Chapter 86: Poking the Demon
1k 5 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tension of everyone knowing I was a demon dissipated slightly over the trip. Paula kept away from me, but I caught her sneaking glances and I tried to politely ignore them or gently smile back.

However helpful or antagonistic she ultimately decided to be wasn’t something I could change—not without undermining my case that I was a “good” demon. Fira would handle anything, hopefully, and I had some solace in the fact I’d done nothing wrong. Hopefully, we’d all be too busy trying to clear out the people making Taava’s life a living hell for any of the company to go gallivanting off to the Church to tattle on the nice demon. The demon who helped them and only brutally killed another demon.

Fira stayed quiet, but I somewhat understood their silence, considering what they were going through and the fact they really didn’t want to show any favoritism to me. I also think I’m not their favorite, so that probably helps. Drin and Tren spoke to me some on the way back. I had to face a barrage of questions from Drin about why exactly it was that I didn’t spend all my waking hours (and sleeping hours once Tren helped me convince her I did, in fact, sleep) ripping and tearing my way through to countryside. But, once that was all done, she was amenable enough to conversation.

Tren hadn’t brought up his feelings to Drin yet, and it was almost painful to see. Did Seyari and I ever look like these two? I should ask Aretan. I decided to try to give another push if we became closer as friends. Right now, given the circumstances, I didn’t feel right doing so.

Mostly, I spent my time talking with Salvador. We opened up a little to each other. I learned that his daughter’s name was Sonia, and her skin was nearly the same shade of crimson as my own, though her horns were pointed up, instead of swept back like mine. When he talked about her, he was almost wistful.

“Salvador,” I asked seriously, “do you want to return home when we get back to the city?”

He hesitated a moment, then shook his head. “Not yet. I’ll return home once I’ve done all I can to show the world that you’re not like other demons. That there can be, however rare, demons like you. And that your existence means that demon-blooded shouldn’t be taken from their homes to be raised by the church.”

“That could take years,” I responded softly. “I thought you said you weren’t interested in the revenge I want to take.”

“I’m not. And it will take years. I need to stay long enough for the spark to catch, then I can spread the news as best I can back home or elsewhere.”

“Didn’t you say your daughter was happy with the church?”

“She is, but there are others who aren’t. My late wife and I were lucky, in that respect. Plus, I know Sonia wants to see more than Inolza. She’s going to petition the church to let her serve abroad, and she’s worked so hard to at least have local support for her going. I think she knows that it won’t be as easy, or go as smoothly, as she wants it to.” As he spoke, I could see tension building in his shoulders. A little flash of his anger came and went.

I smiled softly. “Then I’ll try to light that spark as fast and as bright as I can, so you can see her off as soon as possible.”

“Thank you, Zarenna.” Salvador relaxed slightly.

“You’re welcome, Salvador. This is what friends are for, isn’t it? Besides, I’m good at starting fires.”

Salvador smiled back at me and didn’t try to hold in a laugh.

The expectation I’d placed on myself felt heavy, but a good kind of heavy. I glanced back at Salvador, smiling under his hood. I’d failed with too many friends to know for sure if I’d succeed, but I’d sure as hell try my best.

***

I was pleasantly nonplussed to see Lockmoth looking exactly how we’d left it. Disappointed, if I was being honest about what the city could stand to improve. We’d fix a part of the issues while helping Taava, hopefully.

My anxiety grew as we walked through the city toward the Gelles Company’s hall. I’d expected Seyari and the others to be waiting for me at the edge of the city, where we’d parted. Instead, once we arrived at the company hall, Fira was pulled aside by an aide and I was left to stew in the lobby while the others of the company, except for Drin, Tren, and Salvador, parted ways. I noted that Paula was one of the ones who went toward the residential area of the hall instead of leaving to a home in the city.

We all sat and talked about some good places for food in the city, and the large clock in the room ticked by multiple hours before someone came for us. Eventually, I heard a voice call for me and an aide stepped through the side door into the room.

“Zarenna,” the aide said, “and Salvador, please follow me. Firalex and Rodrik are waiting with some friends of yours.”

The way he said “friends” gave me pause. I nodded regardless. Salvador and I stood up, waved goodbye to Drin and Tren, and followed the aide down several hallways and up a flight of stairs to a fancy-looking door. The aide knocked, and the voices inside stopped. I caught “a record like that” from Rodrik’s booming voice before he cut himself off.

We were led inside to a meeting room that looked a single small step above functional. The chairs had padding, but they also had solid backs that I’d need to mind if I changed forms while in here, which I strongly suspected I’d do given that all the shutters were closed. The aide left us and closed the door behind him.

I saw Seyari sitting with an empty space next to her, facing me across the table. I recognized others, but made a beeline for her. My half angel girlfriend wore a conflicted expression paired with yesterday’s clothes. Uncaring what the others thought, I walked quickly in and hugged her, pulling her up and out of her chair.

“I missed you, Sey,” I leaned down to nuzzle against her and she relaxed, reciprocating the hug.

