Chapter 140: Teacher, Partner, Daughter
678 5 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a stop at a secondhand clothing store that saw me walk out with a pile of men’s clothing that was still too short, we dropped everything at the Knight’s Rest to pack later. With the pass in its current condition and a very high threat of attack from demons, we opted to carry what we could, leaving the rest in storage with the Gelles Company.

This included my dress that Elena had made me back in Port Princely near the start of my long journey home, the one that Lilly had enchanted to repair itself. Were it more practical clothing, I would wear it all the time. Honestly, if not for Seyari reminding me how unusual it would be I’d probably still wear it all the time.

After a long discussion, as Sey and I prepared to leave, I put a hand on her shoulder.

“What?” she snapped tiredly. “We can talk about the dress more later if you really insist.”

I shook my head. “It’s not that.”

Our eyes met, and I saw her lips tighten. “Something serious.”

“Of a sort.” I scratched at one of my horns. “It’s about Joisse.”

Seyari regarded me carefully. “Well, go on.”

I sighed. This was a weird question to ask, so I decided to just go for it. “Sey, would you be okay if I, then we, adopted her?”

My fiancée blinked at me. “You’re serious.” She sighed. “I’d wondered if you’d see her that way. Gods know she’s latched onto you like family.” Her face softened even as she rubbed her brow with one hand.

“So… you’ll be okay with it?”

“I…” Seyari paused to gather her thoughts. “I won’t say it’s a simple or easy decision, and I won’t say it doesn’t make me a little nervous. I mean she’s practically an adult—is in a lot of ways. But…”

“But?”

“But I just thought back to my own childhood, or lack thereof. Were she anything other than a capable demon, I would refuse outright. Too much danger. But she’s already linked to us for good or ill. I expect you to protect her—more than you do already. If she wishes to live as a human, people will target you. What if you do become a marchioness, or at least widely known?”

“My enemies will try to use her to get to me.”

Seyari nodded. “I think she knows that, else I’d have had another reason to say ‘no.’”

“So we can then?”

“If it’s what she wants and needs,” Seyari replied. “I’ll leave the decision to you.”

I pulled Seyari into a quick hug. “Thanks, Sey.”

She leaned up and pulled my head down for a quick peck on the lips. “Welcome. Now let’s get going.”

We left the Knight’s Rest with me in better spirits. Unfortunately, I was still nervous about the conversation we were about to have with my former teacher, Bourick Gadson. With me were Seyari, Joisse, Nelys, and Taava. Kartania would be meeting us at the edge of town at dawn the next day.

Somehow, with my friends around me, I felt more nervous meeting Bourick now than I did the first time. Seyari squeezed my hand as I reached for the door.

I smiled down at her and knocked.

Above the “closed” sign, I saw a familiar face smile, and the door’s lock clicked open.

“You’ve got quite the group!” Bourick exclaimed, waving us inside. “Come in! The back room should be nice and toasty warm.”

As we followed the old smith back, I introduced my friends.

“I’ve already told you about my fiancée, Seyari.” I squeezed her hand for emphasis. “The others are Joisse, Nelys, and Taava.” I gestured to each of them in turn.

Joisse nodded her head politely, Taava struck a pose, and Nelys gave a hello in return. Given how everyone was bundled up, Nelys looked pretty much human—if you discounted the way their skirt sometimes moved under their coat.

True to Bourick’s word, the familiar back room was nice and warm, the windows cracked for air flow and a dull, almost hearth-like fire burned low in the forge. Odd tables and chairs had been set around in a half-circle, a bench in the middle for a table.

“It’s not much, but I don’t often have guests these days. Trust me when I say my home’s a bit of a mess. You can put your coats on the rack over there.”

We each did so, and Nelys earned a double take from Bourick that they returned with a wide smile and a wave of their tentacles.

“It’s lovely, Bourick,” I answered, sitting down in the sturdiest-looking chair and shedding my human guise. Lucky for me, this chair had an open back and my warm tail curled around over my feet.

