Chapter Six: Falling Blossoms, Fragrant Tea
293 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Six: Falling Blossoms, Fragrant Tea

Since coffee didn't seem to exist, Chen Mingyun settled on the next best thing. A fictional caffeinated drink used to boost Qi, aka spiritual energy.  

Although what was once fiction was now reality. At least her goal to find an alternative had paid off. 

Moon seed tea, it was an item that she had purchased from one of the stalls from a nearby ordinary mortal market.

Made from the blue melons grown in Yutian Harbor, they were cut in half and hung to dry at fruit stands. Interestingly only the seeds were used in the brewing process.  

The taste was bitter, but it had a very soothing quality. Whereas the tea's aroma was deceptively sweet. 

"Wait... Shizun stop. Don't drink that!" Yun Jianyi exclaimed, however, it was too late. He grimaced and contorted with disgust.  

Almost anything can be a drug whether prescription or a common substance. Therefore certain cultivators often use the pure raw essence of moon melons like steroids.

Plus another strange occurrence is the popping of pills. To reach immortality one must refine weird ingredients within their body to strengthen the dantian.

Regardless of his words, Chen Mingyun had already sipped most of the herbal liquid from the cup. In her case the drink was diluted and watered down.

"Oh? So you don't like this kind of tea, well I have other flavors such as spearmint or even vanilla persimmon."  

"Something with honey please." He requested with a sigh.

"I might I have just the thing." For a moment she paused. "How does loquat with honey sound?" 

Fervently Yun Jianyi noded, his love of sweet and savory food was apparent. 

Soon enough the second batch of hot water had been boiled. New tea was poured into another cup and Chen Mingyun handed it off to her disciple.

The protagonist was starry eyed, in the past he only ate to live but now he truly felt alive to eat. It seemed his choice of drink went well with the food on his plate.

Honey lingered on the corner of Yun Jianyi's mouth. He caught himself staring at the elegant way his master finished the last of the tea.

Eventually Chen Mingyun put down her chopsticks. "Feel free to attend the open disciple lectures or continue to pursue self study in the library. However, this afternoon we'll need to pick up supplies from Yutian Harbour." 

Abruptly Yun Jianyi interjected. "Shizun, let me help now and think of all the time you'll have to relax later." 

"Very well since you insist." She solemnly agreed with a smile. "See those scrolls on my desk? bring them here."  

He got up and did as what was requested. "Of course." The moment he laid his eyes on the text Yun Jianyi was filled with a sense of accomplishment. 

Unlike before this solidified the fact he was finally able to read not just words but full on complex sentences.  

The top document was a list of all the items that were needed to restock the Medical Hut. In his mind he made a mental note of their prices and descriptions.   

"Alright you take half and I'll carry the rest. The main pavilion is our first stop." Chen Mingyun led the way.    

Out of all the buildings located within the Weeping Blossom Sect the Dawn Palace was the most impressive. 

It was built in the middle of a lush clearing. Meanwhile the high walls were covered with ornate flowers.

Many respected sect elders had private abodes there and it was also the place where the Sect Leader lived. 

Inside, dewy marble columns vertically lined a corridor with shimmering lanterns. A few servants and guards made their rounds but the halls seemed empty. 

Yun Jianyi took in every detail, whereas his master didn't bat an eye. Eventually the two reached their destination.

For every hardworking person, lazy individuals outnumber them.

"Junior Sister Chen, err... I mean Osmanthus Doctor, long time no see!" A voice nervously called out. The sect's talismen specialist, Zhang Ling was meditating. 

"I've filled out the required paparwork so get to work." Chen Mingyun unceremoniously stated. "That broken security ward needs fixing."   

Reluctantly the young man cracked open an eye. Dressed in light green robes, he was laidback but a notorious slacker. "Yes, yes I'll get it done eventually."

"Get it done now before I get the Sect Leader involved." She reprimanded sternly. 

"Fine... fine." Zhang Ling grumbled. "Oh but what's this? So the rumors are true! The recluse physician picked up a tenacious student of unknown origin." 

"That's all for now so me and my helpful disciple will be on our way."

"Cold as ever I see, Mingyun you wound me!" He sarcastically exclaimed.  

"Save the paltry nonsense for someone who cares." Chen Mingyun nonchalantly replied and with that her and Yun Jianyi departed.

She was tempted to chuck a scroll at the annoying talismen specialist. Nonetheless the last of the important documents got dropped off at the Sect Leader's office.

Yun Jianyi said. "That guy reminds me of a cockroach." 

"You wouldn't be far off..." Chen Mingyun commented. "He does as little as possible while getting the job done but his expertise is unmatched."

In the early chapters of the original novel DLR, Zhang Ling was like a bug that was hard for the protagonist to squash. 

The talismen specialist was an antagonist all the way up until the auction house arc. Yet, the only reason why he was an obstacle in the first place was because of a contrived factor. 

One of the girls from the protagonist's harem wanted to collect all the shards of this rare mirror artifact. However, due to the nature of an obscure cultivation path the completed item was useless.  

At least for Chen Mingyun, such a series of specific events was far off from playing out in the current reality. 

It was nearly afternoon when the master and disciple duo finally neared the Medical Hut. The sun was plastered high in the sky.

Chen Mingyun grabbed a pouch of coins with enough funds for all the purchases she would later have to make.  

"I'll treat you to whatever food you want from one of the market stalls. Then we'll explore and get the items I need." She stated.

"Can I buy a few small trinkets for myself too?" Yun Jianyi wondered.

"Of course, you can." Chen Mingyun curtly replied. "Your allowance is a decent fortune so spend it however you want."

She tossed a bag of money at him which he promptly caught. It was filled to the brim with golden ingots and spirit stones.

"Thanks! I'll make sure to use it wisely then." Off to Yutian Harbor the two of them went.   

 

 

6