Chapter 34: Case 4 Part 9
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucia didn’t have to wait long until the Captain arrived as he walked towards Lucia, stopping next to her. The soldiers and cops moved into a half-circle around him. With Mark waiting to speak until they all finished moving

“ Ok, so our orders are to clear out the mill some local gangsters have up until last night reportedly occupied. They have been allegedly using it to illegally create moonshine. Though there is no confirmation that everyone has left it. There have also been several disturbing rumors have been reported by the cops watching it. So the decision was made to send in a full strike team to ensure that the lumber mill is fully clear.  Understood!” Mark, briefs before heading into some more technical briefing. He also introduced the reason why Lucia was part of the team as being a skilled fighter and knowledgeable in fighting the creatures that were allegedly sighted. 


The briefing took around ten minutes, once it was finally finished the group loaded into trucks before heading to the lumber mill which was on the northeast side of town. So some detours had to be used, to avoid the Brewer compound. The drive took around 20 minutes. Though the drive was punctuated by the sound of distant gunfire, at a volume that you would expect in a pitched battle during World War I. Not continental America, in an otherwise sleepy town.   

 

Once they finally arrived they found the mill to be deserted as expected so the group disembarked and slowly made their way inside, they managed to make it from the gate to around halfway to the main building. Which was a large two-story, wooden structure which appeared to be where the offices and some of the machinery were housed.

When an engine was heard coming from that direction and soon what appeared to be a car came zooming towards them. Though soon a barrel was seen Mark noticed first, Lucia noticing a few seconds later. Though Mark was the one that shouted. “Get down.” Just moments before the machine-gun fire started to come from the car. Firing almost continuously until the car passed the gate then it sped off into the distance.  Some of the soldiers managed to return fire, though none appeared to hit the car.

 

 

Lucia immediately looked at the group to check for any injured. Where she immediately saw a cop that was dead, already pooling blood from several gunshot wounds to the chest. She then saw a soldier that was already being tended to that was also hit in the shoulder, bleeding heavily. Two more of the cops received shots to the leg or arm. Though they were able to be treated relatively quickly. Meanwhile, all the uninjured cops and soldiers created a security perimeter around the injured men being stabilized.  

 

Though as that was happening Lucia was wondering who attacked them when she heard a strange growl coming from the main building. With the sound of glass shattering, she looked towards the source only to see a summoned horror jump through. Trying to pounce on a guardsman. Lucia then swiftly jumps tackling the soldier. Both of them narrowly miss the creature. At this time several others noticed the creature, and immediately turned their guns on it, firing at it. Killing it quickly as it absorbs a flurry of led bullets, falling over dead a few feet from where it pounced. 

 

As soon as the shooting was over, Lucia got up, then helped the soldier up as well. Who thanked her for saving his life. As no one could have doubted that he would have been killed if it wasn’t for Lucia.

 

Though they couldn’t relax for long as more growls filled the air and the group retreated to a more defensible position.

 

While they did that,  five more horrors jumped from the windows of the main building. The team slowly backed up toward the trucks. They were able to eliminate most of the horrors. Though they were able to defeat the wave of horrors. They heard two more trucks with about 14 national guardsmen between the two of them. They stopped behind the already parked trucks and they unloaded and took up defensive positions. The sergeant in command approached Mark, “ We were sent as reinforcements, due to the gunfire.” The soldier reported.

“That would be greatly appreciated, though can you spare a truck and a driver since we have several casualties that need medical treatment,” Mark asked, to which the sergeant agreed. With the three injured soon being driven back to town.

The nearly reinforced team then spent the next hour clearing the lumber mill, dealing with several groups of horrors. Thankfully no one else was killed, though one guardsman did lose an arm that was ripped off in an ambush. He was subsequently rushed back to town. Though Lucia is skeptical that he will make it. 

 

Once they finish clearing out the lumber mill, the dead cop is secured and loaded into a truck before the rest of the team mounts up and then drives back to town.


As the convoy reaches the town, Lucia notices how the sidewalks are mostly empty, where they had been somewhat populated the day before. The only people in sight are several national guard patrols every once in a while, which increase as they approach the police station. 


Once they arrive at the police station, the cops and National guardsmen begin to get out of the trucks and head to debrief which has been assigned to one of the sergeants. Lucia and Captain Hammer made their way to the war room. Though once they arrived they discovered two additional people, one of which Lucia recognizes. That being the head of the Beuro of Investigations Boston office. The other person is a marine Colonel, who Lucia does not recognize. Though by their expressions they seem to be unhappy and demanding answers. Something that, specifically from the Major and Police chief. Though when the B.O.I  agent sees Lucia, and he lets out a muffled sigh, in understanding.