“Ya should see the places she normally takes us!” Taava said cheerily, plopping herself down on a stool as the others all took their seats. “It’s all snow and ice and mud and vicious demons!”

“Taava!”

She stuck her tongue out at me and Seyari stifled a giggle. Aren’t you always on my side?

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Bourick,” Seyari extended her hand and shook the smith’s. “Zarenna’s spoken very highly of you, you know.”

“She has?”

Seyari nodded. “Your apprenticeship and your acceptance the other day both meant a lot to her, so thank you.”

Bourick’s smile spread across his entire face, deepening the crow’s feet near his eyes. “I’m glad I could help. There’s too much tragedy in the world.”

For a brief moment, I thought of Lorelei. And Aarsh. And Ruston. “Yeah, there is.”

“But what of you two?” Bourick continued after a nod in my direction, keeping the atmosphere chipper.

“Renna already told you, but I’m Nelys!” Nelys introduced themselves. “Renna’s helped me a lot, especially lately. She helped me get a body I’m a lot more comfortable in.”

Bourick raised an eyebrow my way.

“A contract,” I admitted, scratching nervously at a horn. “They wanted—”

“I wanted to be able to go on land easier, and I wanted to be more like a human!”

I nodded.

“Well, if you’re happy and healthy, I see no issue with it, though I’m afraid you lost me about the contract.” He shook his head when I opened my mouth. “I don’t need to know the details, Zarenna. It’s fine.” Bourick nodded at Joisse. “And what about you?”

“Zarenna took me in,” Joisse answered. “I’m a wrath demon, too. She helped me get my wrath under control, and gave me a human form like what I once had.”

“Are you happy with the arrangement?” Bourick ventured.

Joisse perked up. “Oh! Yes, I am. I’m just… thinking. And trying to keep control. Been doing a lot of both lately, sorry.”

““Don’t apologize!”” Bourick and I said at the same time.

Joisse giggled, and Seyari leaned against me with a smile.

“I can see where you got some things from now, love,” the half angel whispered into my ear.

I blinked. “Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“It’s pretty obvious!” Taava added.

I blinked again and looked around the room to a chorus of nods before I met Bourick’s gaze. He looked just as confused as I was, but after we gave mirrored shrugs, we laughed together.

The conversation was warm and pleasant. We talked mostly about the brighter aspects of our past: childhood stories and tales of adventure on the road.

Our conversation lasted through dinner and into the early winter night before the fire in the forge had gone down to coals and we parted, waving goodbye. My heart felt lighter; a connection between my lives old and new had been made.

Closer now than ever before I felt like the two might become one.

And part of that feeling was a desire to do precisely what I wanted to do. I very nearly walked back to the inn in my demon form, and when I told Seyari I was going out to get something from the company, I nearly did so again.

As I walked down the nearly-empty streets, I reveled in what I was. The comfort that it brought, knowing that so long as I kept vigilant, few things could truly harm me, was immense. Sleep was for when I wanted it; food was for when I desired its taste.

And the dress was for when I wanted to wear something I truly enjoyed.

“Oh, and Miss Miller?” the company clerk said as I went to retrieve my dress from our storage despite my agreement with Seyari.

“Yes?”

“A package arrived for you—a pair of shoes. They’re in with your other belongings.”

Shoes? Why do I instinctively know that Lilly is behind this? “Thank you,” I replied simply.

As they said, a pair of shoes lay neatly to the side of my folded dress. They had embroidered roses of ice blue against black leather. Coming nearly to a point at the toes, they were nevertheless solid-soled and flat. Ideal for walking.

No note was included with them. But I didn’t need one: like my dress, they bore the same enchantment. Thanks, Lilly.

I took the dress and shoes and walked quickly out of the guildhall, excited to stow them away for the morrow. As I passed through the square by the river, I noticed a long-haired individual sitting on a bench overlooking the river.

They weren’t dressed for the cold, and something about them seemed familiar. As I passed by, I recognized High Priest Yevon Styon watching the half-frozen river with a neutral expression. My jaw tensed and my shoulders felt suddenly bunched up. What could he want? Why here? Why now? I tried to act calm. Avoiding him wouldn’t work, so I stopped by the bridge.

