Chapter 3: A Lady of Death
82 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Outskirts of Olten, Switzerland

Unit: Army Reconnaissance Detachment 10, Switzerland

Date: March 26th, 2021 CE

The forest was quiet, snow sat on the evergreen trees above two mysterious figures dressed in white. The first figure carried a large rifle rapped in a white tarpaulin sheet with a handle of a bolt action rifle poking out the back. This soldier had a feminine figure, with the clothes to match her body shape. Next to her sat a male figure, holding an assault rifle, specifically the SIG SG 550. He was dressed in the exact same colours as her, with small variations here and there. On his belt, he carried a large silver pistol concealed within his long jacket. Both wearing helmets, they watched the city below. It was much quieter and darker than usual... 

The female soldier raised her body from the snowy ground; she slung the sniper around her back before drawing her pistol. Nodding, the male figure stood up behind her.

As they entered the edge of the city and trudged along the edge of the road, one by one, they took turns watching each angle. The female soldier brought the two to a halt speaking gently, just so he could hear "Jäger..." she called him.

The masculine figure turned to her looking carefully, named Jäger, responded, "What, Zeller?"

The female soldier, Zeller, looked forward, "It's like a ghost town... is this really what war has brought us to?"

Jäger nodded, "Martial Law was the right choice, we are still mobilising and Switzerland isn't locked down yet..." he paused, "It won't be as easy as it was in the world wars... I doubt it's even possible at all."

Zeller gulped, a deep emotion dwelled in her stomach, it could have been worry or was it excitement, she couldn't tell.

Jäger was still unmoved by the negative connotations of this war, to him, it was just another mission to protect their homeland. But this was one he expected to be much easier than the rest... an evacuation, that's all it was.

The pair moved deeper into the village, weapons drawn. Occasionally they'd see the old small animal run around or movement in a window, but they had one goal... finish the mission. Suddenly they both paused as they heard a seeming random number of clicks coming from the alleyway. Bringing a small machine from the back of his pouch, he started to press it in a repeating pattern. It was Morse.

Jäger started to click as a sound was made on his small device.

Two more groups of clicks came from the sides of the city as several armed soldiers exited alleys and side-streets. Jäger nodded at them as they formed up behind him. Without making a sound, Zeller broke off and pulled herself up onto the nearest rooftop. Jäger watched, somewhat impressed by her upper body strength. Quickly getting a grip of himself, he brought the rest of the team into the centre of the city. Ahead of them stood a large church, its white walls blended in with the snow.

Walking up to the buildings main entrance, he knocked on the door before taking a step back.

Nothing.

Jäger called up two of his soldiers to cover him, turning back to the door he took a deep breath before slamming his foot forward as hard as he could, the door's lock was split open, and a small metal fragment was flung across the wall of the church.

Immediately, the two soldiers next to Jäger ran in, clearing the rooms. The rest of the unit entered the main room, walked up to the altar. Jäger spoke into his radio, "Unlock Romeo, Oscar."

A reply came back through his headset, "Oscar Foxtrot."

Suddenly, the floor started to peel away, revealing a modern stairway leading into a basement. Entering the modernised room a few guards stood their hands on their pistols, behind them stood several scientists looking at one computer.

One scientist pulled something out of the computer waving it in the air, "It's downloaded!"

Jäger looked past the guards and saw it was a USB lead connected to a large briefcase.

The lead scientist looked at the group of operators before speaking, "Which one of you are the Snow Fox?"

Jäger exchanged a glance, "That would be me." Snow fox was a nickname Jäger gained when he was younger, when he was more of a counterweight to other big countries special forces and foreign terrorists.

The lead scientists stepped past the guards, putting the case back down, "How many NZAIs have you engaged so far?"

Jäger looked momentarily confused, "NZAIs?

The lead scientist chuckled, "Sorry I make up acronyms off the top of my head and forget other people can't see the inside of my head, yet!" he paused calming himself, taking a deep breath in, "NZAI, stands for New Zealand and Australian Infantry, due to the Oceanic empire occupying the previously held territory of those nations!" He breathed out.

Jäger chuckled, "I'm going to call them the NZA, it's easier to say..."

The lead scientist chuckled, "I like you," turning back to one of the guards, "Jerry pick up the briefcase."

One of the guards picked up the case just as a call came over the radio, it was Zeller, "Sir, five rotary aircraft inbound hot, permission to engage? Over."

Jäger gulped turning to the entrance, pulling the cocking handle back slightly he looked in the chamber, seeing a brass cylinder locked in place, "Granted, there are no friendly aircraft airborne, out."

