Chapter 47: The British Are Coming!
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Rorke's Drift, South Africa

Unit: Scots Guards, British Army

Date: 21st April 2025

Gillie cautiously peered over the trench, shouldering his rifle as he pulled the trigger repeatedly. Suddenly, three menacing tanks emerged over the ridge. Seeking cover beneath a sturdy reinforced block, he shielded his head as a barrage of machine gun fire rained down just above him. Swiftly changing his position, he retrieved a javelin from one of the storage boxes and hoisted it up, reappearing in a different section of the trench. Removing the front plate, he locked his sights on the first enemy main battle tank.

"Missile away!" he shouted.

The missile shot out, sending a powerful backblast through the trench. Striking the first tank, its turret was violently thrown off as the ammunition ignited. Gillie swiftly swung his rifle around, placing the rocket launcher down. As he ran further down the trench, he noticed the other two tanks scattering under a relentless shower of javelins. In quick succession, both tanks were incapacitated, their destruction marked by towering pillars of flame reaching into the sky.

Spotting a wounded soldier clutching his shoulder, Gillie hurried toward him. Without uttering a word, he retrieved a First Aid kit from one of his pouches and demonstrated it to the soldier. With a swift motion, he tore off the soldier's sleeve and secured a bandage, firmly guiding the soldier's hand to apply pressure on the wound. Skillfully tying it down, he swiftly covered the exit wound with a second bandage.

"Can you stand?!" Gillie asked, raising his voice to be heard over the deafening gunfire. The soldier struggled to his feet, nodding in affirmation.

Gillie seized the soldier's rifle, ensuring the safety was engaged, and secured it tightly against the soldier's chest. With determination, he swiftly carried the soldier under his arm and guided him toward a nearby shelter. Two medics were already waiting there, attending to several injured soldiers.

Gillie dashed out, immediately halting beside the Lieutenant. "Welcome back," he said.

Gillie lay down, catching his breath. "Thanks. Any more injuries?" he asked.

The Lieutenant shook his head. "None. We're clear." Suddenly, his words were cut short as he was forcefully knocked back with a smack.

Gillie swiftly rose to his feet, switching his rifle to full auto. He unleashed a rapid spray over the trench, emptying his entire magazine into the advancing wave of NZA androids.

Two androids reached the trench, aiming their rifles at the soldiers. With all his strength, Gillie kicked off the ground, grabbing hold of the rifle pointed at the Lieutenant. He swiftly turned it on the other robot, holding down the trigger.

The robot jerked back as the magazine emptied.

Gillie's gaze fell upon a metallic foot swinging towards him. Bracing himself, he absorbed the impact on his side and was thrown several metres back. Regaining his footing quickly, he assumed a fighting stance and swiftly drew his pistol. Squeezing off two shots, the bullets ricocheted into the sky. Sliding between the robot's legs, he evaded a blow and forcefully pressed the pistol against the robot's side. Firing several shots, he released the pistol and dove back into the safety of the trench.

An explosion reverberated through the air as Gillie shielded the injured officer.

Two soldiers rushed forward with a stretcher, preparing to load the officer onto it. McDonald reached out, giving an open palm with curled fingers. "Strike hard, Sarnt," he said.

Gillie nodded resolutely. "Always, Sir."

They clasped each other's palms tightly as the medics whisked the officer away.

Gillie strode purposefully along the trench, unclipping his helmet and hooking it on his belt. Replacing it with his beret, he picked up his L85 and swiftly reloaded it upon hearing the call, "IFVs!"

Seizing an AT4 rocket launcher, he climbed onto the bank, firing it without hesitation. The first infantry fighting vehicle erupted in flames, taking down several androids and enemy soldiers in the process.

Leaping out of the trench, he darted around the back of the first destroyed IFV, spotting another one with a platoon of enemy troops in close pursuit.

Drawing two grenades, he hurled them into the midst of the enemy crowd. The explosion engulfed several androids and soldiers, allowing Gillie to open fire on the remaining enemy forces.

Glancing up, he noticed the turret swivelling in his direction.

Diving to the left, he narrowly evaded shot after shot, swiftly reaching the rear of the IFV. He winced in pain, gripping his ears as the autocannon fired merely ten metres away from his ear defenders.

Suddenly, an explosion reverberated through the air, silencing the autocannon.

Spying another IFV, he affixed a bayonet and charged towards it. With the turret pointed elsewhere, he refrained from firing until he observed the back door swinging open.

Sprinting around the back, he came face to face with a soldier standing there. Thrusting his rifle through the soldier's heart, he yelled at the top of his lungs before redirecting his attention to the interior of the IFV. He gunned down two soldiers attempting to climb out, still impaling the bayoneted corpse on his weapon. Disposing of the bayonet, he extracted a grenade from the fallen soldier's body and tossed it into the vehicle.