 

Though Lucia can only wonder how and why those two made their way here.

Rolling the time back a few hours, in the town of Boston, Jason, the head of the relatively new Buero of investigations branch in Boston. Is having a relatively normal day at his first senior position in the B.O.I. Though the post only had seven other agents in total. So they shared an Office with the Marshalls. It was about nine-thirty, nearly an hour after Jason arrived. He usually arrives at around eight in the morning.

Jason was doing some morning paperwork about several recent cases when the door knocked. Causing Jason to pause, thinking about who it could be. Though, as he did that he still managed to say “Come in,” to which a U.S. marine in a combat uniform entered the room. As he looked over at the rank, he identified the individual as a Colonel. 

Jason was unsure what business the marines would have with him. Though the marine picked up on Jason's confusion.” I know you may be wondering if you knew of any national guard activations. Since I was assigned to inspect a national guard company, and when I did so they were busy loading trucks with weapons and troops. When I asked where they were going, all I got was that they were heading to a city called Bourne to resolve an incident. I got nothing else except for that, though it seemed that they also weren’t sure of what that incident was either. Ah, I am Major Lewis Lang. ”

As Jason continued to listen he got gradually more confused since he hadn’t heard of any operations from the national guard, though admittedly he doesn’t pay attention to what they do. Though he would have thought that it might have been planned, if not for the fact that the Colonel described their actions as rather spontaneous. Though he did recognize the town of Bourne, his younger brother lives there where he works in the mayor's office. Though at that moment he received a call from his brother.

“Hello, dear brother, I would love to talk but,” Jason starts but is interrupted when it becomes clear that he will try and push the conversation back due to the colonel.


“Wait, it's an emergency, something is going on in Bourne. Yesterday there was an operation by the town police and the county police. Though I don’t know what happened, I have heard that it went sideways and developed into a gun battle where 6 cops were killed and another 13 were injured. I also have reports that a lot of the people in the building they stormed also died. It sounded like a battle was going on. Though gunfire started up again a little while ago, it's coming from the local rich families' estate. It sounds like a warzone, I think I hear machine gunfire. The mayor has no clue what is happening. Though there is a rumor that the police have called on the national guard to help fix the issue.”   As Jason's brother retold his tale. Jason became even more worried and confused. He passed on the information to Major Lewis. Who also appeared to be confused though, something stuck out to the Colonel.

“If it started yesterday, how did the city get the national guard activated so fast?” He asked which Jason passed on to his brother. To which he quickly responded, “The police chief got Lucia Belladras to call the attorney general to get it done.” he said rather annoyed.

Jason also grounded and simply stated,” For some reason, Lucia Belladras was there and pulled strings in the State Government.” Though, the Colonel got confused by the name, mainly because he is from Texas originally. 

 

Though as he tried to recognize the name, Jason wrapped up his conversation, thanking him for calling and assuring him that he will look into it.

 

“Who is Lucia Belladras,” the Major, asked for clarification. Jason guessed that he wasn’t from Massachusetts or the New England area.

 

“Well, it is not necessarily Lucia who you should know, though she is a private detective and businesswoman. Who has been supplying most of the guns to local police stations in the area? Though it is her family that I am referring to, it is her family. Who are not only extremely wealthy business owners, but I mean they are some of the wealthiest families in New England if not the U.S itself. but also a powerful political dynasty that holds sizable influence in the New England area. Though in this case, it comes down to the fact that the current Massachusetts attorney general is Daniel Belladras, Lucia’s first cousin.”

This is somewhat surprising to the Major, as he just says “Oh.” As he took in the information. Which he had mixed feelings on. 

 


Meanwhile, Jason was unsure of how to think of the situation but he knew who he had to call. So he called his boss, the Director of the Bureau of Investigations, William Blynn.

“What do you want, Jason, I am about to meet with my Boss (The attorney general) and the head of prohibition,” He said impatiently. Though Jason was not phased much. 

 

“There is a major development in the city of Bourne. I have a report from a city official that the police have entered into a battle with an armed group.” Jason says but is interrupted by an impatient Director. “Ok, why do I need to know, it seems like a minor issue that you can solve?”