He looked up, and with a thin smile, he patted the snow off the bench next to him. “Do you have a minute, Zarenna?”

“Do I have a choice?” I fired back, almost failing to keep my tone level.

Yevon shrugged, and I noticed he was wearing a simple tunic and trousers—not a church vestment in sight. “You always have a choice. It just doesn’t always matter.”

I rolled my eyes and sat down. “You could just ask like a normal person.”

“I could.” He stared down into the river, sparing a sidelong glance at the clothes I carried.

“What are you here for?” I asked icily.

“So cold! I’m here to give you good news, Zarenna. After much deliberation, the Church of Dhias has agreed to leave you alone for the time being, pending of course, on your continual adherence to our moral code. In short: don’t start acting like a demon and you’ll be fine.”

I nodded. “There’s more to this.”

“Indeed. In lieu of an expeditionary force, I think Paladin Miller’s a fine choice to go with you and to keep an eye on you for me. Some cried foul at the potential bias of your relationship, but I was quick to point out you were a demon and not her sister.” Yevon smiled conspiratorially, although his eyes stayed languid—almost bored-looking.

“I would have rather you were honest.”

“And I would rather we both get what we want, Miss Miller.”

“And that is?”

“An end to the demon cult within the corrupt inquisition.” Yevon stood and stretched.

“You’re just going to leave?” I spat.

Mid-yawn, the high priest cracked an eye open at me. “Do you want to spend a chill evening talking to me on a riverside bench?”

“It’s not like I need to sleep,” I retorted.

Yevon shrugged. “I assumed you would have better things to do.” He pointed at me. “But I do have one more piece of advice. Keep well in mind what would happen should you attack an upstanding member of the Church, let alone a hero of it.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Make sure I have enough evidence before I act to take down someone who isn’t widely known to be corrupted.”

Yevon chuckled. “More than that. The evidence must be overwhelming. Something that isn’t worth covering up. Keep that in mind, and good luck. I’d follow you, but business calls me elsewhere.”

“Where?”

Yevon raised the finger that he’d pointed at me to his lips, not even trying to hide a coy smile. “That is a secret. Enjoy the company of your sister, Zarenna. For the time being, I wish you well and the best of luck.” He turned and started to walk away, humming a hymn to himself.

I stood up to walk after him, but I stopped myself. Instead, I watched as he crossed the square and turned down a major street out of sight. No matter what he says, I feel like I shouldn’t completely trust him. Something about him always sent a chill down my spine.

But that he got the Church off my back made sense. I’d seen neither hide nor hair of the Church of Dhias’s minders since I left Gedon—and even if their presence was less here in Linthel, I had expected to see something.

I tried my best to shake off the odd feeling and focus on the warmth of the inn room waiting for me and the fiancée who’d yelp at me if I slid into bed without warming my claws first.

Here’s to hoping she’ll learn to live with me in this dress. Something told me any of Sey’s protests were going to be superficial.

***

The black leather shoes perfectly matched my dress, highlighting the black accents of the dark purple garment. I’d taken more time than was necessary to appreciate how the light blue of the embroidered thorned roses matched my eyes. Really, I looked like the villain of some fable, but I didn’t mind at all. Looking the part and playing it were quite different, and something I’d spent years at this point reconciling.

I joined hands with Seyari as we walked through Linthel with Joisse, Nelys, and Taava. I drew many, many looks, but I found that I didn’t care, and in no time flat we had reached the gate where my sister was waiting, fully armored despite the long march ahead. When she saw us, she stopped tapping her foot and stared.

“Sister, you cannot wear that.” Tania said after she picked her jaw up off the floor. “While I will not say it doesn’t look good on you, there is no way it is appropriate clothing to wear for a journey across a pass. Frankly, you look ridiculous wearing a massive pack and that dress.” She glared at Seyari.

My half-angel fiancée blushed and kept a hand over her mouth. “While…” Sey coughed. “While I said the same thing this morning, Renna made a very convincing argument.”

