Chapter 31: Case 4 Part 6
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the next two hours, as the afternoon wears on, slowly turns towards the evening. The police station is buzzing with Lucia heading across the street to a local doctor to get the graze wound properly treated. Which consists of it being disinfected again and rebandaged.  Which wasn’t that much more than what Lucia did do. Though the doctor did check to see if stitches were needed. Though he decided that they were not, as the wound was shallow enough that gauze would be enough. After the doctor was finished Lucia returned to the police station to prepare for the raid. As they had been deputized by the police chief for additional manpower.

 

Meanwhile back at the police station was receiving a stream of cars arrived from both the county and state police. To assist in both the raid happening today on the illegal bar and on the gang headquarters which is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  Though Lucia worries if the gang will try to flee or worse, try to dig in and prepare for the raid overnight. 

 

The rest of Lucia’s team is also preparing the weapons that they had retrieved from their car. Though they had also handed out some of the guns to the police for tomorrow's raid. As the police mainly rely on revolvers and shotguns for weapons. The few rifles that the group carries will go a long way to making sure the police are well-armed enough for whatever they may face. 

 

As Lucia arrived back at the police station the first thing she noticed was several groups of officers that were congregating in the police station's yard surrounding a few lanterns that had been brought out. To light up the yard, as it ever closer approaches night.

 

Lucia passes several groups of cops who nod at her politely, heading to the back entrance to the police station where officer Nolan seems to be standing close to the door talking to several country deputy sheriffs.

“The Chief wants you to head to his office, he wants your input on the plan for tonight. He also may want you to lead it.” Nolan says suddenly turning to Lucia before returning to his conversation with the other officer. Not allowing Lucia to respond. So Lucia just walks past him and takes the now somewhat familiar route to chief Fox’s office. 

Once she arrives she sees that the office has been transferred into something akin to a war room. With a massive table in the center of the room displacing much of the original furniture. 

 

She sees Chief Fox talking to who appears to be a Country officer and a state officer. She also sees William Moody as well, most likely due to his past as a B.O.I agent. He was talking to several officers as well. Though Thomas and Jerry seemed to be elsewhere. Chief Foxed noticed Lucia when she entered the room but finished his conversation before addressing the crowd. 

 

“Ah your here Lucia, we seem to have a plan for tonight's raid on The Mapple, it will mostly be made up of officers from this town and some from the county's officer will provide assistance. You and Mr. Moody will also be present to assist. Though you will have a bit of a minor role.  Since this is an official police investigation,” as he says that Lucia nods in agreement. While she wouldn’t say it out loud. She personally thinks that one gunfight a day is good enough for her. Though she doesn’t mind getting into more than one.  She quashes those thoughts and put her full attention back on the police chief. “ Though if things go wrong, we would like if you could help in any way you can. You will also play a bigger role tomorrow. Where we will need all the help we can get.” Chief Fox takes a break to take a breath before continuing with the plan for tonight.

 

With is mostly a straightforward plan for the police to surround and storm the building, hopefully catching everyone off guard. Though Lucia is unsure as to how much of that they will be able to do. With the influx of police officers. Though she doesn’t don’t that they will have many issues of being able to storm the place.  Though she is worried enough to ask.

 

“Excuse me Chief, but I wonder if the police increase may tip them off to something happening, possibly tipping the gangsters off?” Lucia asks, to which Chief fox pauses to consider. “That is a possibility but that just means that we have to be more careful. Though I don’t think they would risk going against the police so openly.” The Chief hesitantly says though it seems that everyone even the chief has a hard time believing it for some reason. Though the chief seems to use his force of will to make it true in his mind. Though event that doesn’t seem to be enough to remove the worry that is plainly visible on his face to Lucia. So Lucia takes a mental note to expect the worse possible outcome. The next several minutes entail the details of the operation and how it will flow. Though the conversation is mainly between the police officers Lucia and William only occasionally add their opinions. 

 

Once the briefing is over the two private detectives are told to follow the county officials, who introduces himself as they leave the room. “I didn’t introduce myself properly, my name is officer Robert Hawthorn.” 

 

“And my name is Lucia Belladras, though you can just call me Lucia. No need to be formal” Lucia introduces herself as well, William most likely had already done so a while ago. 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Lucia,” Robert says, though Lucia does notice that he recognizes her last name by the way that his eyes widened ever so slightly when she said her last name. Though besides that Robert does a remarkable job hiding his surprise or recognition of her last name. 

 

After the introductions, they then spend the rest of the walk discussing what Lucia and Williams's roles will be in the raid which, turns out to be staying outside and helping Robert coordinate. Meaning that they will mostly avoid the potential. Which Lucia is fine with, though William seems to sneakily pout a bit at the fact. Since William seemed to have been hoping to see some action today.