Jason still unphased,” It doesn’t seem like an issue since over twenty people are already dead and the national guard is being called in to deal with the situation. With less than a day's notice.” Though this seems to have caught the Directors attention, Jason swore he could hear the wind of the Director whipping his head to face their phone.

“Wait what? Tell me the full story, now!” The Director demands, which Jason obliges and fills him in on the full story of what he knows. Including the Major that is currently waiting in his office.


On the other side of the phone, William is rubbing his hand, while trying to make sense of the report. When the door cracks open to who he thinks is his secretary. But it turns out to be the  U.S Attorney General Palmer, who has come to look for William as he is now late for the meeting by nearly 15 minutes. Due to Williams's attention being focused on the report. 

 

“Sorry Sir, I just got a very disturbing report. . .” William then fills in the Attorney general on the contents of the phone call with Daniel who is on hold at the moment. 

 

The Attorney-general has a similar reaction and grimly says, “I want to know what is happening within five hours. Since this may need to be reported to the President.” 

 

“Yes, sir,” William says crisply before relaying the order, to Daniel.

 

Back in the Boston office, Daniel hung up the phone after what he felt was one of the hardest phone calls of his career. He then looks to the Major, “Can I ask a favor of You?” To which the Major nods his head, already knowing what it will entail. Then after a flurry of preparation, they make the nearly two hours and a half drive to Bourne. With them arriving at around 1:30 in the afternoon. Though they don’t end up reaching the actual town until two.

 

As they approach the town the traffic dries up and several trucks pass them, with the backs filled with national guardsmen, fully armed.

“Woah, they look like they are about to go into a full-on battle,” Colonel Laing comments to which Jason can only nod in agreement.

 

They continue onwards, though suddenly machine gunfire can be heard echoing in the distance followed up by a seeming round of rifle fire. Leading to several subsequent echoes of gunfire in the distance. Leading the two men to share a concerned glance. Before spreading up, to the town. 

 

Once they arrive, they find it to be a practical ghost town with the streets empty except for the occasional national guard or police unit patrolling. Though it is striking to see them armed with bolt action rifles.

 

They then made their way to the police station, where after identifying themselves they were brought to the police chief's office. Which had been turned into something like a war room. Where Jason sees the senior police and National Guard officers. Though just before he can speak, two more individuals walk in. A national guard officer, and more interestingly to Jason, a petite young woman with neck-length blond hair and heterochromatic eyes, one blue and the other green. That young woman is Lucia Belladras, though only Jason has recognized her due to him remembering seeing several pictures of her at some point in time. Though he can’t remember.

 

Though Lucia pays him no mind to him other than a glance, he did see her eye widen slightly. Though it was only for a brief second. As she started to give a report, ignoring the two newcomers. 


“We have cleared out the abandoned lumber mill. Though the reinforcements did help out tremendously.” She reports calmly and evenly, if not dryly. She says giving the report which entails the ambush by the armed car. Which makes Jason wonder just how serious. Though at the mention of unnatural creatures Jason becomes completely lost. Though the guard major seems to have picked up on that and gave a hand signal for him to hold on a minute.

After Lucia does finish the report, a round of introductions the situation is explained to Jason and Colonel Lainge. Leaving them both disturbed by the current situation. Especially the reported number of guns the Brewers have stockpiled. So after the briefing was over, Jason excused himself to make a report to his boss. 

 

“So what did you find? “Brynn asks. 

 

“It's a major, situation their national guard and local police are dealing with a siege of a hostile group's compound. With the occupying group stockpiling thousands of weapons and at least three million rounds of ammunition. They also seemed to have a large number of machineguns as well. That they have incorporated into their compounds defenses. Which I hear has increased since the police started to sound the area yesterday night. The police report that they have upwards of 275 to 300 plus people in the fortress.” Jacob says seriously. Sending the Director into silence.

“This is serious, I will make some calls. The federal government will be getting involved. So the national guard can surround the compound but they are not allowed to store it.” Jason acknowledges that he doubts that the director has the power to stop the national guard to respond if they want. Though in any regard he passes along the message to which they agree. The national guard officers quickly started the change their plans.

Meanwhile the Director of the B.O.I make his report to the Attorney general, shocking him into silence. The President and Secretary of war were all informed and a meeting went between the three, eventually determining that a U.S. marine unit will be sent in and that unit alongside the Massachusetts National Guard will storm the compound.

The operation had now been turned into a federal-level investigation. With the outcome still unknown to all involved. It will be the case that starts the sparks that lead to the discovery of a need for an agency to handle certain types of cases, similar to this one. Though that spark is years away.

0