Chapter 131: Beginner’s Guide to Magic
660 8 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a short, wonderful, moment, I was an apprentice smith again. I could imagine a younger version of myself, still a demon, working the forge and finishing off tent stakes like the kind I was buying here today.

I’d never made a blade, let alone a sword. The few guided-hands lessons Bourick had given me years ago were hardly something worth considering. The things I made were simple: tent stakes and the like. Forgiving things. A rushed cooling process wouldn’t embrittle a tent stake enough to matter. A bent stake could still potentially be sold, or reheated and bent back. Surface finish didn’t really matter—in fact, rough was good to a certain extent. And weight balance? Forget about it.

Still smiling, I watched as Bourick reached up on his tip-toes to the top shelf and felt around with a grunt. What could Abby’s nan have meant to give me all those years ago? It wasn’t terribly like her to give physical presents. Knowledge or stories, I’d understand.

I giggled. “Need help with that?”

The red-haired smith drew his hand back and landed on his heels with a sigh. “Could you? I thought I could get it without a step stool, but I really must be getting older.”

“Did you use a step-stool to put it up there?” I asked, walking over to the rather deep shelf.

He shook his head. “I don’t remember. Oh, and it’s a wooden box about twenty centimeters on a side and half as tall.”

“Sure thing.” I wasn’t quite tall enough to see up on the shelf, so I stuck both my right hands up there and started to feel around.

“Try not to scratch it if you can.”

“Hm? Oh, I’m dulling my claws—and you really do get used to them after a while.” I felt my top right hand bump something. “Oh! I think I got it.” I pushed it toward my other right hand pulled the box down.”

It was a box of old, burled wood, polished to a shine once, but now faded under a layer of dust. The hinges were simple, but well-made, and the latch on the front was neatly closed.

Something about this is familiar.

“Go ahead, open it.”

“O-okay.” I held my breath and flicked the latch up with a claw. Carefully I opened the lid with one hand, holding the box almost reverently with another two.

Inside the box were some unusual trinkets of metal and wood and a small, leather-bound book. Handwritten on the front cover were the words “Beginner’s Guide to Magic.” A memory bubbled to the surface of my mind. Not my memory, but another’s, from the night of the fire.

“Abby’s nan,” I whispered.

“Gertrude?” Bourick asked.

“…Yeah,” I nodded. “I… I remember her closing the lid to this box.”

“How?”

“Bourick? Do you know how demons are formed?”

The smith shook his head.

“Do you want to know?”

“If I say no, will you tell me anyway?”

“I don’t always do that!” I stamped my foot lightly. “So is that a ‘no?’”

“It’s a ‘no.’”

“Fine.” I looked back down into the box and ran the back of one finger reverently down the cover of the book. “I got this memory when I died, I guess. That’s all I’ll say. Thank you for saving this.” Carefully, I took the book out and closed the lid on the box. “But if you don’t mind, could you hold onto it a little while longer? I’ll bring the book back in a day or two. I’d rather this all doesn’t get damaged and I don’t have a safe place right now.”

“I’ve held onto it this long already, I suppose more time won’t hurt.”

“Thanks.” I set the box back up on the shelf where I’d found it, clutching the book protectively in one hand. “Now, about my sister?”

Bourick nodded. “She’s left instructions to contact her. They’re a little unusual, but I can get a message to her tonight. Where could I send a runner to you with an answer?”

I gave him the name of our inn.

“Fancy. Didn’t know mercs made that much.”

“We’re splurging a bit, to be honest, but a few days won’t make us broke. Seyari likes the bath, and I do too.”

“Seyari?”

“My fiancée. She knows about the whole ‘demon’ thing. I think she and the others are waiting outside if you’d like to meet them.”

“That’s wonderful news!” Bourick smiled tiredly. “I’d love to meet them, but I have a lot of work to do today and I think I’m about out of stamina for this sort of thing.”

“Oh.” I couldn’t hide how crestfallen I was. Bourick never was the social type.

“If you’re around four days from now, I’m taking that time off, so you could stop by here, I could meet your friends and fiancée and we could really catch up. Maybe I could even see if you’ve been keeping up with what I’ve taught you?”

Instantly, I perked up. “Yeah! Let’s do that—do you still live where you used to?”

Bourick shook his head and laughed. “I moved closer to the smithy, so I’m right across the street now. Sleeping in’s spoiled me rotten.”

“I’d do the same if I could! I… I guess I should be going now? I need to tell my friends what you’ve told me, and I suppose we should head back to our inn until we receive a response.”

