Chapter Four: Skimming Paperwork like Stars
391 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Four: Skimming Paperwork like Stars

Due to the countless years of crippling university student debt, life had made Chen Mingyun a little cynical.

As it was in the past, having to manage her own finances was troublesome enough. While checking over the sect’s monthly budget was akin to a tremendous headache.    

Such responsibilities were usually taken care of by a different person. Yet given that many key individuals were still away on their diplomatic missions she had taken up the duty.    

Interestingly at least it provided insightful information. Cultivation factions of the Immortal planes used Spirit Stones as the main source of currency. 

While those in the Mortal Realm also used ingots and coins. This was because of the close proximity and interactions with the ordinary populace.

In fact the Weeping Blossom Sect was once located in the Immortal Realm but due to a notorious conflict from centuries past things had changed. Yet it's simply a story best retold another time.     

Malicious creatures and evil ghosts preyed on the weak. So in recent years it was the norm for cultivators of the Mortal Realm to be hired to defend the common folk.

‘Almost done.’ Chen Mingyun drearily sighed. Sitting at her desk, she still had one more huge stack of important documents to look over.  

To finish work faster she couldn’t put her mind to anything else right now. For the past two hours she had been frantically going through all of the reports, organizing stuff for the Sect Leader's return. 

It had taken her that long just to make sure that there were no errors. Yet because of the sudden appearance of the protagonist it had caused a dilemma. 

Hence the focus of her attention had been divided between work and what to do with Yun Jianyi. 

Chen Mingyun didn't have the heartlessness to kick him out back onto the streets. Nor did she want to see the young teen suffer. 

Still, it was also true that she would most likely be in a better predicament if they never met at all.

Nonetheless he was occupied with stuffing his face with more pork buns. It seemed the main character had discovered a new favorite food. 

'I’m not sure it’s possible to eat like this every day.' Yun Jianyi internally thought. 'But now that I’ve had a taste, I’m hooked.' 

Meanwhile as soon as he was done eating, he peered over the shoulder of Chen Mingyun. She was still furiously skimming through the last of the reports. 

Curiosity instilled, Yun Jianyi tried to decipher the contents of her current document. 

Yet in his mind the calligraphy symbols failed to connect to words. All he could make out was a series of elegant scribbles and brush strokes.

"Have you ever been taught how to read?" Chen Mingyun asked. 

Yun Jianyi shook his head with a frown. Aside from a few simple characters he had never been taught the finer points of the skill.

People were typically peasents or farmers, while only scholars, merchents, and cultivators were known to be literate. Public education also wasn't that wide spread.     

"If you're willing to learn and become my assistant, I'll teach you." She offered.

It took him a few minutes to process what the distinguished and reclusive women had said. The offer was too good to refuse.

Albeit the prospect of learning from a revered cultivator of the Mortal Realm sent a shiver through him.

Then Yun Jianyi's eyes were blown wide and he was hesitant. "But... Why would you want to apprentice someone like me?"

"Because, we were cut from the same cloth." It was a generic reason given that she stated in her usual dry and cut tone.

For all the protagonist's survival instincts, he only ever viewed himself as non-extraordinary due to a low self image. So there was reluctantness until finally he agreed. "I accept."

Anyway the more Chen Mingyun thought about her proposal, the more she felt uncertain. It was a huge gamble, but a chance she was willing to take.

Of course her generous offer wasn't without altruism and selfishness. Demon blood was a rare ingredient and effective in nullifying poisons.

Plus if she could prevent an unstable Demonic Emperor from existing maybe the Five Realms might be much better off.

Perhaps having some guidance would allow for Yun Jianyi to go down a less treacherous path. Regardless, certain fates can't be changed.

However, that's what cultivators do. They defy the heavenly order to become immortals, then gods.

Whereas others are simply born as monsters from the start.

"Alright, my menial tasks are done for the day. Let's get you washed up and new clothes." Chen Mingyun said.

Through one passageway in the Medical Hut was a private bathing chamber. Yun Jianyi followed close behind her.

The room was large enough to hold four individuals comfortably. It was furnished with a folding screen, a full-length mirror, a tub, and a variety of soaps and lotions.

With a left turn of a knob hot water began to fill up. Steam began to fog up the space immediately.

Soon enough he was alone and left to bathe in the soapy liquid. Yun Jianyi soaked until the grime and dirt were gone.

As for his bandaged arm he kept it above and out of the water. The heat relieved the tension of his sore muscles. 

Finally Yun Jianyi then used a towel to dry completely off and get dressed. After he looked himself over in the mirror.

It was hard to recognize the reflection that stared back. Instead of the tragic orphan appearance that he was familiar with he now had a refined boyish look. 

His hair had a slight waviness to it. It was a light brown color and the length went way past the shoulders.

Definitely a sign of the times that he was beginning to look more like a young man rather than the street urchin which he had once been.

"Good. You clean up better than expected." Chen Mingyun commented. "I wasn't sure if those inner disciple robes would fit or not." 

Then again whether covered in filth or blood he always looked decent. It was a trait attributed to him being the main character. 

Yun Jianyi was definitely pleased with his new outfit. The white fabric accented with gray wasn't exactly his first choice but the material was pleasantly soft.

It was somewhat ironic that his current clothes were a complete one-eighty of what he wore in the original novel as the Demonic Emperor. 

"Of course I'll still have to commission a unique wardrobe set for you since you're my personal disciple. Plus you've got some growing left to do." She added.

“Should I start calling you Shizun?” Yun Jianyi wondered.

Not the type for frivolous formalities her answer wasn’t given much thought. “Do as you want in that regard. Whatever floats your boat.”

“Shizun it is then.” He concluded. 

7