Chapter 39 Case 6
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

April, 15th 1921

 

It has been nearly two months since the supernatural case that Lucia had and during that time. Lucia has been busy during that time, either assisting in training her new employees and overseeing plans for the construction of the new base outside of town. With her occasionally being called in to help the New Bristel police on several occasions. Though, even with the somewhat laid back few months, Lucia feels a looming anxiety at the upcoming meeting with the U.S. government, which is happening in around 20 days. Though besides when it is happening and where she will be meeting with, the Attorney general and  Head of the Bureau of investigation at the very least. Though the exact reasons were not given, that doesn’t mean that Lucia doesn’t have any guesses. She does, and they make her excited and nervous at the same time, as she has already begun to worry about how the meeting will turn out. So Lucia has started to plan on several possible scenarios. Something that Lucia's colleagues have told her is that she is worrying too much. This, once Lucia realizes that, is somewhat surprising, as she is rarely anxious about upcoming events. Though Lucia ends up chucking up to a gut feeling that this upcoming meeting will be very important and have a large impact on the future.

 

Though her rather rare sense of anxiousness has to be put on hold, as she has just received a call from Chief Grey indicating that he will need her company's help. So now Lucia is standing in front of 20 of her men, William Moody, and two forensic scientists. Thomas Bradson and several agents were not present. They are in Virginia, helping solve an abnormal murder. So they will not be able to assist in this case. Though Lucia doubts that they will be needed. Though Lucia isn’t exactly sure of what this case will turn into. 

They are all standing in the basement of the main building as it is the only room that has enough room to fit everyone. So that Lucia can give a briefing.

 

“Ok, so here’s the situation, the local police have contacted us, early this morning several cops were sent to the house of Dr. James van de Blair after a concerned neighbor called. Reporting that they haven’t seen him in several days.” Lucia pauses to make sure everyone is paying attention, before continuing. “Several cops were sent, however after two hours of them failing to report in or return. Several more cops were sent to check in on them. They did not find the Doctor or the missing cops. Instead, they found a strange tunnel in the cellar of the house. This second group of cops had more common sense than the first group as they reported it to their boss who then contacted us.”

Lucia then gave a dramatic pause. “ They contacted us because of our previous dealings with us assisting them on cases like this. Though this is the first time that we will be assisting in such large numbers. Nonetheless, our job is to investigate and find Dr. Blair and the missing officers and deal with anything that we may find in the tunnel. Any questions?” Lucia gave several seconds for people to ask any questions before starting assignments.

 

“Ok Alpha squad will be with me and investigating the tunnel while the Bravo team will be with Moody and will be assisting the police in securing the perimeter. All non-combat personnel will be searching the house for any information that the doctor might have had on the tunnel. Now move out!” Lucia said, shouting the last sentence, before moving to her car with everyone else scrambling to get to the 4 trucks that Lucia purchased.  While Lucia got to her car which she would share with Moody, who would be driving. 

 

As the cars left Lucia noticed how a convoy had formed of around 6 vehicles, which snaked around town to the small residential area near the familiar University of New Bristel that Lucia spent four years studying.

The houses in the distance were rather modest two-story houses. They were where the University's professors and their families lived. It didn’t take long to find the one that was surrounded by police with makeshift wooden barricades keeping away a small number of curious neighbors. Curious if not a bit concerned at the police presence at a rather respected professor's home. 

 

Lucia herself had rather respected the man, even though she had never had the privilege to take any of his classes. Though Thomas had taken several of his classes and Lucia remembers him saying, Dr. Blair’s classes were interesting and enjoyable. Along with the fact that Dr. Blair seemed like a good person. 

 

The small convoy stopped near the scene,  and Lucia left the car to head to the trunk to get her equipment and weapons out which would be different due to the close quarters. Her bringing a Mondragon and two 1911s as she knows that she will most likely need the extra firepower. As collects her equipment, Lucia immediately flinches at an oversight she had made.  She had forgotten how it might look if armed troops went into his house. Though she would leave that to the police. Since public relations is a nightmare that Lucia wants to be nothing part of. So Lucia did the best that she could to ignore the curious stares of the onlookers as she and her men passed the police barricade and made her way into the medium-sized, two-story house. Lucia would have said was a bit big for a single person to live in, if not for the fact that Lucia lived in a manor that was well over four times the size of this home. With only herself and several living servants. 


