Chapter 35: Case 4 Part 10
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For Lucia, the day went slowly, as with the addition of the federal government. The hopes of a simple end end. There most likely going to be a litany of private investigations going to happen after this is all over. 


Though an advantage is that nearly 500 marines will be arriving tomorrow morning. To then hopefully, storm the base by tomorrow afternoon. It is impressive and ambitious though to some, a little too ambitious. Though Lucia’s gut tells her that it will be pulled off, if only barely. Since there is a Marine Barracks in Boston. This is where the marines will come from most likely. Though there will also be an additional 400 national guardsmen that are due to arrive during the day. To reinforce the numbers, in total the force attacking the enemy compound will be about 400 national guardsmen and 500 marines. 

 

The rest of the day was spent with Lucia assisting in drawing up plans. Before she helped organize the National Guard unit that would relieve the police surrounding the compound. 


As the police were deemed to be not equipped enough to handle taking on the cult. As a result, the police have been mostly removed from the operation, relegating them to support roles and security of the police station.


Lucia finished her work at around 11 at night, heading back up to her assigned empty office in the police station, before falling asleep.

October 17th, 1920

 

It was nearly a quarter past six in the morning when Lucia got awoken by the sound of gunfire in the distance. More so than she was used to, even after the national guard replaced the police surrounding the compound. So Lucia realized that something was odd, so she sleepily changed her clothes into something more appropriate and tiredly shuffled outside. To be greeted by several other national guard officers, who had similar ideas though they seemed to be a bit more awake than Lucia is. Though she attributes it to her being a bit of a heavy sleeper that takes a while to fully awaken. 

 

Though she doesn’t have the luxury to take her time waking up slowly. So she shakes herself to wake up. Which works somewhat well, though she is still a bit groggy. As she makes her way to the war room, which is still in Chief Fox's room at the moment, though it is planned that it will be moved, due to it becoming inconvenient to have it on the second floor of the police building. Though that hasn’t happened so, as Lucia arrives a the current war room. She finds it filled with the usual group of national guard officers and senior cops. Along with Colonel Lainge and Agent Stuart, who have seemingly taken command of the entire operation, as representatives from the military and federal governments. 

 

“Does anyone know what is going on?” Lucia asks, to no one in particular. Hoping that someone will know something. Though, it seems that no one no is clear on what is happening.

Though that changes when a national guards soldier, delivers a startling report, that a heavily armed group of combatants fought their way through the perimeter, into the Brewer estate. Seemingly reinforcing them. As at the same time several groups from the Brewer compound stormed out to assist. Including what sounds like a homemade armored vehicle. That to Lucia sounds offer similar to an armored technical. Though the number of combatants that made it into the enemy estate seems to be estimated at just over a hundred. Though they are heavily inaccurate as they are a rough guess from the forces manning the perimeter. 

 

The perimeter forces took heavy losses with their being 11 dead and 22 injured national guardsmen injured. Them being moved to back to town to the medical tent that was set up by the National guard yesterday.  So thankfully the injured already had doctors waiting to treat them when they returned.

It also allowed the senior officers in the room the luxury of standing in silence for a minute, trying to figure out what should be done. Though Lucia is the first to break the silence.

“The perimeter should be reinforced, even though the second round of reinforcements to the compound is unlikely. We can’t take the risk of letting another group through. As if another 100 people did join the defenders. Then storming the compound will be much more difficult than it already has.” Lucia suggested, knowing that she realizes that she has been allowed to listen in and not be booted out of the operation due to her last name and political clout. Her three colleagues, except William, have been politely asked to stay out of it. Though she is not sure where William has been since she hasn’t seen him since two nights ago. The night when they raided The Oak.

 

Though it seems that they at least take her seriously and seemingly respect her talent as an organizer and leader. Which Lucia appreciates rather than them only seeing her as a Belladras. Quite a few people view her.

 

Though no matter how others view Lucia, the group in the war room finish plans to reinforce the surrounding perimeter. Which is about 100 to 200 yards away from the estate on each side, due to several buildings outside the actual fenced-in part of the compound. Though Lucia can only guess that is the reason from the maps that she has seen of the estate. 

 

After the planning is done, the impromptu meeting is finished and everyone gets properly ready, as no one is in the mood to go back to sleep. Due to both the incident and the fact that the first marines are due to arrive at around eight in the morning. Which is in less than an hour and a half from now. 

