Chapter 44 Case 7 Part 2
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

June 23nd, 1921

It's been two days since the raid and despite the amount of evidence found and the capture of several suspects. No concrete information has been found. With the interrogation of the landlord, going poorly. With him refusing to give any information. He was later found dead in his cell. Having been found by a guard to have hung himself. Something which truly confused most as to what led to it. Even Lucia was slightly put off, though. She realized that considering the circumstances around the incident at Blair's house, and the cultish vibes it gave off. That she should have known that something like this was a possibility.  Though she would not let the mistake repeat itself with the other captured prisoners. Though they didn’t seem to have anywhere near the amount of information that Hayes did.  Which was quite a blow to the investigation. Though one that could recover from. As the documents in Hayes' rooms gave several promising leads to follow. 

 One of which was the man that he was in contact with through letters. That being Ethan Fletcher, who upon some investigation, turned out to be the owner of a gentlemen's club in New Bristel. Which is rather blandly named the New Bristel social club. 

Though it is far from well-known, despite its supposed aim at the wealthy. It took a while for Lucia to find it outside of the letters. Which would have been odd if it wasn’t for the fact that she felt like she had to make it known that it was for the case. Due to the odd looks, she would get before she clarified the matter. To which a vindicated look usually crossed through their expression. With some more vocal about their thoughts than others.  Leaving Lucia with the clear picture that the place is looked on with thinly veiled suspicion. Suspicion of what exactly? That was less clear, with accusations of everything from bootlegging to devil worshiping and everything in between. Though no two stories were ever the same. Though Lucia sadly only personally interviewed city officials and several of the owners from other social clubs. Who didn’t say much to it, other than the facts? Leaving their thoughts, personal. Leaving Lucia to learn of the rather fantastical stories from William and Thomas’s reports.

Though the reports did paint a rather interesting picture. One that she should look into personally, though not alone. Since after the format creation of the Bureau, the pressure to hire some sort of bodyguard has grown substantially. As her boss, the Attorney General made some comments on the matter just before she left. Joining the pressure that her parents have been putting on her since the incident in Bourne. 

So she has given and gone through her family's connections she has chosen one to interview. An interview is going to happen fifteen minutes from now. An interview with a man that to her embarrassment is one that she is frankly unprepared for. As she had left most of it to her parents. Who were all too happy to get her to let them handle it. Something that has left her with a rough idea of who she is about to meet. 

His name is Alexander Bronkhorst, and according to Lucia’s parents, he is a South African Mercenary that has been under the pay of the Belladras family for the past few years. Doing a variety of tasks, including security details of executives of the company in foreign business dealings. Though Lucias is surprised that they would recommend a mercenary instead of a bodyguard. Lucia does concede that considering her line of work a mercenary would be better for her. As their duties and risks would be much more than the typical bodyguard would. So it may be better to get an atypical bodyguard for an atypical person. 

As Lucia stews in thought at the upcoming interview, a light knock is heard at the door, barely heard over the receptionist “Mr. Bronkhorst, is here.” Lucia takes a moment to take a breath and make a mental note about hiring a secretary. As despite how helpful the receptionist has been acting as a pseudo-secretary in the past. That won’t work anymore due to the increased workload for both positions. Though is for later as Lucia responds “Come in,”.

The door then opens with the receptionist opening the door for the prospective hire. A man about 5’7 with dark brown hair, who while clearly in shape. Is not overly muscular in appearance but a rather average appearance. Though Lucia can’t help but seem surprised by her parent's pick. The man is wearing a rather interesting as he is wearing a rather nice suit dress with a pistol holster visible. It is located on his left breast, with the holster tilted to the right side for easy access. There is another holster attached to the man's hip, with a third most likely attached to the man's leg, Though it is hidden by his pants. Both of the pistols are Lugers, which isn’t too surprising. In the man's hand is a leather jacket, which he throws across the back of the chair. Ignoring the coat hanger that was available next to the door. Though Lucia doesn’t bother to mention it when she introduces herself. “I am Lucia Belladras, you are Alexander Bronkhorst,”

Causing him to stop moving the chair and finally acknowledge her, “Yes, though I prefer Bron or Alex. He says, with a slight Dutch accent as he sits down in the half-turned chair. His eyes scoured the room, looking at anything but her. Lucia takes the initiative before he tries to get the booze himself.

“Would you want something to drink?” Lucia says, Alex, eyes her. “Whisky, any type.” He says, not bothering to ask what she has offered. Though thankfully for him, Lucia is a bit of a whisky drinker. So she grabs the bottle that is in her desk's bottom drawer. It's a scotch that she swiped from her parent's house some time ago.

She pours two glasses, passing one to Alex, before taking a sip. Alex meanwhile looks at the glass half filled, before he looks up, “Do you have any ice?”, He tries to ask, but is quickly cut off by a scoffing Lucia, “This isn’t a saloon, you're luckily I have whisky, to begin with.” 

Alex waves his hand as he takes a sip. “Your right, anywho your parents tell me that you need a bodyguard.”

At this Lucia pauses, before speakings, “Yes, did they say anything else, also do you know why they picked you,”

Bron smirks at that, “Well, they said that you require a bodyguard for a person with a rather unique job.”