Suddenly, Jäger heard a set of helicopter blades fly overhead, before a single loud shot was fired from a rooftop. Followed by a stream of quieter bullets, rounds tore through air sending three of the helicopters smashing into the ground and nearby buildings.

Jäger checked in with Zeller, "I heard full auto fire, over."

Zeller peaked around a corner before turning back into cover, "A bit occupied here, standby!"

Jäger bit his lip, "Are you going to be overrun?"

Zeller fired a single shot from her rifle. knocking one of the enemy combatants off a rooftop, "This position... uh probably; completely overrun, I doubt it."

Jäger nodded, "We are heading to Evac point one, meet us there."

Zeller shook her head, hiding from the storm of bullets, "No can do sir, they landed in-between you and me! I'm on my own now."

Jäger walked up to a nearby table, "Where's your drone footage?"

The scientist changed the screen with a remote giving a thermal imagery of the location, "If that's your friend, they may be royally screwed."

Over a hundred black dots were pasted around the screen exchanging fire with  Zeller. Jäger slammed his fist against the table, "Dammit, Zeller, I'll help," He turned back to the rest of his unit, "Get the scientists out of here, I'll go save the snipers ass again."

Zeller laughed to herself, "Ah, it's alright Sir, you don't have to worry about me."

Switching off her headset, she stepped out into the open. The gunfire around her ceased, "I'll make my own way out..." 

Breaking out into a sprint she fired the first shot, causing two enemies to immediately drop to the floor before they could even react. The rest opened fire on her as she darted between cover, chambering another round, she repeated the previous action but this time piercing three skulls with one shot. Dodging bullets left and right she noticed a set of feet standing by the nearest cover, drawing her pistol she slid across the rooftop putting two shots in his upper chest, the enemy fell down the tiled sloped. Jumping back to her feet she continued dodging and weaving between the bullets.

Reaching the edge of the roof, she realised she had no choice but to jump.

Leaping as far as she could she fell straight into another window. She heard her foot crack as several footsteps padded around her, she heard the cocking of guns.

She gulped hesitating to look around.

A male Swiss voice called out, "Identify yourself."

Zeller gulped, "Private First Class Sophie Zeller, Swiss Army."

She heard the man lower his weapon and ask her to turn around, she complied. The man was an older fellow, probably even older than Jäger, she thought to herself.

He had silver hair and was wearing what seemed to be a old Swiss military uniform. Noticing his rifle at his side she realised it was an old SG 550.

Suddenly a tiny ball flew through the window, with insane reaction speeds Zeller caught it before tossing it out and closing the window. Suddenly yells came from the streets as a loud explosion rocked the building.

Zeller looked at him, "We need to get out of here, this place is about to turn into a warzone."

The old man looked at her, with dead eyes, "I see..." He paused before turning around, "Come out."

Suddenly several families came out of a backroom and starred at Zeller.

She switched on her headset, "1-1, this is 1-2... we have a situation. Civvies are in play, over."

A call came back over her headset, "Civvies in play... dammit. Another fucking card to worry about, they need to change position, a different building, just provide them with cover, out."

Zeller turned to the old man, "We need to change position we are too vulnerable here."

The old man nodded, "We have a Minimi to provide cover, but that means someone will have to stay..." he paused, "I'll provide cover."

Zeller gulped, "I'll clear the rooftop, get everyone ready to go!"

He dragged an FN Minimi light machine gun from under a table and loaded a box of ammo into the side before slamming the roof of the chamber down.

 Zeller stood up still limping, feeling down her ankle she located where the sound had came from, "A sprain," she muttered.

She looked up at the old man who was counting spare rounds and checking them for any damages, "You ready?" He asked.

Zeller slipped back on her boot before nodding, "Lets do this."

***

Several NZA soldiers sat on the rooftops, watching for their targets.

Suddenly, the air was lit up with gunfire as Zeller kicked out a door. Immediately dropping two of the enemy with her pistol she fired a single round from her rifle before chambering another round. The first rooftop was cleared.

Taking off her left glove, she whistled.

Below her bursts of machine gun fire lit up the nearby windows causing them to shatter. Getting on one knee she shouldered the 15 Kg sniper rifle and watched the ground of civilians run between cover. 

Then she saw a figure move. 

As the figure came into the light, they held a knife in one hand and a pistol in the other. Their face was masked with nothing but a black 3d printed skull. Zeller swung her rifle around firing a single shot, the figure suddenly disappeared as the bullet struck the concrete. 

Zeller froze, "What the..."

Seeing a shadow loom behind her she spun around drawing her pistol, immediately the same skull masked figure kicked it off the rooftop.