“Me too, Renna,” she replied, tension in her voice and her eyes hard. “We should sit down; there’s a lot to talk about,” Seyari glanced pointedly at Rodrik, “and we’ll have time later. I promise.”

I pecked a quick kiss on her nose and sat down next to her. “I’ll hold you to that.”

The two of us were across from Salvador and Taava. The kazzel fidgeted in her seat, and looked down at the nicely polished table. Aretan sat next to me, and Nelys across from him. Rodrik sat facing us at the end of the table flanked by Firalex and a tired-looking Ordian man in a city guard uniform.

“Firalex, if you would please,” Rodrik inclined his head toward the door.

Firalex walked over to the door, locked it, and then put a hand in an indent in the nearby wall. Their magic glowed, then lines from the indent flared all around the room. When the glow died, I didn’t notice any change, but Seyari’s expression grew more serious.

I frowned. “Hey Sey, what—”

“No talking unless you’re addressed, Miss Miller,” Rodrik cut me off. “For now, anyway. Firalex just activated an enchantment around the room that should keep prying ears from listening.”

I shut my mouth and nodded.

“Good. Let’s get started,” Rodrik announced. “We’ll cover Officer Lorton’s petition for aid second, Taava’s criminal history third, and Zarenna Miller’s nature first.”

I took a guess that Officer Lorton was the unknown man in the chair. Seyari’s brow darkened and Taava frowned, while my other friends nearly jumped in surprise. Or, in Nelys’s case, actually jumped in surprise. I met Rodrik’s gaze: his eyes were serious, hard, and cold.

“Now Miss Miller, if you would be so kind as to revert your transformation.”

I nodded and moved to stand.

Rodrik put a hand up to stop me. “Is there a reason you’re standing up, Miss Miller?”

“M-my tail, sir,” I answered, suddenly very aware of all the eyes on me. “T-the chair has a solid back and—”

“Very well. Make no sudden movements.”

I nodded and stood slowly. I shifted the waist of my pants, thankful for the alterations to my top that allowed for my arms. My clothing had been cleaned and roughly stitched back together on the road, but I knew I still looked a mess. Steeling myself, I ended my human transformation. There was a squeak from Officer Lorton’s chair, but Rodrik’s hand on his shoulder kept him in his seat.

“Firalex,” Rodrik glared at the mage, “has assured us that it means no harm.”

It? Hey, what gives? I schooled my anger into shape, but I glared openly at Rodrik. I’ll play along with your games, but only if you respect me.

“She, Rodrik,” Firalex corrected.

It is a demon, Firalex. Stand down.” Rodrik replied, his gaze never leaving mine.

I saw Nelys bristle in their seat and felt anger from them, stronger than I’d expected. The others, too were all varying degrees of furious, but the emotion simmered lower in Taava and Seyari.

I didn’t bother to meet Rodrik’s gaze. If that’s the way you want to play it.

“What’s your game, demon?” Rodrik accused. I could feel his anger growing. I let it, for now.

“I seek to join the Gelles Company.” I dropped the “sir” from my statement and crossed my upper arms over my chest. “I do not intend to continue hiding what I am, and I hope you will respect that and respect me. I also wish to help Taava,” I gestured at her with one of my lower arms, “get out from under the thumb of Garvin and the Mudrats, as well as assassins they’re working with.”

“You will not join us, demon,” Rodrik replied angrily. “And we will not help the thief and murderer, either.” He glared at Taava.

“She doesn’t kill people anymore,” I replied, an edge in my voice. “Not since she left that life in Raavia.”

“Lies. You’re good—for a demon—demon. You may have fooled Firalex, but you won’t fool me.”

“I’m not lying,” I asserted.

Taava squeaked.

“Taava?” I asked.

“You do not have permission to speak,” Rodrik replied.

“Shut it,” I told him.

I strangled his anger out before it could flare up, and the confused expression on his face gave me enough time to ask my question. Beside him, Firalex looked nervous and Officer Lorton had turned as white as a sheet.

“Taava, is something wrong?” I asked.

“Uh, nah, not really.” The former assassin’s voice shook.

“Taava,” I warned, “did you lie to me about not killing people?”

“Demon, I’m warning you…” Rodrik ordered.

Taava hitched on her reply.

I nodded at her, then turned to Rodrik. “Rodrik, sir,” I started. He tried to cut me off, but I spoke over him, voice booming unnaturally against the walls. “I will work with you and under you so long as you give me some small measure of respect. Call me ‘it’ one more time and see what happens.”

“Don’t think your threats will work on me, demon. The ward Firalex activated on this room will keep you here until we can dispose of you. I know you held back your strength during the spar, but your form is that of an amateur. You’ll lose this fight once we turn your thralls against you.”

“Did Firalex not tell you anything about what I am?”

“Firalex believed your lies. I will not.”

“And if I’m not lying?” I narrowed my eyes dangerously.

“You’re lying, demon.” Rodrik spat the words in an almost exaggerated manner. His fury didn’t quite match the timbre of his voice, but I might have been to blame for that much.

