Volume 2 – Chapter 4 – The Night Walk With a Serious Conversation™
106 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The floor beneath my feet let out a squeaky sound after I stepped outside the ryokan, on the engawa-type veranda. The inn might’ve been quite luxurious for a high-school field trip, but there was no doubt that it’s been here for generations and counting. The full moon made for a sufficient light source even in spite of it being well past midnight. As a mere student, I was supposed to be fast asleep in my room, but there was an important errand to be taken care of tonight. 

I waited in the shadows, hugging myself with both my arms to withstand the surprisingly piercing, chilly breeze.

“Haa…” I let out a small sigh. I was getting impatient and the cold in combination with the fatigue that’d built up during the day wasn’t helping.

After a short while I heard a sound of light footsteps closing in. Surprisingly the cracked, wooden floor was quiet this time.

“SORRY FOR BEING LA-”

“Shut your face!” I silence him before all the teachers wake up and find us here.

“Even though you shouted yourself just now, hehe~”

“...” I didn’t comment on Hayato’s remark.

“So?” He became a bit more serious. “Why did you call me here this late? Wait, don’t tell me you want to confess~ I’m flattered, but as much as I love you as a friend, my heart has already chosen its maiden~” Aaaand back to the usual Hayato we go.

“Huh, I just got friend-zoned by a guy. That’s an achievement, I guess.” I didn’t feel like quarreling about what he said, so I just went with the flow. “It’s a pretty common event, I wrote it down in my notes.”

“A-ah, sure, I remember!”

“As expected.”

“Sowryyy! There was a lot of stuff there, and then my class called me, and then we partied, and… you know!”

“Calm down, it’s not a big deal. Though I can’t find those notes anywhere. Let’s hope I memorized all the events…” It must’ve fallen out of my pocket sometime during the riverside barbeque. “In short, the Night Walk With a Serious Conversation™ happens either during the Beach Episode™ or the Field Trip™. Or both. So let’s get this over with, just to be safe.  

“Hmmm…”

“Wh-what?” He looked at me suspiciously.

“If that's the case why did you invite me instead of Saki-chan?”

“...!” He caught me off-guard. He’s right that it might’ve been a better choice… But I simply had to go with Hayato this time. I must’ve blushed involuntarily, which only made Hayato more curious.

“Heee, you guys had a fight, didn’cha~” That bastard reads me like an open book.

“Well… Quite the opposite actually.”

“Hee? What do you mean?”

“We talked a few things through during the barbeque…”

“So what’s the matter? I don’t get it.”

“...”

We continued to walk quietly along the engawa stretching around the ryokan. The wind became stronger, filling the silence that aroused after Hayato’s question. A few of the leaves of nearby trees flew towards the two of us, reminding us that autumn is slowly approaching and that the things are never meant to stay the same forever.

“Do me and Saki… not really act or look like a couple?” I stopped and asked as soon as the wind calmed down.

“Hmmmm” He started mulling my question over in an over exaggerated manner. “Wasn’t that the point? So that the world wouldn’t break again?

“Yea, but that’s not what I mean… She said that she feels ‘neglected’ as my girlfriend. That she isn’t getting enough attention from me and so on…”

“She’s right, you know?”

“Not beating around the bush, I see…” Even though I expected his answer it still hurt me and I lowered my gaze.

“I mean, since we got here you guys haven’t even been on a single date.”

“True-”

“And it’s like you’re actively restraining yourself from even the slightest contact when someone’s looking. That’s not cool, Hiro.” Hayato calling me by my normal name is, nor ever was a good sign. At least I can tell he’s now serious and not just being Hayato. “Look at it from her perspective. She’s all lovey-dovey while you’re constantly coming up with excuses.“ I just stand there and listen. The worst part being that he’s 100% right.

“...”

“...” We fell silent again for a second. Hayato sighed, put his hands behind his head and started walking forward. “You love her, right?”

“H-huh? Of course I do, what’s up with that question all of a sudden?!” I answer nervously.

“Then it’s all good.” He smiled back at me. “Don’t fuck this up, Heeeero~”

“I know, I know…” I mumble to myself. I stood there and looked down trying to gather my thoughts. There was still one thing on my mind that was bothering me ever since we’ve gotten here. No. Even well before that.

“Hero, something’s wrong?” Hayato rushed forward and was peeking back at me from behind the corner. His hair, now all tied into one big braid, was glistening in the moonlight beautifully. But there’s now way in hell I'll admit that out loud.