Though Lucia has an uneasy feeling that this relatively simple operation will turn out to be a bit more chaotic than either the Chief or Robert think it will. 

 

Once they reach the police yard, Lucia sees where Thomas and Jerry have been. When she sees them by their cars handing out their spare weapons to grateful officers. Lucia and William quickly head there to grab their primary weapons. Along with some extra amount, Lucia has only one full magazine with the other being almost empty from the gunfight earlier today. She also grabbed some extra medical supplies for herself and potentially her allies. 

 

After they do that they head to the county police car where Robert is waiting for them. As they approach Robert gives them a signal to get in before, entering the driver's seat. Lucia takes the front passenger’s seat while William takes one of the back seats. 

 

After they get in the wait for several minutes until the police strike group is ready. Then a convoy of around 14 police cars and around 50 police officers not including Robert and the two private detectives. Leave the police station in a convoy formation. Cursing the pedestrians that are walking nearby to stop and stare. Before either whispering to those around them or walking faster to their destination. As many most likely guess that something is going down and that being inside is most likely a smart idea.

The convoy takes nearly 15 minutes to reach The Oak. Which is a two-story brick building on the edge of the urban area of Bourne. It looks a bit older since there are some signs of decay. Though otherwise it looks rather well kept. It also has the distinction of looking rather inconspicuous to a point that no one could have guessed that it was being used for a gang location and illegal speakeasy. Though only Lucia is using that term to describe the illegal establishment in the basement.    

 

The police convoy separates with cars sounding the building, with the police in the cars splitting into two groups. The first is a group of officers that stay near their cars to block anyone from leaving or entering the area. The other coverage is into several spots. They seem to be the group that will be storming the building. Though as Lucia looks at the building she notices something strange.

 

“ Hey Robert, doesn’t the building seem awfully quiet?” Lucia inquires, only for it to immediately peak both Robert and William's attention as they both start looking at the building with worry. Robert then moves to one of the groups that are about to breach and tells them something. Before returning to Lucia and William who have both prepared their rifles. For combat, as their guts are telling them something is going to happen.

As soon as Robert returns to the car he gives the signal to begin and a police officer at the nearest car. Taking out a megaphone the officer loudly says “This is the police, surrender, and,“ The police officer is unable to finish his sentence as two shots come out from the second floor. The first hit the dirt near the officer.  The second one however hits the officer in the abdomen causing him to slump over.

Sending the sounding officers into chaos, as they most returned fire into the sound floor. Lucia in the meanwhile took some supplies from her spot in the police car and quickly ran to the downed officer. Where she performs some medical care to stabilize the wound. Which she thankfully is about to do, though with some difficulty due to the location of the wound.

Lucia was so engrossed in treating the officer that she missed Robert approaching her, though he did wait to speak until she finished doing her treatment.” How is he?” Robert anxiously asked.

 

“I stabilized the wound, though he was, unfortunately, the wound is bad, he needs surgery soon,” Lucia responds calmly seemingly unfazed by the gravely injured man.  Though soon afterward gunshots start again, from inside the building. Indicating that the police had entered the building as well as the fact that the gang had wised up to the increased presence. 

 

More shots came from the second floor as well, hitting two officers, and causing them to collapse to the ground. The police surrounding the building immediately hid behind their cars and began to fire into the windows on the second floor.


Meanwhile, Robert had made a decision and turned to face Lucia and William. “Lucia, head into the building with the next team entering, William help me coordinate the reinforcement.” The mention of reinforcements caused Lucia to towards the street behind them, where she saw more police cars streaming toward them. Most likely responding to the gunshots that were heard. 

 

Though Lucia had no time to focus on them as she looked for the group Robert was talking about. Which she was quickly able to find. As they were making their way towards the front entrance. Lucia nodded toward Robert and William before grabbing her Mondrogan rifle and ammo pouch and heading to the group.  Who quickly allowed her to take command. As they understandably lacked experience in pitched gunfights of this scale.  So Lucia lead the group to the entrance where she saw around five police officers trying to breach the building. She also saw two injured police officers and sadly three either unconscious or dead police officers.

 

Lucia approached the cop that looks to be in charge of the scene. Trying to avoid going in front of the door or any of the windows. She manages to reach him relatively easily. 

 

“What is the situation officer?” She asks and the officer turns to face her, quickly responding. “ We are pinned down and have been unable to enter the building. We have also taken several casualties that have also hampered any progress.” The officer said frustratedly.

 

Lucia then sighed and mentally kicked herself at the lack of grenades she had. Since she had stupidly never thought they would find a use of the. That would justify the legal and bureaucratic hoops it would take to purchase them.    