Bourick nodded. “Don’t forget your stakes and whetstone.”

“I won’t. How much for everything?”

***

Once we arrived back at the inn, I went straight to the room I shared with Seyari and set the small, handwritten book from Abby’s nan, Gertrude, on our room’s table. My tail complained about a lack of space in the plush chair, but I ignored it for now, even as I was forced onto the edge of my seat.

Metaphorically, I was already there from anticipation.

The others had split today. Taava ran off somewhere to “spread her songs,” and I was still working to shove down the distinctly unpleasant thought that there was a kazzel bouncing around between taverns and market squares singing about me.

Nelys, meanwhile, wanted to see some of the city’s sights I was too stuck in my own head to want to visit. That, and they needed to get their amulet’s magic fixed. The primary issue with doing so was that whoever they took it to would need to know the nature of the enchantment, something Nelys was distinctly discomforted by.

And so, Seyari volunteered to go with them. Originally, I had volunteered, but I was glad she’d seen my head was elsewhere and stepped in. The candid smile my fiancée had given when she said she had other reasons both worried and excited me.

Finally working up the courage, I looked down at the book, tracing the writing on the cover with a single dull black claw.

“Beginner’s Guide to Magic, huh,” I whispered reverently. “Thanks, Nan.”

Carefully, I opened it and began to read. What a wonder this would have been when I was human! Flowing handwriting explained basic magic concepts to me, and I found myself reading it alternately in Gertrude’s voice and Seyari’s voice.

Much of what she said was repeated here in different terms. The text was clearly aimed to work with my pitiful prior potential. Still, I hadn’t quite realized how special even having as much as I had was. And it was abundantly clear Nan had thought the same. Wrapped in with the magic lessons and very basic spell forms were notes on the history of Linthel, and Edath as a whole, much of which I only had faint ideas about.

There were no major revelations, except for one: Lord, or King I supposed, Carvalon’s family had held land in the area as nobility back long before Ordia invaded and conquered Edath. Moreover, there was a single line here she lamented that the “brilliant young man” had become “vapid and indulgent.”

Brilliant young man?

More and more, I wanted to know what exactly was going on with King Carvalon. If need be… I relaxed my hold on the edge of the table before my fingers left marks. If need be, I might have the power to set right certain wrongs.

But this situation was complex. Smashing it with a hammer would only force others to pick up the pieces. No, as usual, what I wanted to know was not something my physical or magical power could grant me.

What side is King Carvalon on?

I tried to distract myself by performing some of the spell patterns from the book. Simple party tricks, but fun nonetheless, and a good way to demonstrate control—or mess with Taava. Both were very important applications.

I gave my thanks once again to the final gift from one of my greatest role models and closed the book, placing one hand reverently atop its still-new-looking cover. In another life, Nan Gertrude and Bourick would both have taught me.

In that same life, I would never have met Seyari. Or Nelys. And probably not Taava. Aretan and I would never have met, nor Salvador or Lorelei or Markus or Lilly or Isidore. Perhaps I would have encountered Firalex or Rodrick, but under different circumstances. Drin and Tren too… and even Officer Lorton and Paula. Heck, I could throw Ruston into that group as well—I still felt a pit of sadness when I thought about his death. And Vivian… I pushed that thought away.

I kept thinking of more and more people I’d met on my travels. I was just thinking about when Elnie the jerk elf from Torrez’s ship, the Lady of Liseu, had cut my ear off, when I heard a key in the door to our room.

Seyari!

I got up quickly and practically threw the door open. Thankfully, Seyari was on the other side, rather than some unfortunate hotel staff member. I did, however, spot someone walking in the hallway over Seyari’s shoulder.

They froze after their eyes had passed over me. When they did a double take, I was wearing my human form. I waved and gave them a smile as Seyari brushed past me and into the room.

I noticed then that she was holding a book—one a good bit thicker than “A Beginner’s Guide to Magic” by Gertrude Hunter. After closing the door, I sat back down at the table, and Seyari sat right next to me.

“What’s that?” I asked.

Seyari put both of her pale hands over the cover. “A book.”

“Wait, really?” I leaned over and tried to get a look. “Huh, so that’s what one of those looks like. Weird.”

Seyari chuckled. “You’re impossible.”

“Statistically speaking, yes!” I beamed.

“What’s got you in a good mood, Renna?”

“Nerves, mostly. Things have gone… really well so far. All according to plan, and I’ve had some nice peaceful time to work things through. I’ve probably gone and ruined it by saying it out loud.” I pried at one of Seyari’s fingers, but a gust of wind batted my hand away. “I’m not going to get distracted though—I want to know what that is!”

