Chapter 29: Case 4 Part 4
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The drive to Henry’s property near the edge of town took around 15 minutes to reach. It is a modest two-story farm building that is partially made of both brick and wood. It has a small driveway that Lucia uses to park the car. Before she and Thomas leave to make their way to the front entrance of the house. 

 

They followed the cobblestone footpath to the door then Lucia knocked on the door and waited for the door to be opened by Henry’s wife presumably. She looked to be about the same age as Henry. She had medium-length brown hair and brown eyes. She was the one to speak first. “I am Magret Lamb, are you the people my husband hired for the recent murders?” 

 

“Yes, we are Mrs. Lamb,” Lucia said taking the lead in the conversation as she usually does. Thomas standing behind her partly listening in on the conversation while also keeping a look around the yard for both his and Lucia’s safety. 

 

“Come on in and I will tell you what I know, though I think you already heard most of it from my husband,” Margret says as she invites the two private detectives into her home. Where she leads them to a living area that has several couches and a leather reclining chair.

Lucia does take interest in the furniture and mentally compares them with the furniture that she usually lives in her new life and the furniture of her past life. To which she concedes that while they don’t look like much compared to her current furniture. In her past life, she might have liked it. As while they may be relatively cheap. Most of the furniture looks to be well made.

 

Though she quickly brushes off those thoughts as she reaches the couch that Mrs. Lamb had directed her and Henry to before presumably heading to the kitchen to get them something to drink. Before quickly returning with three glasses of water.

 

“I forgot to ask you what you wanted since it is usually the same people that come to visit. So I just got you water if you wanted” Mrs. Lamb responded, explaining her behavior which earned her two understanding nods.

 

She then started her story on the events that have unfolded, though as she said. They already knew most of what she was talking about. Though they did learn about some of the gossip that was going around among the housewives. They also learned that Henry and Margret had sent their children to live with one of Margaret's brothers who live in New York to keep them out of danger. 

 

Though as Margret was telling her story, Lucia heard another car come into the driveway. Not stopping she then heard what she thinks is about four individuals leaving the car and presumably making their way towards the house.

 

At this Lucia starts to get nervous and she interrupts Margret. “ Excuse me, but are you expecting anyone else over today?” 

 

Margaret then realizes what she heard and shakes her head nervously. Scared at what implication Lucias making.

“Ok, I will check the door then, please keep your head down.” She tells Margret before turning to Thomas. “Keep her in your sight at all time, understood.”  To which Thomas only nods while removing his sidearm from his holster.

Lucia does the same as she slowly makes her way to the door which is on the other side of the house strangely. According to Marget, the original living room was in the front of the house, but it was moved to the current room since it is larger.

Though as Lucia enters the hallway she heads to the front door just as it is kicked open, flinging to the side. On the other side, she sees four individuals. With 3 of them armed with handguns and the last with a Winchester carbine. 

 

Seeing that they obviously have hostile intentions Lucia decides to take the initiative. Quickly taking aim and firing three shots in quick succession. The first one flew over their heads while the next two hit their marks. One of the assailants is hit square in the chest dropping dead. While another staggers off with a hit to the arm.

The assailants then scatter to the side to avoid future fire from Lucia. Though not before one gets off a shot with their pistol, grazing Lucia in the leg and causing her to hiss in pain.

 

 She then moves inside one of the rooms to access the wound. Which is thankfully just a minor graze to her leg. While bleeding looks like it can wait to be treated until the end of the fight. 


Though she only has a few seconds to check on the wound before she has to move her attention to the door to the room. Where she hears two people making their way towards her. She then takes the time before they reach her to grab a combat knife that she has tied to her leg. As she knows that it may come to hand-to-hand combat. 


Lucia is just able to get into a more defensible position behind a wooden cabinet. When the two assailants she heard come in guns blazing.  Though they all miss their mark allowing Lucia to quickly return fire. With one hitting her mark as she sees one of the assailants clutching his stomach in pain.

 

The other looks at his comrade before looking back at Lucia with rage-filled eyes as he readies his pistol to fire again. Though Lucia takes the lapse of judgment to charge him. Dodging the incoming shots, the cultist fired in a rage. Quickly making it to the cultist and about to stab him. Before she changes her mind and instead pistol-whips the man, knocking him out instantly. She then quickly rotates and throws her knife. Striking him in the head, killing him instantly.

 

She then quickly secures the unconscious assailant's gun, before she makes her way out into the hallway. Checking both ways she makes her way back to where Thomas is when she hears several gunshots. She immediately picks up the pace to the room. Thankfully discover that both Thomas and Magret are unharmed. She then sees the third cultist dead by the back entrance. Most likely trying to either flank Lucia or sneak past her to get to Magret.

 

With those two secured, Lucia takes the chance to switch to her backup mag before moving to secure the assailant's car and secure the area. She does so, passing the dead assailant she shot at the beginning of the fight by the door. The assailant had a gunshot wound in the chest close to where the heart would be. 


She kicks the gun away from the corpse before making her way to the car that is behind her own car. Briefly circling it to see if there is anything of interest in it. When she finds nothing, she quickly makes her way back inside but not before making a quick stop at her car for some handcuffs. Then heading to the unconscious assailant where she grabs him and ties him up to a nearby chair.  

 

Once he is secured, Lucia puts her pistol away before heading to the living area where Thomas and Margret are. Where they are still ducking behind the couch.

 

“I think it is safe?” Lucia says, prompting the two behind the couch to stand up warily. 