 

So Lucia finishes getting ready then she starts to organize where the new command center will be located. Which is a bit of a drive from the police station, much closer to the enemy compound. More specifically it is near the south side of the national guard's perimeter. On an open field near the road.  Around 30 yards from where the national guard has been digging defensive trenches. While others are clearing a wooded area behind it, to make space and gain wood that will be incorporated into the trenches. 

 

The open field that the headquarters has already been cleared of tall grass and other vegetation. Allowing for several tents to be erected. With a wooden table being put in the largest one. With it most likely being brought over from the police station.

Lucia’s role in this is to oversee the building of the temporary headquarters. Though besides a headquarters a small armory and medical tent are built. To bring both closer to the fight. The medical center in town is being turned into a larger and more proper medical facility where stabilized soldiers will be brought. 

 

Over the next hour, Lucia helps supervise the building of the camp before taking her position as one of Colonel Laing’s staff officers. Helping him organize his unit, once they arrive. 

 

They do so, starting at 8:30 when the first trucks start unloading marines, with officers reporting to Colonel Lainge soon after. The marines then either wait near a constructed camp near headquarter or join the security perimeter. Lucia assisted in organizing the incoming marines.  Lucia spent the next four hours doing this until two in the afternoon.

 

When the last of the marines had finally arrived, Lucia guessed that there are about 500 marines in the area. The marines had also brought around five American Renaults, which were called the M1917 - 6 ton. Which combined with the nearly 400 national guardsmen. Meant that the assaulting force would number around a thousand men. Which produced a feeling that Lucia couldn’t quite explain, about so many soldiers to participate in what is technically a policing action in the Mainland United States. Though Lucia also thought that this showed just how much the U.S. lacked a federal police force that could handle these types of situations. Ones that the Fbi could fill the role of, as they did in Lucia’s previous life. 

 

Though no matter how Lucia felt about the situation, by around 3 p.m. the forces were ready to begin assaulting the compound. The first step in that is, to take the buildings outside the fenced-in compound. Before commencing a 3 pronged assault on the southern half of the compound. Which includes several buildings that seem to have become fortified strong points. Though the main objectives of the first push are, the security building by the gate. Three buildings on the West side of the compound, seem to be living quarters. Lastly, they plan on capturing 3 storage buildings in the southeast of the compound.  

 

Lucia was put along with Agent Stuart and Captain Hammers, in the Southside assault force. Specifically in the headquarters unit, where they would help lead the southern assault. The main goal of the unit is to take the Security building near the gate. Which has been turned into a makeshift bunker of sorts. It proves to be one of the first major obstacles to breaching the actual compound from the Southside. To assist in the assault, three of the light tanks were assigned to the southern advance. The left and right push is also given a single tank.  

 

When it comes down to the distribution of manpower, the southern advance will be made of 200 marines and 150 national guardsmen in the second wave. While the other two flanks will consist of 150 marines and 150 national guards in their second waves. The remaining 550 national guardsmen will maintain a perimeter. 

 

At around 3:45, all forces were in position, with them only waiting for the signal from Conel Laing. Lucia, Captain Hammer, and Agent Stuart. Were in one of the trenches, with Binoculars in hand, as they were to wait there until the security building has been captured. So until that happened, Lucia could only watch, help direct and provide cover fire with her rifle, which she had brought to her by Thomas. Who has nothing to do, so he volunteered. 

 

Though at 4 o’clock sharp, the whistle sounded and the assault began. National guardsmen in their shallow trenches opened up providing covering fire. While the marines and their accompanying tanks started advancing toward the compound. With the tanks focusing their fire on the building and two machine-gun posts near the gate. That they managed to silence after several well-placed shots. 

 



Meanwhile, at the front lines, the Marines rushed forwards behind the tanks. After about a minute of nerve-racking advance. They finally reached the fence to the compound. Though it has not been without casualties as several marines have been killed from cult fire and several more injured. As even if the cultists closest to the wall have been mostly suppressed. There is still fire coming from deeper inside the estate.

One of the tanks pushed through the gate. Breaking through the lock, knocking the gate to the side.  Marines rush inside, before spotting two machine-gun positions on the other side of the estate, in front of the main manor building. Leading them to catch the marines by surprise, killing a few before they can scatter and seek cover.  Two of the tanks immediately respond with concentrated fire and it is not long before they fall silent or are abandoned. 