The IFV erupted in flames as Gillie sought refuge in a nearby ditch. Springing to his feet, he gazed towards the frontline, catching sight of a single flash in the distance. Time seemed to slow as he froze, realising the danger approaching. A small metallic object hurtled towards him—a bullet.

He tried to react but found himself immobilised. The realisation set in that he was about to meet his end. Unable to hyperventilate or change his expression, he braced for the impending impact.

Just as the bullet neared, streaks of flame erupted from behind him, enveloping the bullet and freezing it in mid-air.

Gunfire from the defensive lines ceased as Gillie turned around, searching for the source of the flames.

There stood Safari, hand extended. Gillie once again found himself frozen, his palm receiving the slightly warm bullet that Safari's flames had intercepted. "You did well. The Reaper is impressed," Safari remarked.

With a determined nod, Safari turned towards the troops, his voice ringing with authority. "Come on, lads! Stand up and fight!"

Safari ascended the hillside, unleashing torrents of flames onto the approaching enemy wave.

Battle cries erupted from the trench as a relentless barrage of gunfire rained down on the invaders. Gillie quickly glanced back at the HQ and noticed the automatic air defence system shifting its focus to the north.

Suddenly, the deafening scream of jet engines filled the air as a MiG-29 streaked overhead. Pulling up, the engines cut out, and a cascade of bombs rained down along with a flurry of gunfire.

The bombs soared through the sky as Safari closely observed their trajectory. The jet continued its ascent, and Safari knew the pilot had engaged the throttle lever, evident from the blazing engines before the aircraft swiftly disappeared behind the mountain. Just then, a resounding boom echoed from Safari's side.

Gillie watched in awe as the napalm decimated the remaining enemy forces, turning them into charred remnants.

Emerging from the flames, several robots managed to escape, catching Gillie's attention. He raised his head and exclaimed, "Shit! Survivors!"

However, Safari had vanished from sight.

Gillie's eyes darted across the battlefield, witnessing more explosions and flames engulfing the area. Amidst the chaotic scene, a lone figure gracefully evaded bullets and skillfully evicted blows.

Safari swung his flaming ropes once more before retracting them. The two remaining robots crumbled, their metallic bodies shattered into countless pieces. Safari then calmly made his way back towards the trench, traversing the carnage of the hellish battlefield.

Gillie kept his head low, urgently advising, "Sir, you need to find cover. There might still be snipers."

Safari raised an eyebrow, amusement flickering across his face. "What did I say earlier, Sergeant?" he smiled. "Or were you not paying attention?"

Gillie's expression remained unchanged, prompting Safari to continue. "I said stand up and fight. And why should anyone follow my lead if I can't lead by example?"

Gillie chuckled, a glimmer of admiration in his eyes. "Then, Sir, I'll stand with you."

Safari firmly gripped his old R4 rifle, cocking it as he climbed out of the trench. Suddenly, a barrage of projectiles whooshed overhead, unleashing a series of devastating explosions that decimated everything in front of the two soldiers. More aircraft soared above them—F35s, Typhoons, MiG29s, and Gripens—filling the sky with their presence.

Following closely were helicopters and tanks, with chinooks landing at the base. Hundreds of soldiers spilt out, swiftly assisting with first aid and filling in wherever needed.

Safari turned to Gillie, determination etched on his face. "With me, Sergeant. Someone wants to meet you."

As they walked through the trench, a voice called out, "THE BRITISH ARE HERE!"

A Scottish voice from one of the bunkers responded, "The British were already here, ya mug!"

Safari chuckled, his spirits lifted, as he leapt over the top of the trench and approached a group of unidentified soldiers—no badges, no ranks. Yet, no one dared to approach them.

Safari came to a halt in front of the group of about ten operators. Speaking in a clear and concise voice, he reported, "Sir, perimeter secure, enemy in retreat."

The person he had been addressing was hooded, wearing a smooth half-mask and goggles. Their hair was concealed, but Gillie caught a glimpse of a few strands of brown hidden beneath. The figure spoke, their voice carrying an air of authority. "Good. We should be able to proceed with the meeting. Also... we will have a word later." Gillie could see a flicker of flame in their left eye. The figure then turned to two operators. "Find a place to settle in and brief him."

Two operators nodded and approached Gillie, their faces concealed behind masks. One of them spoke, their voice commanding, "With me, that's an order, Sergeant."

Gillie exchanged a glance with Safari as he was pulled away, a mix of anticipation and curiosity swirling within him.

0