinned. While Chen Mingyun was quiet and lowkey, besides the Sect Leader she had the most authority. 

The rambunctious noise came to a halt and it was dead silent as she approached. Shuffling of feet could be heard as the cultivators present moved out of her path.

Laid out in front for all to see was a cliche scene of an arrogant young master who had just beat up an underdog orphan.   

Finally Chen Mingyun let her disappointment be heard. "What happened to the principle of non-aggression between sect members, especially with you youngsters?"      

"Actually no rules were broken." One of the head disciples spoke up to explain the situation. "Some thief tried to steal steamed buns from the kitchen but his actions were thwarted."    

"I understand, so that's what happened. Everyone's efforts are appreciated but for now dismissed."             

The newer disciples of the Weeping Blossom Sect were quick to scatter like rats while the older ones took their time walking away.

Just Chen Mingyun's luck because she was required to write a report of the incident. Too bad things often get worse before they get better.

Whereas left behind on the ground was a scrawny young man with a few scrapes and a bruised cheek. His robes were tattered and the clothing resembled rags. 

Even though he was akin to a fish out of water he still acted like a cornered animal who would attack if provoked. 

"Relax kid, you're probably starving. I'll get you some food and patch your wounds if you promise to talk." She assured him. 

Part of her actions were motivated by sympathy which wasn't to be mistaken for pity. She was a person who at one point only got by on expired cup ramen.

"Fine but I'm not a child, I actually just turned seventeen." He snapped at her with disbelief.

Maybe malnutrition was to blame for his short stature.  

Chen Mingyun was surprised at the boy's sudden shift in attitude to a calm demeanor. "What's your name?" she asked.

”Yun Jianyi.”

It was then that all color left her face. At least the veiled hat, a weimao, that she wore hid most of the shocked expression that refused to go away.       

7