Meanwhile, some of the marines, stack up at the door to the security building. Where after checking to see if the door is locked, they get one of the marines to shoot the lock with their shotgun before quickly opening it and then throwing several grenades inside.

Once they explode the marines rush in, overwhelming the defenders on the first floor. Before splitting up between heading upstairs. They also notice stairs downwards. Though they are under strict orders not to enter any underground structures. Based on the idea that there is an interconnected underground system,

 

The marines end up clearing the security building after a five-minute firefight, with the second floor being the hardest to defeat the defenders. As they end up fighting to the death. Unnerving the marines who witness their almost fanatical defense of the compound. Leading to heavier-than-expected casualties for the marines. Though as in the security building, the other groups are pushing the cultists and gangsters back not only to the main building on the north side of the compound. But seemingly underground as well. As most buildings seem to have a basement and no one has dared to see if they are connected or not.  

After nearly 15 minutes of waiting Lucia and her unit are given the green light to advance to the security building. Alongside several National Guard squads, who join them in advancing through the gate, and several tanks who are providing covering fire. Finally inside the Security building where she sees that part of it has become a place for the injured marines to be brought.

Lucia and her command unit take control of the situation and began to size up the battlefield. After they had done that, everything indicates that the marines are on track to complete the first part of the assault. 

 

Though it is at that moment that numerous growls and unnatural sounds fill the air. Lucia quickly makes her way upstairs to one of the north-facing windows. To try and find the source of the noise, she does locate a large stone structure, northwest, of the security building. Lucia, knowing what will soon happen. So she quickly makes her way to the tank, where she orders them to prepare their guns on the large wooden doors. Which suddenly fly off their hinges, with two large beasts shuffling out it. Surrounding them are nearly a dozen summoned horrors that charge the nearest group of marines. 

 

Lucia shouts to the tank crew, focusing on the larger ones. Then on the smaller ones, don’t let them get too friendly lines, they tear them apart!” Before getting to a position allow her to take some shots herself.

The tanks take her advice as they immediately shift their attention opening fire, killing one of them. Unfortunately, the second larger beast had already reached the tank on the right flank. It moved what appears to be its arms up before smashing down. Crushing the tank, it attempts to change directions toward some of the marines on the left flank. Though it doesn’t go far before taking several tank shells to the body, killing it.

The regularly summoned horrors are eventually killed or beaten back, but not before the right flank receives heavy casualties, forcing more national guardsmen to be sent in to reinforce the flank. Though the eastern flanks advance has been for the moment halted. As they need to regroup before they can move to take the building that the monster came out of. Leaving the last phase One building left to be taken. 

 

Though the southern and western flanks have achieved all their goals and are ready to move on to phase two. The go-ahead is given, as phase two mainly means taking a central building that is surrounded by several small roads. It is also the second and heaviest building at the start of the assault. Though Lucia notices that the defenders have mainly retreated, heading indoors.

So it only takes the west flank around a half hour to reach and storm the building with the help of covering fire from the Southern push.

The building, at least the above-ground portion was given up without much of a fight. Though from reports Lucia has gotten, the marines that stormed it believe that most of the building lay underground. Meaning that the only above-ground building remains beside the stone structure, which is currently being stored by the eastern flank. Is the massive three-story manor building which overlooks most of the estate and poses as an intimidating building to a storm. Though Lucia wonders how difficult the ever-growing underground network will be to take. Where Lucia knows the heavies fighting will take place. She also has no plans of volunteering in participating in the assault. Though she will still go if told to. Though for the moment a lull has been established, with only potshots coming from the mansion. As both sides regroup for the next round. 

 

After fifteen minutes of eerie silence, the marines had reformed with there being three teams established with one for each floor of the manor. Unfortunately for Lucia, she is not part of any group storming the manor, instead she is to be sent back to headquarters to update the Colonel on the progress. So she is escorted by several national guardsmen back to the headquarters tent, where the marine and national guard officers are discussing reports. She walks towards the side of the table opposite Colonel Lange.

 

“What is your report and opinion on the current situation.” Colonel Lange begins, asking Lucia for her take on the situation.

