Chapter 6: Tea Party to Dominate (2)
588 2 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Tea Party to Dominate (2)

Scarlett's POV

For a few days of preparation I had my things sorted out for the ladies I want to become close friends with, perhaps gaining some alliance and favors.

I've gotten gifts that might intrigue each one of them and might even gain some trust.

For Lady Rebecca, a book about boy's love to which I personally assigned Elise, my trusted maid, to buy that book for me without being seen. I've also taken measures that I have not been in any contact with pollen since from their sources she's allergic to flowers.

For Lady Felicity, with her own chocolate addiction I've prepared the chef a secret recipe to be followed.

For Lady Verosica, I've taken account of how she's allergic to animals so I have her order a custom stuffed animal of a cat. Particularly one of my favorite breeds, a Persian cat.

Elise had some trouble with the last one. Lady Clarisse, the girl, wanted a sharp object because of her fascination with these. One would say it's not a redeeming quality for a lady but I beg to differ.

I've thought of giving her a sword, rapier or a knife. For someone in the ranks of nobility she must has all the sharp objects in this kingdom... that's been modeled after Europe and the West.

So I arranged a letter for a blacksmith to make throwable kunai. Something unique and you can't get anywhere designs here.

I would say I'm doing a pretty good job planning all these. Now I have already written my confirmation of attendance at all of their hosted events.

"Milady..."

Ah Elise must be here to show me her progress with the Intel gathering. "The rumors spread like wildfire among my friends and they wanted to help you gather the Intel you need." She hands me a list of servants who must've volunteered for the difficult job.

"Did you also tell them about the fine rewards that I have?" I ask, smiling coyly and Elise nods.

"That part was the one that pushed them all to agree, milady." (Elise) chuckles a little bit before I take a look at all of the servant's list.

Who knew there would be so many who want money this badly.

Meaning they're desperate...

"I need to make a list of information on these servants who want to be my pawn. I can't risk one of them betraying me." I gave the list back to Elise who raises her hands in defense.

"But milady I assure you, these are trustworthy people." (Elise)

"Elise, just because they're trustworthy it doesn't mean they don't have the will to betray me once they have something on the line."

I remember one of the maid's betrayals that the original Scarlett before, the maid seemed trustworthy at first but her family got involved to which she started working for the enemy. "If I see something as a liability. I'll cut them off. I need servants who have nothing and by that: No family, no home, no one to care for and nowhere to go. To be my intel collectors."

Elise nods and looks at her list of her servant friends that was willing to do the jobs and narrowed it down to two. "From the requirements you've requested these two are the most fitting ones." She listed two names and I recognized one of them.

"This one maid. Fire her." I pointed at the maid that was on the very top list and Elise looked at me with confusion in her eyes. "But milady- she's someone who has a lot of connections-"

"I know that very well." I looked at the name of this maid and groaned. In the future game she was one of the spies that will poison me and will lead to my death. For she was one of the people that had a grudge against my family.

I won't be even surprised if she's carrying poison with her right now. "My orders must be carried out. Tell this maid to move and send her regards."

Even if she hasn't done it, perhaps I could even change her mind about me, the new me. However, this traitor is thick skinned and I won't risk the chance of betrayal in my mist.

If only I can send Elise as my informant instead but I need her by my side keeping things organized and clear. "Elise, are my orders clear?" I asked my maid who was still baffled to see that one of her friends was fired but all she could do was bite her lip and nod.

Please, you're lucky I'm not the original Scarlett. That woman would've ordered to execute her without any hesitation. She's merely lucky I'm leaving her unemployed.

"Y-Yes, milady. What about the other maid?" (Elise) asks and I don't seem to remember this other maid on the list to hold any grudge against my family or anything that might lead to my death. "She's good to be our new informant. I'll be needing her background information and such after though."

For now I should focus on finding a dress fit for a good impression that's not pink.

I stood up and gathered through all the closet with the new clothes my maid had brought for me. I couldn't understand why the majority of them were now blue but that doesn't seem to be fitting of my color. "Elise... perhaps next time the next time you shop for my dress. Something a bit more dark and alluring would be nice."

I know I should be grateful that my trusted maid thought that I looked good in blue but certainly I would say the opposite. I look like a cheery woman in this outfit. Imagine me saying yippie in this frilly blue dress that has a tight corset on the chest. "Y-You don't like it, milady? You chose the blue dress from before so I thought..." (Elise) frowns at my words- I didn't say I didn't liked them!

The blue dress that I wore to meet my brother was the only thing left- it's either that or pink!