Zeller grabbed the masked figures foot, tipping him over. Immediately jumping to her feet she dived on top of him punching his facemask off. She revealed his severely scarred face. Ready to give him several more, she drew a blade from her hip still pummelling him with her left. Bringing the knife above his face she let out a yell as she attempted to plunge it. She felt it drive through her enemies skin, but upon further inspection the man had sacrificed his hand to protect his body.

Throwing Zeller off of him, she slammed into the edge of the roof, coughing up blood she slowly climbed to her knees. The enemy drew their knife with their right and flung Zellers blade off the edge.  

Zeller finally managed to get up, she could see her pistol... it was just behind her opponent.

Readying for hand to hand she wiped the final bit of blood from her mouth.

Darting forward she led with a left hook followed by two rights, pushing them left and right the enemy countered with a single blow to the chest, Zeller was knocked back again. This time the enemy was on her in seconds, first he struck up, striking Zellers chin, before attempting to hook her in the face. She suddenly caught the arm then pulled the enemy closer to her. 

Her face was no further than an inch from his when she grabbed the back of his head and slammed it against the floor, she felt an inhuman strength overwhelming her as she pulled the caved in head back and forth. A red tint filled her eyes as she continued again and again until all she held was a bloodied neck.

She stepped back, hands twitching, she looked at her bloody palms confused when she saw a shadow behind her... there were two.

Zeller suddenly turned around seeing the black skull masked soldier behind her, she stepped backwards as he charged her. She attempted to lead with a blow but was immediately countered. Blow after blow, she took them all. 

She couldn't move... his blows were to rapid. She felt an emotion beneath his faceless mask, joy. She suddenly became motionless scarred by the lack of compassion the enemy had. They'd lost their humanity.

Suddenly, the pummelling stopped as she heard a crunch followed by a smash. 

Jäger stood there, his face as cold as ice, he offered Zeller a hand, bringing her to her feet, "You know... when dealing with bastards like this, the only way to win... is to play dirty.

She saw the enemy stand up, his mask was cracked with blood covering his whole body. Still watching Zeller, Jäger pulled his Desert Eagle from his belt pulling the trigger several times, "Show them no mercy, if they show no humanity, because that's what separates us and animals."

The lifeless enemy body lay there amongst the snow.

Jäger walked up to it tearing off the jaw, drops of blood dripped out but nothing exploded like it should have, "I see, this isn't normal."

Zeller nodded, "Sir he was inhumanly strong, like nothing I've ever seen."

Jäger looked at the crushed skull, "And you matched it," he paused pulling a small digital clock from his pouch, he twitched, "Listen I'm going to give you some advice, as I won't be hear for much longer, find Jonathon Mclaw."

Just as he finished his sentence his body was crushed...

Like it had been compress with Jupiter's atmosphere his corpse lay there, with the clock right next to him. 

Zeller stood in shock, not sure what just happened.

Falling to her knees she starred at the mess on the floor that was once her officer. She picked up the Clock reading it.

Date: March 26th 2021

Time: 09:42

She grasped her palm having no idea what was going on, "This is 1-2, 1-1 i-is KIA... heading to secondary exfil, I need a heli ASAP, preferably a Puma."

"Roger 1-2 we have extract inbound, minute out, what's our cargo?" A man in a foreign accent replied over the radio.

Zeller nodded, "Few civvies and me."

The pilot nodded in his seat, "Roger, we have no Puma though... just something much more appropriate. 

She watched as a dual rotary blade helicopter flew overhead and landed in the middle of the road, several civilians climbed on followed by the machine gun wielding old man. Zeller climbed on as the pilot turned back, "You Private First Class Zeller?"

Zeller nodded placing her rifle under one of the seats before holstering Jägers old Desert Eagle.

The pilot looked at the helmeted figure next to him, "Reaper..."

The figure nodded taking off his helmet, then he spoke in German, "I knew the First Lieutenant well, do you know his first name?" The man asked Zeller as the Helicopter lifted off the ground, Zeller shook her head as the man continued, "It was Alexi Jäger, his mother was Italian while his father was German, they met in Switzerland on a skiing trip, his father came from a Jewish heritage so when the Nazis came to power his grand father used Switzerland as a base to attack deep into Nazi territory and attack the German positions when the SOE called for it; to say he came from a family of heroes was no understatement. Quite an incredible story really..."

Zeller cut him off before he could continue, "Why are you telling me this, in fact who exactly are you?"

The man chuckled, "Well I'm Jonathon Mclaw..." He pulled off his helmet revealing his black and brown hair, smiling he stared her down, "So I have a bit of advice for you... don't show the enemy any mercy."

Did you like this chapter?
  • Loved it! Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Good Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Could be better Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't like it Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hated it Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 2
1