Chapter 134: City out of Ashes pt. 2
690 10 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hello, Miss Miller,” King Carvalon said in a slow, deliberate voice. With a wave of his hand, he dispersed the knights to leave through side doors.

In moments, we were alone in the massive throne room. I bowed, hastily. I have no idea what the procedure for this is! I should’ve asked when I had the chance!

“Rise, Miss Miller, and come closer, if you would.”

I rose and met King Carvalon’s blue eyes. His face was lean and symmetrical, with a well-defined jawline, subtle nose, and clean complexion that matched his smooth chin and well-trimmed, neatly-parted blond hair. Really, he looked too young to fit with my image of a king, though the lines on his forehead gave some of his age away.

I walked closer, slowly. There was no place to sit, so I remained standing, looking up at him on his throne. My height did little to diminish the effect. In this room, I felt small, even if Carvalon’s choice of wardrobe didn’t quite have an atmosphere of overbearing regality. He wore a well-tailored red jacket, with white pressed pants, black shoes, and subtle accents of gold.

“How was your journey here?” he spoke almost casually.

I decided to act formal for now. I don’t know for sure what he’s involved with. “My—My king… truth be told, I encountered some difficulty on the road here.”

“What kind of difficulty?”

Shit! I can’t just tell him, but I also can’t lie to him!

“Demons. We barely managed to slay them.”

King Carvalon smirked. “I know what you are, Miss Miller.”

I stiffened. “Then, may I shed my human guise?” The oddly formal words tumbled out a little haphazardly. Truth be told, I didn’t mind my human form. I minded being stuck in it all the time.

“You may.” With another wave of his hand, King Carvalon dismissed the layer of tension in the room, only to replace it with a much more cloying atmosphere.

I carefully undid my transformation, noting that King Carvalon stayed silent, watching with almost rapt attention. He gave my form a passing glance up and down. In a way, any relief I should have felt warped into anxiety and barely-quelled fury.

“Fascinating,” he said drolly. “I am rather well-read on demons, and I am unfamiliar with a demon of your type with a transformation like yours.”

“I’m unique,” I replied stiffly. “If I may…”

“You may.”

“I am surprised you do not seem to hold the animosity I would expect toward a being such as myself.”

King Carvalon chuckled. “You are well aware of Edath’s historical beliefs, yes?”

I nodded.

“Good,” the King of Edath continued. “Then you should know I am no supporter of the Church of Dhias or their doctrine.”

Memories of the days leading up to my death replayed in my mind. Lord Carvalon working with the corrupt Inquisition within the Church. Something doesn’t add up. And the smirk on his damn face was making everything worse. I want answers.

“Then why,” I hissed, flames licking out from between my lips, “did you work with them? Why did you turn a blind eye to what they were doing?” The king started to interject, but I spoke over him, voice nearly a roar. “Are you an idiot—a puppet? How could you let them start the Great Fire of Linthel? How could you let them kill me and nearly everyone I held dear?!

My hands clenched into fists. Claws tore at the insides of my boots and I imagined the sharp tips punching cracks into the polished marble under my feet. Flames threatened to ignite off my skin, my uniform dangerously close to combusting. I stood there in front of a simple human king, panting in barely contained wrath.

King Carvalon waited for me to finish, and steepled his hands under his chin. “A mistake, Zarenna Miller.”

“A mistake?” I hissed dangerously, my eyes narrowed. He ignored my serious breach of decorum, but I was beyond caring.

“A miscalculation. I knew they were planning something. Quite simply, a sacrifice of that scale was not something I thought the Demon Cult of the corrupt former Inquisition would be bold enough to try. I am deeply sorry for the tragedy, and for the deaths of your family and friends, Zarenna Miller.”

“You don’t sound sorry,” I spat.

King Carvalon sighed. “I am, but I also must move on. The event did more than I ever could have hoped as a catalyst for revolution. The Edath of today is born from that tragedy. Which, rather neatly, brings me to why I’ve called you here today.”