Seyari stuck her tongue out. “I already told you.”

I groaned and covered my face with two hands. “I… walked right into that one.”

“It’s a novel,” Seyari replied seriously, lifting her hands from the cover.

I took a look at the book. The dark blue cover had the words “Voyage of the Crimson Petrel” written in a slightly curvy font pressed into the leather.

“’The Voyage of the Crimson Petrel,’ I repeated the name. What’s it about? A ship’s journey, I presume, but…”

Seyari stood the book up and stared at the title. “The librarian said it was an account of great adventure in the north, told from the perspective of a group of privateers who break their contract for noble reasons and sail for lands unknown. According to the author, it is a recounting by one of the former crew, though the librarian thought it was ‘mostly fantasy.’”

“What do you think?”

Seyari leaned back and swept her one-sided hair over her shoulder. “I have no idea! That’s why I want to read it. I’ve never heard of the ship, but apparently, the story is a century or so old, and comes from Cavenze originally.”

“If they get my island wrong, let me know!”

Your island?” Seyari laughed.

I crossed my lower pair of arms. “Yes, my island! I was the queen of that island… especially after the last demonic beast there died.”

Seyari covered her mouth as she continued laughing. “Of course! Sure, I’ll tell you.” She glanced again at the book in her hands. “Mostly, I want to see what it takes to write something like this. I doubt there’s any real information about the Lost Era in here, but it’ll be interesting to see how actual ship—and pirate—life is portrayed. I…” Seyari trailed off, shaking her head.

“You what?” I pressed. “You know you can tell me anything!”

“I can’t tell you that your horns look dumb.”

I gasped, grasping at my horns with my top two hands. “What—but—how could you possibly—”

“They don’t, by the way. They’re magnificent. Very you, Renna.”

“Aw!” I melted instantly. “Thanks, Sey.”

“We should get ready for bed, though,” Seyari announced suddenly.

“Is it that late?”

“No, but it will be.” Seyari gave me a salacious smile.

I flashed her one right back. “Seriously though, what were you going to say?”

Seyari stood up and huffed. “Nothing.” She started to walk toward the bathroom.

“Actually nothing? If it’s serious, I can drop it.” I followed her up and took a step after her.

She stopped. “It’s… don’t laugh, okay?”

I almost cracked a joke, but the edge in Seyari’s voice was… testing. Vulnerable. “I won’t,” I promised.

“I think I want to be an author. Tell my story—the abbey, the Inquisition, my life in Liseu, my failed relationships, our journey together. All of it.”

I cocked my head to one side. “Why would I laugh?!”

“I don’t know!” Seyari clenched her fists at her sides, the pose totally unlike her.

I walked over and embraced my fiancée. “I think that’s a wonderful Idea! I don’t know that I can really help, but I’ll let you bounce ideas off me.”

“Even the parts about us?”

“Especially those parts.”

Seyari sighed. “Why did I ever think you’d get mad at this like you get mad at Taava’s songs?”

“I… what?” I almost let go in shock. “I also have no idea why you’d think that. Taava’s just doing it to get a rise out of me.”

“Is she?”

Is she?” I repeated, suddenly worried. I’ll never know what they talked about, will I?

Seyari, for her part, only smiled candidly. “Don’t worry too hard. Do you think we can afford to break the bed?” She leaned up and kissed me.

I pulled back just long enough to take a breath. “No, I know we can’t.”

Seyari’s smile took on a wicked edge. “Sucks for us, then.”

***

Seyari woke up first, something that hadn’t happened of late. Not only had she been getting better sleep, but Renna usually woke up early. Even if she says she needs sleep, it’s probably just psychosomatic.

The three-quarters angel glanced over at the whetstone on the table and smiled. Behind it, stacked next to each other were two small books: one dark blue and another rust orange. I need to trust Zarenna more—fully even. I just… I haven’t done that since I trusted Mordwell.

Comfortable and warm, if a little sore, Seyari still had a need to get up and move. In her dreams she’d been flying, and that same floating sensation she’d felt so acutely when she’d made the mistake of flying with Zarenna lingered. She felt light in the bed, and more than a bit nauseous.

Unfortunately, like any morning she woke up first, she couldn’t leave. For all her lack of overt physical affection in public, Zarenna was clingy in the sheets. Seyari currently had four arms wrapped loosely around her torso and a thick tail twining her legs together.