As she walks towards her house, she sees a familiar face in that of Police Sergeant Matthiew Bonder who upon seeing her, walks towards her with a small smirk. “Hello Ms. Belladras, it seems that we are once again in need of your assistance. Let me show you where the tunnel is.”  At that, Lucia can’t help but smirk as she follows him inside. Meanwhile, the Alpha squad is busy preparing several lanterns and flashlights that will be brought in, as they had not got around to preparing equipment for exploring the cave. The Bravo team had split up into two groups. The first ten-man group was further split into two fire teams that would begin patrols around the house. The other five men would split their duties of assisting the two forensic scientists to search the house alongside, patrolling inside the house. Moody is with the Bravo team assisting in the patrols.

 

Meanwhile, Lucia is following Police Sergeant Bonder into the house, passing a sturdy wooden door that seems to have been slightly reinforced with several pieces of medal strategically attached to the back of the door.  Which caused Lucia's eyebrow to raise slightly, though she did not comment on that. She did look at the living room that she passed, which she lived in with a nice couch and a leather seat, and a coffee table. Along with several paintings on the wall of archaeological digs and what appears to be a family portrait. Overall the living room looked average. The kitchen and living room that Lucia passed also looked the same with all the furniture that one could expect of it.

Lucia and Sergeant Bonder eventually made it to the stairs, which brought about a surprise. As there are two medal brackets and what appears to be a large wooden beam. That seems to have fit between the doors. Locking the door from the outside. Which was odd, though the wooden beam had been moved and was leaning against the wall. Though Lucia was unsure if it was the professor or the police officers who had moved it. 


As Lucia looked over the door, the Alpha squad began to enter the house. Lucia turned around, “Is everyone ready to begin investigating the tunnel?” Lucia asks, and several yes ma'ams come in reply.

 

“Ok, when we enter someone with a light source takes a point.” Lucia finishes before turning back to the door which she slowly opens, then she raises her rifle slowly. As she starts to creep down the wooden stairway. The Wooden stairs creak as she steps on them with her leather boots. The chorus of creeks increases as soldiers follow her down the stairs. 

 

As she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she swivels to the left to gain a better view of the room. She meanwhile hugs the wall to ensure that she is protected from any rear attacks or from that of her right flanks. Her soldiers mirror that action as they follow down the stairs.

 

As Lucia takes a look around the room, she sees that it is mostly barren and empty with several empty bookcases and some unused furniture. What catches her eyes is an empty bookcase that has rotated nearly 90 degrees on what at a glance looks like a track that is built into the floor. That has hidden the entrance to a makeshift tunnel that seems to be dimly lit through an unknown method deeper in the tunnel.

Lucia makes several hand motions and a soldier with a brightly lit candle in one and a 1911 in the other walks in front of her as she takes point as they prepare to enter the tunnel. Two others put down their rifles and start heading towards the bookshelf to start removing them from the tracks. As the last thing Lucia wants is for the bookshelf to close behind her and her men, potentially trapping them in there.

 

Though Lucia lets them work as she and the remaining 13 men begin making her into the makeshift and dimly lit tunnel. The lanterns and flashlights that her men brought lighting up the tunnel, pushing back the ominous darkness that had engulfed the tunnel before, Though as they walked in several ominous moans that sound vaguely human can be heard further inward. Causing several soldiers to gulp loudly, though Lucia isn’t one of them. She does silently hope that means that police officers are still alive. Though her cynical mind betrays her hope and she tightens her grip on the gun. As she slowly follows the soldier's pulling point. 

 

After walking for nearly a minute in eerie silence. The group approaches what appears to be a natural cavern, though Lucia thinks that she might see what appears to be some man-made carving in the distance near a lantern.

The moaning and almost crying-like sound that was heard earlier has stopped and started several times, though it is slightly quieter than before. Though Lucia forces herself to concentrate as she and her men approach what appears to be a somewhat open area. Though both stalagmites and stalactites dot the floor and ceiling respectively. 

