Chapter 6: First Case Part 2
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

May 16th,1920

 

The next day after getting ready by dressing for the job in which for Thomas is a 3 piece business suit which wouldn’t stand out in the current time period . While Lucia wore a dress shirt and suit coat and a ‘combat skirt’ or so she says.  That she had custom made by her family's personal tailor. Though she has also prepared a nice pair of slacks as well.  Which led to an unusual set of attire in the early 20th century. Though Lucia’s lifestyle is quite out of place in the early 20th century. Though no one will say anything about it because Lucia comes from a rich family and most ordinary people don’t try to understand some of the more eccentric behaviors of the wealthy because they just don’t find it to be worth their time to do so. The two of them then spent some time planning their day out, before driving out to city hall (just to clarify, they had their chauffeur drive them around so they could discuss the case without having to worry about driving and talking. Though they both can drive if they have to.) to pick up the key and the information on the office building.  The drive took 15 minutes since even though there was minimal traffic to worry about, Lucia’s home and city hall were on opposite ends of the city. 


The car that they took is an imported Rolls Royce luxury car that has a nice leather interior and is a stereotypical car for the rich and famous of the 1910s and 1920s. They also have brought a truck that can carry any items that they buy and store it in that car. Though Lucia doesn’t think that they will have to use it before they have secured the office. 

 

When they finally arrived at city hall, the two of them stepped out of the car and briefly looked at city hall, which is a medium sized brick building that was built shortly after the city was incorporated. It has 4 floors and it has a style that is somewhat reminiscent of Colonial New England structures but also the relatively newer Victorian style architecture. It is then surrounded by several public parks on one side of it and on the other is a small area for dropping off people and a parking area for cars or previously carriages, though it has started to focus more on car parking since the the beginning of the 1910s. There still is still some parking for horse drawn carriages. Though Lucia has heard that there are plans to phase it out by early 1922. Due to it being deemed outdated and unused.


After shaking her head to stop looking in wonder at the building. Lucia turned to the driver and asked him to wait until they got back. She then joined Thomas who had already started walking towards the entrance of the building. Which is a large set of two doors that lay below a large sign that says New Bristol Town Hall.  Walking inside shows a cleanly lit room that has smooth stone floors, several reception desks are present and manned by receptionists.  Lucia was the first one to arrive.

 

“Hello I am Lucia Belledras, the mayor had something that he wanted us to get from you.”
The receptionist then looked up and then got a package that was most likely on the receptionist's desk, just out of view from where Lucia was standing. 

 

“Here it is and the Mayor wanted me to tell you thank you again for accepting the request.” The receptionist politely stated. 

 

Lucia then nodded and then joined Thomas who was waiting by the door already.  The two then returned to the car and started heading to their next stop, which was the gunshop to which Lucia had insisted that they get several guns to be on the safe side. Though it took some convincing Thomas to agree.

 

“Why do we need guns? At best we could just send one of our people to get it. Wait, have we hired anyone yet? Or better yet doesn’t your family own a gun company that produces guns in mass”  Thomas asked inquisitively if not in a snobish tone

“Why would we need to hire anyone, the two of us shall be enough to kill or do whatever is in that building. Also it is faster to get guns at the gunshop than to try and place an order from my company. Though in the future that is where we will be getting the majority of our weapons from.” Lucia said as if she thought the answer was a no brainer.

 

“Wait hold the fuck up, did you just say that we are the ones going into that abandoned building! As well as the people that are going to investigate and possibly kill whatever animal is in the building!” Thomas said, almost shouting. The thought of him personally investigating the building never crossed his mind. Since he believes that such menial labor is beneath him because he can afford to hire. 

Though he had begun to realize the scope of the differences in what they imagine their company will be investigating. As Thomas imagined that they would do something akin to auditing or other investigating for the wealthy. He had just begun to realize just how naive he was when it came to Lucia and her plans. In short, Thomas has read a bit too much Sherlock to have an accurate opinen on what the job will entail. Which is also why he choose such strange degrees in college. 

 

Lucia then tilted her head as she looked at him for several seconds while processing what he had just said.

 

Wait, why is he reacting like this, wasn’t it obvious that it is the two of us since why would we start a private investigative business if we weren’t going to do the hard work and instead just hire people to do it for us. I guess someone of Thomas’s political and social status would view menial labor as being beneath him. But this isn’t menial labor, this is monster hu. Oh I forgot that he thinks that it is just a regular animal and it has probably never crossed his mind that it is some sort of monster. But how am I supposed to tell him that there might be a monster if he doesn’t believe in them? Oh well, I guess they say that seeing is believing. I don’t think whatever we face will be that scary. 

 

After Lucia collected her thoughts before speaking. “ I thought that was obvious, though you're right we should hire some help soon since we can’t do everything. But I think for this case, the two of us should be enough since it will be a good lesson for you. On how even though you're rich, in this business we are both going to get our hands dirty.”