If Seyari moved, there was a chance Zarenna would let go in her sleep and she’d get out. There was an equal chance she’d get pulled closer. A swift elbow to the boob or pressure to her tail tip usually roused Zarenna, but Seyari wanted to let her sleep today.

She’s been through a lot reliving all this. And I haven’t exactly helped—although last night went a long way.

So, instead of getting in a few practice swings with her soon-to-be-sharp sword, or a morning run, Seyari turned as best she could in Zarenna’s grip and stared up at the nature scene embroidered into the roof of the four-poster bed they shared.

At least it’s not a view from up high. After a while the floating sensation dissipated and Seyari closed her eyes again. I can feel her heartbeat. Just a few more minutes sleep.

***

I woke up to Seyari staring at me.

“Morning, Zarenna,” she said with a genuine smile.

“Morning, Seyari,” I replied. “Did I trap you again?”

She shook her head. “It isn’t trapping me if I want to stay here.”

Now it was my turn to smile. “Thanks.”

Seyari chuckled. “If it’s all the same to you, though, nature is calling me.”

“Pity, that.” I released her. I almost said something else, but I bit my tongue and just enjoyed the moment.

I also enjoyed Seyari’s backside as she sauntered over to the in-suite bathroom.

***

“You’re late,” Taava groused. “But I guess ya had fun!”

“Hm?” I raised an eyebrow innocently. If she won’t tell me what she did last night, I am certainly not going to tell her.

Taava stuck her tongue out, then pulled it back before Seyari’s hand chopped down in front of her. “We were actually just talking this morning, thank you,” the half angel huffed.

“Mostly,” I added cheekily, though a glance at Joisse stopped me from going further.

It’s not like she doesn’t know what I’m talking about.

“I think you two are cute together,” the other wrath demon mumbled.

I felt my cheeks heating up. I looked to Nelys for help, but they just giggled and pointed themselves back at their porridge.

Thankfully, Seyari changed the subject. “I probably shouldn’t be surprised we received a reply so quickly.” She placed the small, folded note on the table. “I assume you know where to go, Renna?”

I nodded. “I do, yeah.” Of course she’d want to go to the depths of the old fort. How much does she know? How did she find out?

“Where should we be, boss?” Taava asked.

“The note said to come alone,” I replied slowly.

“Yeah, and?”

Seyari grabbed my hand roughly under the table. “You cannot possibly mean to truly go alone.”

“I do though.”

Seyari looked at the others. Joisse looked away, unsure. Taava hissed.

Nelys, meanwhile looked up from their bowl. “Sey, I think Renna should go. It’s her sister, and she can take of herself.”

Seyari exhaled. “I will wait for you in the forest. Even if you tell me to stay, I will go that far. From what I saw that night by Mordwell’s estate, your sister is a hard woman, Zarenna. Whether or not you want to admit that, you must realize she could kill you.”

“I know,” I answered. “But she won’t. Not as a first option.”

“What if she has the church with her?”

I shook my head. “I doubt she will, and if she does, I doubt all of them could hide both their auras and their anger from me.”

“What if…” the next question died on Seyari’s lips. Instead of finishing it, she pulled me down and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. “If your sister kills you, I’m going to hunt her down to the ends of the world.”

“I understand.”

Seyari teared up. “You massive, reckless idiot.”

“I… I know.”

I glanced up just in time to see a wide-eyed Joisse look away quickly. Nelys had turned back to their bowl unconvincingly, and even Taava was sneaking glances.

I reached over and tugged Seyari toward me. The half-angel let out a surprised squeak and tumbled into my lap. I hugged her there, uncaring that we were in a semi-public space.

“I can’t promise I’ll be safe, but I can promise I’ll do everything in my power to make that true.” I whispered, my face close to hers.

Seyari hiccupped once, then forced down a mouthful of air. “That’s enough.”

“Thanks.”

“What are you going to do until the meeting at noon?”

I smiled honestly. “I thought I’d spend the morning with my friends. Show you all the city I grew up in.”

Seyari gave me another quick kiss. “I’d like that.”

In this chapter: Seyari teases a hobby, Zarenna reads a book, and Nelys eats some porridge! In all seriousness, though, Seyari is finally reflecting on her relationship with Zarenna, particularly how she's never been able to fully open up and trust her. Healthier relationship soon!

Also, if you like my work, you should really go check out Scales & Shadows!


If you want to read more, my Patreon has 20+ advanced chapters right now! There are also a few side and short stories!

If you want to chat about the story or just hang out, my discord is open to all!

49