Chapter 42 Case 7 Part 1
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

June 20th, 1921

It has been two days since Lucia returned from Washington, holding a copy of the executive order. That official authorized the creation of the Bureau of Supernatural affairs. With it is organization already happening as Lucia had already roped all but a few of her employees into joining. She also had started a massive recruitment drive that was allowed. As she left Washington with well over half a million dollar starting fund, to add to her company's 250 dollar budget she had added from weapons sails. Which had just started coming in a few days ago. 


As weapons were already being delivered to their buyers. Since factories had been built long before the weapons demonstrations happened.

Though it will take a few days for the results to show, as it would take time to vet and train the new recruits. Leaving Lucia somewhat understaffed for their current task. Due to the casualties suffered in the ambush. Though this does cause Lucia to make a mental note, to hire a staffing department to get that particular job off her plate.

Though besides handling recruitment efforts. Lucia has also been going through several reports from her research staff, tasked with going through the books found. Lucia found herself jealous, for getting the first crack at going through them. However, the reports make her realize that she is most certainly in the minority.  As several of the reports had Lucia worrying if the writer had been having a stroke while writing them. As they were atrocious, to the point that portions were nearly ineligible.

Lucia was tempted to tell them to write it again. Seeing one of them shaking like a leaf while reading a book. When she went to ask for clarification. Changed her mind as she pitied them and also confused her. As she didn’t quite get what could have been so scary.  

Either way, from the patchwork of reports that Lucia had gotten from the books. The reports had some information that could be useful, well only one major lead. That being the name Cantrope, which showed well over a dozen times in the reports. Along with several ideas on what the monsters she faced were. Which were that they were a type of summoned horror. Though beyond that, her researchers' lack of education in occult magic was apparent. Which was to be expected of them. As none of them had any experience with the supernatural before this job.  It would have been somewhat worrying if they had known about occult magic, as that meant that Lucia and Moody had failed in their vetting process.

Though Lucia didn’t mind the fact that the reports contained little usable information. As Lucia can always go through the books herself to get the information. The information that they did get, however, was very useful and was a major lead to look into. As Lucia can guess, Cantrope is some deity.  As his name is used as the source of magic in the spells that had been improperly put into the reports. As they were copied word for word onto them. Which was something that Lucia should discuss with them. As copying indications as they had (word for word) isn’t the smartest of ideas.  Though if they did copy the spells down properly, then Lucia could begin to understand the reason for the god's awful handwriting. As they were quite a nasty summoning and necromancy spells. Particularly aimed at summoning cave dwellers, which were often the most hideous. Lucia could only imagine whatever sketches of them were in the book. The worst spell that was included was the one for the unusual summoned horror, which disgusted Lucia a bit. So she could only imagine what her agents are feeling as they are going through the reports. Causing her to conclude, which leads her to pause reading one of the last reports given.

“Ah, I should probably get around to hiring a psychologist,” Lucia mutters to herself as she writes herself a note. She tacks onto a to-do board, before turning back around to continue reading the report. Though as she reaches for the paper. A knock at the door causes her hand to pause, as her eyes travel upwards. Reaching the door, she lets them in with a brisk answer. Taking the few split seconds before the door opens to put away the report. 

Which she can do, before the door swings open. Reading, agent Moody. Who is holding two folders containing several pieces of paper?

“Good afternoon Will. What do you have for me?” Lucia says as she points him to a chair. Which he sits in as he gives his greeting.

“Well, I have the information of several of the dead gunmen. Though we weren’t able to identify most of them. With even fewer with up-to-date information. Though we did get several addresses for family and more importantly.  We were able to track down the current address for two of them. Both of which are in New Bristel and both are apartment buildings. Along with a decent profile of them. Though other than that, we haven’t been able to identify most of them yet. With even the ones that we have been able to. We haven’t found much other than their names and some basic information. None of which are current information on them.” As he says that, he sets the two folders down on the desk. One of which Lucia opens, to reveal a mugshot of the man on the right side of the folder. With his personal information on the left.

Which Lucia skims through. To reveal that up until around three years ago.  The man was a petty crook from Boston. Having been arrested nearly half a dozen times over five or so years. With the last arrest being three years ago on robbery charges. Though instead of jail time, he was given probation.  Hence the reason for Lucia knowing his current address. A quick look through the other folder revealed that the other man was also on probation. For similar reasons as the first man.

After skimming through both, Lucia looks at Moody, “How soon can we get both searched, also how many addresses of relatives were we able to find.” She asks, to which Moody takes a moment to think.


“We can be ready by this evening or tomorrow morning, depending on whether we want the police to help or not. For the second question, we have the address of five of the Gumens families.” Moody answers.

“We need the police's assistance, as we don’t have the manpower. Then can you send people to the family's homes to see if we can get any information through them?” Lucia responds as William only affirms with a sure. Before swiftly leaving the room. Leaving Lucia to sulk at the lack of information that was found on the gunmen. She was annoyed at the lack of information and more than a bit envious of the technology she had in her past life. That could have easily made gathering information easier. Though she, unfortunately, has no training in forensics to be of any assistance. Though she did get a kick out of feeling envious of her past self. In a somewhat self-deprecating manner. 

Though Lucia didn’t have the time to sulk, she got back to work by going through reports. After she put away the new files on the suspects. Something which she spent the rest of the day on. Only being interrupted by Moody once, before she was about to leave. Of the approval to search the two apartments, with the support of police tomorrow. Which, while great news, still left Lucia sulking on her drive back home, as she sulked about having to miss out on them. As she was stuck with the oh-so-important job of paperwork. Something that Lucia views as one of the greatest annoyances in life. 


June 21st 1921

While Lucia’s day had started mostly normal, that is until reports of one of the teams searching one of the apartments was ambushed by several armed neighbors arrived on her desk. Leading to the search of the entire property and the eventual discovery of a small arms cache in the basement. Though thankfully no one was killed by the armed neighbors. Though Lucia did silently curse paperwork and administrative responsibilities for missing the action.  Something that she endeavors to try and not allow paperwork from preventing. Though she can take solace in having heard the retelling of the raid from Moody. Which was quite entertaining. 

0