Chapter 28: Case 4 Part 3
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Lucia and the group finished planning they left their inn room and separated into their different groups and went to their own cars before driving off to the destinations that they had been assigned by Lucia. 

 

The first place that she and Thomas had gone is the local police station which is where Officer Nolan told them the address. The drive there from the hotel took around five minutes. The police station is a medium-sized building that is made out of bricks and wood. 

 

There is a small parking lot in front of the building in the form of street-side curb parking. That is mostly filled with police cars though there are several areas open. One that Lucia takes when she parks the car before she and Thomas exit their car and make their way inside the police station.  They had brought with them a notebook to take the story

 

They immediately made their way into the police station, where the two of them walked in and they immediately saw the familiar Officer Nolon. Who was seemingly waiting with a bunch of papers? Most likely about the case.  Officer Nolan seems to have been working in the reception area and had just taken the opportunity to gather the documents for the past cases of missing people and the dead bodies found. 

 

As the door opened officer Nolan looked up and went to greet Lucia. Though she realized that she hadn’t introduced herself before him. “Hello, Officer Nolan, I realized that I haven’t introduced myself, I am Lucia Belladras and my colleague is Thomas Bradson.” 


Officer Nolan paused for a minute when he realized the same thing that Lucia did before responding. “ I thought you had introduced yourself but either way, it's nice to be finally introduced. Anyway, I got permission from the Chief to give you the files though they have to stay in the building.”

 

  At that notion, Lucia and Thomas nodded and walked toward officer Nolan. Lucia then grabbed the paper at the top of the pile and started to read it. Thomas likewise grabs a paper from the pile on it. They then begin to go through the paper. While they are doing so Lucia asks the officer. “ After this, there is any way to ensure that we have permission to go to the morgue to look at the bodies that were recently found. To see if I can get anything from their body relating to how they died. 

 

“Sure that wouldn’t be an issue, though I will have to double-check that through my boss. So I’ll ask while you go through the papers. Call if anyone comes in.” Officer Nolan says rather naively as he leaves the room to presumably his boss's office. Though Lucia and Thomas keep going through the files. Until the officer returns around ten minutes later. 

 

“You have persimmon to the two bodies that are in the morgue under the supervision of the Pathologist Though you will be limited to looking and observing.” Officer Nolan says as he returns to his seat behind the reception desk.

 

 Lucia and Thomas then spend the next hour looking through the files which cover around three dozen disappearances and murders of a variety of people ranging from children to adults. Along with those of all walks of life though, one observation Lucia does make is that they tend to be either outcast and disliked or from the lower class. Though that does not mean that the middle class was unaffected as there have been several well-to-do individuals that went missing. Which makes a distinctive trait among the victims hard to pin down. As they go through the cases they do write down any relevant information. 

 

After they finished they got up and stretched before gathering the files and neatly piling them back up, putting them back in order as best as they could. Thomas handed his pile to Lucia who combined their two piles back together before walking to Officer Nolon and giving it to him. 

 

“Thank you for allowing us to go over the files, they really have been a big help,” Lucia said genuinely.

 

At this notion, Officer Nolan perked up.” Oh did you find something that may connect the cases out?”

 

“Well nothing concrete, but I believe that for the most part the kidnappings and killings are done at random, though they tend to be the poor and those with little to no family. Which while not giving a clear motive, hints at a serial killer being present. Though a glaring answer remains as to why some people are killed and some are kidnapped. Since I think that it's safe to say that the murders and kidnappings are connected. Though I don’t know how.” Though as Lucia says this she remembers the eerie manner the north of town. “Though I do have a question, when I entered town I saw what appeared to be an estate on the Northern side of town, do you know who that belongs to.”

Officer Nolan does write a few things down on a piece of paper before looking back up. “To answer your question, the mansion you are most likely referring to belongs to the Brewer family, which as you may guess from their name used to own a medium-sized distillery that produced whisky and gin. Though in the past they owned quite a few local industries. Though they have been slow in decline. Prohibition has sped it along. Though they still have quite the sizable fortune stored away in various investments and their few remaining businesses. The Brewers themselves haven’t been seen in public for a long time, though it has been reported that their residence is often visited on certain nights. Along with rumors that passersby have heard strange noises and possibly even screams at night.” 