“...” I make up my mind, clench my fist and approach him with a calm smile on my face.

“Huh? What’s up with you?”

“There’s actually one more thing that bothers me… But, god please, don’t laugh.”

“Of course I won’t, don’t worry~” That sounded anything but sincere.

“Has it crossed your mind that Saki might not actually like anime, or is it just me? You know, that she’s faking it for some reason.” There goes nothing. Even though there was no answer for a second, I felt a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders.

“Hmmm, nope ~”
“...”

“...”

“Huh? That’s it? Won’t you say something more?” 

“I mean, Saki-chan is an honest girl. I doubt she’d stoop to faking her feelings.”

“I know, but she could be playing it up for me, or something. You know, kinda forcing herself to watch the stuff I recommend her because she doesn’t want me to feel bad or something…”

“Would it be so bad for a girlfriend to try and get into her boyfriend’s hobby?~”

“... I guess not? I don’t know, there’s something off about it. Though I could be just imagining things. But you know…” I stop for a brief moment, but then decide there’s no need to hide anything from my best buddy after saying all that stuff just now. “I really want to make her a true weeb, not just a normie anime fan.”

“pf- PFFFF HAHAHAH! What was that about! Don’t come at me with stuff like that out of nowhere, haha!” He burst into laughter after hearing the statement that sounded waaay cooler in my head.

“Oh, shut your mouth, you know what I mean.”

“Yea, yea, sorry, it was just so random, haha. But I get what you mean. Don’t worry, just give her time. She already knows you’re a little stange, so maybe just dose your weirdness carefully~”

“Huh…”

“Hm? Everything alright?” He leaned in slightly while asking.

“It’s a rare phenomenon for you to talk sense.”

“How rude! I’m a very intelligent individual, if I may say so!”

“Yea yea, sure you are.” For a second I forgot he’s not an actual girl and gave him a few light head pats. I regretted that instantly after he looked at me like ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Fortunately, a faint voice from behind the corner caught our attention and brought us back to our senses. “Crap, the teachers. We need to go back.”

“Wait, they aren’t teachers.”

“Huh? How do you know that?”

“I’d recognize that angelic voice even from the deepest parts of the forgotten waters of solitude~”

“Oh no, it’s Hiyaoka, isn’t it.” My first instinct was to run, because as everyone knows, the school anime Student Council has power transcending that of gods themselves and could do worse things to us than mere teachers. But I stopped right in my tracks as I heard who she was talking to, and what their conversation was about.

“RIIIIIN-CHAAA- MBPHH??”

“Shut. Your. Face!” I silence him by literally slapping his mouth shut with the palm of my hand.

“What was that?” Hiyaoka seemed to notice our little fuss. Fortunately, we were fast enough to hide behind the wall quietly.

“I wonder… Maybe a kitty?~”

“A kitty?” Hiyaoka’s eyes must’ve lit up, judging from her weirdly excited but still somehow monotonous voice.

Maa maa, calm down, Rin.” Kanazaki-kaichou brought Hiyaoka back to Earth.

“Please excuse me, a moment of weakness.”

“No, no, don’t worry~ But more importantly… They called again.”

“Again? Seriously?” They both sat down on the edge of the engawa. Hiyaoka was clearly displeased with Kaichou’s report. The wind continued to blow delicately, making for a subtle ambient of the night scenery.

“Yes. They said they want to meet tomorrow evening. It seems as if they still weren’t happy with how things are going~”

“Bastards. So? What about the test of courage then? 

“I’ll figure something out, don’t worry~” Kaichou said with a bright smile.

“I told you that guy would cause trouble.”

“What do you mean, didn’t you find his perfectly spot-on notes?~”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean he’ll nail everything he wrote down. I have a bad feeling, Yuuri.”

“Tehe~Are you gonna scold me again?~” Kaichou did her best to sound playfully, but even from behind the corner we could tell she wasn’t completely at ease.

“Eh…” Hiyaoka sighed and stood up. “Is he really the best we could get?”

“Yes. I need you to trust me. I’ve been watching him for a very, very long time. He’s the best candidate.” Kaichou’s light-hearted tone was gone in a flash. She was speaking with all the seriousness she got, although I didn’t have a clue what she was talking about. Who called and wanted to meet? And are those… my notes they’re talking about? If so… 

“Ok. I believe you.” Hiyaoka said and started heading inside with an ever so slight hint of a smile on her doll-like face. “Oh, and next time, please don’t go walking around with that anime pendant out in the plain view.”

