Chapter 28: West to Far East
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: USS Dwight D Eisenhower, Pacific Ocean

Unit: GOU, Coalition forces

Date: 7th April 2022 CE

The waves were calm today, it was the twelfth day since the crew of the fleet had seen land. There was nothing but water around them. the crew on deck were starting to become tense, they knew the enemy could attack at any moment. This is how it had been for days now, patrols had to be constant, and gunners had to be ready to open fire. Because here, they may be the hunter today, but what about the day after? All of them knew this was a game of cat and mouse, but no one knew who the mouse was.

On the vessel's bridge, several officers manned their stations. Behind one of the radar operators stood a man in British MTP, the man had black hair with a few strands of brown to match his eyes. On his hip, he carried a holstered M1911 pistol.

"If you're going to keep staring at sailors like that, one of them may report you," A man said in a Californian accent.

The Brit turned to him, "Sorry, spaced out there."

The Californian smiled, "Chill out, Mclaw, we won't win the war today."

Mclaw smiled, "I guess so, keep me updated," he pointed at the Captain of the ship, as he exited the bridge.

Walking down the steel corridors, he exited onto the deck. Feeling the wind of the high seas brush across his face, rubbing his chin he swore, "I need a fucking shave."

He turned to his left seeing a feminine figure standing there, Zeller. She was holding an ice cream in her left hand while carrying a large rectangle under her right arm. She was dressed in a set of summer clothes and a wide straw hat.

Mclaw frowned at her as she just looked him dead in the eyes, "Sir."

Sighing, Mclaw spoke, "I don't even want to know, do I?"

Zeller just looked at him blankly, pretending to have no idea what he meant. Just as she heard a whistle from a group of Sailors, she turned to them giving them a dark glare as they went silent.

Mclaw spoke again, "Fucking hell, I'll deal with this tomorrow." He turned and walked back into the carrier before descending the steps, trailing behind him was Zeller, Mclaw turned his head slightly, "Get your gear on and tell Burt as well, we're expecting visitors."

Zeller nodded as she turned down one of the many corridors. Mclaw continued on before reaching another section of the ship, bashing the walls he spoke, "GOU males, number off."

"1!"

"2!"

"3!"

They numbered off one by one before each coming out into the hallway.

"10, last man, Sir!"

Mclaw nodded as he saw them all standing to attention, "At ease, lads," All slowing coming to the position of ease, Mclaw waited, "We ready now?"

They all nodded, expecting him to continue, "Right then, recently I've been hearing a rumour going around the ship... a rumour that the GOU are nothing but an undisciplined menace, could someone answer me as to why that is?"

York spoke, "It's because we don't contribute to the ship, Sir."

Mclaw sighed, "Incorrect, it's because you lot are drawing the crew away from their positions to help with your little shenanigans. For example, just a few minutes ago I caught Zeller with a sun lounger on the flight deck. No clue how she got it, but doing that in front of the rest of the crew doesn't help morale, it damages it."

Mounts gulped before speaking, "Respectfully, Sir, we've just come out of an intense fight and are not ready to be put on standby, so we may have gone slightly overboard at times, as well as Mabasa being too injured to come with us, it's been hard sir."

Mclaw nodded, "High-intensity situations do that to you, it's because of your adrenaline being on constantly. However, adrenaline is a very big weakness, you might spark something, another fight. Not with the enemy, but rather your allies."

Mounts nodded, "Sir, the guys and I have been talking..."

He was cut off as he felt a huge aura cut him into a million pieces, Mclaw stared him down, "Talking about what?"

Mounts looked down, "Could we maybe join a helicopter patrol just to see something other than a ship for a while?"

His aura immediately retracted as he nodded, "I see," he paused, considering it, "Sure, I saw a Super Stallion on the deck, bring your rifles." All the other members looked at each other in surprise, before Mclaw spoke again, "However, we are going to have a few more joining us."

***

Standing on deck, the GOU watched an aircraft come in for a landing, York rolled his eyes, "Them... really?"

Mclaw nodded as the MiG29 rolled to a stop next to the similarly sized F/A-18F Super Hornets, following him were four more fighters, one MiG29, two F35s and an F16. Climbing out of the cockpit, small ladders extended from the aircraft, the deck crew looked surprised carrying larger ladders to the MiG29s.

A female pilot waved from the cockpit, "Mclaw, long time no see!"

Mclaw smiled at her, "Good to see you too, Kalinichenko."

The pilots slowly grouped up ahead of the GOU, Mclaw saluted the lead pilot with a flat palm while the lead pilot saluted back, the lead pilot's salute was different to Mclaw's. The pilot saluted with two figures, both bringing their arms down Mclaw spoke, "We haven't spoken in a while, have we, Wolf?"

The pilot, nicknamed Wolf, smiled, "No we have not, Reaper," they both chuckled as their men looked confused, "What's on the agenda today, Captain."

Mclaw smiled, "Well my boys and girls were getting bored and we seem to be overstocked on ammunition, so."

Wolf looked at his pilots, "Sounds like fun."

A masculine Ukrainian voice spoke, "You can count me out."

York spoke, "What? You afraid we are going to beat your ass, Ghost?"

The Ukrainian looked pestered, "No, I'm more afraid that I'll embarrass you, Mr Special Forces."

A chuckle came from the crowd, as Zeller started to mutter something, "Fight, fight, fight."