Tania rolled her eyes. “I don’t need to know about my sister’s sex life. Surely you’re going to change?”

I did a twirl, backpack and all, and shook my head, smiling at the giggles I got from Nelys and Joisse and the snicker from Taava.

“I always knew ya had some good style sense in ya, boss!” the kazzel said, leaning up to put a hand on my shoulder.

Kartania placed a hand over her face. “Sister—”

“The dress is enchanted. It will repair itself, and I am more than capable of moving around in it. As it is backless, my wings won’t get in the way and it is comfortable in or out of my human form. Plus!” I showed off one leg. “My shoes are actually well-suited to walking and if I need my claws, they will also repair themselves.”

Tania kneaded her brow. “By Dhias… Fine. If I cannot convince you now, do you at least have a change?”

I nodded. “Of course. Several.”

“Let’s not waste any more time then. Let’s go.”

Smiling giddily, I nodded, and soon the six of us were off, walking briskly down the road. We would be taking the main pass to Astrye avoid getting lost. Even if it was a longer distance, we would almost certainly gain time we would have wasted navigating the more ill-used route.

Soon after we left the city, Joisse pulled me aside.

“Hey, Renna?” she asked, using my nickname. “Could I—um…” she trailed off when she met my gaze. “Uhh, never mind.”

Frowning, I blinked at her. “Joisse it’s fine. You can ask me anything. Is it about your anger?”

“Yes! I mean, no. Not really.”

I nodded. “You really seem to have it under control these days.”

Joisse blushed. “Thanks. Look, I uh… oh, I don’t know how to ask this.”

“Ask what?”

Joisse glanced at Seyari, then back at me. “Will you… will you and Seyari adopt me?”

I knew some of my surprise made it back through our contract to Joisse.

“I’m sorry I asked. Never mind—just pretend you didn’t hear it. I’m basically an adult anyway, and a lot of parts of me are probably adult and—”

“Joisse.” I gripped her shoulder and she looked up at me with wet, red eyes. “I’d love to. I’m just worried I’m not ready—I wouldn’t know how to be a good mom.”

“You have already…” Joisse mumbled and my heart swelled.

“Have I?”

“Eep!” Joisse covered her mouth quickly, and I had to help her anger, just a little. After a deep breath, she whispered. “You heard that?”

I flicked one human-looking ear. “Demonic hearing. You have it too.”

Joisse nodded, biting her lip nervously. “So, does this mean… It’s probably a really strange request but…”

“I can’t replace human Joisse’s mom,” I said bluntly, the honest words almost painful as they left me and slammed into Joisse.

She shook, but I caught her, even as her eyes filled with tears. Ahead of us, Kartania called for a stop, and the others gave us space. I doubt Joisse noticed. For a while I held her.

Eventually, she spoke, her voice soft and vulnerable. “I know. But I want someone. I didn’t even know that until I started seeing you. Like her at first but then… like you. I shouldn’t…”

“Do you want me to be your mom?” I asked, wording what I said very carefully. “Your mom Zarenna?”

Joisse nodded, near instantly, and hugged me tighter.

I hugged her back. “Can you say it out loud?”

After a few breaths, Joisse replied. “I want you to be my adoptive mom, Zarenna.”

“If that’s the case, I accept.” I squeezed Joisse tightly as she shivered in surprise. “We’ll get paperwork done when we can. But we don’t need it.”

“M-mom?” Joisse asked tentatively.

“Yes, Daughter?” answered as confidently as I could.

“Thanks.”

I rubbed Joisse’s hair and hummed. “You’re welcome.”

For a while we embraced as demon mother and demon daughter, and when the two of us stood back up, there was a light in Joisse’s eyes that hadn’t been there before. When we resumed walking, she moved with a bounce in her step.

Daughter acquired.


If you want to read more, my Patreon has 20+ advanced chapters right now! There are also a few side and short stories!

Also, consider checking out my other story, Scales & Shadows.

If you want to chat about the story or just hang out, my discord is open to all!

46