 

Though just as the soldier in front of Lucia leaves the man-made tunnel. A blur happened and he dashed backward firing several rounds with three of them hitting whatever he was firing at. With a loud cry, it crashes, though it doesn’t stop crying or yelping. Lucia rush's forward to investigate and soon spots what was shot. A hideous creature that looks somewhat like a summoned horror, but also a bit different. As it has batlike elements grained in it. Something that Lucia has never seen before. Though she doesn’t hesitate to take out her handgun and execute the downed beast.  Leaving Lucia’s ears ringing at the echo of the gunshots. Leading her to almost shout. “Spread out in teams and move forward.”

Lucia, joined by three soldiers, continues in a straight line toward the line at the other end of this natural cavern. While the other soldiers make two fire teams of five and flank Lucia on both her left and right side.

 

Soon the right flank is out of sight as they have to travel past a rock column that cuts off part of the cave. 30 seconds after that there is a commotion and then an unnatural battlecry, followed by a very human scream of pain, finished by 4 successive gunshots, then silence. Lucia immediately signals a halt while sending two soldiers to investigate. Leading to a tense few minutes, until they return.

 

“What is the situation?” Lucia says in a terse manner. The soldier immediately responds. “Charlie's team got ambushed by another creature and got Jackson pretty bad in the leg. Though they have him stabilized, he is out of the fight.” 

 

Lucia nods and immediately arranging for him to be removed and Charlie to be reinforced by shifting forces from the alpha and bravo team to them. Before continuing, with the teams finally reach a major turn where there seem to be signs of some man-made construction. 

 

Though when Lucia and the 8 men with her turn the corner, they are left speechless at what they see, leaving two men on the verge of shock, with Lucia giving hand signals for them to fall back. As she doesn’t need them to potentially cost them the surprise. If they can’t focus properly.

The sight that truly terrifies them is the creature that appears to have been Dr van to Blair. Though something has happened to him, as fur has begun to grow all across his body. With the furless patches that cover most of his body being gray and natural looking. His face becomes slightly elongated in an almost batlike manner that is reinforced by the way that both his eyes and ears have become somewhat batlike. 

 

Though what is equally shocking is what has his full attention. Which is a third batlike horror, that is strewn upon a stone altar. That is covered in engravings, though Lucia doesn’t take too much time to look upon it. Before signaling the six remaining soldiers to take up positions and to fire on her mark, What ends up being a huge barrage of rifle fire. That tears the creature that used to be Dr. Blair, to shreds killing it instantly. The horror on the altar seems to be dead as it does not react to the gunfire, though Lucia puts a bullet in its head, just to be safe. 

 

Several seconds later Charlie's team rushes from a different path, guns up, before instantly relaxing after seeing friendlies. Lucia then issues orders.  “Charlie, get the forensic team down here to bag these corpses. Alpha and Bravo team, with me.”  She swiftly orders, with Charlie's team immediately sending two men to get the forensics scientist. While the rest start to prepare the corpses for photographing the moving.

 

Meanwhile, Lucia and the other 6 men stack up on a wooden door that leads into a manmade room. As Lucia realizes that the material behind the altar is brick and not natural stone.

After stacking up, Lucia gives the order to breach and a soldier opens the door, slightly before kicking it the rest of the way open. To reveal a small study room that has several bookshelves filled with books. Then on the far side of the room is a rack with suspicious cloaks on it.  There are also several strange items on the desks and table that fill two sides of the room. There are also another two wooden doors. Leading further into this strange underground structure. Though compared to the first door and the second door on the left side of the room. The door on the far side of the room looks very old.  Confusing Lucia slightly. Slowly Lucia and two soldiers head to the third door. 

 

Once they arrive, Lucia slightly opens the door taking a peek and gasping at what she sees. A fully stone room, with nearly half a dozen tombs in the center of it. Lucia is momentarily lost for words, before she turns to the other soldiers and orders, “Make sure there isn’t anything living in those tombs, but be careful and you better not damage them.”  They nod and start to check each one with two moving the stone cover, while a third is ready with a rifle at hand. This lasts nearly an hour, and while this is going on. Lucia is going over the different books on the bookshelves. Realizing that Dr. Blair was not who he seemed to be and that this seemingly normal call. Just became more abnormal. 