Lucia nods, “That's correct, what are your qualifications, as a polite personality  is certainly not one of them.”

Alex takes a moment to laugh at the joke before going into his impressive list. With it including everything that a veteran mercenary should have, weapons skills of a large variety of weapons, and hand fighting. Along with a variety of other skills such as intelligence gathering, bodyguard skills, and a variety of other skills. Making his past employment in the Belladras family clear. He was most likely one of the family's operatives that handle the family's dirty business. Alongside the occasional role as a bodyguard, if a member of the family or company leaves the country.

The list is quite impressive if he wasn’t so highly recommended by Lucia's parents and his behavior she would have doubted him more.

“Quite impressive, though it seems that you already had a good job working for my parents why accept this job?” Lucia inquired, curious at his motive for applying.

“Alex takes a moment to think, “Your right, my last job was good, and the pay was good, but I figured that the pay for this job would be better. Also, I wanted a change of pace, my past job had gotten quite stale.”

“So you wanted more excitement,” Lucia inquired, trying to expand on the answer.

“Yes, as excitement and action are why I got into the job. Well, that and the money of course.” Alex says, the last part offhandedly.

Lucia still smirking starts, eager to know how he will react to the supernatural aspect part of the job. “Well that's good, this job will certainly not be dull. Though let me tell you the details of this job. Along with the expectations and responsibilities of this job. Firstly with the job, you will be my bodyguard not my head of security. Someone else handles that, and you will work with them. They are not your boss though, though I am. So they can not give you orders, though it would be better if you got along. Your duties are to act as my bodyguard 24/7. So you will be given a room in my home, and you will also act as my driver.  

When I am at work, there will be times that I work in the field, going into dangerous scenarios. I am not a damsel in distress, I know how to fight. So you will not act as a typical bodyguard but instead a guard who will act as a second eye and ear. When I may be distracted, along with following me into any operations. Though your main job will be my protection. Besides ensuring that I stay alive, there are no other responsibilities. When I am in the office you will be training as I do not need someone hovering over me when I am here. Though some things will only be discussed after you accept the job and sign the contract

Lastly onto my expectations, while we are in private I will be lenient on how you act. However when we are in meetings or on the field. You will act accordingly and at least try to be polite. Along with the proper attire.

Though let me warn you. As it will soon become clear if you choose to accept this job offer. This job will most likely be the most dangerous job you have yet to face. Any questions so far.”

Alex gives a simple no, though from the look on their face it seems he has guessed or hopes that pay is next. Which it is, though Lucia still sighs from the look, a mix of greed and excitement, plastered on his face. 


“Now on to pay, as this job is very dangerous the pay will be just as high. However, the first year will be a sort of trial period to see if you can handle the responsibilities. Is that alright?”

Alex seems curious at the decision thinking for a second before speaking, “Several questions, what do you mean by trial, why is it needed and how much of a difference in pay will there be.”

Lucia nodded at the rather blunt list of questions. Something that she found refreshing due to the nature of her job and her family is, “The trial isn’t necessarily for your skills rather it is because of the unique nature of my job and the unique dangers of it. I apologize for being cryptic but that is something that will be discussed after you accept. Though the next question, I can answer better.

There will be a rather large difference, though don’t worry the starting pay is still very good. The reason that I will not be paying you in full is that after you complete your trial year, during which you are free to leave at any time, after which you will be asked if you wish to continue. If you agree, you are put into a five-year contract. Does that make sense? Also, there is a large signing contract.”

Alex nods at that, “That makes sense.” He simply states.


Continuing onward Lucia speaks, “ The first year salary would be ten thousand dollars, with all personal costs covered. That being medical and lodging costs. If you make it through the first and agree to sign the contract the salary will double to twenty thousand with a signing bonus of five thousand.” 

At this Alex nearly falls off his chair flaying his arms around in shock. While trying to not drop his glass which did not happen. Though he did spill some of it onto the floor.

When he got his arms under control he nearly shouted. “Where do I sign.” 

Not surprised at his eagerness, Lucia opened up the folder on her desk with the hastily put together employment firm along with an NDA form that was put together by government lawyers for all employees, contractors, and those that Lucia had to inform of the Beuro. Alex would fall into the second. The first was the contract for his first year of employment which was in a nutshell everything Lucia said put on paper with some more lawyer jargon mixed in.

Alex to Lucia's surprise did not rush to sign as he seemed to but instead, he read through the paper. Rather fast, yes but he did read it fully. Before signing, then did the same for the NDA, though he read it a bit slower and Lucia did notice his eyebrow go up a bit. Though he did not comment and swiftly signed it as well. 

Lucia then picked both up and put them back in the folder, closing it afterward. 

“So now that you signed, so I can now give you some more details on the unique dangers of this job. Along with some rather new developments that even my parents are unaware of. “

Lucia then informed Alex of the supernatural part of the job and the Bureau both of which surprised him. Though the supernatural part seemed to make him even more excited, he was somewhat annoyed at the involvement of the job.

Afterward, they spoke for another ten minutes, with them talking about some of the finer details of the job before leaving to pack his job. As he is to move in this night. As he will be needed tomorrow when Lucia pays Ethan Fletcher a visit at his gentlemen's club.

0