I narrowed my eyes. After my outburst, most of my fear had gone, replaced with contempt. Who is this king, but a mortal man? I let him continue.

“Quite simply put, Miss Miller,” King Carvalon said with that same smirk, “you and I have much the same goals.”

What?” I hissed.

“The perpetrators of the Great Linthel fire and the bootheel of the Empire of Ordia: we want both of them gone.”

I opened my mouth to deny King Carvalon’s words, but… he’s not totally wrong. And he’s also changed the subject.

“Did you plan for the corrupt Inquisition, this ‘Demon Cult,’ to catalyze a tragedy?”

“I’d hoped to stop them. To gather the proof I needed of the Church’s corruption, I had a part to play: the fool. Perhaps, in my youth, I played it too well.”

Chin down, I stepped one foot forward, bringing it down hard onto the marble floor.

The king raised an eyebrow. “Are you truly so vindictive, Miss Miller?”

I took another step forward.

“I am but an unarmed, mortal man, you know. One swipe and I die.” Despite the king’s words, no fear entered his voice.

I stopped.

Carvalon smiled.

“Upon your death,” I started, struggling to control my own wrath, “what will happen?”

“An heir will be selected from amongst the nobility of Edath. Of course, there is quite a lot of contention between the faction loyal to the empire and those loyal to Edath itself.”

My breath hissed out of me like boiling steam. “And Ordia would not sit idly by during a chance to remove the limited autonomy the Ordian civil war granted Edath.”

This time, King Carvalon smiled for real, leaning forward in his throne. “That would go against their own treaty, but I must admit it would be a devastating blow should such a thing come to pass.”

Bastard. I kill him, and not only will everyone know I did it and that I’m a demon, but Edath would almost certainly plunge into war again. I play along for now, or my life being ruined is far from the only damage.

My jaw was set so hard it creaked, but I pried it open to ask one final question. “What do you want from me?”

“From you? Nothing, Miss Miller. Well, nothing you wouldn’t already do.”

I activated aura sight and checked King Carvalon. He had something on his clothing, and a rather strong aura coming from one of his hands, but nothing I could pick out as demonic. Not that I was an expert.

“As a king, my clothing is enchanted to turn most blades,” King Carvalon stated, answering my unasked question, “and to repair itself. What you see on my hand is a ring magicked to shield my mind from influence—demonic or otherwise.”

I realized only now that I couldn’t sense any anger from him. It was possible he simply held no anger, but I doubted my outburst would have sparked nothing in the frustratingly confident man. I could probably burn that ring out like Vivian’s amulet if I really tried.

“To be more precise,” the king continued, “I wish to help you.”

Help me?” I almost spat that I didn’t want his help, but I held my tongue. Hearing him out would be more information for me.

King Carvalon sighed. “Yes, help you. We have similar goals, remember? What better possible way is there for me to weaken the Church’s influence in this region than to welcome a demonic hero into our kingdom? A demonic hero who has risen, like this great city, out of the ashes of fire to seek not only justice, but peace in our time.”

“Word of your accomplishments in Lockmoth and Gedon is spreading, Zarenna Miller. Slowed by winter frost, and chilled by the wary hearts of our people, there is nevertheless a spring thaw coming. I wish for the simple, selfish gratification of aiding that thaw.” King Carvalon stood up from the throne and opened his arms wide.

I saw more than mirth in his smile and his bright blue eyes. I still don’t trust him. “Aiding how?”

“Great deeds should be recognized, Miss Miller. To that end, I have a humble, noble request, and some information you will find quite useful if your sister has not already apprised you of it. To the south, across the old pass, is an oft-forgotten part of Edath. The county of Southern Frost, Astrye. That is where the cultist known as Finley, the one who had you killed, has gone.

