Chapter 32: Case 4 Part 7
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Lucia came out of the building she saw Robert and William looking over the wounded cops that had been moved to a makeshift medical center. In particular, she saw Robert looking at the cop who lost most of his arm to the summoned horror with a mystified face. He then went to say something to William but before he could say something. William pointed at Lucia and quietly said something. Which led Robert to head to Lucia. Though his gaze paused on the surrendering gangsters who were being led out of the building in handcuffs.

 

Though that was only for a moment as his gazer returned to Lucia and he soon reached her. “Do you know what caused that to his arm?” Robert asked quickly, peering over to his back to the man being loaded into a car by two cops.

“Well do you want the short or long version? Though I will most likely tell the long version during debriefing.” Lucia responded leaving, Robert stumped for a second, with him only responding “Short version.”  

 

“Well, it's something called a summoned horror that caused the injury. It is an inhumane creature. That someone set upon both us and a gangster. Since It killed a few of them as well and terrified the rest into surrendering. Though it seems that Abbot and the ones who set that creature loose were able to escape. Since I found what appeared to be a tunnel that they had collapsed behind them.” As she was talking Lucia remembered the letter she picked up in the office. “ Ah, also I think I found something to connect the Brewers to Abbot and the gang. Though I haven’t read them, it seems Jacob was in contact with the Brewer Patricah.”  She then hands Robert the two letters, which he promptly began to read.


Soon, Lucia heard Robert muttering swear words, most likely at either the Brewer Patriarch or Jacob Abbot. It took Robert about five minutes to read both letters. After which he handed them to Lucia, without saying a word. As he looks too mad to come up with a proper sentence. So Lucia read as well and quickly understood how he could be so angry. The letter from the Brewer Patriarch mostly issued various orders and people that the man wanted dead. Though the Patriarch did discuss the policies increased scrutiny.  Though Lucia did not find any mention of the Lambs, which means that it may have come through the phone or in person. 

 

Meanwhile, the letter from Jacob was mostly about the private detectives and the hit on Margate and the fight with his men and Lucia and Thomas. Though Lucia was deeply angered at the verbiage used to describe her. More so, since Lucia can’t help but think that he tried to make the description of her as vulgar as possible. After Lucia had finished reading the letters, she put them back into her pocket.

Though by this time, Robert had calmed himself and was waiting for Lucia to finish reading them. “Can you see if you can find more evidence to connect the Brewers to Jacobs's crimes. Since those letters are a start. Though they aren’t enough to justify the manpower that we may need to store their estate. Also, during my talk with William, he mentioned that you were a book collector. So if you find any interesting books, just tell us and we can find a way to have them as part of your payment. Since we will likely owe you a lot.” 

 

At the mention of books, Lucia became quite a bit excited though she hid under a calm gaze. Since she was rather interested in that small library on the second floor. Though she knew that the library came second after the office. 

 

Lucia responded with a simple,” Sure thing, just send someone up if you need me for something.” Robert just nodded before heading to talk to someone else who appears to have been waiting for Roberts to finish his conversation with Lucia. 

 

Though Lucia paid it no mind and quickly made her way to the office on the second floor to go through the papers that are scattered throughout the room.  She is able to do so relatively quickly, in just under an hour. During this, she was able to find a lot of evidence in the open that provides some damming evidence on Brewer's participation in it. Though it is the correspondence between Jabob Abbot and Herbert Brewer, that is most damming it is also the most chilling.

As it discusses a large range of topics that trouble Lucia, such as there is enough evidence to get both Jacob Abbot and Herbert Brewer both to get charged with the Captial punishment. It is the business that the two are running in the gang or more specifically what the money is being used for that trouble Lucia the most.

As it appears that the Brewers turned their legal Spirits company into a moonshine outfit after prohibition. To supply to illegal establishments and wealthy individuals in the area. To then use part of the large than normal profits to stockpile weapons.

Lucia was able to find several sheets that listed the weapons that were being bought for the Brewer's personal organization. Since it appears that the Brewers had turned to the occult to win back their lost fortune. Though there is no number of cultists in the Brewer cult. Though from the number of weapons that were purchased over the years.  Lucia estimates that it could be enough to equip two or three companies to point that they would be armed to the teeth. 