 

Either way, she had to find a way past this impasse, and peeking through the doorway is a good way to get shot again. So she has to get creative. So she decides to try and shoot through the window which on closer inspection seems to have been barricaded with plywood. Which may block smaller rounds at a distance. It however will not protect the gangsters from rifle rounds fired at point-blank range. 

 

The officer in charge seemed to have picked up on what Lucia was doing and so he helped coordinate the reinforcements that had bolt action rifles provided by Lucias group to head to each window and wait for their single.

Though the officer thankfully also remembered to make sure that the other officers on the other side of the building were not only out of harm's way. He also helped coordinate them.

 

So once they were ready Lucia gave the single and shouted “Fire.” 

 

Then around five officers and Lucia fired 2 rounds each into the windows causing a flurry of activity. The offices with handguns and shotguns then rushed inside to capitalize on the chaos.  Lucia then followed after them, though by the time she had made it inside. The room had already been cleared and she saw the inside of the building for the first time. Which had been turned into a restaurant into a room filled with the tables flipped. To be used as makeshift barricades.  Which turned out to be somewhat effective, considering the effort it took to take the room. 

 

On the ground, Lucia saw several dead gangsters behind the flipped tables along with several dead police officers they managed to kill. There were also several blood trails leaving the room. Indicating some of them managed to leave alive. Lucia turned her attention to the cops the served the storming to see that most of them were injured. All of them from gunshot wounds. Though all but the most injured watched the entrance. To watch for a counter tack from the gangsters.

Lucia however decided to take command. “Everyone that has been shot leave and get looked at, though make sure you get reinforcements sent,” Lucia said with an authoritative voice. Which was followed as the injured cops moved to leave the building while uninjured cops took their spot

 

Lucia’s group then spent the next five minutes waiting for the reinforcements to replace the injured officers. Which ended when another five officers came in. She then set them to watching the two doorways. The one heading to the kitchen area and the other heading to a strange hallway. That Lucia gues head to the stairway in the basement. 

 

Lucia gets the other group of three officers all armed with rifles to follow her upstairs. Lucia and the officers reach the top of the stairs though she signals for them to pause. Then sends them another signal to cover the hallway after she makes her move. 

 

She then peeks around the corner to see if she can find any cultists looking into what appears to be a hallway and she appears to see two gangsters wielding revolvers.

 

So she quickly rolls and places two accurate shots, killing both of them. Before dashing to a door on the other side of the hallway. Smashing through the wooden door with her momentum. Taking two gangsters stationed at the window by complete surprise. She can rile the two of them before they could act. As she does that she hears a couple of rounds being fired. So when she peeks out the door she sees two more gangster bodies. That the two cops watching the hallway were able to shoot when they went to investigate the shots Lucia fired. Lucia then gave them hand signals to clear the rest of the rooms which they did. Though they thankfully didn’t find any other enemies. Though she did stumble upon a small library and an office that may belong to Jacob Abbot or one of his men. Since it is littered with papers.Though she was able to see a letter that was finished but not sent that is addressed to the Brewer family Patriarch along with another letter addressed from the Brewer Patriarch. Lucia snatches them to prevent them from being destroyed. Though as she goes to leave the room she hears an inhuman noise coming from the main floor. One that she immediately recognizes as a summoned horror. Followed by an almost deafening amount of gunfire. That continues downstairs, being followed by the two cops. Who is visibly sweating out of nervousness? Though by the time they reach the stairs the gunfire has stopped and Lucia can only hope that it means that the creature is dead. 

 

So she is somewhat relieved to see the edges of a dead creature from halfway down the stairs. Though that relief is heavily muted when she sees two cops that had been torn apart by the creature before it had been killed. Along with a third that seems to have had his arm below his elbow torn off. Though he seems to be alive, cops are rushing to stop the bleeding while preparing to bring him outside. To have him rushed towards the nearest hospital.     

 

Though Lucia knew that the fight is also effectively over since the remaining gangsters are most likely dead or in no mood to continue fighting. Lucia is proven right when the remaining few gangsters come up to surrender. Though Lucia did hear them cursing Jacob Abbot under his breath.

Lucia let the cops handle the surrendering criminals. Who must have realized that despite surrendering, will most likely get long prison sentences? 

 

Either way, Lucia and two other cops quickly cleared the rest of the building finding the illegal saloon trashed. With the remains of two heavily mutilated gangsters. That caused her cop escorts to turn blue in the face in disgust and horror. 

 

Lucia also finds a hidden tunnel that had collapsed, meaning that some of the combatants escaped. With no way to pursue them. So after securing the basement. Lucia and the two cops went back upstairs to start working through the aftermath. Of a battle that was won, but at a higher cost than anyone thought it would. 

0