 

“Thank you for protecting me,” Margaret says breaking the silence as Thomas follows Lucia's example and puts away his sidearm.

“No problem,” Lucia responded, she then realized that police will be here in a bit due to the gunfire was most likely heard for a great while around the house.

 

“I will wait for the police, see if the house has a phone. If so call them and inform the police what happened. Also, I managed to capture one. So go keep an eye on him. In case he wakes up.” Lucia ordered Thomas who responded, “Sure thing.” Before turning to Marget.

Meanwhile, Lucia made her way to the front of the house where she stood for around for several minutes before sirens can first be heard in the distance. Soon enough the first police cars came into her sight and Lucia flags them down as they stopped in front of the house. Not bothering to enter into the driveway.  Though they did wait to leave their cars until all the responding police cars arrived.

Several cops then exited their vehicles. One of them was officer Nolan who immediately recognized Lucia and visibly relaxed when she saw her. Though his gaze did spend a few seconds on her legs. Probably on her wound.

 

He then made her way, though he refrained from speaking until he was a bit closer. “Are you ok?”

Lucia nodded, “Yeah, besides the graze on my leg I am completely fine. Thomas and Mrs. Lamb are unharmed as well.”

Officer Nolan seemed to relax a bit more at the reassurance, though he still seemed a bit on edge. “And what about the attackers.” He asked the next important question. 

 

“Well three of them are dead and one of them is unconscious and I have him handcuffed to a chair. Thomas is also keeping an eye on him.” Lucia answered.

“Well it's good that one of them is alive, so we can get some answers as to why they attacked this place.  Did you manage to talk to them before the fight started?”

 

At that Lucia shook her head, “No, they came in armed and they kicked in the door with their guns out. So I assumed that they had hostile intentions and opened fire first.” 

 

Officer Nolan then sighed once more in frustration. “While there is no problem with you firing first, it does make it hard to know why they came. Other than they had hostile intentions towards you and Thomas and or Mrs. Lamb.” Pausing to think, before finishing. “At least we have one that is alive. Is he injured at all? 

 

“No, besides a headache when he wakes up he should be fine. Though we should interrogate him back at the police station. I should also have my wound treated.” Lucia answered, with Nolan nodding back in agreement.

 

“Do you need any medical supplies since I can have an officer get you some from a car?” Nolan asked, to which Lucia shook her head. “No, I have some medical supplies in my car.” 

 

“Ok, while you patch yourself up, I will go and check inside of the house and talk to  Mrs. Lamb to get her statement,” Nolan said, before making his way to the house. Where he takes a minute to look at the corpse in front of the door and the kicked-in door, before continuing inside. 

 

Meanwhile, Lucia went to her car to grab a medical back stashed in the back half of the car. Where she grabs some basic medical supplies to clean and then bandages the graze. It takes her around ten minutes to do that and during that time several more cop cars arrive. Starting to cordon off the area to keep away the curious locals who have begun to trickle in. To investigate the gunshots on their own. Though Lucia does notice several individuals that seem suspicious. Though she decides not to make any overt movements. She does make a mental note of them to tell officer Nolan. 

 

When she finishes patching herself up. She returns to the house and heads to the living room. Where she sees Nolan overseeing officers getting statements from Margret and Thomas. When he sees her he turns to her. “Did you finish patching yourself up?” He asks politely.

 

“Yea it was only a graze wound so I only had to clean and bandage the wound for now. Though once I get a chance I will most likely have a doctor properly handle it.” Lucia responds before shifting topics. “Though while I was doing I see several people that seem to be suspiciously interested in the results. I have a feeling that they are to confirm if their target is dead.”

 

At that notion officer, Nolan groans and clutches his face. Realizing the implications that are being made. “Is this connected to the recent murders?”

 

“I would have to say yes since they don’t seem like robbers and they seemed to be looking for a fight. Though I don’t know if they were after me and Thomas or Mrs. Lamb. Though I have to lean towards Mrs. Lamb unless they had underestimated us greatly. I also have to point out that we should be careful when transporting the captured assailant. Since whoever attacked Mrs. Lamb, could try and ambush the car transporting him. To either free or silence him.” Lucia says, to which Nolan nods and stands in silence for several moments in thought.

 

“You are, right so I would like you and Thomas to accompany us. I will also go personally and bring several additional cops with us. To hopefully deter the mysterious assailants from trying something on the drive to the police station.” Nolan responds, and Lucia nods in agreement. 

 

“I agree, I think if we do that, it can deter them from trying anything. Since it is one thing to try and ambush a single cop car. It is another to ambush a few cop cars. Though it might be a good idea to do it before our prisoner wakes up.” Lucia says, adding another suggestion at the end. 

 

“Ok, I will get my second to take command and pick out the other escorts. Can you prepare the suspect for travel?” Officer Nolan says that he leaves no room for a response as he quickly leaves the room to coordinate the plan that he and Lucia came up with. 

 

Lucia then looks to Thomas to make sure he heard the plan, and he nods. The two of them said their fare well to Magret before returning to the room where the unconscious assailant is. They then prepare him for transport and hand him off to several cops that have come with an additional set of handcuffs that they use to replace Lucia's personal pair. The cops then carry the arms of the man to a cop cruiser. With Lucia and Thomas right behind them. Only heading to their own care. After he was placed in the police cruiser.  Once in the car, they follow the small convoy of their own car and two police cars to the police station after a slightly longer drive of eighteen minutes. 

0