Epilogue
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shawn leaned back in his seat, watching reporters file into the conference room. Chief Palo was a few chairs down, checking his phone. They were both there as a formality, but were invited to speak if they felt the need. Paul sat down next to Shawn, checking his watch. It was almost time to start.

“How’d it go with your team?” Paul asked. 

Shawn looked at him thoughtfully. “Why don’t you ever say ‘hello’?” he asked. “Is it a family thing? Did no one teach you it’s a common word? Do you just not like greetings in general?”

“Sorry,” Paul said, embarrassed. “I don’t know. People have brought it up, I just… never learned the habit?”

“Fair,” Shawn shrugged. “Vines as a whole believes you’ll be a good team manager.”

“Thank you. I’ll try.”

“Well, you can’t do any worse than Rhea did.”

“This is true.” He sighed. “I suppose I’ll have to get used to public speaking.”

Shawn smiled. “Find someone for your team like Victor. Make them do all the reporter stuff. Just sit in the background looking formal and respectable.”

“I see I have much to learn from you,” Paul said.

A clock chimed the hour. The soft chatter in the room evaporated as Paul got up. He went to the podium, adjusted a paper, and paused as he read the first lines of his speech. He looked back at Shawn, smirking, then turned to the audience.

“Hello,” Paul said, possibly using the word for the first time in his life. “Thank you all for coming. This conference was called to inform everyone of the current and future state of Team Copper. The deaths of two of our members, Rhea and Catherine, has been confirmed and reconfirmed. They were murdered by an unknown speedster, most likely a blonde man, for reasons unknown. Both the police and Team Vines are helping investigate the murders.” He took a deep breath. “A vote was taken, and I was elected team manager in Rhea’s place. As such, I am for all intents and purposes disbanding Copper for the next month. We will spend the next thirty days grieving, implementing changes, and interviewing for two or three new members. Vines has agreed to care for the city alone during this period, although we are still available if a problem arises.” He paused, looking up at the crowd. “I will now take questions.”

Shawn checked his phone as every single reporter raised their hand. In Vine’s team chat was a picture of the girls standing in front of a baggage carousel.

Nick

$20 says your bags ended up in Panama.

Victor

Have fun!

Inez

I need cash, bump that bet up to $50 and I’ll take it.

Nick

(typing…)

Shawn put the phone down as a winner was chosen among the reporters.

“I believe Copper was about to announce a new member. Will they still be joining?”

Paul shook his head. “No. She only joined because of Catherine. She has no desire to become a superhero.” He pointed to another reporter.

“Forgive me if this is insensitive, but why isn’t Emmy of Vines being investigated?”

“Because there is no evidence she left their building on the morning in question,” Paul said. “We have no reason to suspect her other than her power, which frankly isn’t enough to launch a full investigation. There are better ways of finding the killer than simply pointing at the nearest speedster and shouting ‘aha’.”

Shawn got up, moving to the podium to speak into the microphone. “Also, may I remind you, the pictures we have of the murderer seem to show a blonde man. Emmy is an eighteen-year-old girl with brown hair. I’m not saying it’s outside the realm of speculative possibility for her to be the murderer; all I’m saying is the evidence indicates it’s someone else.”

Paul nodded as Shawn went back to his seat.

Another reporter was called. “Are you looking for a specific role to be filled in your team? Or is anyone with any power invited to apply?”

“Anyone is invited to apply,” Paul answered.

Shawn pulled his phone out again. Inez’s bag was in her hand, but Emmy’s still hadn’t appeared. Nick and Inez were in an argument about whether the bet was valid if only one bag went to Panama. Victor asked where in Panama, but the question had gone unanswered.

You

I kind of want to ask for a selfie of the suitcase on a beach in Panama as proof it went there.

Victor

Holding a drink?

You

Exactly

Emmy

MY BAD IS HERE

Bag

Inez

NICK PAY UP

Nick

Pictures plz

Emmy sent a picture as, back in the real world, Paul assured everyone Copper’s debts would be paid. About half of the reporters still had questions.

Shawn stifled a yawn, sliding the phone back into his pocket. He still felt worn out mentally and emotionally, but was much better than he’d been for days. Knowing his team was in no danger was wonderful. 

Somehow, against all odds, Vines was alive and well. And they would stay that way, even if it killed him. 

Shawn smiled.

His family was safe.

1