The city and county are controlled by the crown, but my duties in the wake of the civil war have left the territory woefully under-governed, although not without informants. Should someone, a hero of some sort, remove the Demon Cult’s influence in Astrye, it would only make sense to grant a noble title to such a kind soul.”

I blinked at the king; I hadn’t expected this. Mordwell went south, too. And Kartania wanted to tell me something. I can’t trust Carvalon, though.

“Marchioness Miller has a lovely ring to it, does it not? Demon noble of Edath. Influential, visible, legitimate: a source of resources you could easily use to continue going after the Demon Cult.”

“Why…” I took a pause to ensure my words were carefully selected. “Why would I continue after them beyond Finley?”

“If not out of the goodness of your heart, Miss Miller, I imagine you would have some other driving reason.”

A shiver ran down my spine. Does he know about Seyari’s past, too?

I thought hard about Carvalon’s offer. Really, it was too good to be true, right? There had to be something else with this southern region, some other reason he’d want me as nobility. Keep me close to control me, perhaps? Well, he was a fool if he thought I would bend the knee no matter what.

I lifted my head, pulled my tail straight, and crossed my lower arms under my chest. “What if I say ‘no?’”

King Carvalon shrugged. “Then I would be immensely disappointed. As I said, your goals are similar to my own, so I see no reason to disrupt your own personal quest so long as your methods remain acceptable within the laws of my kingdom.”

“So you’re looking for me to trip up.” I didn’t phrase it like a question, although my twitching tail tip may have given my lack of surety away.

“Miss Miller, if I wanted to antagonize you, I would not have granted you the discretion of a private conversation, nor would I have ignored your numerous disrespects.”

I glanced around the empty throne room. Just me and King Carvalon, a private audience as a first meeting. At the very least, I thought glumly, I’m actually useful to him in his mind.

Still, power and prestige were undeniably attractive. Ruler of demons I may be, but people? I would need experience, advisors, and time to decide.

“You’re using me,” I stated simply.

“Our goals align,” Carvalon repeated, deflecting my statement. “You are easily capable of following a lead without my blessing. If you refuse me today, you may change your mind later. My offer does not close once you exit this chamber. Think on it. Chase down your revenge if you must.”

I bit at my lip. Legitimacy. A king’s blessing to live openly. But, a yoke to tie me down. I thought of Seyari, of the life we planned to build together. It looked different through the lens of King Carvalon’s offer. But an estate in the south? A title and wealth?

I never thought of myself as materialistic, but truthfully, I missed a sedentary life. I missed the finer things, and things I never had a chance to even try. Like chocolate that hasn’t been ruined by steak.

So, I risked probing for more information. “Do you have any other details about Astrye or the best route to get there?”

“Do you have an answer?”

“Did you not say I could take time to decide?”

King Carvalon closed his eyes. “You have enough details to follow a trail. Without mutual cooperation, I cannot risk my position by aiding a demon in a one-sided arrangement.”

I called it. No deal.

“I’ll consider your arrangement, my King. And I thank you for your discretion as I seek to resolve the matter of a dangerous cult to the south.”

Still frowning, King Carvalon nodded nonetheless, taking his seat once again. “So be it. You are dismissed, and I do hope you reconsider my offer.”

“As I said, I will think it over as I embark on the next leg of my journey.” I bowed, hopefully formally.

“You may want to take on your human form, Zarenna Miller.” King Carvalon rang a bell that seemed to resonate elsewhere.

I shifted back quickly, just in time for the royal guards to return into the room to escort me out. I was still buttoning down my extra sleeves when I met with Seyari and Kartania in the vestibule. They wore oddly mirrored expressions of grim determination, and practically dragged me out of the castle ahead of our escort.

Even with both of them next to me, I walked as if in a daze. When the gates had closed behind us and we were well away from sight and hearing range, I finally felt my shoulders relax. For a moment, at least, and then the weight of what actually just happened crashed down onto me like a cart full of bricks. And I still don’t know for sure what side King Carvalon is on.