Both Mclaw and Wolf glared at her and she immediately shut up, Wolf spoke, "Ghost, I know you and York don't get along, just please for once in your life be quiet."

Kalinichenko chuckled, nudging Ghost, "Yeah, dipshit, be quiet and relax."

Ghost glared at her beneath his helmet, "Fine, I'll tag along."

Climbing into the nearest helicopter, York sat opposite Ghost. They both stared at each other, Ghost looked away while York grinned, turning to a pouch he pulled a book from his pouch. Flicking it open, he started to read.

The helicopter started up and took off as Kalinichenko tapped York on his leg, indicating the headphones, York raised an eyebrow before placing them on, "Oi Yorkie, what you reading?"

York raised an eyebrow, "Yorkie?"

Kalinichenko smiled, "Yeah, what you reading?"

York sighed, "Traded a book with one of the sailors, got a book about spies," showing the cover, he went back to attempting to read.

Kalinichenko nodded, "The spy is British, right, just like you, Mclaw?"

Mclaw chuckled over the radio, "My nationality is classified."

Kalinichenko laughed, "That seems like an ongoing trend with you, Sir."

Mclaw smiled standing up on the moving helicopter, "Hold on, I'm dropping the ramp," smacking a button a strong gust of wind blew into the compartment. Mclaw stood on the ramp, holding onto a railing with one hand.

Dragging a small parcel from beneath one of the seats he chucked it out and watched as a parachute opened up before deploying several smaller packages each spreading across the waves. Mclaw walked down the hold before tapping the pilot on the shoulder, "Stop here."

He turned around to the troops, "Right lads and lasses, does anyone want a beer?"

Pulling a case of alcohol from a covered tarp he held one up.

Zeller clapped as Mclaw threw one at her. Placing the case down he walked up next to the pilots, "You two, ok?"

They both looked at him, "Yes, sir, it's good to be out of combat."

Mclaw chuckled, "Indeed it is, now do you two drink?"

***

Several loud cheers came from the ramp as a loud shot was fired. York had Zellers Hecate II fixed in his shoulder with Ghost looking over his shoulder. Smiling he stood up, "Try beat that."

Wolf looked at Zeller, "So that parcel was a set of targets?"

Zeller nodded, "About 50 of them, all squeezed into one small package."

Wolf smiled, "That'll keep Ghost busy."

Then another cheer came as another shot was fired. Ghost smiled, "You going to put any less effort in?"

Mclaw walked up behind Wolf and Zeller, "Why do those two even have a rivalry?"

Wolf shrugged, "From what Kalinichenko told me, apparently, Ghost showed York up in a fitness session, and then they proceeded to exchange several punches. No one really won but they've both hated each other's guts since then."

Mclaw chuckled, "Children."

Zeller chuckled, "You don't say?" Zeller nodded, "Anyway, I'm going to show these amateurs what a real sniper shoots like," blowing the top of her index finger while making a gun shape she walked through the crowd.

Wolf looked at Mclaw, "How are you taking it?"

Mclaw looked at him blankly, "Taking what?"

Wolf looked down, "Kyton's diagnosis."

A dark cover grew on Mclaw's face before he shook his head, "He was friends with your father, right?"

Wolf looked Mclaw dead in the eyes, "Don't avoid the question."

Mclaw nodded, "I knew he would die someday, and so did he. But when I found out what it was from, to say I was pissed would be an understatement."

Wolf sighed, "Lung cancer is a hell of a thing, especially when he refused to get it diagnosed for several months."

Mclaw nodded, "10 months left."

Wolf nodded, "Hear he's refusing treatment."

Mclaw gulped, "Even if he did, he wouldn't survive till to see 2024," Mclaw paused, "What about you? You've never lost a pilot under your command before."

Wolf's lip twitched, "Surma..."

Mclaw looked forward, "I'm sorry, that was insensitive, pretend I never said anything."

Wolf looked to the side, "It's fine Captain, I need to talk about him," he paused, "Because if I did, how can I move on?"

Mclaw nodded, "Losing your first friend... it's always saddening."

Wolf knew Mclaw hid his past, but he didn't dig into it. He knew Mclaw was something special but he didn't know how special. He imagined Mclaw had lost many whether they had been under his command or out of his range of protection. What he didn't know was how Mclaw lost his first friend.

Mclaw looked out the door, "You may feel you could have done more... maybe if you did something different he wouldn't be there and then, maybe he wouldn't have been struck down if you didn't go to war," he paused, "But no... that's not how the world works, we all have a time and date to die, just not all of us know it."

Wolf nodded, "Mclaw, I need to know," he looked at Mclaw's turned away head, "Do you intend to survive this war?"

Mclaw didn't move his head, "I will carry out my duty, my duty to humanity," he chuckled under his breath, "My fate was decided a long time ago, Wilczek," Mclaw used Wolf's last name.

Wolf looked down, "I see."

They both stood in silence as a cheer came from the end of the helicopter, Zeller stood up, high-fiving several members of the GOU and Winged Hussars, before flipping off Ghost and York at the same time.

Suddenly, a cry came over the cockpit, "Captain, we just received a communication from the carrier!"

Mclaw turned and entered the cockpit, "What is it?"

Wolf looked over his shoulder as the pilot continued, "It's Japan, Sir!" he gulped, "They're under attack!"

0