Since after doing the math in adding up the various weapons orders, Lucia can estimate that the Brewers have purchased nearly a thousand bolt action rifles, three to four hundred carbines, and two thousand handguns, along with some shotguns and strange small arms. To supply said guns, the Brewers have seemingly stockpiled nearly a total amount of nearly a million rounds of ammunition in the past two years alone. Though the most troubling portion of it is the nearly two dozen heavy machine guns and another 2 and a half million rounds of ammunition for them.

All of which leaves even Lucia slightly pale from the number of weapons that the Brewer family has been stockpiling. Leaving her to wonder how would they approach, storming the Brewer estate. 

 

Though Lucia does then remember a room that she didn’t enter on the side of the office. So she approaches it carefully and opens the door with her pistol drawn. Just in case a gangster was hiding in wait. There was no one in hiding thankfully since the door was locked. Lucia had to pick the lock quickly with her knife. Since the lock seem primitive to Lucia. Once she was able to look in the door, her breath stopped momentarily as she took in what appeared to be a small armory that was filled with several closed boxes. With the top one open to show it is filled with bolt action rifles. Though what Lucia's vision was fixated on was the Browning M1917 that was there. Which made Lucia extremely mixed about how she should think of it. On the one hand, she is thankful that none of it was used against the police. Though on the other it lends credibility to the other weapons purchases going through. The weapons, Lucia has found seem to be for the cult and not the gang.

She then debates checking out the library versus investigating how many weapons there are. Though that debate is quickly settled when she hears Robert calling her. “ Did you find anything?”

“Yes, and you should come and see this. Though before you do, lockdown this house properly. Since this should be locked off for the public for a while.” Lucia responds and it is a second or two of silence until she hears Robert respond hesitantly “Sure thing, though you should Chief Fox arrived as well to  see the aftermath.”  Though hearing that Lucia immediately shouts back, “Bring him up to hear as well, he needs to see this.” 

 

At the hearing, this Robert replies curiously. “Ok, but it will take a few extra minutes.” Lucia then gives an affirmative to that. Before heading to the study to see if she can find any more documents where she discovers that it is mainly for gang use. Though she did find a few novels that caught her eye. That while they don’t appear to be rare enough to take. They seem interesting enough that Lucia may go an buy a copy of them to read on her own time.

A few minutes later, Lucia continues to look through the books in the study. She hears footsteps coming upstairs, so she goes out to greet Chief Fox and Robert who are joined by several armed police officers. Most likely acting as bodyguards to the police chief. Though she also sees the State police officer with them.

 

“ So what was so important that wanted me to come here, so you can personally show it.” Chief Fox says evenly, still unsure why Lucia called him to hear. 

 

“ Well for two reasons, the first is the content of the rooms and the second is that you should read some of the stuff found in Jacob Abbot's office.” 

 

Lucia then brings the group to the armory, where several people could be heard audibly gasping. None of them were able to speak. As they wonder what might have happened if those weapons were used agansit them. So Lucia takes the initiative again to speak. “ This isn’t the worst news, since these weapons were bought by the Brewer family. Who by the way appear to be running the gang through Jacob Abbot. As they seem to have been the perpetrators of most of the murders and disappearances that have been going on. Though the worst news is that they have been using the gang's profits to stockpile large piles of weapons. At least from what I have seen from the order forms. The Brewer family has enough guns to arm several companies and then some. Though more worryingly is that they seemed to have somehow gotten a few dozen Browning heavy machine guns and a few million rounds of ammunition. The reason why is the only thing that I haven’t found definitive proof of,  they seemed to have started some sort of cult in some desperate bid to gain back their lost fortune.”

This is a bigger blow to the group as they are all left speechless by Lucia's declaration. Leaving several seconds of silence that lasts until Chief Fox breaks the uneasy silence.

“I hate to ask this Lucia, but you are really the only person with enough influence to get the needed help. So can you make some calls to try and get the federal government involved?” Chief Fox asks politely, as even if they knew, it was approaching eight in the evening. So no one would be in their offices. So Lucia would be the best bet is contacting the necessary people would be alerted. 