“Soryyy~” Kaichou got scolded by her subordinate again. I thought to myself that their relationship was unsettlingly similar to mine and Hayato’s… Did Hayato seriously fall in love with a more sarcastic, female version of me? “Well then, I’m counting on you tomorrow, Rin~”

“And vice-versa, Yuuri.” She said quietly and made her way inside, leaving Kaichou still sitting down on the veranda. After a good minute or two of me and Hayato just observing, still in the ‘fly on the wall’ mode, Kaichou finally stood up. She looked at the full moon suspended high in the sky accompanied by countless stars.

“...” She was as beautiful as a princess. The somber blue light in combination with her now nostalgic-looking eyes that seemed to be full of worry, made for a truly mysterious scene I couldn’t entirely get a grasp on. She put her hand in her pocket and took out a creased piece of paper. She straightened it and took a quick look, after which she smiled. Her eyes still filled with unease, but an unease that also reflected a spark of hope. She was giving off a completely different vibe than when she was with Hiyaoka. She didn’t play strong anymore. She was worried.

“I need you to trust me…” She whispered like a chant, most likely referring to what she just said to Hiyaoka. “If there’s someone who can do it… it’s him.”

A brand new, equally beautiful day came to greet the still-sleepy students of Nagayama High School gathering on the field in front of the ryokan. The Sun was shining so bright that every surface seemed to be glistening and giving off light on its own. Me and Hayato were sitting down on a nearby bench, each of us holding a masterfully crafted acoustic guitar that we borrowed from the music club just now. 

“Okay, so this is E Major, right?” I strum the strings that produced a more or less clean sound at last.

“Perfect~ You’re getting the hang of it! Now let’s do the C chord. Just place your fingers here, here, aaaand here.”

“Huh? How is that even possible? Wait wait wait, how?” Who even came up with this abomination of a chord? I do my best to mimic Hayato’s fingers’ movement, but I just can’t force mine to that weird claw-like shape kind of thing. We’ve been sitting here for at least 20 minutes now, which for the finger tips of someone who has held a guitar like once in his lifetime was an absolute torture. At least we had something to keep our minds from the events of yesterday's (or today’s,  to be exact) night. Not that it was traumatic or anything. Neither of us probably felt like bringing what seemed to be a serious topic first thing in the morning.

“And that’s G!” Hayato’s fingers quickly changed shape and his guitar’s strings trembled in harmony.

“Oh, come on, I’m gonna get a cramp at this rate!” As my fingers fought for their lives the group of students in front of the ryokan was becoming bigger and bigger, suggesting that we should probably be wrapping our practice session up and getting ready for today’s ever so exciting hiking journey. Yay.

“Please excuse my tactless remark, but take your lady-like fingers off the guitar and join the group, Oogawa-san. Sekuhara, you too” A petite girl came and stood before us, blocking the sunlight. Even though her entire body was now covered in pitch-black shadow, at this point it was obvious that it was Hiyaoka. And by the way, why am I the only one she calls without adding the ‘-san’? “Come on, get up.” She leaned in and took the guitars from us by force. Oh god, don’t tell me, did she just accidentally-
“RIN-CHAN TOUCHED MY FINGERS, OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD, OMYGOD!!!”

“Quiet down, please. Pervert.” Completely unbothered Hiyaoka quickly turned around without a trace of embarrassment and headed back to the crowd, probably to find the owners of the instruments.

“She touched my hand, she touched my hand~” Hayato was singing quietly to a melody he made up on the spot, whilst sounding like a 5 year old who got praised by the kindergarten teacher. I clench my fist a few times, to relieve the stress that has built up from me trying to finger A Minor (Sorry, had to make this joke) and punch Hayato in the face, seemingly out of nowhere.

“Hey, what’s that about?! Wasn’t it supposed to be the other way around?!” 

“Sorry, couldn’t resist. Treat it as an example.”

“Honestly, do we have to recreate even this trope???” 

“Yup. No exceptions.”

“Eeeeh… Fine. But don’t come crying that I hit you too hard later on, Hero!” We were referring to the infamous nose-bleeds anime characters get when anything remotely fan-service-y happens. Since it’s not exactly how real people’s bodies work, me and Hayato made an agreement that he would punch me in the face whenever a scene like that occurs. I just couldn’t help, but demonstrate what I meant.