“What was that about?” Seyari hissed.

Inhale. Exhale. “King Carvalon knows what I am, which isn’t that much of a secret, I guess. He wants me to work with him in exchange for land and a title in the south.” I paused and straightened up out of my slouch. Glancing at my sister and fiancée, both of whom were looking at me with slivers of expectance peeking out from behind masks of frustrated indifference, I tried to put faith back into myself and what I was.

We both have our goals, Carvalon and I. So long as I give no reason, I shouldn’t be hunted. And if a fabrication is levied against me… a flash of Third Prince Malich’s head exploding between my hands brought morose comfort.

Seyari leaned in close while I held my breath, her golden eyes wide in a way I hadn’t seen in weeks. “Did you take his offer?”

I shook my head and exhaled slowly. “No. I stated that I intended to continue after Finley, but would consider his offer. He told me Finley had gone to Astrye, in the south.”

Seyari and Kartania both let out a long breath.

“Thank the gods,” Seyari sighed.

“Thank Dhias,” my sister exhaled.

Realizing what she said, Kartania looked up at me with a complex expression I couldn’t place.

I put my hands up placatingly. “I have nothing against Dhias personally. In fact, I think he doesn’t have much against me either. And no, I don’t know why.”

My paladin sister frowned. “I can’t understand that, but if he allows such rotten elements as the Inquisition to fester within his church, anything is possible. Did King Carvalon say how he got the information?”

“He said the area is crown land in absence of a noble, and he has eyes and ears there.”

Kartania nodded. “That makes sense. Astrye’s title never really had a holder after the war when the empire took Edath. He must be looking for a sympathetic butt to put on that seat.”

“A demon, though?” Seyari posited. “If he knew what you were, did he plan to hide it? Is he going to out you or send people after you for refusing?”

I shook my head, but stopped halfway through. “I’m… not sure. I don’t think so?”

Seyari stopped and balled her hands into fists. “You don’t think so?!”

Several people walking by stopped and stared at our group. Truthfully, we were already drawing eyes.

“We should find a better place to talk,” Kartania said, her own eyes on those watching us.

I nodded. “I don’t intend to renege on any part of what I said, but it might be best to keep agreed-upon secrets secret. Our room at the inn may be suitable.”

Kartania frowned. “Which inn?”

“The Knight’s Rest,” I answered. Funny how the fanciest inn in Linthel has a pun for a name.

My sister looked at me oddly. “Didn’t expect you to stay there. But visiting nobility and dignitaries often stay there, so it’s either well and truly private, or a brokerage for information.”

“I believe it to be the former,” Seyari said with an apprising nod at my sister’s caution. “I’ve checked already.”

I cocked my head to one side. “You have?”

Seyari chuckled darkly. “There’s a lot I do to keep us safe that you might not notice.”

I blinked. “Oh, thanks!”

Kartania’s mouth dropped open. “Really? You’re just okay with that?”

I nodded and pulled Seyari into an involuntary side hug. “Yeah, you heard earlier. Sey’s my fiancée, and even if that weren’t true, I trust her with my life.”

Seyari struggled for a moment, then accepted the public indignity of being hugged tightly. “Unfortunately, Renna always finds ways to get me back. Like this.”

Kartania’s serious expression shattered into giggles suppressed behind a gauntleted hand. “Alright you two, if I need to be the adult here, I will be. Now let’s go before we give these people a whole theater play.”

As we walked away, I let Seyari go and gave a bow to our impromptu audience, many of whom turned away quickly.

To be fair, the king wanting to tie Zarenna into some sort of plot is probably a lot better than trying to rally people to kill her. Right?


If you want to read more, my Patreon has 20+ advanced chapters right now! There are also a few side and short stories!

Also, consider checking out my other story, Scales & Shadows.

If you want to chat about the story or just hang out, my discord is open to all!

46