 

“Sure I can do that now, but it would be best if I use the phone in the police station,” Lucia responds. To which the Police chief nods and directs a police officer to drive Lucia back to the police station.

 

Which does happen and 15 minutes later Lucia is back at the phone in the Police Chiefs office. The person that Lucia first calls is the Massachusetts, Attorney General Daniel Belladras, who is Lucia's Cousin.

 

The call goes through and a polite response comes through.”This is the Danial Belladras residence, who may this be?” The person responding is most likely a servant of Daniels. Though Lucia just answers, “Yes, this is Lucia Belladras, Danaials cousin can you get him on the line? It is important.”

The servant on the other hand recognizes her and promptly responds a bit more respectfully than before, “Of course, one moment please.”

Before most likely setting the phone done. The line remains silent for several minutes before the phone is picked up and Danial's voice is heard. 

 

“Hello, Lucia what do you need? Make it quick since the governor and his wife are over for a late dinner.” Danial answers with a hint of annoyance in it. Leaving Lucia to silently apologize in advance.

 

“Well, there has been a development in the investigation that I think both you and the governor should know about. Since the situation has grown quite serious.” Lucia said to which she heard a groan on the other end.

“What exactly did you find that would justify you calling at eight in the evening, Tell me the full story,” Thomas asked somewhat exacerbated. So Lucia did exactly that 

“So during an interview with our client's wife. A group of armed men tried to kill her. Thankfully we're able to capture one and get him to flip. So he gave us a location of two locations where his organization seemed to be either making or disturbing alcohol. After marshaling some additional forces from the county police office the raid happened, which while being a success. Though it did not go according to plan. As” At this point, Daniel interjected into the conversation. “Is this going somewhere since it seems like a normal raid against illegal alcohol production? Which while unusual isn’t enough to warrant you to call me.”

Though Danial was cut off by an angry ‘tisk’ from Lucia, which shut him up even though it was silent. It caused a silent bead of sweat to run down his back.

 

After that, Lucia resumed.” The reason that it was not normal was that instead of trying to flee when police cars started to arrive at the police station. They instead tried to ambush us when we went into the breach. Resulting in a gunfight that left six officers dead and another 13 injured. Though that is still not why I called you. The reason that I called you, is that it seems that the group that the gang is working for has been stockpiling large amounts of guns, enough to equip several companies. That also includes two dozen heavy machine guns. They also seemed to be stockpiling millions of rounds of ammunition. Overall this group that I stumbled upon seems to be around 100 to two hundred strong. Though that is only a rough guess. There is no definitive number that I have found so far. Though even with the most conservative guess. There is not enough manpower from the town and county police to combat them let alone match them in firepower. There is also the fact that there is another gang location where the illegal alcohol is being made that has to be dealt with. I don’t we have enough manpower to handle that even.” Lucia finally finished her story and the only thing that was heard on the other side was a long hard, sigh. Then a slow and annoying response. 

“OK, I see why you called because the police need the national guard brought in and they are delegated to handle this, because of your relation to me,” Danial said, correctly pointing out the situation. Not even bothering Lucia to let her respond before continuing onwards to finish. “But okay, I will start coordinating with the governor to get the national guard activated to fix this mess.”

This started the process of Lucia spending the next four hours coordinating the Governor and Danial with Chief Fox and coordinating the numbers of guardsmen to be brought in and when. With the final number being around 300 guardsmen being brought in. With the first arriving at noon.  Meanwhile, the police have started monitoring both the abandoned lumber mill.

 

Though at around 11 at night a startling report came in saying that most of the criminals at the abandoned lumber mill spotted the scouts and attacked them. Killing four of the police officers and injuring 3 more. Before heading to the Brewer Estate. Though the strangest part of it was the strange creatures the surviving cops saw, trudging alongside the gangsters. It would have been unbelievable if it hadn’t been compared to the creature that attacked them at, The Oak. 

 


Finally, at midnight did Lucia get the chance to sleep, though it was no longer at the inn she checked in. But instead a the police station in an empty office that was provided to her. Along with a cop kindly bringing her clothes from the inn.   

 

As Lucia falls asleep, she can only wonder how the upcoming battle will turn out.        

0