Lucia clears her throat before she begins, “Well, despite taking moderate losses due to a fierce defense, and some setbacks on the eastern flank. All sides have completed their goal, with enough strength. Though in my opinion taking the Manor building will not be too hard, as it seems that the defenders have mostly retreated underground. Due to the lack of fire and lack of activity coming from the manor. It seems that they have concentrated most of their defense in an underground network.” Lucia reports, the colonel taking several moments to consider her report.

 

Before responding,” Ok, do you have any suggestions on how we can take any underground structures?”

At that Lucia slightly grimaces,” Well it depends on how large the underground structure is and how they organize their defense?” Lucia pauses to think before continuing, “Though the main factor is how fast you want it taken and how many men are you willing to commit to taking it. Since I can assure you any assault will result in heavy casualties. Due to its close-quarter nature, it will be best to treat it as if you're assaulting a mini fortress. Though an alternative would be to starve them out, though we have no idea how long that could take.”  Lucia then gives out several more alternatives, all of them with their advantages and disadvantages. Though none of them make for an easy solution.

Though Colonel Lange is impressed by how well thought out Lucia’s proposals are, despite the difficulty of implementing them would be. Several other officers pitch in their ideas and out of all the ideas pitched, Lucia’s suggestions are among the best proposed. Most other suggestions are not able to stand up to scrutiny as Lucia’s can. Though this is because Lucia has her past life and has dealt with situations dozens of times.

So in truth, she is the most experienced person in the room in dealing with the situation. Though admittedly Lucia is lacking a lot of tools that she is used to having that make dealing with underground structures easier to storm. Namely tear gas, which is one of Lucia’s favorite methods for disorienting enemies in underground structures. Though she has none of her tools, so she just has to make do without them. 

 

As the meeting on dealing with underground structures is going on, the final assault on the above-ground structures commences, and as Lucia predicted the Manor was lightly defended, though there were multiple sets of stairs all around the manor.

Though more surprisingly or worrying there was a large entrance heading under the manor, one that was around was wide enough to fit two trucks next to each other. As well as tall enough for the trucks to drive through with around four or 5 feet to spare. 

 

This led to the plan being to use that as the main route of advance with the four remaining tanks, while marines assault through every stairway they can find. As Colonel Lange wished for the marines to secure the estate as quickly as possible, Lucia thinks that he underestimates just how bloody it will be. Lucia points out, though he somewhat brushes it off. Saying that he knows that it will be difficult and that he expects casualties. 

 

Though Lucia is relegated to searching for evidence in the Manor to be used to charge the few people that have surrendered. Which are only around 30 people at this point. Most of them are low-level gangsters who seemed to have no idea what they were signing up for.

 

On the side, Lucia looked through the libraries of the manor and found a treasure trove of occult texts, such as several German grimoires. Most notably an original 1470, grimoire with its translated title being, A Study of Occultic creature by Erich von Weinsberg. A famous German occult writer and translator. There a several other notable titles that Lucia recognizes. Though besides that one book, the rests are reproductions or copies. Though even with most of the books being replications. It is still an impressive collection of occult books. 

 

Though as Lucia goes through the manor looking for evidence for the upcoming trials and reports, or Lucia's hunt for occult literature she works in relative peace. With only the occasional rumble from below ground to remind her that the battle is still occurring. 

 

The battle to control the underground takes nearly 15 grueling hours to capture. Longer than anyone, even Lucia thought it would take. The casualties are also atrocious, with nearly 90 marines being killed in the assault along with all but 20 of the defenders. Leading to the total casualties being the marines 110 killed and 150 injured. The national guard has a much smaller, 25 dead, and 30 injured. Though even that is too much for most. As no one knew that the battle would be this bloody.

 

Also of note, one that surprises Lucia greatly is that Herbert Brewer and his wife were captured as they tried to commit suicide. Though their two adult children and Jacob Abbot were killed in the fighting. Though Lucia can only imagine how a metaphorical legal book is about to be thrown at the couple. Lucia predicts that the U.S. government and the public will be satisfied with nothing less than Capitol punishment. Something that will not be hard to bring about. Considering the more than 100 marines killed on their property.

The capture or killing of their leaders and securing of the underground labyrinth as the marines called it. Brings about the conclusion of a tragic and violent past several days. Starting the long aftermath, of legal providing as reviews. 

 

0