My rage threatened to explode, but I held it in. Killing Rodrik would only prove his point. “Then I apologize. It seems I’ve wasted my time trying to get help from you. I’ll solve this Mudrat problem myself. Taava, you can speak to me later. We’re done here.”

I stood up, and without shifting form back, I walked to the door and unlocked it.

“Zarenna, that’s enough,” Firalex said.

“No, I’m done here. I’m not going to work with someone who won’t even call me anything more than an ‘it.’”

I opened the door to an empty hallway. The lines of the enchantment didn’t waver.

“Rodrik, I told you your plan was terrible!” Firalex shouted. “I already went to get myself checked for mental influence. Likewise, Drin and Tren should be going there now. We did encounter a demon regardless of what narrative we’re going to spin. Zarenna didn’t do anything to our heads and we’ve been cleared by the church anyway!”

I took a moment to process what Fira’s words meant. My anger ebbed a little, but stayed firmly lit. So that’s why Salvador and I waited so long.

“Well, the plan worked, didn’t it!? And I couldn’t be certain of her motives otherwise. Humans are proof enough you don’t need magic to control someone,” Rodrik fired back. “She didn’t try to kill us, even when pushed. She passed.”

Fira exhaled shakily. “If she had tried to kill us, we’d all be dead.”

Rodrik gave a dissatisfied grunt, but didn’t push the point further.

I stood there in the threshold with my hand on the doorhandle. I hoped for all our sake, the enchantment on the room worked with the door open.

“Miss Miller, you can have a seat again,” Rodrik’s voice was a lot kinder than it had been when I entered. “I apologize for the stress I put you through, but you have to understand my position.”

I closed the door slowly. I turned, glared at Rodrik, and returned to my seat, all the while giving him four middle fingers. “Don’t call me ‘it’ ever again, sir. Not even as a joke. I agree with Fira—your plan was terrible.” I turned the chair sideways and sat back down with a huff. “Do you mind if I ask Taava a couple questions, sir?” The last word I spoke dripped sarcasm. I put my fingers away and met Rodrik’s gaze. It was still hard, but less cold.

“Will you do so anyway even if I tell you to stay quiet?” he asked.

“Yes,” I replied simply.

Rodrik gritted his teeth and glared at me. “Go ahead then.”

I looked at Taava and had only just opened my mouth when she spoke.

“I’ve lied to all of you,” she said, voice losing her usual easygoing accent. Her brown-furred ears lay flat against her head and her eyes were downcast. Somewhere under the table, her tail thwacked wood and went still as her shoulders slumped forward. “I steal things for Garvin. Big things. And sometimes, I kill people to get the job done. I don’t want to keep doing this though, I swear!”

I looked at Taava, then at Seyari. Only now did I realize the significance of her silver hair and golden eyes. The half angel wasn’t disguised. I’d gotten so used to how my Seyari looked that I’d just registered it as normal. That, or my nerves had gotten the better of me.

“She’s telling the truth,” the half-angel said. “I can’t always tell with her usual voice, but I can now.”

“Will you stop killing innocent people if we free you from Garvin’s control?” I asked, trying to keep frost out of my voice.

She nodded. “Yes, absolutely.”

Seyari nodded in confirmation of the truth.

“Well, I don’t know about the bosses here,” I gestured to the slowly recovering officer and the two Gelles Company higher-ups, “but that’s fine enough for me.” I finished with a forced smile. I really didn’t appreciate Rodrik’s “plan” and I had to wonder how much of his attitude was acting. He’d been very convincing.

Taava looked back up from the table in surprise. Her eyes were wet. “Thanks, Renna.”

After only a short moment, Rodrik coughed. “I actually do hate to interrupt this time, but we have business we need to get down to.”

“I’m going to assume you meant nothing of what you said and only acted like you did to try to enrage me?” I addressed Rodrik before we began. I didn’t have to imply a threat to get the effect I wanted. A glance at Seyari showed how calm she was—she might have known.

“Correct, Miss Miller,” Rodrik replied evenly.

Seyari shrugged and stuck out a thumb pointed mostly up. Interesting.

“Apologize,” I demanded.

“I already did, miss—”

“For real this time.” I glared at him. Next to Rodrik, Firalex wore an “I told you so” grin and Officer Lorton was doing his best imitation of a bedsheet.

“I apologize for tricking you and doubting your sincerity Miss Miller,” Rodrik bowed his head lightly. “But I want you to understand that I would do the same again in a heartbeat.”

“Apology accepted,” I sighed coldly. “I suppose I understand why, but I don’t like it. Frankly, the whole plan was insulting.”

Rodrik nodded and the meeting commenced. For real, this time.

Was Rodrik justified? Of course not.

If you want to read more, my Patreon has up to 20+ advanced chapters right now! There are also side stories (canon & non-canon), some of which will stay Patreon exclusive.

If you want to chat about the story or just hang out, my discord is open to all!

75