“Ok I get it let's look at the paper about the building” Thomas said trying to change the subject as well as taking a mentally scolding himself for assuming anything when it comes to Lucia as she is likely thinking something totally different than what he is. While making the mental note to remember that this will definitely not be the last mental shock he will receive in this case.

 

“Sure thing,” Lucia says as she opens up the folder that has all the official documents relating to the building as well as a few newspaper blurbs that the mayor put in to help us. Since it is doubtful that there would normally be newspaper blurbs in it. 


Opening up the Folder several things stick out to Lucia, one being the last owner of the building, the firefight that happened with the police and the cult that the owner had. 

 

The first document is the basic details of the building.

 

Office Building ( No original name)

Year Built 1900

Stories: 2 and a basement 

Square feet: 8,500 above ground, 3500 sq ft basement.

Total Square feet: 12,000

 

 Besides the basics the sheet has some other basic information on the building but Lucia just skims through it before looking at the next sheet which labels the document of sale for the first time which is to a person named Salvador Johnson, who appeared to lead a cult called the Brotherhood of Salvador Johnson.  

 

The cult which had formed a year before the building was purchased. The building was then owned by Salvador Johnson until a police investigation was launched to investigate allegations that Salvador and his cult were kidnapping and killing people. There had been around 5 kidnappings that Salvador was suspected of committing, but it wasn’t until a cult member was witnessed attempting to kidnap a 15 year old girl on the way back from school. That was thankfully foiled by a police officer that was patrolling the area.  Which then caused the police to launch a raid to arrest them and search the building for evidence of other crimes. All of that information was from a police investigation that was attached to the form. Though Lucia did momentarily pause to wonder where the mayor had gotten the police files. Considering the chilly relations between city hall and the police. Though she decided to not think about it too much and continue reading.

 

The next document is a news clip in which it describes a shootout in which 6 cultists and 3 cops were killed in a shootout that occured when the police attempted to perform a search warrant and the cult panicked and opened fire. Then later while the police were searching the building several bodies were found that had been badly mutilated and were nearly impossible to be identified. So because of that the fates of most of the kidnapped victims are unclear as only 7 out of the 10 were found.  With the 3 remaining victims never being found and presumed dead. What is more disturbing is that at the time of the raid, most of the cult had already left the office, including the leader of the cult Salvador Johnson. Which has led Lucia to come up with a few speculations.

 

 So it seems that the cult may still be active with someone nearby, I guess that is something that we should put on the to do list. Though that can wait until this case is finished and we bolster our manpower. As I don't think that Thomas and I can take down a cult on our own. 

 

 The two private detectives then spent the rest of the car ride talking about what they have read and what they make of it. To which Thomas believes that the current incident has nothing to do with the cult while Lucia thinks that they shouldn’t disregard it so soon and keep all options open until they can find more evidence to either prove or disprove an option. 

 

That continued until they reached the gunshop which is a one story brick building that has a bit of parking in front of it. In the form of street side parking. The two Private detectives then walk into the door, hearing a bell go off as the door opens. The shop owner who is sitting at the desk looks up and greets the two customers. “ Hello, what can I do for you?” 


“Yes, we would like to purchase several guns, '' Lucia says while looking around the shop. Which is filled with guns and ammo and pretty much anything gun related. She then realizes how much she will miss the guns that she used to use. With the utility and customization that they offer,  As well as the fact that she will be stuck with bolt action rifles and shotguns this year and not have any submachine guns until the Thompson comes out to the public. Which is in a year or so. Though the shotguns and pistols that are available will be due. Since there are still some decent guns around at the time. Such as the M1911 which Lucia has experience using as well as the shotguns the Browning Pump action and Browning Auto 5. Which are both good shotguns, but due to Lucia’s small physique, having a semi automatic shotgun would be easier to handle.

 

It would also be a good idea to use a shotgun for this mission as it will be in a building and at extreme close quarters. So she decides to buy a Browning Auto-5 shotgun. As well as a 1911 handgun.

 

Thomas meanwhile decides to get an American M1917 Enfield. Which was against Lucia’s suggestion of also getting a shotgun. Which he argues won’t have enough power to kill whatever animal that is in there. So he decides to get a larger cartridge that can be used to hunt big game animals. Though he does agree to also get a M1911 as well. 

 

Besides  their own personal weapons, they get some spare revolvers, rifles and shotguns as well as a shit load of ammunition. So that they can be prepared for whatever situation they might encounter.

After settling the bill the two walk outside and order their servants with them to start to load the car with the spare weapons while Lucia teaches Thomas quickly gives some tips on how to use the weapons. Though Thomas already knows how to use a weapon since Lucia had taught him as one of her sneaky lessons to prepare him for fighting monsters. Then after that was done and everything was loaded into the car, they were finally ready to visit the office building to which they had plenty of time before the sun set, since it is only around 3 P.M.


So with that they set off from the gunshop and started driving to the office building where Lucia will experience her first field mission in this world and Thomas will experience something that will change his life forever. Though it is unknown if it will be for the better or worse.

1