"No- heavens I like them. It's just a shame it doesn't match with my dark hair. I think my brother fits the theme of blue more than me." I had to conjure up a lie because for some reason seeing Elise frowning or sad hurts my heart. "No need to frown, come now smile. I'll wear this one for today."

I took out the dark blue dress in a hurry, one that didn't scream, look at me I'm sparkly and gave it to Elise to help her put it on me. She took the dress clearly in a good mood and I undressed, taking in the sleeves and putting on my pristine necklace and went on my way after Elise brushed my hair at a perfect angle.

"Have the gifts been wrapped and such?" I stand up from the chair and walk together with Elise in the hallways.

"Yes, milady."

"And the carriage?"

"Just waiting for you to depart, milady."

I nod in admiration for Elise keeping up with what I need. One of these days- she's going to need a day off and I'll be stuck with the incompetent servants who won't stop gossiping about noble's love life. "Elise, I order you to never get fired by anyone. If someone is also picking on you, tell me. I'll put them in their place." I told Elise wondering if the other servants have clearly seen my favoritism towards Elise.

Such things like these can lead to jealousy and harassment. I have to make sure she's protected and safe. "Hehe..." (Elise) chuckles a bit and I look at her a little mad because I feel like she's not taking me seriously.

"I am happy that I am useful to milady but you need not to worry. The other servants are actually glad that I'm taking care of you." she says casually and I cross my arms by those words.

"Hmph. You mean they're happy they're not the one dealing with a spoiled lady like me." I scoff, thinking good riddance. If they don't want to deal with me I would rather have Elise to be my only companion in this house other than my big brother.

"If you put it on your own words milady, yes I believe that's how it is..." (Elise) walks by my side until we have gotten outside. "I am your servant, in contract I have a duty to protect and serve milady because... I... ah..."

I was waiting for Elise to continue her words but she stopped giving me a wide smile instead, "I've been rambling too much, milady. Let's not keep the carriage waiting now?"

"But Elise, I want to know what you were about to say." I told her but she ignores me and looks forward into the direction of the hallway, not stopping to glance at me again. Her expression was smiling, but why is it that it feels so forced?

"Milady, we can't afford for you to be late. Come now." (Elise) mutters once more clearly adamant about not wanting to stay on the same topic for long. I bit my lip feeling so curious, she looks like she has more to say but...

"Alright... being late is the last impression I want to give the hosts. You'll be accompanying me right, Elise?" I asked her wanting to hold her hand as we walked for some reason but... I can't.

Elise nodded instead and reassured me. "I will be with you always, milady." the moment that she said that, her eyes seemed so soft with the way she looked at me.

 

Elise, the maid who was the only one who stayed by Scarlett's side. Even through all those tortures, punishments, and the abuse. You stayed even if you kept getting hurt and smiled when you met my eyes.

"Ugh...." I held my head protectively feeling something was wrong. Really, what are you hiding from me?

 

Elise also noticed that I was holding my head in pain, "Milady are you alright- are you unwell? You've been getting these headaches these past week... should we call a doctor?" (Elise) places her hand on my forehead but I take it off maybe a little too roughly.

I waved off her concern for me and looked serious. "It was nothing. Come, let us continue." We didn't talk for a bit after that. I needed to collect my thoughts and focus on the mission at hand.

Both of us entered the carriage with my family crest on it, having distinct unique patterns but it was clear that we were a family that serves in the military for the two swords clashing in the middle. "Be careful, milady." (Elise)

 

"Thank you." I told her and sat on the furthest side of the carriage. Elise seemed content with her service and was about to go. Wait, so she's not going to sit with me? "Wait a moment- Where will you sit?" I ask her and she points at the front with the coachman who tries his best to keep to himself.

I shake my head and pat the seat beside me. "No. Don't sit there, it's filthy, I don't want my companion maid being filthy by the time we get there. Sit with... me..." she looked at me a little surprised but she shook her head and refused my offer.

"A servant and... her master should not sit together, milady so I shall be in the front. I'll be right with you shortly." (Elise) waves farewell at my direction and goes up to the front of the carriage.

I was left all alone to look at the window... with my arms crossed and my lips pouting. I know what she said was right but- I hate how she wouldn't sit next to me. "Hmph."

Clack! Clack! Clack!

The carriage's wheels moved. Our next stop of visit, Lady Rebecca's home. Hmph, those noble ladies best be prepared for the new Scarlett De Chevalier. I looked into the mirror and saw my grinning lips. I look forward to dominating this tea party.

Thank you to my patreon!
Platymage
40