“Good morning!”

“...hi.” Saki and Mai put a stop to our little quarrel. While Saki was in high spirits as usual, Mai was apathetic, to say the least… as usual.

“Hayato, are you alright?! Your nose is bleeding!” Saki noticed quickly after we greeted them back.

“Hehe, don’t worry, don’t worry~ Rin-chan touched me, that’s all~” He explained ambiguously with an audibly clogged nose.

“What do you mean, she did that to you…? I mean, she can be a bit cold, but I would never expect her to…

“That’s not it, I’ll explain to you later.” I noticed Mai did that Nasal Exhale™ thing. She must’ve guessed what’s going on and just couldn’t resist. Noone reacted to it in any way however. “Anyway, it seems like we still have a few minutes. I need to talk to you guys about something.” I say to the three of them after I confirm the Student Council in the distant, is still busy. I then proceeded to summarize what me and Hayato heard in the night on the veranda. I skipped my ‘serious talk’ with Hayato though, for obvious reasons.

“You’re right, that sounds pretty strange…” Saki said with her eyes glued to the ground and left hand supporting her chin in a detective-like pose.

“There’s still too little info for me to say for sure, but… Hayato might’ve been right.”

“Oooo, let’s go! I’m getting the hang of this anime thing! But, what do you mean, exactly? Tehe~” He did that stupid-ass pose with the tongue sticking out like he was an anime girl not keen on logical thinking.   

“Eh…” I sighed, before continuing. “You said that maybe Hiyaoka’s been trapped in this world for some time now. As I said, it’s too early to say for sure, but it seems like she and Kaichou could be looking for help.”

“Which would make them our equals…” Saki finished my thought.

“And allies. Possibly.”

“Jesus Christ…” Mai opened her mouth suddenly. She then turned around and started heading for the group waiting in front of the ryokan.

“Wanna share some of your thoughts with us?” I raise my voice and ask before she’s too far away to hear.

“...” Unwillingly at first, she turned her gaze back to us eventually. “If that was the case, they’d tell us right away.”

“...” She’s right. But I didn’t want to admit it out loud. If they needed help getting back to our world as we do, they’d most likely be open with us about it and ask to join forces. It should be quite obvious to them that we’re not NPCs. We too are able to tell there’s something off about those two.

“Hoho, Mai-chan isn’t just a beauty! She’s got the brains to back it up!” Hayato casually complemented her.

“Sh-shut up, you cheeky wanker! Ya want one more punch to the face?”

“I’m good, thank you~” Mai gave him one more disgusted look and finally left without saying anything else.

“...She does have a point.” Saki summarized, after only the three of us were left near the benche bathed in the morning sunlight.

“Yeah… Listen up, here’s the plan. What’s the next big event?”

“I dunno, you lost the note!” Hayato continued to give off a ‘lovable idiot’ vibe.

“The test of courage, right?” Saki on the other hand, remembered well.

“Bingo. And that’s our chance.” Judging by the setting, the Test of Courage™, also known as the Kimodameshi™ will involve us walking into the deep dark forest in pairs. Which makes for a great opportunity to get to know something about our mysterious Student Council.

“I’ll go together with Saki. Hayato… I can’t believe I’m saying this, but if any of us is gonna get some information out of Hiyaoka, it’s you. Don’t screw this up. And more importantly, don’t do anything illegal.

“REALLY?!!! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!”

“I should not have said that.” I say to Saki.

“Haha, I’m glad he’s happy! But what about Kanazaki-kaichou? 

“We’ll have Mai be her pair. Whether she likes it or not.”

“Will she agree?”

“She acts tough, but I have a feeling going into the forest at night alone is the last thing she’d want to do. Well, maybe other than going in there with me.” I said in a light tone.

“I hope you’re right…”

There was one more thing I didn’t tell them, nor did I mention it in my notes. An inevitable part of the Kimodameshi™  is for the pairs to get separated at some point. I’ll try to convince Hayato to lose Hiyaoka after she spills the beans, though it might not be easy knowing him. Mai is most likely aware of this necessity, judging by her weeb-knowledge, but when it comes to Saki… I think we’ll be better off without her knowing about this.

Before we noticed, the evening came and the infamous Test of Courage™ was about to begin… 

3