 

“That seems suspicious, have you looked into them to see if they could be involved?” Lucia responds to the somewhat pointed remarks coming from the officer.


At this comment officer, Nolan looks around to double-check that the room is empty of all but the three of them before answering. “ Well truth be told, we heavily suspect the Brewers to be involved in some way. Exactly how, we don’t know but we can’t look into it since the local sheriff is a cousin of Herbert Brewer the Brewer Family Patriarch and the local judge is most likely being bribed by them. Actually, are you related to Former Governor Sanford Belladras and the wealthy Bealladras family?” Officer Nolan asked, pivoting away from the conspiratorial response.

 

“Yes, he is my Grandfather?” Lucia said slowly, not sure as to where Nolon would take this conversation.

Though he seemed to have noticed the strange direction that he was taking the conversation. “I don’t mean anything weird by it, it's just if you want to help, a good way that you can is if you can make a few calls to get the local sheriff and judge to investigate. As truth be told, those two figures are what's holding back the investigation. Though we don’t know why they would be stopping us from properly investigating the string of murders and disappearances. There is only one person in town that has that ability to direct those two officials Herbert Brewer.” Nolan says, the latter part being extremely dejected.

Lucia however nods and begins to contemplate who she knows and soon comes back with a response. “Well I think I might know someone that could, I think that it would be best to go over the information with the Chief to make sure everything is in order. He is trustworthy and not in Herbets pocket right?” Lucia asks and Nolon nods. “Yes, he is trustworthy since truthfully he is one of the people pushing for the Brewers to be put under the microscope surrounding the incident. Either way, I would be more than glad to bring you to him to swap details.”

Though before Lucia leaves she responds. “If it is okay for you to bring Thomas to the morgue after you bring me to the  Police Chief's office. So that you can start looking into the bodies.” 


Thomas nods and Officer Nolan directs them to the Chief's office which is on the second floor of the building. In one of the nicer rooms, though it is not necessarily overly luxurious. It can be more described as fitted as something expected for an office of his position. 

 

Officer Nolan enters first and approaches the Police Chief and quietly talks to him about their previous conversation.  Before leaving to bring Thomas to the morgue to look over the murdered victims. 

 

Meanwhile, Lucia and the Police Chief went over some information that was similar to that of the conversation with Nolan. After that Lucia and the police chief.  After that Lucia calls up her cousin who is the attorney general of Massachusetts. The conversation entails Lucia asking her cousin to help with the investigation by outing the local sheriff and judge by either investigating them for corruption. To allow Bournes police to properly investigate the series of murders. Along with the police's investigation of the Brewers and their suspicious activity. 

 

The discussion lasted about half an hour with Lucia’s cousin agreeing to assist in any way possible. The Police chief thanked her for her assistance and then called up a police officer to guide her to the Morgue. It takes Lucia and the guiding officer around 5 minutes to get from the Chief’s office to the Morgue in the basement. 

 

When she arrived down there Lucia saw Thomas and the Pathologist looking at a corpse that had the telltale sign of a summoned monster attack. Though you wait for Thomas to come to you with the notes that he has made from checking over the bodies. 

 

“Did you find anything out?” Lucia asks though she had already guessed that he already had. 

 

“From the bodies, I was able to see it seems like the attacks were primarily from gunshot wounds or stab wounds. Though a couple was attacked by summoned horrors.” Thomas said as he handed the notebook he had taken notes in. To which Lucia nodded and looked over the notes. Before saying to Thomas.” This is interesting, though this has made things a bit serious.” Lucia said, referring to the body that was attacked by the summoned horror. 

 

She then thanked the office that guided her to the morgue and the pathologist. Before leaving with Thomas to head to their final destination for the moment being Henry’s house to have a talk with his wife. 

 

0