It has been nearly five hours since the underground structure was cleared. In the time since then, Lucia has spent supervising her scientific personal document, studying, and preparing to move things. With some things, namely the corpse of the monsters killed. Already been moved nearly two hours ago, to the morgue in the science building or the newest building purchased. While the corpses in the tombs have been left there while more information is found on them. The books that were found in the underground study have just been boxed and will be moved either by the end of today or tomorrow. Lucia thought as she walked through the tunnel as she was preparing to head back to check on the citation and possibly change the squad on security. Though admittedly there aren't a lot of troops to work with.

 

Though any thoughts that Lucia shatters with the sound of gunfire from above. Lucia quickly draws her pistol and rushes forward back to the late professor's house. She arrives in under 30 seconds. As she does so, the sound of gunfire increases.

 

When she reaches the basement, she spots one of the forensic scientists that was moving boxes of books upstairs, sheltering in place. Along with a police officer covering the stairs with his pistol. Lucia immediately approaches. “ What is the situation?” The cops turn and shrug, “I don’t know, one moment it’s quiet, The next over a dozen people start firing with rifles,” Lucia nods, and heads upstairs. Walking straight into the kitchen which had been turned into a makeshift medical center with several injured soldiers that have been dragged in that are being given first aid by two soldiers. Who have abandoned their weapons for a mixed assortment of bandages and gauze? After a brief glance, Lucia moves on words to the living room. Slowly, trying to avoid any line of fire.

 

Lucia can quickly reach the living room, after slinking through the hallway. Quickly making her way to the living room where two soldiers and a cop have taken up positions at the two windows overlooking the street. The cop armed with a rifle, that he most likely obtained from a soldier that had either been wounded or killed. Something that Lucia hoped was the former. Though she had no time to think of that as she made her way to the last empty window in the room. She peeks out, quickly spotting several gunmen in cloaks that seem to be trying to push forward, despite the bodies of their dead comrades littering the street. In the aftermath of their ambush. Joined by the bodies of several cops and soldiers who were caught by surprise out of cover.

 

Lucia, seeing one from one abandoned police car to another, takes a risk and pops out firing two shots. One or both hitting as the man drops like a rock presumably dead. She is then forced to return to cover as a crack of a gunshot whizzes past her head. 

 

Lucia then turns her head to the other soldiers in the room who nod respectfully, acknowledging her presence. Lucia noticing the cop trembling struggling to hold his weapon. Mentally unprepared for such a conflict or the loss of life of his comrades and presumable friends. Lucia, knowing the man will be useless in any fight, quickly calls out.” We got this covered, and helped take care of the injured.” Which the cop nods gratefully, handing Lucia the rifle he had, before making his way to the kitchen. 

 

As that happens the sound of car engines starts to enter Lucia's hearing and she can hear the distinct sounds of the two soldiers in the room. Knowing that help has finally arrived and that the unexpected battle has reached its conclusion. Though for Lucia, the victory fails to remove the somber mood that has begun to overcome Lucia. As thoughts of the casualties of this unexpected bloodshed fill Lucia's mind.

 

Though she can’t falter now as she decides to make the move to assist the cops and after stealing herself she shouts, “ Provide supporting fire to the reinforcing police.”

Reaching most in the house as a round of fire rings out at the last few enemy gunmen. Who are unable to properly return fire on either the soldiers in the house or the cops that have just begun to swarm the area. With the conclusion to battle Lucia wearily holsters her pistol and makes her way to the door to greet her police rescuers. 

 

As she opens the door and makes her way out there she sees that the cops had already started heading her way. Only allowing her to take a moment to see the street to see the corpses of several cops and the soldiers that she had recently hired and of what she makes out to be over a dozen mysterious gunmen. The reasons for attacking remain mysterious, though she is confident that the findings are underground.


As she gazes at the scene a shout quickly gains her attention. Is that of an enraged, if not equally befuddled Police chief Grey. Who is surrounded by several heavily armed cops. With Lucia sighing, knowing that her day is far from over.

0